Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

04-23-2022, 02:21 AM   #133
Barnsleyshaun
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330E MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKi4M50 View Post
Order was placed with BMW UK on October 11th.
You’ve done well, placed mine mid august and supposed to be being built next week.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 08:09 AM   #134
UKi4M50
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G30,E46,MB,VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnsleyshaun View Post
YouÂ’ve done well, placed mine mid august and supposed to be being built next week.
AFAIK October 11th was the day when BMW UK opened their order system to allow dealers to order the i4. Prior to that there was no official mechanism to order the car with BMW UK and hence with BMW AG. So ‘orders’ prior to October 11th were really placeholders or expressions of interest between you and your BMW dealer. If you then factor in the way allocations work where dealers only get cars if they have an allocation. My dealer had been allocated i4 and i4 M50 so my order did not have to wait for an allocation.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 09:25 AM   #135
Pet0r
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
AFAIK October 11th was the day when BMW UK opened their order system to allow dealers to order the i4. Prior to that there was no official mechanism to order the car with BMW UK and hence with BMW AG. So ‘orders’ prior to October 11th were really placeholders or expressions of interest between you and your BMW dealer. If you then factor in the way allocations work where dealers only get cars if they have an allocation. My dealer had been allocated i4 and i4 M50 so my order did not have to wait for an allocation.
I don't think is true - I placed my preorder June 6th and as you say, it was just an expression of interest (however I had signed finance questionnaires etc.). But I have a full BMW order sheet with factory order number and expected delivery day which I received on 25th August 2021 (and is dated as 25th August) - so well before October. My car was built last week and is waiting for transportation from the factory so as was said above I think you've done quite well!

Last edited by Pet0r; 04-23-2022 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 10:20 AM   #136
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I placed my M50 order in 11/11/2021.
The dealer rang me this week to say I am unlikely to receive my order this year!
I was their 3rd order and part of their allocation of 8 for 2022. They are getting cars 1 & 2 with no word on subsequent cars.
They told me they have sold 15 i4's. These waits could become 18 months plus soon, if this is common to all.
      04-24-2022, 02:37 AM   #137
ColinL_UK
Col
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Garage List
I've had I4 M50 on order since late September 21 which is scheduled for July.. (I hope)

Portimao Blue Met
Red Leather
Tech plus Pack
Visibility Pack
Comfort Pack
Interior Carbon trim

I've been reading the threads on wheel size and range and recently and begrudgingly have dropped the tech pack which puts on the 20" rims and gone back to the 19"'s. The bigger wheels look really great but the range hit is really significant, the difference for me from getting into London and home on a single charge. Still those alloys…….

On a different note, any company car drivers who plan to charge mostly at home, and claim for business miles - do you have any rates agreed with your employers?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 04:34 AM   #138
Pet0r
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinL_UK View Post
I've been reading the threads on wheel size and range and recently and begrudgingly have dropped the tech pack which puts on the 20" rims and gone back to the 19"'s. The bigger wheels look really great but the range hit is really significant, the difference for me from getting into London and home on a single charge. Still those alloys…….
Same for me, would have loved the 20s but that range hit is really heavy.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 04:58 AM   #139
UKi4M50
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G30,E46,MB,VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet0r View Post
I don't think is true - I placed my preorder June 6th and as you say, it was just an expression of interest (however I had signed finance questionnaires etc.). But I have a full BMW order sheet with factory order number and expected delivery day which I received on 25th August 2021 (and is dated as 25th August) - so well before October. My car was built last week and is waiting for transportation from the factory so as was said above I think you've done quite well!
What I have posted is true to the best of my knowledge and has been confirmed by my BMW dealer representative.
My car was also built last week and is expected to be on a ferry later this week.
You pre-ordered which is not the same as ordering. An order is only an order once it has been submitted to the BMW AG order system which only allowed dealers to order i4 on October 5th.(just checked the screenshot of my order on BMW AG) Prior to that the pre-order process was in place which is a way of BMW gauging the level of initial orders. In theory, pre-ordering should mean you get your car earlier as it is a way of securing a position in the queue. When official ordering opens on the BMW AG production system then pre-orders are transferred. All pre-orders only become real orders when they are transferred to the BMW AG order system - yours would have been transferred either automatically or manually on October 5th. Note that even so your order may have been with a dealer that did not have an allocation at that stage. Whilst orders are collected and sent to BMW AG, BMW UK then decides how to allocate cars to dealers - this allocation process occurs on all sorts of criteria such as size of dealer, number of cars sold, desirability of cars and other less measureable criteria like how well regarded your dealer/dealer group is to BMW UK. So even though dealers had pre-orders for i4 it does not necessarily follow that they had the allocations.
I was following the allocation process quite closely with my dealer and even though they were allowed to order on October 5th - they did not at that stage know how many cars they had been allocated. They finally got confirmation of an allocation in late November although I had been informed in early October that I would have their first customer car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
The dealer rang me this week to say I am unlikely to receive my order this year!
I was their 3rd order and part of their allocation of 8 for 2022. They are getting cars 1 & 2 with no word on subsequent cars.
They told me they have sold 15 i4's. These waits could become 18 months plus soon, if this is common to all.
Your story is a good example of how allocations work but I am not sure about your dealer allocation of 8 for 2022. AFAIK guaranteed allocations come quarterly although they might have been given a heads up that they may receive 8 in the year. There is also the case that dealers push favourite customers up the queue in front of customers who placed an order much earlier. Not saying that has happened with you but it does happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinL_UK View Post
I've had I4 M50 on order since late September 21 which is scheduled for July.. (I hope)

Portimao Blue Met
Red Leather
Tech plus Pack
Visibility Pack
Comfort Pack
Interior Carbon trim

I went for 19" wheels for the very same reason - I will be driving mine into London too. Again your pre-order date and your scheduled production date illustrate that pre-ordering does not necessarily guarantee the timeliness of delivery. My guess would be that your dealer has other pre-orders in front of you which have taken up their previous allocations.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004106.50
      04-24-2022, 06:07 AM   #140
Pet0r
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What I have posted is true to the best of my knowledge and has been confirmed by my BMW dealer representative.
My car was also built last week and is expected to be on a ferry later this week.
You pre-ordered which is not the same as ordering. An order is only an order once it has been submitted to the BMW AG order system which only allowed dealers to order i4 on October 5th.(just checked the screenshot of my order on BMW AG)
I have also been following the order/allocation process quite closely, and I have an order sheet dated 25th August with a BMW AG order number and I was able to track it with BMW on live chat since that date so make of that what you will. If I call BMW (not the dealership) themselves and ask when the "order" was placed they have told me 25th August.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 01:12 PM   #141
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive MHT G20

Quote:
What dealer are you working with? I had a really bad run around with Sytner Cov.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 02:54 PM   #142
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4monks View Post
Quote:
What dealer are you working with? I had a really bad run around with Sytner Cov.
Lloyd Cockermouth. They have previously been quite good with me.
I wonder if they are just too small and just can't get the allocation compared to bigger dealers.
      05-01-2022, 06:37 AM   #143
Adeyo
Private
Rep
Drives: i4 e40 M Sport

Ouch some tough waiting times here.

I placed my order 13/10 and received my car 08/04 - granted mine is an e40 and not a m50.

I have the 19 inch rims and have to say if I had the choice between 20 and 19 I'd defo stick with the 19 for the range!

Although it's maybe me with range anxiety, but every little helps!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 11:04 AM   #144
ColinL_UK
Col
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Garage List
i4 M50 Order update

Name:  i4 m50 update.PNG
Views: 993
Size:  130.4 KB

Well its slipped a bit but its gone from 111 to 112 status, which I think is good!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 09:10 AM   #145
Barnsleyshaun
Private First Class
England
Rep

Mine is now in the UK, hopefully be at dealer next week.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 04:22 AM   #146
BryanC84
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 45e M Sport

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Mine has finally moved to Status 112. Build date is W/C 30th May, Delivery end of June.

CANNOT F**KING WAIT!

M50
Frozen Portimao Blue
19" 861M Wheels w/ Red Calipers
Black with Blue stitching Vernasca
Rhombicle Trim
Comfort Pack
Tech Plus Pack
Visibility Pack
Shadowline Exterior
Shadowline Lights

Wont be getting it immediately though, as the front end is going to be XPEL Stealth PPF'd
      05-10-2022, 12:17 PM   #147
FurlongHokie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanC84 View Post
Mine has finally moved to Status 112. Build date is W/C 30th May, Delivery end of June.

CANNOT F**KING WAIT!

M50
Frozen Portimao Blue
Rhombicle Trim
Comfort Pack
Tech Plus Pack
Visibility Pack
Shadowline Exterior
Shadowline Lights

Wont be getting it immediately though, as the front end is going to be XPEL Stealth PPF'd
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanC84 View Post

CANNOT F**KING WAIT!

M50
Frozen Portimao Blue
Rhombicle Trim
Comfort Pack
Tech Plus Pack
Visibility Pack
Shadowline Exterior
Shadowline Lights

You're putting stealth on top of matte paint? Isn't that overkill? Why not get a non-frozen color and then addd the stealth wrap for the matte look?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 01:03 PM   #148
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive MHT G20

So, here's the story.. I placed my order (deposit) in August 2021. Ordered submitted when the books were open in early Aug 2021. However, Sytner Cov, put a requested prod date of June 2022 on the order to BMW AG. Bottom line is they never revisited the requested/required date. I know they have delivered more i4 M50s or have real production dates for them. They even offered me a cancelled order... a cancelled i4 M50 - rare as hen's teeth, I know, but the wrong interior and spec. I've wasted so much "wait time" with them. I personally believe they completely mismanaged the original order and of course now say you won't get anything this year, despite numerous M50s being delivered or with productions date with them. All completely "out of their control" now - which may be true, but during the early stages it wasn't. Order cancelled - probably what they wanted all along as I haggled Ł2.5k off list.... again, rare as hen's teeth. I have an MYP on order now as a backup. I may go the Kia EV6 GT route.. drive one - also very nice, but again... back at the starting blocks. So disappointed with the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 01:13 PM   #149
Pet0r
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurlongHokie View Post
You're putting stealth on top of matte paint? Isn't that overkill? Why not get a non-frozen color and then addd the stealth wrap for the matte look?
Stealth film is what you put on top of matte paint - you don't put normal film on it or it makes it look glossy.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 05:01 PM   #150
FurlongHokie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50 (on order)

Quote:
Quote:
Stealth film is what you put on top of matte paint - you don't put normal film on it or it makes it look glossy.
Quote:
Quote:
What is this then?

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 03:23 AM   #151
Pet0r
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What is this then?

I'm confused - that video is showing stealth film on top of glossy paint which makes the paint look matte which was the intended finish in this case.

Just the same way that if you have matte paint and don't use stealth film you will get a glossy finish.

PPF is primarily to protect the paintwork not to change its appearance, so if you already have a matte colour you need a stealth film - I am doing exactly the same on my Frozen Portimao Blue M50.

Last edited by Pet0r; 05-11-2022 at 03:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 09:30 AM   #152
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
I'm confused - that video is showing stealth film on top of glossy paint which makes the paint look matte which was the intended finish in this case.

Just the same way that if you have matte paint and don't use stealth film you will get a glossy finish.

PPF is primarily to protect the paintwork not to change its appearance, so if you already have a matte colour you need a stealth film - I am doing exactly the same on my Frozen Portimao Blue M50.
I'm of the same mindset as FurlongHokie ... you're wasting your money buying the Frozen Portimao from BMW if you intend to apply Xpel PPF anyway. Ordering a regular Metallic Portimao and applying the Stealth (Matte) Xpel PPF will give you the same appearance of "frozen" color, plus the added benefit of PPF.

I plan to get mine in regular Portimao and wrap the entire car in Stealth PPF. I'm worried about paint match should the car ever need to be repainted in the future with the frozen color, as well as have heard that rock chips/scratches show more on matte paint. I figured PPF on entire car was the way to go
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2022, 06:11 PM   #153
Barnsleyshaun
Private First Class
England
Rep

Car landing with dealer next Wednesday- picking it up on Friday
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 02:42 PM   #154
Space Cadet
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M50, E71 40dx, E46 330 vert

Finally got an order number 6 weeks after placing the order. Now at code 047 - Order Bank. Dealer estimating 12 months from order to delivery based on other orders with them.
Appreciate 0