BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #1
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Anyone find Project Management (PMP) Training worth it? How about Six Sigma?

Just took a week long course that is intended to prep you for the PMP exam.

I'm a Marketing Exec at a Packaged Goods Company and wanted to invest in myself and pick up some great concepts - but I felt the course let me down. It lacked substance and I'm wondering if it was just my training (or 4 day crash coarse).

I was also considering Six Sigma training as well...but would I be wasting my time considering how this PMP training just went?

Any thoughts for a Black Belt or PMP?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 09:40 AM   #2
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
I am PMP certified and the sole purpose I got it was to be able to be qualified for some positions that specifically ask for it and also get a leg up on other PMs. Now if you ask me if having the certification made me a better PM, the answer is a big fat no.

What you described with the course is a testament to the fact that the certification is hard to study for and you have to check out common sense at the door when studying for it. The crash course is just to get you through the exam and nothing more. If you have the time and energy, go for an MBA or a more specialized certification/masters degree rather than PMP/6Sigmas out there.

Good luck!

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I hire Project Managers and I completely ignore these qualifications. The individuals who had them were quite rigid thinkers and struggled to think on their feet and react accordingly when things fell outside their comfort box.

That doesn't mean i would not hire someone with these qualifications but i don't let it influence me at all.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #4
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Another thing, i feel they are better suited to positions a level higher than they suggest. it really is more about big picture thinking and systems processes rather than the ability to effectively manage projects at the hands on level.

A Director or VP may be better suited to the course than a Manager or Snr Manager imho.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #5
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Depends on the organization. Mine has been much heavier on Lean and buys into that philosophy, so I have the appropriate Lean certifications. I would definitely check to see which preference your organization has. If your organization, or the one you are interested in, doesn't have either Lean or Six Sigma I would consider going into Lean. There seems to be a trend of Lean over Six Sigma lately that I've been noticing. Both however, are similar in goals.

I do believe you get MUCH more value out of Lean or Six Sigma versus PMP. About half the project managers here have PMP. I don't have it but haven't really seen any difference between those that have it versus those that don't, especially from a career perspective. Another person above mentioned that some people with PMP are far more rigid and less flexible. I have also experienced this as well.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2017, 11:43 AM   #6
fun ticket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I hire Project Managers and I completely ignore these qualifications. The individuals who had them were quite rigid thinkers and struggled to think on their feet and react accordingly when things fell outside their comfort box.

That doesn't mean i would not hire someone with these qualifications but i don't let it influence me at all.
Spot on comment. I have found this to be true relative to personnel with other certs as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 12:13 PM   #7
jlo0109
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
Just took a week long course that is intended to prep you for the PMP exam.

I'm a Marketing Exec at a Packaged Goods Company and wanted to invest in myself and pick up some great concepts - but I felt the course let me down. It lacked substance and I'm wondering if it was just my training (or 4 day crash coarse).

I was also considering Six Sigma training as well...but would I be wasting my time considering how this PMP training just went?

Any thoughts for a Black Belt or PMP?
PMP is like MBA... it looks nice to have it but not necessary to obtain jobs in PM industry nowadays. I would look into Scrum Master, Scrum Owner, and Agile Project Management certificates as they are more relevant and are competitive certifications to have. I work in tech/travel industry where PMOs play a huge role in development and tracking. Most of PMs that I work with have PM certificates but all suggest to get Scrum and Agile certifications if people want to stay competitive. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 12:24 PM   #8
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

I just don't buy that a broad "Project Management" course can effectively prepare you for the rigours of the industry specific details that separates the bad from the good from the outstanding performers.

In the end, find a way to get it done on time and to budget, just fucking do it.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 04:20 PM   #9
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMOUPE View Post
I am PMP certified and the sole purpose I got it was to be able to be qualified for some positions that specifically ask for it and also get a leg up on other PMs. Now if you ask me if having the certification made me a better PM, the answer is a big fat no.

What you described with the course is a testament to the fact that the certification is hard to study for and you have to check out common sense at the door when studying for it. The crash course is just to get you through the exam and nothing more. If you have the time and energy, go for an MBA or a more specialized certification/masters degree rather than PMP/6Sigmas out there.

Good luck!
^^^Pretty much the primary driver for my decision. I was just a little let down with the course. First 15 minutes - instructor says, "This isn't teaching you Project Management - it's getting you ready to pass the exam". I'm like what a fucking waste of my next four days.

But I figured the certification would remove 1 potential road block throughout my life - so it's a benefit on the resume!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Another thing, i feel they are better suited to positions a level higher than they suggest. it really is more about big picture thinking and systems processes rather than the ability to effectively manage projects at the hands on level.

A Director or VP may be better suited to the course than a Manager or Snr Manager imho.
^^^I'm currently at that level career-wise. I could appreciate certain components of the class...but it really felt basic and bland. It was more about understanding the concepts and definitions than it was putting actual process into practice...which was the let down. Totally agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo0109 View Post
PMP is like MBA... it looks nice to have it but not necessary to obtain jobs in PM industry nowadays. I would look into Scrum Master, Scrum Owner, and Agile Project Management certificates as they are more relevant and are competitive certifications to have. I work in tech/travel industry where PMOs play a huge role in development and tracking. Most of PMs that I work with have PM certificates but all suggest to get Scrum and Agile certifications if people want to stay competitive. Just my 2 cents.
I've looked into SCRUM lightly as I always thought the Black Belt was the holy grail of lean management. I'll definitely take a look at SCRUM though!!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #10
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

There's no way a 4day boot camp crash course is going to teach you PM...Lol Those are designed to get the active 35hrs requirement and specifically prep for the cert exam. The exam is not easy and you can't just walk in and take it, you have to show some experience under your belt first. Having the PMP cert should increase your salary and project/employment prospects...if you can get it, get it! ... and watch what happens when you update your LinkedIn profile with it.
A LSS-BB is also desirable but Quality positions that pay any $ are specialized. Meaning towards software or construction etc... which also means they want an engineering degree in the field behind it. Big part of this is that most companies still don't comprehend a REAL quality role and they just associate the cost of quality as required, so for instance they'll take an engineer and put him to work in the QA aspect but at that point that engineer will more than likely just follow a pre-built checklist/procedure and not have the QA mindset/experience to truly QA/LSS the item/process/service...etc.

Either way, I think the more you prepare yourself the more opportunities you'll be ready and qualified for.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 09:20 PM   #11
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Some places are big on 6Sigma etc and you will have an edge but other places could care less
Appreciate 0