09-29-2017, 11:10 AM   #67
Kev312
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
So how does the rest of the civilised world manage it then? If anything your crimes rates in the US are relatively high compared to comparable democracies in Canada, Australia, NZ, UK etc.

I admit that there's SO MANY guns in the US you likely need one but the entire premise in and of itself is absolutely stupid.
You do realize there are immense differences in population density and population distribution across the US compared to CA, AU, NZ, UK, etc. Now, combine that with the fact we've also been a "right to bare arms" nation since the constitution, so firearms have always been a part of our nation, as a given freedom. So, we exercise that right. Because of that, we have the manage our system based on that right, so it's completely different from that of other nations.

That leaves us as the responsible parties to make sure things like this don't happen, but we can't sit around and hold everyone's hand to make sure they are doing the right thing. We can advocate and educate, and of course, hold people responsible who are negligent. That's all there is to it.
Appreciate 1
stooker2752.50
      09-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #68
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

We don't have the autobahn here either though I want It. Why? Because our society is so diverse knuckleheads would be dying and killing others like flies. What works in societies with homogenous cultures doesnt work here. When I grew up 40 min outside of NYC, you could see dozens of pickups with gun racks in the Windows loaded with shotguns at the high school. It was normal because kids would hunt after school. Can't do that now do to gun zealots. Not one of those kids did a school shooting. Sad how things have "progressed".
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 12:11 PM   #69
TomHudson
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
We don't have the autobahn here either though I want It. Why? Because our society is so diverse knuckleheads would be dying and killing others like flies. What works in societies with homogenous cultures doesnt work here. When I grew up 40 min outside of NYC, you could see dozens of pickups with gun racks in the Windows loaded with shotguns at the high school. It was normal because kids would hunt after school. Can't do that now do to gun zealots. Not one of those kids did a school shooting. Sad how things have "progressed".
That's because city dwelling liberals know better about everything, everywhere. It's not unique to the US; you'll find the same know-it-alls in every large city across Canada and probably the world.

Emotional lead arguements in spite of logic AND statistics seems to be the governing factor in socital change these days...
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2017, 12:15 PM   #70
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHudson View Post
That's because city dwelling liberals know better about everything, everywhere. It's not unique to the US; you'll find the same know-it-alls in every large city across Canada and probably the world.

Emotional lead arguements in spite of logic AND statistics seems to be the governing factor in socital change these days...
I hope that was sarcasm.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 12:32 PM   #71
TomHudson
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Of course! Lol.

This is the 'other' crap I was referring too!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 12:34 PM   #72
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Madness.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 06:42 AM   #73
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
You can't legislate stupid out of the equation.
Doesn't mean we don't try. <sigh>
      10-03-2017, 02:00 AM   #74
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliverman View Post
It's the people not the instrument.
Timing couldn’t have been more perfect.

The gunman in Vegas couldn’t have carried out the massacre with hand guns. Semi automatics and fully automatics have no business in ANY civilian hands.

So it’s both the people AND the instrument.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 02:19 AM   #75
stooker
F80 n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 / '06 S2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by HXS View Post

The gunman in Vegas couldn’t have carried out the massacre with hand guns. Semi automatics and fully automatics have no business in ANY civilian hands.

Of course it's the instrument, but what's your point? It could have very well been an explosive device, truck, or even one of the two airplanes the shooter owned. I'd argue any of those three would have killed more people.

If a person wants to kill other people, they will find a way, especially if self preservation is not a priority.

2018 F80 / 2006 S2K / 2005 WRX / 1990 E30 325i
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      10-03-2017, 06:39 AM   #76
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooker View Post
Of course it's the instrument, but what's your point? It could have very well been an explosive device, truck, or even one of the two airplanes the shooter owned. I'd argue any of those three would have killed more people.

If a person wants to kill other people, they will find a way, especially if self preservation is not a priority.
Exactly. Want to know why rifles are better? 98% of murder by firearm are by pistol. You can't conceal a rifle walking around. It's useful for farms protecting the farm, and you can outrun a home invader with one, which I have. Finally, the whole point of the second amendmamendment is to allow the people to protect themselves against tyranny and invasion. Not to hunt squirrels. Let's see how the plays out. Did he have them legally? Why were they full auto, was he mentally ill, etc. Then judge.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 01:38 PM   #77
cliverman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HXS View Post

The instrument can't act alone. That freak in Vegas had, how many illegal weapons? Criminals find a way. You can have as many laws as you like but they will be broken by those who don't care - so we can disagree. The people are the problem.
2015 F82 ///M4 (Ret.)
2011 E92 ///M3 (Ret.)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 01:42 PM   #78
cliverman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Exactly. Want to know why rifles are better? 98% of murder by firearm are by pistol. You can't conceal a rifle walking around. It's useful for farms protecting the farm, and you can outrun a home invader with one, which I have. Finally, the whole point of the second amendmamendment is to allow the people to protect themselves against tyranny and invasion. Not to hunt squirrels. Let's see how the plays out. Did he have them legally? Why were they full auto, was he mentally ill, etc. Then judge.
He had the guns legally but having them "made" automatic is not legal in any state (except for pre-existing weapons that were grandfathered in.??)
Had to be fucking nutz to commit a crime of this nature - no question he was mentally ill.
2015 F82 ///M4 (Ret.)
2011 E92 ///M3 (Ret.)
Appreciate 0