Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing

10-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #1
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Media Storage and Streaming

I want to get people's opinions on reliable media storage and streaming it to a TV or tablet/computer. I have probably 500-1000 dvds and I want to clear up some space in my house by getting rid of them, so my plan is to rip them onto some large capacity hard drives and be able to stream them to my televisions/tablets and then donate or sell the physical dvds.

I'm looking at a drobo, but there are mixed reviews on amazon. Does anyone have any real world experience doing something like this, if so what do you use? I don't want to spend thousands of dollars, but I also don't want something that breaks in a year and I have to go through the pain of trying to recover the data or something that doesn't stream as fast as I would need.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #2
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep

Also, probably looking at a need for like 4-6 TB's realistically.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

I have a couple synology disk stations and they have been great. I stream full blurays and tv shows from there over lan and have never had issues.

Synologys software has a lot of features as well.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
i use synology diskstations professionally. awesome NAS solutions.

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2015, 07:09 PM   #5
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the responses. I know with the Drobo there is an interface called plex that works well. Do you guys know if there is something similar to use with synology or if I'd be able to use plex as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkA8A0A View Post
Thanks for the responses. I know with the Drobo there is an interface called plex that works well. Do you guys know if there is something similar to use with synology or if I'd be able to use plex as well?
Plex works with synology as long as you don't upgrade to the latest beta software. It isn't compatible with that yet
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #7
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep

Went with the Synology DS414...now I just need to buy 4 hard drives.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep

I guess my last question. Do I need to buy 4 drives or can I just buy 2 now and then 2 later and just pop them in for additional storage when I need them without having to reconfigure everything?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #9
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I guess my last question. Do I need to buy 4 drives or can I just buy 2 now and then 2 later and just pop them in for additional storage when I need them without having to reconfigure everything?
Depends on what raid configuration you choose. If you are starting with 2 drives, you are probably going to do a raid 0 or raid 1. With raid 0 you couldn't expand, but could build another array with the 2 new drives later. With raid 1 you could expand if you add another two drives together.

That being said I would recommend getting all 4 drives and doing a raid 6 or raid 5.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 01:36 PM   #10
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Depends on what raid configuration you choose. If you are starting with 2 drives, you are probably going to do a raid 0 or raid 1. With raid 0 you couldn't expand, but could build another array with the 2 new drives later. With raid 1 you could expand if you add another two drives together.

That being said I would recommend getting all 4 drives and doing a raid 6 or raid 5.
All so confusing to a noob. My understanding is if you do a Raid 5, you can lose one drive and still recover everything and if you do a Raid 6, you can lose 2 drives? Does this mean you only have 50-75% of the storage available? In other words, if I get 4 X 2TB's, and I choose Raid 5, I'll only have 6TB of usable storage?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #11
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
All so confusing to a noob. My understanding is if you do a Raid 5, you can lose one drive and still recover everything and if you do a Raid 6, you can lose 2 drives? Does this mean you only have 50-75% of the storage available? In other words, if I get 4 X 2TB's, and I choose Raid 5, I'll only have 6TB of usable storage?
Yes that is correct. Synology has a good calculator too.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator

I would recommend getting the biggest size drives your budget will allow. The issue with getting 4 2tb drives now, is that if you need more space later, your only option would be to replace all 4 drives, and rebuild the array one by one. Each drive could take a day or two to rebuild.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #12
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Yes that is correct. Synology has a good calculator too.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator

I would recommend getting the biggest size drives your budget will allow. The issue with getting 4 2tb drives now, is that if you need more space later, your only option would be to replace all 4 drives, and rebuild the array one by one. Each drive could take a day or two to rebuild.
That's awesome. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 05:21 PM   #13
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
I want to get people's opinions on reliable media storage and streaming it to a TV or tablet/computer. I have probably 500-1000 dvds and I want to clear up some space in my house by getting rid of them, so my plan is to rip them onto some large capacity hard drives and be able to stream them to my televisions/tablets and then donate or sell the physical dvds.

I'm looking at a drobo, but there are mixed reviews on amazon. Does anyone have any real world experience doing something like this, if so what do you use? I don't want to spend thousands of dollars, but I also don't want something that breaks in a year and I have to go through the pain of trying to recover the data or something that doesn't stream as fast as I would need.
I know I'm tardy to the party here but I have a Drobo and it has worked really well for me. I have 4 2TB drives and use it to stream through my appletv. I have an older version of the Drobo but it still does everything it's supposed to. Thank being said I also have a backup 3TB drive that I use just in case things magically disappear because I have also read those reviews on Amazon.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #14
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP86 View Post
I know I'm tardy to the party here but I have a Drobo and it has worked really well for me. I have 4 2TB drives and use it to stream through my appletv. I have an older version of the Drobo but it still does everything it's supposed to. Thank being said I also have a backup 3TB drive that I use just in case things magically disappear because I have also read those reviews on Amazon.
That's awesome, my friend has a drobo and has had no problems with it, either.

I finally got mine all set up and am pulling movies off the DVDs off one by one, which is a tedious process but the streaming is awesome and I'm loving the fact that all of these things will be out of my sight for good!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 02:02 PM   #15
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
That's awesome, my friend has a drobo and has had no problems with it, either.

I finally got mine all set up and am pulling movies off the DVDs off one by one, which is a tedious process but the streaming is awesome and I'm loving the fact that all of these things will be out of my sight for good!
Thats exactly why I have one, I really like having a separate media storage area that doesn't require any extra work. When I was in college and had the original appletv I had to run my pc to stream to my appletv because there was no other way I could afford at the time. This is much...MUCH better.
Appreciate 0