Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
Almost switched to an iPhone, didn't have a headphone jack, bought a Galaxy S8. Much happier. Fuck Apple.
Bluetooth/Carplay/AndriodAuto vehicle connections, bluetooth headphones in the sub $30 range... welcome to 2015, where there is zero need for 3.5mm jack and poor quality audio. I'm sure you'll catch up someday.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #24
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Bluetooth/Carplay/AndriodAuto vehicle connections, bluetooth headphones in the sub $30 range... welcome to 2015, where there is zero need for 3.5mm jack and poor quality audio. I'm sure you'll catch up someday.
For what purpose, I get excellent sound quality out of both of my cars. Plug in, hit play, and go. Very simple, very basic. No extra nannies in the car that are worthless like iDrive.

Also, my Bose 3.5mm quiet comfort sound perfect. No need for bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #25
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:
Almost switched to an iPhone, didn't have a headphone jack, bought a Galaxy S8. Much happier. Fuck Apple.
As an iPhone 7+ user, this is crazy talk. Audio quality of BT headphones is awful. I have Beats X and they're so bad compared to my wired Etymotics or certainly my AKG headphones. I still use the dumb dongle to listen to corded cans, which is a pain if you've got a low battery. It's a dumb design, full stop.

Now the 8 should fix it since it will have wireless charging and either a Lightning or USB-C connection to dongle my headphones back in.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #26
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Did Apple remove the headphone jack maybe 1 year early? Meh, maybe...but they released Airpods (which work great). The days of wired headphones on mobile devices are numbered for a reason. Tangles, annoying cords getting in the way, etc.

You'll see Samsung and the rest of the Android lineup (some already have) remove the headphone jack sooner than later. Apple actually released wireless headphones that work damn near perfectly, as long as you don't have weird ears that can't hold them.

Apple also gave everyone an adapter and you can always buy wired headphones with a lightning port. It's not like people have really expensive headphones for mobile use and if you do, use the dongle.

To me, it isn't a reason to not buy the iPhone, just an excuse Android owners make to justify staying with subpar phones. What good does 6GB of RAM do on an Android if it can't even keep the same apps open an iPhone does with 2GB of RAM?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #27
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
For what purpose, I get excellent sound quality out of both of my cars. Plug in, hit play, and go. Very simple, very basic. No extra nannies in the car that are worthless like iDrive.

Also, my Bose 3.5mm quiet comfort sound perfect. No need for bluetooth.
My QC25 with 3.5mm sound good as well, but my QC35 with bluetooth are easier and sound better.

I have not missed my 3.5mm at all, the only place I used it was in my Z4 but I just leave the adapter on the 3.5mm that was in there and it is still just plug and play now.

I will say that I was disappointed, I was going to buy a new Mac last year and the move to only having USB-c with no USB-A was a deal breaker for me. Good thing my 2013 MacBook Air is still fast enough to outrun a lot of 1 year old PC laptops with better battery life as well.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #28
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Well there's your problem. No Bose sound good. So yeah, maybe an improved Bose over BT does sound better than a lesser corded Bose, but a $15 pair of gas station headphones will sound better than either.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 11:04 AM   #29
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Bose makes crap/expensive products.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 11:09 AM   #30
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

Just bought a note 8 from using a Iphone 7 Plus for almost a year. Going back to the master race feels good man.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 11:22 AM   #31
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
For casual listening, I would agree. For audiophiles, there is no BT that cuts it. There is a noticeable sound quality difference. BT 4.0 is quite lossy.

I'm an apple fan. I love how my phone, tablet, computer, watch, and tv all work seamlessly with each other. Losing the headphone jack I'm really not a fan of.

Last edited by pz619; 09-07-2017 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 11:30 AM   #32
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Did Apple remove the headphone jack maybe 1 year early? Meh, maybe...but they released Airpods (which work great). The days of wired headphones on mobile devices are numbered for a reason. Tangles, annoying cords getting in the way, etc.

You'll see Samsung and the rest of the Android lineup (some already have) remove the headphone jack sooner than later. Apple actually released wireless headphones that work damn near perfectly, as long as you don't have weird ears that can't hold them.

Apple also gave everyone an adapter and you can always buy wired headphones with a lightning port. It's not like people have really expensive headphones for mobile use and if you do, use the dongle.

To me, it isn't a reason to not buy the iPhone, just an excuse Android owners make to justify staying with subpar phones. What good does 6GB of RAM do on an Android if it can't even keep the same apps open an iPhone does with 2GB of RAM?

I'm sure they will remove it, but it's one of the main reasons I didn't go with iPhone, so they lost that sale. Until Droid does the same, I'll likely stick with them because I have no qualms with a cord and prefer it. Oldschool? Maybe, I don't care for new tech stuff like I did growing up.

I also wouldn't call it subpar. Both Apple and Droid offer products that reach different markets. I'm very please with how all of my phones have operated, and I'm sure I would have been just as happy with how an iPhone operated, simple as that.

Not really sure what good it does, the only apps I use are Tinder and google maps, so that's another sector outside of anything that would affect my views.

Again, it's all personal preference regardless. I'm a simpleton, give me a cord, and I'm happy. Some people are happy with bluetooth. Cest la vie.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #33
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I am an Apple hater of the highest order, i absolutely loathe using their products and being forced to do things their way. However, no doubt the OS for smartphones is smoother than anything from Android, it just is.
You turned my feelings into words.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 12:18 PM   #34
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

I think for a phone, functioning in Apple's iPhone world is sufficient for 95% of consumers. Clearly they don't hold that market share, but lots of people don't by apple due to price, others due to perceived conformity, others just just out of contempt. But few users really need to be able to customize their OS in a way that is actually more efficient for their needs. Apple probably sees that and figures simplicity and ease of use will win the day.

I'm no diehard apple fan, but i run Mac and iPhone products. I hate the Apple TV and feel like iPads are useless. I mean, really, they are just large iPhones without the phone capability. For MY needs, MBP and iPhone fit the bill nicely. Been doing that since 2005 and very seriously doubt i'll be looking to change it up. They are more expensive but in my experience it seems the products stay relevant and dependable for a lot longer than much of their competition. At least from my experience. My wife stuck with BB for a while and still runs PCs at her firm. Her firms IT partner wishes he could convert everything to MBPs over their PC laptops. He says his internal firm support would decrease dramatically and the initial investment would be high, but ROI would start to come in 3 years which is typically how quickly they have to upgrade their PC laptops.

The lack of headphone jack has aggravated me a couple of times when i wanted to charge and listen at the same time. But nothing that really inconvenienced me.
      09-07-2017, 12:28 PM   #35
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
As an iPhone 7+ user, this is crazy talk. Audio quality of BT headphones is awful. I have Beats X and they're so bad compared to my wired Etymotics or certainly my AKG headphones. I still use the dumb dongle to listen to corded cans, which is a pain if you've got a low battery. It's a dumb design, full stop.

Now the 8 should fix it since it will have wireless charging and either a Lightning or USB-C connection to dongle my headphones back in.
+1

Wireless headphones still suck. Unless they start having full wifi bandwidth streaming of music with a quality DAC on the receiving end, it is no where as good as a wired connection.

I use my iphone because it's simple and reliable. I never have to worry about it crashing and I don't remember when I had to reboot it.

As for MAC, I use PC. Can't stand Mac OS.
      09-07-2017, 01:17 PM   #36
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:

Well, you did use a Beats product. Many people bag on Bose. I put Beats in the same category. I like your other choices in cans (Etymotics and AKG).
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 01:20 PM   #37
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
+1

Wireless headphones still suck. Unless they start having full wifi bandwidth streaming of music with a quality DAC on the receiving end, it is no where as good as a wired connection.

I use my iphone because it's simple and reliable. I never have to worry about it crashing and I don't remember when I had to reboot it.

As for MAC, I use PC. Can't stand Mac OS.
Agreed. I remember when I first tried this new fangled Blue Tooth streaming. I immediately shut it off. I couldn't stand the poor sound quality.
Appreciate 2
Z K1887.00
      09-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #38
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
This is what I got off Amazon and I'm using a Tech21 case. So far no issues and works great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XWMZG5N

Days of the headphone jack might be numbered, but I'll continue to support it as long as possible. Old technology works best with my old vehicles.
I just ordered this. Although pricey, looking at the reviews, this seems the one to get.

https://www.amazon.com/Whitestone-Do...alaxy+s8&psc=1

I also got this case.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galax...+keyboard+case
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 01:28 PM   #39
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:

Well, you did use a Beats product. Many people bag on Bose. I put Beats in the same category. I like your other choices in cans (Etymotics and AKG).
True up until Apple had time to launch new products. The X are okay, a non horrible looking Air Pod. They're not fantastic sonically by any stretch, but I blame that more on BT than the actual drivers.

Apple designed beats are worth a look, nothing like the pre Apple products which were Bose levels of bad. For a workout headphone where you're in a noisy environment, the Beats X are more enjoyable and certainly more playful than the Etymotics, and unsurprisingly, better driven directly from the iPhone without an external amp or DAC, which I use for the Ety and AKG.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5149.50
      09-07-2017, 01:29 PM   #40
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:

Found your problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 01:29 PM   #41
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
iMessage is annoying attempt at lock in by Apple - and doesn't everyone use whatsapp now?

Will be interesting to see the new iPhone - my Pixel XL w/ Oreo is pretty good with a few annoyances. IOS does seem more stable and simplified, downside you have to live in the ecosystem.
Doesn't whatsapp do exactly what you are saying - force people to use whatsapp to receive or send messages to other people with whatsapp? Or does whatsapp allow you to send and receive messages to / from people that don't have it? imessage can send / receive to / from Android so it actually doesn't lock you in to Apple if you have any normal data plan.
      09-07-2017, 01:32 PM   #42
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Because... Fan boy? *dunno

I can say this... My LG G6 is foking amazing in every aspect! My best friend is diehard Apple guy and always grabs the lo at esta iPhone and Mac stuff. His iPhone + is a nice device and I won't nor can't take anything from it. But I've played around on it plenty and definitely can't say it fits anything better at all than my G6 of even my wife's Galaxy.
Either way... Enjoy your choice.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      09-07-2017, 01:34 PM   #43
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Quote:

Found your problem.
Again, find me a better wireless workout headphone. I have good headphones, but not for this. They're Apple, not old Beats. Have you actually heard them, or just bashing the old, pre Apple stigma?

I'll say it again, the BT aspect is the most disappointing thing about the Xs, not the Beats part. I'm certainly not a fan of their older stuff, but until someone else makes a sonically superior exercise earphone, these do the trick.

And I was still making fun of them at the expense of the guy who said BT was sonically equivalent, or worse, better than corded.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 01:34 PM   #44
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I just ordered this. Although pricey, looking at the reviews, this seems the one to get.

https://www.amazon.com/Whitestone-Do...alaxy+s8&psc=1

I also got this case.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galax...+keyboard+case
Why they hell you get a physical keyboard case lol. Should have gotten a damn Blackberry, fool!

Either way the screen protector looks nice. I just got a whatever one. If I drop this one and break the screen guess I'll just buy another phone.
Appreciate 0