BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
wwjbd24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 07 335i

Books to read before college

what books would you guys recommend to read before next fall? I have some extra free time and want to get some quality reading in before then!
thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
SantaPimp27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow homie

Harry Potter
      02-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

I recommend you start drinking booze and preparing your liver. The first year of college is a bunch of BS and busy work just to make sure "college is right for you". Relax until you start.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
I recommend you start drinking booze and preparing your liver. The first year of college is a bunch of BS and busy work just to make sure "college is right for you". Relax until you start.
This. You don't want to be that "two beer queer" do ya?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

Quote:
+1

first year is pretty much a review of what you learned in high school. however, if you didn't learn much in high school then you'll probably struggle a bit.
      02-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
45isrightback
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90/240sx s13

02-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjbd24 View Post
what books would you guys recommend to read before next fall? I have some extra free time and want to get some quality reading in before then!
thanks
Depends on what you like. I like Alan Furst. His novels all interconnect in some way, but you don't have to read them in any particular order.

Also, although I'm not a big fan of Dan Brown's writing style, his books, Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons both are great reads.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
just don't party TOO hard and drop out after your first year...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
just don't party TOO hard and drop out after your first year...
I dont know anybody who dropped out from partying too hard. Kicked out.... thats another story. My college did a lot of "reviewing the security footage" and a lot of academic probation and suspensions.

Dropping out from playing World of Warcraft for 16 hours a day.... I've seen a few do that.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
my92
Rep
n/a
Drives:

first year is all about sacrifice. How much fun are you willing to sacrifice in the beginning years of college to make your life easier for your final college years? You can have a lot of fun partying and drinking, etc and do ok but not likely great. Or you can not party so much and just focus on studies and give yourself a big gpa buffer for your later years which will be considerately harder. Most find a good balance but I think you should party it up freshman year as it is the most forgiving... and focus on studies your junior/senior year
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #11
wwjbd24
Private First Class
Rep

does this struggling happen everywhere? i'm attending a highly selective college so would it be similar?

my college has the first semester with covered grades so ill definitely take advantage of that

i did read all the harry potter books as well as all of dan brown's books, but ill look into alan furst, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #12
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I highly recommend "how to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie and perhaps "You can negotiate anything" by Herb Cohen. The former is highly recommended and the latter is only if you would like to pick up some tips that might come in handy in college (and in life). Dale Carnegie also wrote a book titled "how to stop worrying and start living" which is a pretty decent book. It's not as popular as "how to win friends..." nor is it a a breakthrough but it should help you out. College can get very hectic so that book could serve as a checkpoint (so to speak) where you could just relax and take things slow.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
      02-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #13
wwjbd24
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
I highly recommend "how to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie and perhaps "You can negotiate anything" by Herb Cohen. The former is highly recommended and the latter is only if you would like to pick up some tips that might come in handy in college (and in life). Dale Carnegie also wrote a book titled "how to stop worrying and start living" which is a pretty decent book. It's not as popular as "how to win friends..." nor is it a a breakthrough but it should help you out. College can get very hectic so that book could serve as a checkpoint (so to speak) where you could just relax and take things slow.
i knew these looked familiar so i ran to my mom's bookcase and i have these books combined in one, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #14
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjbd24 View Post
does this struggling happen everywhere? i'm attending a highly selective college so would it be similar?

my college has the first semester with covered grades so ill definitely take advantage of that

i did read all the harry potter books as well as all of dan brown's books, but ill look into alan furst, thanks.
Life lesson #1

Straight and to the point. What you say is part of makes you who you are and how other people view you.

Passive aggressively saying "I'm attending a highly selective college" makes you sound like a douche bag with ideas of grandeur who personally believes he is better than everybody around him.

Also, remember, college is the new high school. 30 years ago a high school education was what you needed to concur corporate America. Then it turned into a college education when most began graduating college. Now everybody and their mother has a degree and something and its grad school that tends to be the deal breaker.

So I'm with the guy above that suggest books on interpersonal skills. Most people I know that went to "highly selective colleges" are socially awkward.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #15
len56
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a gentleman

wait are you guys talking about colleges or universities? *clueless*
      02-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #16
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by len56 View Post
wait are you guys talking about colleges or universities? *clueless*
University and College is the same in the US. Post High-school. Secondary education.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #17
wwjbd24
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Life lesson #1

Straight and to the point. What you say is part of makes you who you are and how other people view you.

Passive aggressively saying "I'm attending a highly selective college" makes you sound like a douche bag with ideas of grandeur who personally believes he is better than everybody around him.

Also, remember, college is the new high school. 30 years ago a high school education was what you needed to concur corporate America. Then it turned into a college education when most began graduating college. Now everybody and their mother has a degree and something and its grad school that tends to be the deal breaker.

So I'm with the guy above that suggest books on interpersonal skills. Most people I know that went to "highly selective colleges" are socially awkward.
hey sorry if i came off the wrong way, i didnt mean to at all. i KNOW im not better than everyone else and did not mean to sound that way. I've had my share of problems and whatnot and do not profess to be perfect in any regard. I only said that because many selective colleges do not have the same social scene as other schools. Note that i did not tell you where i was going until i had a specific question about it.

it's unfortunate that most people you know, who went to highly selective colleges, are socially awkward and fortunately i do not consider myself anything as such. Many of my friends and acquaintances i know have the best personal skills ive ever seen, and have attended some of the most well regarded institutions in the world.

i understand the undergrad degree is very commonplace now and i DO plan on going to grad school, i'm thinking about medicine.

Cheers though, no hard feelings.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #18
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by my92 View Post
first year is all about sacrifice. How much fun are you willing to sacrifice in the beginning years of college to make your life easier for your final college years? You can have a lot of fun partying and drinking, etc and do ok but not likely great. Or you can not party so much and just focus on studies and give yourself a big gpa buffer for your later years which will be considerately harder. Most find a good balance but I think you should party it up freshman year as it is the most forgiving... and focus on studies your junior/senior year
All depends. Most graduate schools, at least in the medical field, dont count your gen.eds, english, and other BS type first year classes into your GPA.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #19
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Where are you doing you're undergrad? Also, send me a PM some time and I'll give you some tips that will pay off in the end.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #20
wwjbd24
Private First Class
Rep

im going to johns hopkins and probably majoring in public health, natural sci option
and i will send that PM, thanks alot
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 11:14 PM   #21
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 11:37 PM   #22
my92
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
All depends. Most graduate schools, at least in the medical field, dont count your gen.eds, english, and other BS type first year classes into your GPA.
I wasn't specifically referring to grad schools. I was talking about internships, jobs, post undergrad overall gpa considerations, and yes also graduate schools but as I am unfamiliar with medical grad schools, I have been told by academic advisors that although the first years aren't as big factors as the concentrational gpa, it still considered when applying for grad school.
Appreciate 0