06-05-2019, 03:31 PM   #45
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
isn't that called the easy "Brexit" option?
aka, the 10th Circle of Hell.... Dante hadn't heard of Brexit when he counted 9 circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post

BTW, Jas, are you planning to go to the Munich PI event in October? I see it's open to alumni as well as newbies, so I sent in my request to attend. Hoping they can spare a Roadster for me to take on the scenic drive.
I have indeed applied I'm doing the Wales one first though
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 02:08 PM   #46
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

I've applied for Munich as well. If I get it, we are planning on attending Oktoberfest for a couple of days before going on the scenic drive
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 03:16 PM   #47
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpond View Post
I've applied for Munich as well. If I get it, we are planning on attending Oktoberfest for a couple of days before going on the scenic drive
Steve, that's great. I briefly met your family in Leipzig last year. We'll have to hook up while we're all in Munich. If I get in, I'll probably arrive a few days beforehand as I've never been to the Welt and want to see that as well as more of Munich. I've been to Octoberfest before, but am always up for hoisting a brew with some of our allies (despite what our Prez seems to suggest they are). Let's hope we all get in.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2019, 02:16 AM   #48
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Aaaagh. Just got a 2019, driving it back to Texas from Ohio. Stopped in Missouri to hang out w my sons, trunk won't open.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 11:15 PM   #49
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Aaaagh. Just got a 2019, driving it back to Texas from Ohio. Stopped in Missouri to hang out w my sons, trunk won't open.
I bet you had a full trunk of luggage or something else that accidentally pulled down on the emergency trunk release handle. Did you finally get it open by simultaneously pressing the key fob trunk release while pushing down on the trunk hatch, as described in this thread?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 04:17 AM   #50
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Might be a new issue. The plastic piece shattered and the spring was bent. I did have a bag that might have pulled the emergency handle. Tech popped it up w little crow bar; we put a piece of tape in to allow pulling it up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #51
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You're right, this is a different issue than I was describing. Interestingly, I also experienced this broken spring housing issue as well, though not at the same time as the emergency handle problem. Just like your photo, the end of the spring housing shattered and the spring popped out, so there was nothing to push the hatch open. My dealer had to order the part, so it took a couple of days to get it replaced. I had never heard of this problem before, so I wonder if there was a change made in the 2019 cars that is causing it (mine is also 2019).
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 11:33 PM   #52
i8alot
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
There's an emergency release for the doors. I think there SHOULD be something similar for the trunk somewhere. But if MalibuBimmer couldn't find any reference of it in the manual then maybe it was just a huge oversight by BMW.
The emergency release for the trunk is, ironically, in the trunk.

Happened to me once. What I did is, while clicking the trunk button on the remote, keep pushing down the glass as if you're giving CPR. It just opened that way.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 10:57 PM   #53
thesubmitter
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 BMW i8 Acura MDX

Sorry to resurrect this thread just had this happen with my new 2019. When i put stuff in it the trunk close but said it was “open” . I checked it and it seemed closed. I drove home and it still said open so i followed the advice here and pushed down forcefully and it used the remote eventually it did the 2 clicks - the unlatch and then the hydraulic push and the trunk opened.

I checked the emergency release which was indeed loose and pulling on it seemed to have no impact, leading me to believe it is stuck open.

I reclipped it and tried closing the trunk but it wouldn’t stay closed . With a screwdriver i played with latch mechanism a bit and then the trunk closed despite the emergency handle still seeming to be loose but the light in the trunk is still on and the app reports it open. I have an appointment on thursday so i will try to get it sorted out
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 05:11 PM   #54
thesubmitter
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 BMW i8 Acura MDX

Update : i took it to the dealer and couldnt get it open this time. The technician said they would open the back window of the car to get to it. I didnt want them to do it yet since i was hoping i would be able to open it again. Now i saw w video saying that there is another release behind the rear bumper, if i dont manage to open it i am going to tell the bmw tech about the release
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 06:53 PM   #55
STLBimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 & 2015 i8

Well, sad to say I’m the latest victim of this i8 bug. Thanks to all for the input. I had to leave the car so I’m hoping for the “miraculous” open or I will try the aggressive CPR/button push option. May also try a trim tool to pry it up while pressing. Trunk has food and a computer in it so likely something hitting the emergency latch. Ill report back…
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 09:37 PM   #56
tommyb13662
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I had this issue before. It seems to happen when items in the trunk snag the emergency cable and it won't let the electrical system pop the trunk. I've only had the issue when I packed the trunk and somehow snagged the emergency cord.

Edit: back seats have always been easier to use than trunk anywho...

Last edited by tommyb13662; 05-18-2022 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 02:59 PM   #57
Vanbmw2010
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i convertible

I've had the same issue before as well, again because of too much stuff in there. I found that by driving around a bit, especially uneven terrain / small bumps - it will somehow make it open, once you stop and try again.

Let us know if that works
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 08:49 AM   #58
BimaXfanatic
Coast gaurd
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kero View Post
Anyone had this problem? Hitting the trunk button just nets a click from the mechanism but the rear glass doesn't open? Is there a way to this manually? My work bag is in there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kero View Post
Anyone had this problem? Hitting the trunk button just nets a click from the mechanism but the rear glass doesn't open? Is there a way to this manually? My work bag is in there...
Your trunk seems stuck ,try hitting it
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 10:56 PM   #59
montyk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW I8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimaXfanatic View Post
Your trunk seems stuck ,try hitting it
LOL

Had this issue on my 2016 and 2019.

Solution if you're not near a dealer is to lock up the car. Then open the trunk using your key fob. Then unlock the doors. The open the driver and passenger doors. Use the trunk release button on the driver side door.

Slam both doors shut and magically one of them will pop the glass on the trunk open.

Get what you need out and do not put anything else in and find a dealer to fix the issue. Seemed to be different issue each time as per the dealer but the trick worked.

Good luck to all.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 09:18 AM   #60
mws
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8, X5M, M760i

I think I skimmed thru the whole thread, did you guys see this?

includes Pat.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 02:37 PM   #61
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

∆ yup... Well no dealership will accept a salvage vehicle for them to work on. They don't want to fix someone else's mistakes and get blamed for it. That's why they won't accept a salvage car for them to work on at the dealer.

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 07:53 PM   #62
mws
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8, X5M, M760i

sure, but why no blade key? That seemed low. And why could Rich not get a blade from a locksmith?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 08:04 AM   #63
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quick update on my side, 2014 i8. I did not encounter this issue until last night, when I threw my football (soccer) equipment bag in the trunk and the handle gut stuck in the trunk latch mechanism. I was able to pry the trunk open by wedging a small tool between the window and latch mechanism.

I have been aware of this issue in general and always been very careful about the trunk, I will pay even more attention!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 11:32 AM   #64
tommyb13662
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Lol I forgot about this issue. Met a fellow i8 owner his is also a 2016. His trunk was packed with stuff. Had the issue. Got it open. His emergency release tag was snages on a bag zipper that was stuffed against the side with the emergency release. It really does seem to mostly happen if you snag the emergency trunk release tag on/with items in the trunk. Then this happens. After I gorilla taped it so it could not get snagged I have yet to have this happen again. Even with the trunk packed no release issues since I taped it securely.
Appreciate 1
ChiTownM1045.50