BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

01-03-2020, 12:03 PM   #1
Romann_28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

2015 I8 warranty runs out, AC compressor goes bad

Has anyone’s electric AC compressor gone bad recently? Mine started making a grinding noise couple days ago!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

A few people have been messaging me about a compressor failure. I posted on the Facebook i8 Group and 8 people responded saying they had the same issue. One had to pay $8k out of warranty because the compressor failed and sent shrapnel throughout the system. I'm going to make a new post on here.
      06-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #3
Romann_28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsgarageonline View Post
A few people have been messaging me about a compressor failure. I posted on the Facebook i8 Group and 8 people responded saying they had the same issue. One had to pay $8k out of warranty because the compressor failed and sent shrapnel throughout the system. I'm going to make a new post on here.
Already fixed it. Bought a used Compressor for $600 and installed it. It's sad people pay thousands for what can be fixed for hundreds...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 11:45 AM   #4
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romann_28 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsgarageonline View Post
Already fixed it. Bought a used Compressor for $600 and installed it. It's sad people pay thousands for what can be fixed for hundreds...
The higher cost is because the grinding noise was likely the compressor sending metal fragments into the refrigerant lines. The cost goes into the labor of not only replacing the compressor but also all of the refrigerant lines and other components. Hopefully you caught yours in time and there aren't any items that'll sneak back up.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 03:46 PM   #5
DFWsCars
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8.

Happened to my 2014. Was a very expensive repair so glad I had a warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 01:24 AM   #6
az989
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Convertible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romann_28 View Post
Did you get an updated unit? because iirc the electric ac compressor got superseded by another part number in 2016, which apparently fixed the issue with the ac.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 02:41 PM   #7
Iain123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I8

Mines started the grind…
If I switch the HVAC fan off it stops. I.e it doesn’t make a difference if I switch the AC button on or off - it always makes a noise with the blower on with the car on. Is the the dreaded compressor failure?

I can drive around with the fan off and it’s fine
or
with the ignition on and the fan on but the car not fully on it’s also fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 10:35 PM   #8
superstar7th
Rep
Drives: bmw i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain123 View Post
Mines started the grind…
If I switch the HVAC fan off it stops. I.e it doesn’t make a difference if I switch the AC button on or off - it always makes a noise with the blower on with the car on. Is the the dreaded compressor failure?

I can drive around with the fan off and it’s fine
or
with the ignition on and the fan on but the car not fully on it’s also fine.
did you ever get this fixed?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 10:41 AM   #9
Iain123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I8

Yes, diagnosed as bad AC compressor as thought although I wasted £160 for the dealer to diagnose it….

It was a puzzle as the AC compressor was not apparently being requested by either the dash button or by a high battery temperature but I still got the rattle with the HVAC on. (ambient temperature only 10degC)

Fix was £1800 from the stealer. They had the part in stock and fixed within a day so must be expecting it. Hopefully it’s not contaminated the system but I believe I caught it early.

Last edited by Iain123; 12-12-2021 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0