Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
Random lines
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-26-2021, 11:46 AM   #23
R N M
Major
R N M's Avatar
2388
Rep
1,481
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
90% or more of the vehicles, so like all the normal people.
Really so you drive only 5-9mph over speed limit lol.
Try this on a major highway like LIE here in NY when its not bumper to bumper. Everyone is doing way over speed limit like 65-80mph at least in a 55mph zone. There are 4 lanes on each side, almost impossible to drive at only 55mph, hence why these speed limits are idiotic and strictly for revenue and not at all about safety.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 12:37 PM   #24
RM7
Colonel
RM7's Avatar
1808
Rep
2,611
Posts

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Really so you drive only 5-9mph over speed limit lol.
Try this on a major highway like LIE here in NY when its not bumper to bumper. Everyone is doing way over speed limit like 65-80mph at least in a 55mph zone. There are 4 lanes on each side, almost impossible to drive at only 55mph, hence why these speed limits are idiotic and strictly for revenue and not at all about safety.
Yeah, almost always someone is boasting this in one of these threads and every single time I go to said major city, it's never what they are claiming. It's like they have to come up with some kind of means to justify the speeds they are driving at. Every time it's the same damn thing, most of the people on the road are driving 5-10 above or less, not more.

And this is where these kinds of laws (speed cams, etc.) come from, they aren't trying to lessen the amount of crashes, they are trying to lessen the severity, the loss of life associated with severe impacts at high speed. The reason these places (major city highways) are being targeted is due to the amount of people this affects. Almost no one cares if you go speeding in Nevada on a desolate highway. Almost, there are always exceptions, but you are much less likely to kill or injure someone else.
__________________
Current: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2022 Kia Stinger. Former: BMW 428i Gran Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 01:14 PM   #25
freakystyly
Captain
879
Rep
850
Posts

Drives: F22 240i 6MT
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Every time it's the same damn thing, most of the people on the road are driving 5-10 above or less, not more.
In the left lane...

Different argument, but still contributes to people's general speeds.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 01:15 PM   #26
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
DenverSteve's Avatar
917
Rep
537
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Denver / L.A.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Who does 5-9 over on empty highway?! These laws are idiotic. Speed limits should vary based on traffic congestion and road conditions. Going 55mph in a modern car on open highway is the opposite of efficiency.
Actually my friend, that's exactly how traffic-engineers calculate speed limits. They take road conditions to include exits, entrances, curves, visibility, road surface, surrounding neighborhoods, congestion... and determine the average safe speed for the average conditions on that roadway. You, and I, may (read will) want to go faster but they don't just slap on numbers. As for congestion, unless you're out at 2am, it's always congested. Remember the "average" adage from many police officers - Nine you're fine, Ten you're mine. Obvious exceptions will be in heavy traffic, careless driving and, of course, inner-city or residential areas. However, all are free to buck the system and pay the fines and insurance increases. As for efficiency, put it in economy and accelerate/brake slowly and consistently........ and none of us want that.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 03:16 PM   #27
Alfisti
Colonel
3057
Rep
2,060
Posts

Drives: 2013 X3 (Totaled)
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

You guys wouldn't last 5 seconds in Australia, if the sign says 80 (55), you better well fucking be doing 80 or it's serious consequences.
Appreciate 1
Cos27065.50
      11-26-2021, 04:24 PM   #28
Onesie
Lieutenant Colonel
Onesie's Avatar
2847
Rep
1,859
Posts

Drives: _
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: he from the north he from the canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
You guys wouldn't last 5 seconds in Australia, if the sign says 80 (55), you better well fucking be doing 80 or it's serious consequences.
It's not by chance that we don't. Who would want to go there
__________________
LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 04:27 PM   #29
KiloCo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
186
Rep
294
Posts

Drives: Toyota/Corolla/ 22 G82 M4 Comp
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: San Diego CA.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Compared to the rest of the world…

1. We spend the most on police
2. We spend the most on homeland security
3. We spend the most on guns
4. We spend the most on the military

…isn't it to preserve our freedom?

FCX5, just my two cents. I don't think enough money is being spent on all four of your comments.
Appreciate 1
Onesie2847.00
      11-26-2021, 04:32 PM   #30
KiloCo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
186
Rep
294
Posts

Drives: Toyota/Corolla/ 22 G82 M4 Comp
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: San Diego CA.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
You guys wouldn't last 5 seconds in Australia, if the sign says 80 (55), you better well fucking be doing 80 or it's serious consequences.
Alfisti, Enforcement is done by the spirit of the law and not the letter of the Law in the USA.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 05:39 PM   #31
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
5.M0NSTER's Avatar
United_States
2875
Rep
1,740
Posts

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Back in Michigan, GO BLUE!

iTrader: (0)

I love stationary speed cameras. Why? Because I know where to find them.

I can speed just before and just past them. I find it a lot more convenient and hassle free to just get the ticket In The mail than to have to argue with a another cop on a power trip.

Now take the cost of this project, and subtract that many traffic enforcement people. Now we're talking!

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 11-26-2021 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 07:59 PM   #32
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
5.M0NSTER's Avatar
United_States
2875
Rep
1,740
Posts

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Back in Michigan, GO BLUE!

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Really so you drive only 5-9mph over speed limit lol.
Try this on a major highway like LIE here in NY when its not bumper to bumper. Everyone is doing way over speed limit like 65-80mph at least in a 55mph zone. There are 4 lanes on each side, almost impossible to drive at only 55mph, hence why these speed limits are idiotic and strictly for revenue and not at all about safety.
This. In Detroit there is a freeway called I696. Locals refer to it as our daily version fa NASCAR. 4 lanes wide, and on each other’s bumpers at over 90mph. Day in a life. Regulate this
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 01:08 PM   #33
R N M
Major
R N M's Avatar
2388
Rep
1,481
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Yeah, almost always someone is boasting this in one of these threads and every single time I go to said major city, it's never what they are claiming. It's like they have to come up with some kind of means to justify the speeds they are driving at. Every time it's the same damn thing, most of the people on the road are driving 5-10 above or less, not more.

And this is where these kinds of laws (speed cams, etc.) come from, they aren't trying to lessen the amount of crashes, they are trying to lessen the severity, the loss of life associated with severe impacts at high speed. The reason these places (major city highways) are being targeted is due to the amount of people this affects. Almost no one cares if you go speeding in Nevada on a desolate highway. Almost, there are always exceptions, but you are much less likely to kill or injure someone else.
Again its Revenue tool for certain towns and usually cities that target poor / middle class people that can’t defend themselves.

In NYC, there are speed cameras and speed traps everywhere. The judges rule ppl guilty almost 99% of the time unless you hire an attorney. This is not normal.

If you want greater safety, do Driver License recertification every 5yrs etc. Enforcement of 55mph speed limits that were instituted 50yrs ago is asinine for modern vehicles that have much more advanced capabilities in handling, braking etc.
Appreciate 1
Cos27065.50
      11-27-2021, 01:12 PM   #34
R N M
Major
R N M's Avatar
2388
Rep
1,481
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Actually my friend, that's exactly how traffic-engineers calculate speed limits. They take road conditions to include exits, entrances, curves, visibility, road surface, surrounding neighborhoods, congestion... and determine the average safe speed for the average conditions on that roadway. You, and I, may (read will) want to go faster but they don't just slap on numbers. As for congestion, unless you're out at 2am, it's always congested. Remember the "average" adage from many police officers - Nine you're fine, Ten you're mine. Obvious exceptions will be in heavy traffic, careless driving and, of course, inner-city or residential areas. However, all are free to buck the system and pay the fines and insurance increases. As for efficiency, put it in economy and accelerate/brake slowly and consistently........ and none of us want that.
Really well in NY the state speed limit is 55mph.

Engineers obviously weren’t asked for their input as average speed on LIE is about 70mph.

Here is an NY Times article from 1992 (30 years ago) mocking the 55mph speed limit on LIE lol
https://www.nytimes.com/1992/04/12/n...ehind-you.html
Appreciate 1
Cos27065.50
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST