BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

09-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #45
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Wow - I cannot believe I made that error and you are completely fair in calling me out on it.

I might not have explained myself very well in my original post, and I apologize for that. Irrespective of the NY law recently enacted, I was curious as to the poster's comment regarding the 'non-violent' qualifier. It is a pet-peeve of mine, as many people use it to justify a comment about incarceration rates or other grievances, when in reality we should all just be honest and say that this law allowed those convicted of very serious and frequently violent crimes (felonies) to vote.

Personally, with a few exceptions, I am not opposed to allowing convicted felons who have served out all of their time (including parole and/or probation terms) to have voting rights reinstated. I just took offence to the 'non-violent' qualifier.

Gotcha and agreed. I'm willing to bet that any state that has "non-violent felon" legislation has a slightly different set of what constitutes "non-violent" compared to any other state with similar laws. There is certainly no Federal standard that I'm aware of.

https://www.legalmatch.com/law-libra...-felonies.html

Some examples of non-violent felonies:

•Burglary
•Fraud
•Cyber crimes
•Arson
•Drug possession, distribution, and manufacturing
•Racketeering
•Bribery
•Using a cheating device while gambling
•Grand theft and embezzlement
•Criminal damage to property
•Driving under the influence
•Selling cheating devices for gambling
•Forgery and counterfeiting
•Using and manufacturing counterfeit gambling chips
•Escape from government confinement, such as escaping from prison or jail
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #46
PA135ii
seeking salvation
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post
1) "Throw" not through.
I'm with you, I hate bad English. I knew a guy that used the words "sweet" and "suite" interchangeably .. drove me nuts...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #47
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post

•Burglary
•Fraud
•Cyber crimes
•Arson
•Drug possession, distribution, and manufacturing
•Racketeering
•Bribery
•Using a cheating device while gambling
•Grand theft and embezzlement
•Criminal damage to property
•Driving under the influence
•Selling cheating devices for gambling
•Forgery and counterfeiting
•Using and manufacturing counterfeit gambling chips
•Escape from government confinement, such as escaping from prison or jail
Sounds like your typical guy's weekend in Vegas.
Appreciate 2
bbbbmw2387.00

09-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #48
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard5040 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I think bbbbmw was referring to those who have NOT served their sentences and are still incarcerated.

I'd be very surprised if in America you lost your right to vote forever even after you served your time. I mean, it is sort of contradictory to the whole rationale that your rights are restored upon serving your time right? So sounds like a pretty wacky idea that they have lost their rights forever.

Do you know that they lose their right to vote even after serving time, or are you just making this up to be inflammatory?
Check out Florida. After serving your sentence you go before the governor and two other board members and apply for the right to vote again. There are no standards, no rules. It's, as governor Rick Scott has said on numerous occasions, "our gut feeling whether you deserve to vote". Check out the voting rights laws for convicted felons who have completed thier sentences in other "red" states. NY recently changed its law to allow people convicted of nonviolent crimes who had served thier time to vote and state republicans shit thier pants. I believe that's what bbbb was implying, all felons vote Democrat.
That's not what I was implying (although it would seem reasonable); instead I was noting specific examples of Democrat governors (VA and NY) acting like kings and "granting" felons the right to vote, despite the existing laws.
      09-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #49
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
{Removed by moderator}
Why, thank you!

Should convicted felons not have to pay taxes?

I don't see a pattern in those states whatsoever; they are a mix of southern, northern, western, Democrat, Republican, etc. - what pattern do you see? That they aren't New York or California?

Maine and Vermont don't ever take away a felon's voting right - I definitely see a pattern there; two extremely liberal, backward, agricultural states, continually exploited by their politicians.

Sorry you feel this forum is for the sensitive macho right - it's great to have you female felons!

09-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #50
are0lies
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
{Removed by moderator}
I think it is unfortunate to not let these guys vote, unless the clause is for a parolee, who in essence is still doing time, just not in jail. But the people that complete their time, by what you're saying, never "pay back" the state.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 04:01 PM   #51
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by are0lies View Post
Quote:
{Removed by moderator}
I think it is unfortunate to not let these guys vote, unless the clause is for a parolee, who in essence is still doing time, just not in jail. But the people that complete their time, by what you're saying, never "pay back" the state.
Much less make restitution to their victims.
      09-18-2018, 04:20 PM   #52
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 si Coupe, '08 R6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by are0lies View Post
I think it is a good thing. We are saying there are consequences for your actions, and some of them last forever. You do something bad enough to become a felon, we don't trust your judgement enough to vote or own firearms.
Appreciate 5
      03-27-2020, 03:24 PM   #53
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

"reformed"

https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...as/5085237002/
Appreciate 0