BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

03-25-2020, 01:34 PM   #67
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

Ok apparently the massive unemployment checks were a “drafting error”. Still waiting to hear the error about giving trillions to billionaires. I’m sure I’ll be waiting a long time for that one.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/...ssive-drafting
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2020, 05:47 PM   #68
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

I'll say it again. Self inflicted death punch.

Who agrees?
Obama, Biden veterans slam Pelosi's coronavirus bill: 'Have we learned nothing?'
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/oba...earned-nothing
      03-27-2020, 05:14 PM   #69
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
https://apnews.com/e325d26c4a30abd549109a72ce44d964

CLAIM: Nancy Pelosi snuck $25 million worth of pay raises for Congress into the federal relief bill intended to help Americans amid the coronavirus pandemic.

THE FACTS: A proposal in the economic rescue package sets aside $25 million for the House of Representatives but "none of those funds will go to member salaries," Evan Hollander, the communications director for the House Appropriations Committee, told The Associated Press. After the U.S. Senate unanimously passed a $2.2 trillion economic rescue package late Wednesday night (it was signed into law Friday), social media users began inaccurately claiming that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi had secretly stuck in $25 million worth of congressional pay raises. That was not the case. The $25 million appropriation for "salary and expenses" in the House of Representatives was proposed in both versions of the relief package — a GOP-backed proposal earlier in the week and the plan passed by the U.S. Senate Wednesday. The money will be used to buy new equipment and make upgrades to the network so members and their staff can work remotely, Hollander said. It will also be spent on reimbursing costs of the child care center and food service contracts for the House, as well as paying for the House Sergeant-at-Arms, he added. Congressional pay can be raised annually based on a federal cost-of-living formula. However, Congress has voted to reject those increases since 2009, keeping their salaries frozen at $174,000 for a decade.
      03-27-2020, 07:43 PM   #70
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

I am not the most intelligent but $2T stimulus for $300b in checks to "citizens"? Sounds like the Butcher was putting his thumb on the scale again.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2020, 09:00 PM   #71
turboawd
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I am not the most intelligent but $2T stimulus for $300b in checks to "citizens"? Sounds like the Butcher was putting his thumb on the scale again.
Does it surprise you though? Best time to add pork is in these big bills.
Appreciate 2
      03-27-2020, 09:11 PM   #72
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

you're right... it's the child's way of getting things... when parents are shopping throw things in the cart right before checkout hoping they don't see it or if they do it is too late to say no.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2020, 10:24 PM   #73
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

I actually disagree with the museum thing. I think itís important we keep them afloat. If they have mummies in there, we could use the wrappings when we run out of toilet paper.
Appreciate 5
      03-28-2020, 05:52 PM   #74
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post

CLAIM: Nancy Pelosi snuck $25 million worth of pay raises for Congress into the federal relief bill intended to help Americans amid the coronavirus pandemic.

THE FACTS: A proposal in the economic rescue package sets aside $25 million for the House of Representatives but "none of those funds will go to member salaries," Evan Hollander, the communications director for the House Appropriations Committee, told The Associated Press. After the U.S. Senate unanimously passed a $2.2 trillion economic rescue package late Wednesday night (it was signed into law Friday), social media users began inaccurately claiming that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi had secretly stuck in $25 million worth of congressional pay raises. That was not the case. The $25 million appropriation for "salary and expenses" in the House of Representatives was proposed in both versions of the relief package — a GOP-backed proposal earlier in the week and the plan passed by the U.S. Senate Wednesday. The money will be used to buy new equipment and make upgrades to the network so members and their staff can work remotely, Hollander said. It will also be spent on reimbursing costs of the child care center and food service contracts for the House, as well as paying for the House Sergeant-at-Arms, he added. Congressional pay can be raised annually based on a federal cost-of-living formula. However, Congress has voted to reject those increases since 2009, keeping their salaries frozen at $174,000 for a decade.
Great. But could you please go over how that helps the out of work bartender again?

Thanks.
Someone in the Bimmerpost forums said Pelosi was raising congressional pay.

Apparently not true.
      03-28-2020, 10:06 PM   #75
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Great. But could you please go over how that helps the out of work bartender again?

Thanks.

Apparently not true.
Then write it in English: $xxx for TECHNOLOGY in the House. Why is the word Salary in the description ???
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2020, 11:34 PM   #76
Nuckle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.

Apparently not true.
Then write it in English: $xxx for TECHNOLOGY in the House. Why is the word Salary in the description ???
I am so glad I ignored his goofy ass permanently but do chuckle at times when I see his posts quoted and think back to when he claimed to be a Republican.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2020, 08:55 AM   #77
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckle View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.

Apparently not true.
I am so glad I ignored his goofy ass permanently but do chuckle at times when I see his posts quoted and think back to when he claimed to be a Republican.
I'm goofy? You got mad because I said the confederacy sucked.

Ignore = I can't argue with him because I'm too much of a redneck idiot
      03-29-2020, 08:57 AM   #78
zx10guy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Just how antiquated is the House's network? LOL.

An out of work bartender doesn't need an upgraded House of Reps computer network so some M-F'er Capitol Hill flunky can work from home on more legislation to line the pockets of Democrat donors, lobbyists, and bail out Wall Street once again. He/she needs money to feed the kids and keep a roof over his/herself.
You'd be surprised about the state of the House of Rep's network. I just started engaging the HOR and am learning how things are set up. So far, there are a ton of silo'd environments each with their own plans/governess. Contrast that to the Senate where they're more centralized. And HOR and Senate do not share IT infrastructures.
Appreciate 2
      03-29-2020, 11:08 AM   #79
zx10guy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Not surprising, yet why bring this requirement into a funding bill to help the forced-out-of-work US citizen in the time of a pandemic health crisis? The House could upgrade its network to modern standards at least via a GSA-schedule contract from any of the hundreds of SBA network suppliers available in the DC area. Or, any of the major defense contractors could build an extremely robust network for the House in a matter of months; I know my company could. The House could have done this at any time in the past 15 years under a performance-based IT services contract that would keep the network current and secure. Even worse, under the Obama administration the Government has required all critical infrastructure meet NIST security requirements, so why was the House network not refurbished to meet NIST SP 800-53, which came out some 7 years ago?

The COVID-19 Rescue bill should rescue the out-of-work American citizen, not Nancy's branch of Congress.
Not arguing you on this where this line item shouldn't have been put into this spending package. Just answering your question about the state of HOR's network.

And having done IT work for the Feds in a bunch of different agencies, I've learned that it's not the ability to get proper equipment or the ability to implement said equipment. It's always about politics and "culture". I attempted to call out issues with one important system which had a large vulnerability I found. Instead of everyone focusing on fixing this problem, a particular individual had a political agenda against me, felt I was a threat, and forced me out of the program with fake accusations.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 01:44 PM   #80
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
I assumed it was a reference to the salaries of the staff related to the technology and other changes - i.e. not just one-time hardware/infrastructure related expenses. I could be wrong, though.
Appreciate 1