BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

03-09-2020, 12:51 PM   #1
19x
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

I won't buy a vehicle assembled in Mexico, including the next M2

Can't get over MADE IN MEXICO. The price better reflect that!

I know, I know, blah blah blah... save me the speech on how things made in Mexico could be as good as those made in Germany or elsewhere.

If history is anything to go by, that is simply not true. Look at what happened to VW (Jetta, etc.) when they started building it in Mexico decades ago. It was never the same car.
Appreciate 7
      03-09-2020, 12:55 PM   #2
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Mexico🤣
Appreciate 7
19x301.00
HODLM294.00
ried619.00

03-09-2020, 01:03 PM   #3
bimmer4life24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mac View Post

I know, I know, blah blah blah... save me the speech on how things made in Mexico could be as good as those made in Germany or elsewhere.

If history is anything to go by, that is simply not true. Look at what happened to VW (Jetta, etc.) when they started building it in Mexico decades ago. It was never the same car.
This exactly.

Definitely will not be upgrading to next gen m2. M2c appears to be something worth holding on to.
Appreciate 4
19x301.00
jstein553652.50

03-09-2020, 01:08 PM   #4
SleepingBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

>M2
>Production in Mexico

Oh I am laughing.
I hope you guys don't seriously buy this.
Appreciate 1
ried619.00

03-09-2020, 01:09 PM   #5
SleepingBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Lmao, I agree. You know it's a get rich quick scheme. I promise the dumb zoomers and Asians and Saudi's leasing these things on the coasts won't notice anything but the badge.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 01:16 PM   #6
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

They got more reliable? The Jetta turned into a different car because VW purposely made it for the American market. The country of assembly has nothing to do with design decisions. The GTI is also made in Mexico and it's more reliable and has better build quality than it ever has.

Last edited by upsidedownfunnel; 03-09-2020 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 4
BS_CS289.00
F32Fleet1939.50

03-09-2020, 01:48 PM   #7
mbanck
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Skoda Karoq

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
>M2
>Production in Mexico

Oh I am laughing.
People are buying X3Ms and other M SAVs built just across the border, what's the difference?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 01:59 PM   #8
clutchdj
Major
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Well I’ve had a lot of VWs. The ones built in Mexico always seemed to use lesser quality plastics in the interior. Both Germans and Mex had mechanical issues however VW products have evolved into much better packages as a whole within the last 4 years. I would prefer an M2 built in SC at least but whatever. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 02:21 PM   #9
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:

It's going to be assembled in Mexico, the core parts itself will still be designed and engineered in Germany or whoever BMW subcontract their parts construction to..

Honestly, I got over the whole 'Made-In-Mexico' quality worries, as a company of this magnitude have logistics down to a science.. They have to remain competitive.

Assembling in Mexico to sell to the US market is smart, since it cuts down on labor and delivery cost.

No, I'm not drinking the corporate Koolaid, I'm just thinking of this from a logical standpoint and it all comes down to management and quality assurance, as it's just a machine.

They had me at S58, I'm getting me one!

I can't wait to be able to "Allahu Akbar" down a school zone, like that guy in the viral X3M video..
Appreciate 2
EXE46471.50
KRS_SN618.50

03-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #10
mbanck
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Skoda Karoq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
It's going to be assembled in Mexico, the core parts itself will still be designed and engineered in Germany or wherever BMW subcontract their parts construction to..

Honestly, I got over the whole 'Made-In-Mexico' quality worries, as a company of this magnitude have logistics down to a science.. They have to remain competitive.

Assembling in Mexico to sell to the US market is smart, since it cuts down on labor and delivery cost.

No, I'm not drinking the corporate Koolaid, I'm just thinking of this from a logical standpoint and it all comes down to management and quality assurance, as it's just a machine.

They had me at S58, I'm getting me one!

I can't wait to be able to "Allahu Akbar" down a school zone, like that guy in the viral X3M video..
As a matter of fact, watch a few of the savagegeese videos on BMW SAVs out of Spartenburg - they have a lot of "Made in Mexico" stamped into their parts.
Appreciate 1
Poochie4609.50

03-09-2020, 03:12 PM   #11
19x
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
They got more reliable? The Jetta turned into a different car because VW purposely made it for the American market. The country of assembly has nothing to do with design decisions. The GTI is also made in Mexico and it's more reliable and has better build quality than it ever has.
lol

No, the Jetta did not become more reliable after production moved to Mexico. It became a total shitbox overnight. Quite literally one of the least reliable cars the world has ever seen. Check your facts.

And if you're implying that craftsmanship and quality of materials suffers as a result of the demographic it is aimed at (and not the move or worker skill), then that's equally as bad, if not worse. If BMW follows in VW's footsteps and purposely makes the new M2 inferior (in some ways) for the American market, then how does that translate to the consumer being better off?

The scary part is that, historically, cars made specifically for the American market were typically compromised and worse than their counterparts. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe they assume that most Americans will buy anything. Europeans, in general, have a higher standard and definition of "quality".

Last edited by 19x; 03-09-2020 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2020, 03:46 PM   #12
RyanBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i, 2011 F10 550i,

Funny people are bad mouthing about "Made in Mexico"!! Let me educate those!!

1) Mexicans are one of the hardest workers on earth, with attention to details.

2) BMW plants are all automated, with high in quality control, therefore, everything will be built by specs, it's not like an employee can change anything on a car without going unnoticed.

So please, don't be so narrow minded and stereotype.

I'll take a G87 M2 from Mexico please!! Can't wait!

P.s. I am Asian BTW
Appreciate 14
MarkDemma376.00
EXE46471.50
WolfGTI239.00
JustChris10359.50
M3GymNut684.00
seis-speed1314.00
BS_CS289.00
Clark_Kent1212.50
rohitsja222.50

03-09-2020, 03:48 PM   #13
Jason60051
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP Acura MDX

I wouldn't purchase a German vehicle built in Mexico. The same reason I didn't buy an Audi Q7 that was built in (Bratislava) Slovakia. I've been to the Audi facility in Ingolstadt and it's amazing...the facility in Slovakia isn't quite on the same level. It doesn't make me racist. I want a german vehicle that is built in Germany. Buying a Lexus I wanted a Japanese vehicle built in japan.

There are some exceptions to the rule...some of the US facilities are state of the art. Honda/Acura in Ohio, BMW in Spartanburg.

Go drive a vw golf built in Mexico and then go drive a vw golf that's built in Germany...trust me you will notice a difference.
HasteN54314.50

03-09-2020, 04:00 PM   #14
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason60051 View Post
I wouldn't purchase a German vehicle built in Mexico. The same reason I didn't buy an Audi Q7 that was built in (Bratislava) Slovakia. I've been to the Audi facility in Ingolstadt and it's amazing...the facility in Slovakia isn't quite on the same level. It doesn't make me racist. I want a german vehicle that is built in Germany. Buying a Lexus I wanted a Japanese vehicle built in japan.

There are some exceptions to the rule...some of the US facilities are state of the art. Honda/Acura in Ohio, BMW in Spartanburg.

Go drive a vw golf built in Mexico and then go drive a vw golf that's built in Germany...trust me you will notice a difference.
Looks like you own a Japanese car made in America though. Explain please?

It's interesting you feel there is a difference when professional reviewers don't. What is the difference? I don't trust random people on the internet.

EDIT: Maybe the Mexican welding robots are lazier than the German welding robots? Or maybe shipping the engine from Eastern Europe to Mexico instead of Wolfsburg somehow robs power from it?

Last edited by upsidedownfunnel; 03-09-2020 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 04:07 PM   #15
SteveinArizona
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:

You have done so? A blind test? I don't think so. All other things being equal, I would be perfectly happy with a BMW built in Mexico. There are world cup events in both countries to distract workers.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 04:09 PM   #16
RyanBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i, 2011 F10 550i,

Quote:

BMWs that are/were made in Germany still have major oil leaks issues, drivetrain malfunction, sensors going out left and right, so what's your point? And don't tell me you have never had any of those issues above with your BMW that was "Made in Germany"!! Bias much?
Appreciate 2
EXE46471.50

03-09-2020, 04:12 PM   #17
Jason60051
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP Acura MDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBMW View Post
Quote:

BMWs that are/were made in Germany still have major oil leaks issues, drivetrain malfunction, sensors going out left and right, so what's your point? And don't tell me you have never had any of those issues above with your BMW that was "Made in Germany"!! Bias much?
I'm very bias...and I am allowed to be with my money. This is all subjective matter. Much the same if I were to purchase an Italian exotic I would want it built in Italy. Regardless if the vehicle still exhibits issues...oil leaks etc. That's part of owning a vehicle regardless of where it's built.
HasteN54314.50

03-09-2020, 04:15 PM   #18
SleepingBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Funny people are bad mouthing about "Made in Mexico"!! Let me educate those!!

1) Mexicans are one of the hardest workers on earth, with attention to details.

2) BMW plants are all automated, with high in quality control, therefore, everything will be built by specs, it's not like an employee can change anything on a car without going unnoticed.

So please, don't be so narrow minded and stereotype.

I'll take a G87 M2 from Mexico please!! Can't wait!

P.s. I am Asian BTW
WHEN MEXICO SENDS THEIR PEOPLE THEYRE NOT SENDING THEIR BEST

THEYRE BRINGING DRUGS
THEYRE BRINGING CRIME
THEYRE RAPISTS
SOME OF THEM ARE GOOD PEOPLE, I ASSUME

We can only infer the good ones are just good boys working on BMWs that Mexico opted to keep.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 04:15 PM   #19
newcar55
Private
Rep
Drives: Toyota

Quote:
Quote:

There is absolutely a bias, but if you point it out to the people complaining here they'll claim they're being "objective about quality". It's just a dog whistle.

Haven't see anyone discussing price. I think BMW priced the F87 a little low and they're going to try to makeup for lost profits
Appreciate 2
EXE46471.50
JTO242537.50

03-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #20
SleepingBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
Quote:
>M2
>Production in Mexico

Oh I am laughing.
People are buying X3Ms and other M SAVs built just across the border, what's the difference?
If you have to ask quite frankly you'll never understand.

I do have to shake my head at your mentality though. Politely of course.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 04:23 PM   #21
19x
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you implying that it's not ok to be biased or that it's not okay to prefer your car to be made somewhere when you're paying tens of thousands for it?

It's his money. There is nothing wrong with preferring a product be built in a specific region or country. Or by a specific group of people. That doesn't make one racist or xenophobic. The belief that, on average, a Mexican worker in an automobile factory doesn't quite possess the same level of dedication or attention to detail as a German worker - is not far-fetched. Just as it's not wrong to believe that, on average, Mexico produces more world-class boxers than most other countries. It is what it is.

There are many people in this thread who couldn't tell the difference between Chinese-made and Italian-made shoes. And there are those who can.

If history and experience is anything to go by, then yes, it does matter where things are made (even if they are only partially made or assembled there). Always has. And probably always will.

Last edited by 19x; 03-09-2020 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2020, 04:23 PM   #22
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
If you have to ask quite frankly you'll never understand.

I do have to shake my head at your mentality though. Politely of course.
That sounds like it's code for something my uncle would say after having a few tall boys at Thanksgiving dinner.
Appreciate 3
Poochie4609.50
JTO242537.50