BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

03-29-2020, 09:43 AM   #89
ASAP
Stargazing
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Comp HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I don't think its about China but more about the world...

Everyone needs to be straightforward about things like this happening including the US. If it gets found out that you supressed information about a potential virus, you get massive eceonomic sanctions... as far as unsanitary food conditions, there needs to be a WHO taskforce that travels to random locations and reports anything that's seen as odd. That information the gets reported to the local government and you are forced to do something about it or again... economic sanctions... (this needs to be an agreement amongst G7 nations etc) albeit someone will play the political game with this one heavy.

Outside of that we need to have a Pandemic response team ready to go and manufacturing of our own PPE ready to go at moments notice.
Great another corrupt organization to bribe.
thats an example... it can be any created organization... unless of course someone has better ideas?
Appreciate 1
minn196905.50

03-29-2020, 09:52 AM   #90
zx10guy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I've stated way back in this thread that there needs to be a treaty/agreement among nations (most probably done outside of the UN) where requirements for transparency with reporting on severe illnesses are spelled out along with stiff penalties.

As to this piling on about a culture's eating habits, many are bordering along the lines of racist comments. I don't throw out this statement often and don't remember the last time I've done it. I don't agree or find any of the eating habits of native Chinese appealing. This is coming from me being Chinese in cultural background but being born in the US. One culture's eating habits is another's disgust.

I just watched an interview with Senator Tom Cotton where he stated the origins of the Wuhan Flu are still unknown. He said of the initial cases reported, 14 were outside of the supposed food market that is being pointed to as the origin. This also puts into question whether the bio lab nearby the food market was involved in all of this. No one knows at the moment of where the actual origin was. And we all know anything the Chinese government says can't be trusted. But what is not argued is the virus did originate in Wuhan.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer22691.50
minn196905.50

03-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #91
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
thats an example... it can be any created organization... unless of course someone has better ideas?
Try to localize as much of your industry and production as possible and then you don't have to worry about other nations shit practices
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 10:10 AM   #92
anglo
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I've stated way back in this thread that there needs to be a treaty/agreement among nations (most probably done outside of the UN) where requirements for transparency with reporting on severe illnesses are spelled out along with stiff penalties.

As to this piling on about a culture's eating habits, many are bordering along the lines of racist comments. I don't throw out this statement often and don't remember the last time I've done it. I don't agree or find any of the eating habits of native Chinese appealing. This is coming from me being Chinese in cultural background but being born in the US. One culture's eating habits is another's disgust.

I just watched an interview with Senator Tom Cotton where he stated the origins of the Wuhan Flu are still unknown. He said of the initial cases reported, 14 were outside of the supposed food market that is being pointed to as the origin. This also puts into question whether the bio lab nearby the food market was involved in all of this. No one knows at the moment of where the actual origin was. And we all know anything the Chinese government says can't be trusted. But what is not argued is the virus did originate in Wuhan.
Ebola , like SARS, Covid 19 all had to do with cultures' eating habits!

It's science, not racism....

From Wikipedia

"Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) is a viral respiratory disease of zoonotic origin that surfaced in the early 2000s caused by the first-identified strain of the SARS coronavirus (SARS-CoV or SARS-CoV-1). In late 2017,
Chinese scientists traced the virus through the intermediary of civets to cave-dwelling horseshoe bats in Yunnan province. No cases of the first SARS-CoV have been reported worldwide since 2004."

I really hope the liberal media and The communist party would ask people to follow some guidelines when they handle wild animals like Pangolins!
Appreciate 1
Sassicaia3436.50

03-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #93
zx10guy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
Ebola , like SARS, Covid 19 all had to do with cultures' eating habits!

It's science, not racism....

From Wikipedia

"Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) is a viral respiratory disease of zoonotic origin that surfaced in the early 2000s caused by the first-identified strain of the SARS coronavirus (SARS-CoV or SARS-CoV-1). In late 2017,
Chinese scientists traced the virus through the intermediary of civets to cave-dwelling horseshoe bats in Yunnan province. No cases of the first SARS-CoV have been reported worldwide since 2004."

I really hope the liberal media and The communist party would ask people to follow some guidelines when they handle wild animals like Pangolins!
I haven't followed that closely any of the other outbreaks so I cannot challenge or agree with your statements as to the origins of those outbreaks.

What's clear about this situation and the feel I have which is much different than during SARS is the extreme lack of transparency and cooperation from the Chinese government. So anything they've said so far cannot be trusted.

As to your statement about the liberal media trying to white wash this with their own narrative, the interview I saw with Senator Tom Cotton who is a Republican was on Fox News stating no one knows whether the virus did in fact originate from that food market.

It's easy to scapegoat and pin problems on easy targets. Isn't this how racists ideology continue to perpetuate? All I'm suggesting is for people to back it down before they start crossing that line.
Appreciate 1
minn196905.50

03-29-2020, 10:22 AM   #94
anglo
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

It's not racism, it's science!

By Chinese Scientists

Quote:
After a detective hunt across China, researchers chasing the origin of the deadly SARS virus have finally found their smoking gun. In a remote cave in Yunnan province, virologists have identified a single population of horseshoe bats that harbours virus strains with all the genetic building blocks of the one that jumped to humans in 2002, killing almost 800 people around the world.
How many more outbreaks before people change their eating habits?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-017-07766-9
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 10:23 AM   #95
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Quote:

No offence but you are conveniently leaving out the science behind zoonotics.

This virus was caused by people's close interaction with exotic animals which in this case was a direct result of the wet market and eating habits.

You can cal it racist but you'll be arguing against science at the same time.

Point in fact the reason why the Chinese eat this way is because of communism and being starved to death. Communication is the ultimate cancer and cause. If people were starving they wouldn't find a way to eat anything that moves.

Can you point to a scientific study that suspects this virus was not caused by zoonotics?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 10:33 AM   #96
zx10guy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post

This virus was caused by people's close interaction with exotic animals which in this case was a direct result of the wet market and eating habits.

Point in fact the reason why the Chinese eat this way is because of communism and being starved to death. Communication is the ultimate cancer and cause. If people were starving they wouldn't find a way to eat anything that moves.

Can you point to a scientific study that suspects this virus was not caused by zoonotics?
And none of the scientific methods have been applied in this situation by trusted independent sources. Believe me, I'm all for finding the origins. But when a government official who is not part of the liberal machines comes out and says there is no trusted information about whether the origin of this virus did in fact come from the consumption of bats, we all need to back this down until an actual trusted scientific determination is done.

All this conjecture is feeding into hysteria that beyond the panic buying is affecting Chinese people here in the States which had nothing to do with this. Everyone talks about making sure the local restaurants are propped up during this economic crisis. Yet no one talks about how this knee jerk reaction is affecting Chinese restaurants in the US.

It's not just the native Chinese that have what we in the western world call weird eating habits. Anthony Bourdain made an entire TV show/series traveling the world show casing other culture's "weird" cuisines. Should we now go policing every culture/country in the world telling people what they should or should not eat based on our Western standards?
Appreciate 1
minn196905.50

03-29-2020, 10:44 AM   #97
ASAP
Stargazing
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
Quote:
Try to localize as much of your industry and production as possible and then you don't have to worry about other nations shit practices
lol that definitely doesnt resolve the local sanitary conditions that create these viruses
Appreciate 1
minn196905.50

03-29-2020, 10:47 AM   #98
anglo
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And none of the scientific methods have been applied in this situation by trusted independent sources. Believe me, I'm all for finding the origins. But when a government official who is not part of the liberal machines comes out and says there is no trusted information about whether the origin of this virus did in fact come from the consumption of bats, we all need to back this down until an actual trusted scientific determination is done.

All this conjecture is feeding into hysteria that beyond the panic buying is affecting Chinese people here in the States which had nothing to do with this. Everyone talks about making sure the local restaurants are propped up during this economic crisis. Yet no one talks about how this knee jerk reaction is affecting Chinese restaurants in the US.

It's not just the native Chinese that have what we in the western world call weird eating habits. Anthony Bourdain made an entire TV show/series traveling the world show casing other culture's "weird" cuisines. Should we now go policing every culture/country in the world telling people what they should or should not eat based on our Western standards?
Yes, look at all lives lost and chaos in Italy, Spain, Iran, the US...not worth it, man!
We changed the way we fly when we lost 3,000 Americans on 9/11
This this worse than terrorism!
Appreciate 1
Sassicaia3436.50

03-29-2020, 10:47 AM   #99
zx10guy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
lol that definitely doesnt resolve the local sanitary conditions that create these viruses
And if that's the focus then so be it. Enforcing sanitation requirements is different than policing one's eating preferences.

And before people start casting stones. Remember the E Coli outbreaks here in this country which supposedly has the "gold" standard in food practices? Remember the number of people that got sick and died?
Appreciate 2
ASAP3013.50
minn196905.50

03-29-2020, 10:48 AM   #100
Eriphill
Major
Rep

Taiwan did well because they know better than to trust the Chinese Communist Party who have corrupted international organizations like the WHO and acted earlier than anyone else. This timeline is a good refresher of everything that went on in January.

- Dec. 30, 2019: Doctor Li Wenliang sent a message to a group of fellow doctors warning them about a possible outbreak of an illness that resembled severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in Wuhan, Hubei province, China, where he worked, he encouraged them to protect themselves from infection.
- Dec. 31, 2019: Taiwanese officials, on guard against an outbreak of strange pneumonia cases in China, board and inspect passengers coming into Taiwan, looking for fever or pneumonia symptoms on direct flights from Wuhan.
- Jan 5: The Taiwan Centre for Disease Control is now notified if passengers from Wuhan have fever or other symptoms.
- Jan. 21: In Taiwan, Wuhan is given a Level 3 travel alert designation, changing border procedures from Taiwan, Wang reports, which changed customs procedures at Taiwanese airports.
- Jan. 22: In Taiwan, entry permits are canceled for 459 tourists from Wuhan set to arrive later in January. One day later, Wuhan residents are banned from Taiwan.
- Jan. 24: The World Health Organization again advises against travel bans: “WHO advises against the application of any restrictions of international traffic based on the information currently available on this event.
- Jan 25: In Taiwan, tours to China are suspended. Hubei Province is given Level 3 travel alert status, with the rest of China a Level 2 travel alert.
- Jan. 27: In Taiwan, the National Health Insurance Administration (NHIA) and the National Immigration Agency integrate patients’ past 14-day travel history with their NHI identification card data from the NHIA. Those identified as high risk (under home quarantine) are monitored electronically through their mobile phones.
- Jan. 28: In Taiwan, all of China (except Hong Kong and Macau) is given Level 3 travel alert status, meaning all incoming travellers go into mandatory quarantine.
- Jan. 30: The WHO’s Director-General tweets in support of the WHO’s open borders policy: “This is the time for facts, not fear. This is the time for science, not rumours. This is the time for solidarity, not stigma.”
Appreciate 4
MKSixer22691.50
anglo55452.00

03-29-2020, 10:57 AM   #101
zx10guy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Okay, but did E Coli shut down the world economy? Not arguing, just making a point.
That's a side bar conversation that's more relevant to systems and plans put in place to deal with such things. My talking point about dictating what one culture should eat is downright arrogant and elitist.

No one would argue about sanitation requirements and I would say focusing on this would shake out issues with what we're debating.
Appreciate 1
minn196905.50

03-29-2020, 10:57 AM   #102
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:

Quote:

I think it's a combination of both of these views. The best thing to do is learn from this and address any concerns coming from this or we're doomed to repeat them.

We have uncovered severe problems with being dependent on the ChiComs as Mr. Trump said in his campaign in 2016.
We have uncovered that we have woefully managed our hospital infrastructure in the last 15 years to the point that we are completely at the mercy of having 150,000 patients dropped into the system across 20 or so states.
We have uncovered that the Major Cities in this country need to stop pandering to political goals and focus on taking care of their citizens.
We have uncovered that the Governors and Mayors of certain states and cities, respectively, can't find their asses with both hands, a map, GPS and a tour guide.
We have confirmed that Mr. Trump needs to be more circumspect with his Tweets.
We have confirmed that the Prevalent Media needs to stop being rumormongers and completely END all Opinion Reporting during any and all crisis situations. I know we have freedom of the press but just like freedom of speech demands responsibility, so does freedom of the press. They are irresponsible and any reasonable person can see this, all politics aside.
We have confirmed that the WHO is a good organization, in theory, but needs to be revamped and the truth be told about what happened in this case and not some politically and financially motivated Pipe Dream.
We have confirmed that our bureaucracies need to be further streamlined in order to release the power of the supply chain in our country. It's ridiculous that it takes days to reach someone with decision making capabilities to direct materiel to the targeted locations.
We have confirmed that the ChiComs are untrustworthy, selfish, and pathological in their behavior and we need to be rid of our dependance on them.
We have confirmed that serious sanctions must be placed against China for causing this calamity.
We have confirmed that the spirits of the American People and the Peoples of the world are strong and absent ridiculous regulations and stupid constraints (communism), we can muster ourselves and overcome any challenge.

Rant over.

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 6
zx10guy2584.00
ASAP3013.50
Rmtt6984.00
minn196905.50
rebekahb415.00

03-29-2020, 11:10 AM   #103
Eriphill
Major
Rep

Oh and never forget...
Appreciate 3
MKSixer22691.50
zx10guy2584.00

03-29-2020, 11:55 AM   #104
ASAP
Stargazing
No_Country
Rep

i would just ask that anyone who enjoys consuming bats cooks them to an internal temperature of at least 140C
Appreciate 4
MKSixer22691.50
minn196905.50
anglo55452.00
rebekahb415.00

03-29-2020, 11:58 AM   #105
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Quote:
Yes, look at all lives lost and chaos in Italy, Spain, Iran, the US...not worth it, man!
You think we should go around policing other countries and dictate what they should and shouldnít eat based on our western standards. You also seem to think itís a good idea that the govít force private entities to produce in America given the circumstances.

You used to be a liberal, and now youíre a hardcore libertarian. Ok.......
Appreciate 2
zx10guy2584.00
minn196905.50

03-29-2020, 11:59 AM   #106
Mingwan
Major
Rep

Quote:
i would just ask that anyone who enjoys consuming bats cooks them to an internal temperature of at least 140C
Sorry, I like mine mid-rare. Deal with it.
Appreciate 1
minn196905.50

03-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #107
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Cant taste good
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #108
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Quote:
You think we should go around policing other countries and dictate what they should and shouldn't eat based on our western standards. You also seem to think it's a good idea that the gov't force private entities to produce in America given the circumstances.

You used to be a liberal, and now you're a hardcore libertarian. Ok.......
We already collective police each other. Building nuclear weapons for instance. Why is this different? Virus hasn't caused enough destruction for you yet? What if the next one is Ebola with COVIDs transmission rate?

Don't say it couldn't happen. People already didn't predict today's.

This ain't about race. This is about best practices for all regardless of race. If just one race eats animals that have a high likelihood of spreading viruses then there is one race that needs to stop. If it's 3 then three needs to stop. Don't care if anyone gets offended - peoples lives are at risk.

I'm not suggestion we carpet bomb China but I do think sanctions need to be in place of habits don't change. We need to stop relying on China. Part of that is our fault for wanting so much material stuff at the cheapest possible price
Appreciate 2
MKSixer22691.50

03-29-2020, 12:32 PM   #109
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Wrong. The consensus today is this came from zoonotics. It's not like this virus had the same chance starting in Switzerland as it did a Chinese wet market. Your head is in the sand
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 12:40 PM   #110
Mingwan
Major
Rep

Quote:
We already collective police each other. Building nuclear weapons for instance. Why is this different? Virus hasn't caused enough destruction for you yet? What if the next one is Ebola with COVIDs transmission rate?

Don't say it couldn't happen. People already didn't predict today's.

This ain't about race. This is about best practices for all regardless of race. If just one race eats animals that have a high likelihood of spreading viruses then there is one race that needs to stop. If it's 3 then three needs to stop. Don't care if anyone gets offended - peoples lives are at risk.

I'm not suggestion we carpet bomb China but I do think sanctions need to be in place of habits don't change. We need to stop relying on China. Part of that is our fault for wanting so much material stuff at the cheapest possible price
Restrictions on armament is a little different than telling another culture what they can and can’t eat. Even if proven morally unacceptable, good luck enforcing that.

I personally don’t care if they’re eating anything from iguana lips to giraffe neck so long as they’re practicing proper processing and sanitation procedures that limit spread of disease. Barring endangered and keystone species of course.

And numerous people already saw this coming. People just don’t want to listen because we like doing shit last minute.
Appreciate 2
zx10guy2584.00
minn196905.50