BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

03-24-2020, 05:55 AM   #23
floridaorange
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Well it's Sunday, which means my family usually goes to church. I know nowadays "church" isn't en vogue, but we have a really great church family here and feel quite fortunate to have them in our lives. Anyway, our church went live via youtube today and although it wasn't ideal, during these times where we have to stay apart, I must say it was fantastic to have as a resource right now more than ever.

Anyone else get to do the same?
Amen! I'm glad you created this thread, interesting to see some other Christians pop into this thread. Our church went live via youtube as well, so we've been watching Sunday mornings which has been nicer than not going, but still not the same as actually being there. Plus we have young kids and they are not sitting through it so it is a little distracting. But still grateful the technology exists.

Quote:
I had to forgive God too - I hear you.
That's an interesting statement. What do you mean by that? I'm trying to think of a scenario where that was necessary and I can't think of one to be honest. I get that you can be angry at God. That I understand. But ultimately...do we forgive him? That would imply he did something wrong requiring forgiveness...which would not make him the God of the Bible would it?

Not trying to be confrontational, but I think rather for me, I come to my senses at whatever I'm angry about and realize that if I really trust him and believe that he has a plan for the good (not what I see as good necessarily) that one day I'll understand it, maybe not on this earth but in heaven perhaps, but it will be for good. And I have to trust that and give it all back to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
That's an interesting statement. What do you mean by that?
I think it's almost a topic better discussed in person because typing it out is a fairly big oversimplification. But essentially many Christians who first accepted Jesus as their Savior at a young or immature age (I think I was 12), and still go through difficult times in life (as we all have), I believe they can develop blocks in their heart or build walls with their intimacy with God. And so for some of us - the unorthodox answer was to - in a sense - forgive God our Heavenly Father, so we could see God in it's entirety, accepting God fully. Otherwise I think for some of us, resentment works it's way in, and the block stays. It took me a lot of soul searching to realize this.

From a traditional or religious standpoint you are 100% spot on. But from an unperfect human perspective - I can tell you - many many Christians could benefit from forgiving God. But again - it's almost more of the child-self doing the forgiving - not the adult self. The immature child within us who won't let go of the resentment otherwise.

Again it's fairly complicated - and frankly I love nothing more than the essential truths of the Bible and from God. In fact I detest complicated sermons and heady philosophical interpretations of the Bible. God is love, god renews our hearts and our minds and our bodies. We can either choose to walk in that light or stay in the dark. Simple stuff really. But for the sake of trying to explain or answer your question - there you have it.
Joekerr5796.50

03-24-2020, 06:12 AM   #24
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
I think it's almost a topic better discussed in person because typing it out is a fairly big oversimplification. But essentially many Christians who first accepted Jesus as their Savior at a young or immature age (I think I was 12), and still go through difficult times in life (as we all have), I believe they can develop blocks in their heart or build walls with their intimacy with God. And so for some of us - the unorthodox answer was to - in a sense - forgive God our Heavenly Father, so we could see God in it's entirety, accepting God fully. Otherwise I think for some of us, resentment works it's way in, and the block stays. It took me a lot of soul searching to realize this.

From a traditional or religious standpoint you are 100% spot on. But from an unperfect human perspective - I can tell you - many many Christians could benefit from forgiving God. But again - it's almost more of the child-self doing the forgiving - not the adult self. The immature child within us who won't let go of the resentment otherwise.

Again it's fairly complicated - and frankly I love nothing more than the essential truths of the Bible and from God. In fact I detest complicated sermons and heady philosophical interpretations of the Bible. God is love, god renews our hearts and our minds and our bodies. We can either choose to walk in that light or stay in the dark. Simple stuff really. But for the sake of trying to explain or answer your question - there you have it.
It can happen as an adult as well. My dad is a minister and I grew up in church.

At age 25, I lost my son to a terminal illness. And I still fight with it. I see people everyday having children that give them away, mistreat them, don't want them, and even abort them.

However we wanted our child and would have been great parents. Our daughter turned out to be a wonderful woman who makes me proud everyday.

I know how I should view things, but it's hard to swallow. Being human, you are going to question situations such as these.
      03-24-2020, 08:40 AM   #25
rebekahb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Quote:

It can happen as an adult as well. My dad is a minister and I grew up in church.

At age 25, I lost my son to a terminal illness. And I still fight with it. I see people everyday having children that give them away, mistreat them, don't want them, and even abort them.

However we wanted our child and would have been great parents. Our daughter turned out to be a wonderful woman who makes me proud everyday.

I know how I should view things, but it's hard to swallow. Being human, you are going to question situations such as these.
I think you said it perfectly, I know how I should view things but it's hard to swallow.

I know for me, that was the hardest part. I wanted to be happy for other people but my own grief just took over like a fog. I would put on a smiling face but once I was alone or away from the situation I would lose it. I would then get so angry along with guilt for the feelings I had. It was a vicious cycle. After a lot of work on myself I'm in a better place. It doesn't mean the pain and sense of losing out don't come, it just doesn't take me out like it used to. Going to church has helped even though there are times I still question why. I look at all the positive things (volunteering with our homeless mission & a mission trip to South Africa) I have been able to do that I otherwise might not have had the time to do and think maybe this is where my purpose lies.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 08:49 AM   #26
floridaorange
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

The church isn't always an easy place to go - I view it as a spiritual workout - just like the gym isn't always an easy place to go either.

I know my body needs to have consistent obstacles and stress or it will turn to mush, my spirit in a way needs to be pushed out if it's comfort zone as well.

Like muscle growth, body composition, weight loss can be tough to see progression the spirit is similar.

Long term & enteral benefits however are much more valuable than short term warm fuzzy feelings - like sleeping in and avoiding discomfort.

Our society much prefers comfort, I guess it's human nature of course.

It's nice to hear others relating to the notion of forgiving God.
      04-07-2020, 11:30 PM   #27
Nuckle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Today/Tomorrow is Passover Christians depending on when you read this. Just a few more days of sorrow with a giant day of celebration. I wish health and happiness to all. Let's all find something special to do in the coming days to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus! It was his plan then and it is still his plan now.

May peace by with you.
Appreciate 1
rebekahb417.00