BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

03-25-2020, 04:12 AM   #45
schoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
This has already been happening. It's called health insurance.
No, health insurance covers medical/care costs, not the loss of economic productivity of a person who is sick or dead.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 05:18 AM   #46
Fade_The_Public
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade_The_Public View Post
Using Trump as your crutch for the argument is nonsensical...
Trump must react in this manner otherwise its political suicide.
ITS JUST THE FUCKIN FLU.

US deaths Corona: 622 reports
2019 Flu season in US: 57,000
I am just curious have u taken an IQ test you your life? What was the result?
Masters degree in finance and 4 FINRA licenses. How's your credentials, sir?

Credentials aside, if you're buying into this nonsense then you're simply falling in line. Facts hurt.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 06:51 AM   #47
floridaorange
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
People rushed in after they heard the place is going to be closed due to COVID-19.
That's a tweet from Abigail Disney, the grand daughter of the co-founder of the Walt Disney Company.
These people seriously lack reality check.
In fact most Americans did/do.
Mask is not just for sick people when fighting against COVID-19 because you can infect others without knowing you're infected.
Covering face in public places shouldn't be taboo'd until the war against this virus is over.
Both the sick and the healthy should be wearing masks and bring hand sanitizers with them when leaving home.

60% - 70% of those people are not Americans mate. My wife and Mom and Aunt all worked in high positions at Disney and universal for many yrs. I know the numbers.

Settle down
      03-25-2020, 07:19 AM   #48
SumBMWGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: A German Car

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwv View Post
Quote:
ITS JUST THE FUCKIN FLU.

I am just curious have u taken an IQ test you your life? What was the result?
Masters degree in finance and 4 FINRA licenses. How's your credentials, sir?

Credentials aside, if you're buying into this nonsense then you're simply falling in line. Facts hurt.
So you're going to put others at risk because YOU don't believe this is serious.

Talk about selfish.
Appreciate 1
David70840.50

03-25-2020, 07:36 AM   #49
zx10guy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
The thread poses an interesting question in that what is the economic value of a human life? If the human is someone we don't know, then we're apt to equate a very low value. It's easy in that instance to play the cost/benefit game. But what if that human is you? Would any of you sacrifice your life for the benefit of the US economy?
Quote:
No, health insurance covers medical/care costs, not the loss of economic productivity of a person who is sick or dead.
I quoted your post again. You asked if there was an economic value for human life. And I responded by that has been happening with health insurance. To which you responded above where health insurance covers medical/care costs.

It's apparent you don't understand how health insurance works. Who and how do you think insurance companies make a determination on what is covered and how much to pay? It's all based on some bean counter and actuarial making a determination. If you think the decisions are driven mainly by a medical call, you're sadly mistaken. There have been procedures which have been denied because it was deemed unnecessary by insurance even though doctors have stated it was medically necessary. When you're suffering from a major illness, you know full well about being denied for procedures which can save your life. Having had cancer and a heart condition, I have experienced this. An example is a specific MRI that only one medical facility in my area can do to take a close look at where my aorta originates from my heart. My vascular doctor wanted to get a closer look at that area as I'm in danger of having an aortic aneurysm. My insurance denied the scan saying the CT scan I had which was totally unrelated to this heart condition for my cancer checkup was sufficient. My doctor appealed and insurance again denied it. So per your comment, there was a price put on me about my life. Because the end result is that I can fall dead if that area for what ever reason bursts.

To summarize this and tie it back to your comment, yes, a price/economic value has been placed on human life and it's called health insurance. This is further reinforced by the fact these companies are for profit and you cannot tell me that does not weigh heavily on their coverage decisions.
Appreciate 1
minn196908.50

03-25-2020, 08:23 AM   #50
VisualEcho
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Masters degree in finance and 4 FINRA licenses.
Looks like you should stick to finance.
MKSixer23187.50
minn196908.50
Salty Dog3524.50

03-25-2020, 08:56 AM   #51
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
60% - 70% of those people are not Americans mate. My wife and Mom and Aunt all worked in high positions at Disney and universal for many yrs. I know the numbers.

Settle down
I wasn't talking specifically about the people in the picture.
One of many examples: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ed-coronavirus
Pure Stage 1 | DV+ & Inlet | Injen Intake | M3 Cowl | ETS 5" FMIC & CP | Aquamist HFS4 Direct Port | CSF Radiator | Wagner Catted DP | BMW PE | MHD Custom tune | xHP Stage 3 | Apex FL-5 | Michelin PS4S | 335is Engine mount | SDW Monoball thrust arms | UUC Swaybars & SS Brake lines | Bilstein B8 | Dinan Springs & Shock mounts | Whiteline RSFB | M3 Rear Control arms | Manzo Toe arms

Last edited by Supermoon; 03-25-2020 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 08:59 AM   #52
Fade_The_Public
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
Masters degree in finance and 4 FINRA licenses.
Looks like you should stick to finance.
You, sir, are a straight up moron if you think this virus warrants a public sector shutdown. You'd think this forum breeds intelligence but in reality it harvests morons.

Not referring to anyone that understands this whole thing is ludicrous.

IM OUT
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 09:05 AM   #53
adc100
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Quote:
This whole thing is a function of the omnipresent media and the power they wield over every day living, government, politics, etc.
Period.
You might ask yourself, are these 2 things mutually exclusive? Can the virus be a pandemic without the media portrayal? I'm a resounding no on this one. Anyone that buys into the pandemic/hysteria are merely pawns.
Very seldom that those from the right and the left on this board declare a poster an idiot.
You sir have earned that "distinction"

I could refute your points (not logic) one by one. But why bother.
Appreciate 4
David70840.50
tuco44625.00
minn196908.50
Salty Dog3524.50

03-25-2020, 09:08 AM   #54
Fade_The_Public
Private
Rep

Keep drinkin the coolaid.

I assume youre not driving a vehicle because it's the root cause of hundreds of thousand of deaths across the globe annually?

I also assume you're picketing companies that manufacture simple chained sugars because they are in direct correlation with hundreds of thousand of deaths annually caused by diabetes and heart disease?

No? I didnt think so.
Just be quiet you fool.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 09:37 AM   #55
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
What does the alternative look like for us if we just ignore the virus and get back to our normal routines?
Accelerated infection rate, overloaded medical system, overcrowded hospitals, shortage of supplies or no supplies, increased death rate, financial strain on uninsured, greater economic impact over the long term.
Appreciate 2
David70840.50
minn196908.50

03-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #56
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Accelerated infection rate, overloaded medical system, overcrowded hospitals, shortage of supplies or no supplies, increased death rate, financial strain on uninsured, greater economic impact over the long term.
This is my problem with the idea of just doing nothing, going on with life and seeing what happens. If someone said we now have the facilities, equipment and healthcare people to deal with the problem I might agree with a plan of some reduced restrictions (need to see the plan to agree). Get rid of many of the worst things that could happen and it doesn't look nearly as bad.

Worst are the politicians that say they are OK with living life but at the same time they know that most of the above won't apply to them or their family.

03-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #57
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
ITS JUST THE FUCKIN FLU.

Quote:
Yeah I'll be guy going about my everyday life....cuz ya know....ITS THE FUCKING FLU
You're incorrect. I appreciate your position of not panicking as it isn't good for anyone.

You are conflating infectious diseases. The coronavirus IS NOT common influenza. Let's start with definitions since you are denying the existence of pan/epidemic status.

Epidemic: adjective
epĚ​iĚ​demĚ​ic | \ ˌe-pə-ˈde-mik \
Definition of epidemic (Entry 1 of 2)
1 : affecting or tending to affect a disproportionately large number of individuals within a population, community, or region at the same time
typhoid was epidemic
2a : excessively prevalent

b : CONTAGIOUS sense 4
epidemic laughter
3 : characterized by very widespread growth or extent : of, relating to, or constituting an epidemic

Pandemic: adjective
panĚ​demĚ​ic | \ pan-ˈde-mik \
Definition of pandemic (Entry 1 of 2)
: occurring over a wide geographic area and affecting an exceptionally high proportion of the population

Based on these two definitions coronavirus COVID-19 qualifies as both pandemic and epidemic. It is contagious. It affects a large proportion of the population. It occurs over a large geographic area.

Now lets look at contagiousness and known rate of death using today's numbers. Total infected: 441187. Total mortalities: 19784.

This yields a known mortality rate of 4.48%. The mortality rate of the common flu is 0.1%. This means that the mortality rate of COVID-19 is almost 45 times higher than that of the common flu.

Lastly, this is a novel contagion. Novel means that there is no herd immunity to the contagion which is why there is so much danger to the general population.

Please stop spreading your false information. You are a danger to anyone who might listen to you.

I wish the best for you and your family and enjoin you to not put yourself and them at risk.

Cheers-mk
Attached Images

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 7
David70840.50
rebekahb452.00
mirob831.50
minn196908.50
Salty Dog3524.50

03-25-2020, 12:05 PM   #58
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Worst are the politicians that say they are OK with living life but at the same time they know that most of the above won't apply to them or their family.
If I had immediate access to medical staff, the ability to be chauffeured around in private car and jets, in addition had an army of cleaners disinfecting every inch of area I work in then I too would say the same but the rest of us are not as privileged as these individuals who are supposedly civil servants yet live like Kings/Queens.
Appreciate 5
MKSixer23187.50
mirob831.50
David70840.50
minn196908.50
Salty Dog3524.50

03-25-2020, 12:11 PM   #59
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumBMWGuy View Post
So you're going to put others at risk because YOU don't believe this is serious.
here is one serious fact:
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...apacity-148259

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/dhs...ift-facilities

Quote:
Very simple question: Does health insurance (or any commercially available insurance) make the US economy whole due to your loss of productivity if you were to die due to COVID-19?
AFLAC or similar may have provisions for this type of economic loss to an individual and or family.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:14 PM   #60
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
If I had immediate access to medical staff, the ability to be chauffeured around in private car and jets, in addition had an army of cleaners disinfecting every inch of area I work in then I too would say the same but the rest of us are not as privileged as these individuals who are supposedly civil servants yet live like Kings/Queens.
You two Gentlemen, Win Tag-Team Internet of the Day. Congratulations!!

The elite and entrenched political class live lives separate from that of the average American and the gulf is only becoming more apparent. They are a scourge on our country and need to be voted out of office. Unless this happens we are doomed as a republic and a society.

Disclaimer: I'm using binary designations because there are only 2 genders recognized by science.

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 4
iconoclast4567.50
Rmtt7089.00
minn196908.50

03-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #61
jamesinaz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
This was always coming eventually. The fact that we and our system are ill prepared is nobodies fault but our own. The fact that we don't have better systems in place for something like this is nobodies fault but ours.

We suck it up and deal with it. We save our money better. We don't over extend ourselves financially - we take better maintenance of our physical, mental, emotional, spiritual selves. We prioritize our lives better and we learn SOMETHING from this and change for the better.

What other options are there?
Good comment.

Some of us have been worried for years at the level of government debt. Building a $20 Trillion debt bomb when we are in good times (aka no war or massive natural disaster) is simply unacceptable. Plus a run rate where we are adding $1 T to it every year without doing any massive extra spending.

Combine that with the typical US family deciding it can buy new cars and take vacations so long as they have that income stream uninterrupted longer than a month and bam. Double whammy.

This virus and all the tools we realize we need aren't what will destroy us. It is the crashing of the house of cards economy as the entwined system of debt realizes there is no one else to bail it out.

And before anyone gets political neither party gets a pass on this. It has been happening for a long time through many administrations. The last time anyone even tried to get it under control in any meaningful way was Clinton because he was forced to by the Gingrich GOP revolution. Agreed Clinton didn't fight it much. Sadly that revolution fizzled out and Gingrich was destroyed by his political enemies.

I had a dream when GW Bush was elected and the GOP in power in both senate and house. I dreamed they would give a damn and restore fiscal sanity. Well, it was a dream after all.
Appreciate 1
minn196908.50

03-25-2020, 12:59 PM   #62
Fade_The_Public
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
You're incorrect. I appreciate your position of not panicking as it isn't good for anyone.

You are conflating infectious diseases. The coronavirus IS NOT common influenza. Let's start with definitions since you are denying the existence of pan/epidemic status.

Epidemic: adjective
epĚ​iĚ​demĚ​ic | \ ˌe-pə-ˈde-mik \
Definition of epidemic (Entry 1 of 2)
1 : affecting or tending to affect a disproportionately large number of individuals within a population, community, or region at the same time
typhoid was epidemic
2a : excessively prevalent

b : CONTAGIOUS sense 4
epidemic laughter
3 : characterized by very widespread growth or extent : of, relating to, or constituting an epidemic

Pandemic: adjective
panĚ​demĚ​ic | \ pan-ˈde-mik \
Definition of pandemic (Entry 1 of 2)
: occurring over a wide geographic area and affecting an exceptionally high proportion of the population

Based on these two definitions coronavirus COVID-19 qualifies as both pandemic and epidemic. It is contagious. It affects a large proportion of the population. It occurs over a large geographic area.

Now lets look at contagiousness and known rate of death using today's numbers. Total infected: 441187. Total mortalities: 19784.

This yields a known mortality rate of 4.48%. The mortality rate of the common flu is 0.1%. This means that the mortality rate of COVID-19 is almost 45 times higher than that of the common flu.

Lastly, this is a novel contagion. Novel means that there is no herd immunity to the contagion which is why there is so much danger to the general population.

Please stop spreading your false information. You are a danger to anyone who might listen to you.

I wish the best for you and your family and enjoin you to not put yourself and them at risk.

Cheers-mk
Splendid write up..

Now perhaps a write up on how heart disease has killed more Americans today than Corona will when the dust settles?

Get out of here with this pandemic bullshit.
It's the flu and only suffering are the pre-disposed.
Stop drinking the cool-aid. This is political/monetarily driven.
Appreciate 1
Roma_335i400.00

03-25-2020, 01:18 PM   #63
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Splendid write up..

Now perhaps a write up on how heart disease has killed more Americans today than Corona will when the dust settles?

I've spent years working in ID. This is real. I'm sorry you lack the comprehension to understand what is actually occurring. Please continue to work in the financial services industry, as many have rightfully suggested, since you aren't qualified to render relevant opinions in the healthcare space.

Does FINRA have the same penalties for all financial improprieties committed by financial services professionals? Of course not. Because the types of malfeasance which can be committed are numerous and varied. You are literally conflating heart disease and COVID-19 after saying the latter was the same as the flu. Everything you think is literally incorrect. You are even ignoring the ACTUAL DEFINITIONS and inserting your own. I hope your rigor in your profession is much better than that demonstrated here.

Again, best of luck to your family and I truly hope that you aren't carrying and spreading COVID-19 as liberally as you are sharing your opinion on a subject of which you have no understanding.

Cheers-mk

Appreciate 4
David70840.50
minn196908.50
Salty Dog3524.50

03-25-2020, 01:42 PM   #64
adc100
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Quote:

I realize you are trolling. But I'll play since I am sitting here eating lunch.
Are you saying, " I can go and get killed crossing a traintrack and so what, I can get killed in a traffic accident"

My thought would be that anyone who makes it a point of irresponsibly going out to attend a social gathering should get run over and squashed by a tractor trailer on the way" The world would be better off.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 01:46 PM   #65
Fade_The_Public
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post

I've spent years working in ID. This is real. I'm sorry you lack the comprehension to understand what is actually occurring. Please continue to work in the financial services industry, as many have rightfully suggested, since you aren't qualified to render relevant opinions in the healthcare space.

Does FINRA have the same penalties for all financial improprieties committed by financial services professionals? Of course not. Because the types of malfeasance which can be committed are numerous and varied. You are literally conflating heart disease and COVID-19 after saying the latter was the same as the flu. Everything you think is literally incorrect. You are even ignoring the ACTUAL DEFINITIONS and inserting your own. I hope your rigor in your profession is much better than that demonstrated here.

Again, best of luck to your family and I truly hope that you aren't carrying and spreading COVID-19 as liberally as you are sharing your opinion on a subject of which you have no understanding.

Cheers-mk
Maybe I should take a step back. My intention was not to mitigate the seriousness of the flu, but to highlight the actions taken and deem them frivolous, at best. I'm not saying Corona isn't real. I'm saying it is conflated and the actions taken are completely unnecessary. Crushing middle class America at the expense of a hand full of lives, relatively? Jacking up unemployment to a projected 20%? Taking on trillions of dollars of additional debt? How are you not seeing the risk/reward trade-off in this? Please cite sources where able bodied citizens have perished from this in droves and I'll listen. I'm sure you can only provide articles where the predisposed are falling fatally ill. Book it.

Seriously, nothing you can say will change my mind and nothing I can say will change yours. So, what's the point of all this? Similar to a Trump voter that can't be converted to a Hillary voter. It's the same fucking thing.

THEREFORE, I'm done posting to a crowd that can't understand the economic impact at the expense of a handful of lives. I'll even concede that is more potent than the flu, but at what cost?

Don't waste your time quoting. I will not respond to any additional posts. I'm not budging and neither are you. Agree to disagree.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 01:47 PM   #66
CTinline-six
Welcome to Jurassic Park
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Splendid write up..

You can't give someone heart disease by walking through the same room as them.

Do a bit more reading before saying only the pre-disposed are suffering.

I'm starting to doubt you have the credentials you mention.
minn196908.50
David70840.50