BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

View Poll Results: Should the US force critical supplies sold in America, fully made in America!
Yes, We can not depend on China for our supplies and security 22 68.75%
No, that's protectionism 10 31.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

03-26-2020, 04:13 PM   #67
anglo
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyprac View Post
I rarely post here, usually lurk m3 forum but this Anglo guy spouts alot of contradictory things specially when it comes to American politics. To be honest I think he's either a troll or a paid shill. When asked certain direct questions into his "political ideals" he goes off tangent, ignores, or deflects. I'm positive he's not even Republican. I can't take his posts in political threads seriously.
When i criticized the ill treatment of women by Islam
Some attacked me too, i was called a Mossad agent!

I've been called a Russian bot by RD as well . It's pretty scary how paranoid some of you are.

I've never claimed to be a Republican. Lol
Appreciate 1
c1pher1826.50

03-26-2020, 04:26 PM   #68
quick6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M6,BMW M340i

I believe Mexico stands a chance of being an inexpensive manufacturer of these critical products if they can attract investment through a more stable government.
Appreciate 1
anglo56633.50

03-26-2020, 04:34 PM   #69
anglo
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
The topic is U.S. companies engaging in commerce overseas in ways that put the U.S. in danger. Applies equally whether they're buying or selling or hiring work done.

This
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 06:35 PM   #70
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
This would be an inaccurate statement.

In this terminology - a 'public' company would be one funded by taxpayer dollars.

In another context - a public company can also mean a publicly traded company - but this is a different context.

The two are not the same thing.
I disagree with that definition but lets say your correct what the difference of direct finance over when a portion of your stocks are paid for by government pensions, government influence and incentives 401k, largest customer is the government and so on.

My definition which is the historic definition is any entity that lacks an individual owner, who uses his private money, and privately own lands

Last edited by NormanConquest; 03-26-2020 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 07:42 PM   #71
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by quick6 View Post
I believe Mexico stands a chance of being an inexpensive manufacturer of these critical products if they can attract investment through a more stable government.
I donít really think Mexico is our ally.....maybe neutral at best.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 08:53 PM   #72
Eriphill
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I donít really think Mexico is our ally.....maybe neutral at best.
Too compromised by the cartels. India. Cheap labor, educated population, and a democracy.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 09:03 PM   #73
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriphill View Post
Too compromised by the cartels. India. Cheap labor, educated population, and a democracy.
India really isnít our ally either. I think they could be but the government really needs to make a change. Right now they are too busy trying to follow the Chinese model of bilking us for what they can. But mainly itís through jobs and industry, not technology theft...so itís viewed a little more positively. Just check out HCL and Infosys and their practices. That just scratches the surface.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 07:04 AM   #74
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
I disagree with that definition but lets say your correct what the difference of direct finance over when a portion of your stocks are paid for by government pensions, government influence and incentives 401k, largest customer is the government and so on.

My definition which is the historic definition is any entity that lacks an individual owner, who uses his private money, and privately own lands
Lol - you can disagree all you want - but the facts are the facts. Just because you disagree that the definition of "false" means something is not true, doesn't make it any less so.

Good grief.
      03-27-2020, 07:33 AM   #75
anglo
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

I'm not advocating everything need to be made in America, like fighter jets, drones, missiles...critical supplies, meds should be made right here.

Sad to see all the Dems arguing it's ok to solely rely on communist China for your critical supplies, look at Spain, Italy, the US we were left with no supplies at all because China stopped their exports to the West.

Nothing has changed since the H1N1 outbreak, time to do something different!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 07:35 AM   #76
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Lol - you can disagree all you want - but the facts are the facts. Just because you disagree that the definition of "false" means something is not true, doesn't make it any less so.

Good grief.
Historically I'm correct

the private spear is
Individual
Family

the public spear covers
The Public
The Public Sector
The Nation
The Society
The Social Group
The Collective
The Commons
The Commune
The Group
The State
Public Company
Public Department

There a reason why Amazon/Apple/Microsoft/Walmart is called a public company and not a private company.

You complete avoided my other point regarding cash infussion by the government to those public companies, I'm curious why?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 07:37 AM   #77
anglo
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2...ug-exports-us/

'Wake-up call': Chinese control of U.S. pharmaceutical supplies sparks growing concern.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 08:04 AM   #78
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Historically I'm correct

the private spear is
Individual
Family

the public spear covers
The Public
The Public Sector
The Nation
The Society
The Social Group
The Collective
The Commons
The Commune
The Group
The State
Public Company
Public Department

There a reason why Amazon/Apple/Microsoft/Walmart is called a public company and not a private company.

You complete avoided my other point regarding cash infussion by the government to those public companies, I'm curious why?

Actual U.S. definitions:

Public Company (govt. Defined): A company that is wholy owned by the U.S. Government and is funded via appropriations by congress (state, local or federal) and ultimately the U.S. taxpayer. Examples include, the USPS, the public school system, the department of defense, NOAA, OSHA, NASA, and so forth.

Public Company (finance Defined): A non-governmental agency that is publicly listed on an exchange where equity is actively traded in the open market. Examples include companies listed on the NASDAQ, NYSE, or other trading platforms such as Google, Apple, Bank of America, Dow Chemical, and others. Note that this definition is completely independent of the first definition and has no relation whatsoever to government control or contracts.

Private Company(govt. and finance Defined): A company that not government owned or controlled and is held by individuals, a group of individuals, or private investors where in the equity of the company is not actively traded in an open market. Examples would be companies that are sole proprietorship, LLPs, or large corporations that are held by PE. Some real life examples would be Publix Supermarkets, PricewaterhouseCoopers, KPMG, Cargill, JADEX, and Mars, Inc.
minn196959.50

03-27-2020, 08:22 AM   #79
anglo
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Tell us how to fix it, not how Trump is doing everything wrong. All the Libs do is criticize, never offer a solution.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #80
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Actual U.S. definitions:

Public Company (govt. Defined): A company that is wholy owned by the U.S. Government and is funded via appropriations by congress (state, local or federal) and ultimately the U.S. taxpayer. Examples include, the USPS, the public school system, the department of defense, NOAA, OSHA, NASA, and so forth.

Public Company (finance Defined): A non-governmental agency that is publicly listed on an exchange where equity is actively traded in the open market. Examples include companies listed on the NASDAQ, NYSE, or other trading platforms such as Google, Apple, Bank of America, Dow Chemical, and others. Note that this definition is completely independent of the first definition and has no relation whatsoever to government control or contracts.

Private Company(govt. and finance Defined): A company that not government owned or controlled and is held by individuals, a group of individuals, or private investors where in the equity of the company is not actively traded in an open market. Examples would be companies that are sole proprietorship, LLPs, or large corporations that are held by PE. Some real life examples would be Publix Supermarkets, PricewaterhouseCoopers, KPMG, Cargill, JADEX, and Mars, Inc.
Simple question, who owns Amazon. Does s/he use his own money to make investment. Does s/he sololy owns all the property, products, and direct control of the labor.

If any of those you answer no, then it not private.
It public.

What makes government public companies and general public companies public. The lack of an individual owner. Which goes back to my original statement that both are horrible entities since they lose it humanity and morality due to it collective mind set of just gaining power or money
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 08:34 AM   #81
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Simple question, who owns Amazon. Does s/he use his own money to make investment. Does s/he sololy owns all the property, products, and direct control of the labor.

If any of those you answer no, then it not private.
It public.

What makes government public companies and general public companies public. The lack of an individual owner. Which goes back to my original statement that both are horrible entities since they lose it humanity and morality due to it collective mind set of just gaining power or money
This is like trying to explain color to a blind person. I give up.
      03-27-2020, 08:37 AM   #82
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

Quote:
This is like trying to explain color to a blind person. I give up.
People are entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent13734.00

03-27-2020, 08:45 AM   #83
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by other_evolved View Post
People are entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.
Facts are on my side.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 10:21 AM   #84
vreihen16
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
I'm not advocating everything need to be made in America, like fighter jets, drones, missiles...critical supplies, meds should be made right here.
Since Uncle Sam is doing the procuring, just add a restriction that all products purchased must be sourced from the USA and made with xx% USA-made components. Xenophobia issue solved, and actually a humanitarian thing to do with our country's businesses bidding on the global market against smaller countries for the same materials.....
      03-27-2020, 10:23 AM   #85
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 F150, 20 GLI, 19 ZLE, 212S

Quote:
Yes - to watch Anglo, who professes to be a libertarian argue so strongly for government mandating what a private company can and cannot do, that you - someone who is certainly liberal in their beliefs - say 'whoa man, that's too far' - well, I don't have anything further.

Crazy times man.

When you coming to the mountains to do some Dragon runs with me? Shine waiting.
How I wish I could, trust me. I'm not even sure I'm going to be able to schedule use my "free" M School day in South Carolina this year or not anymore (not just because of CV19).
Appreciate 3
Run Silent13734.00
Rmtt7229.00

03-27-2020, 10:58 AM   #86
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
How I wish I could, trust me. I'm not even sure I'm going to be able to schedule use my "free" M School day in South Carolina this year or not anymore (not just because of CV19).
I just do the gold mine run in PA and have a blast.
Appreciate 1
minn196959.50

03-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #87
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I was lucky enough to get to do that right before Christmas.

I could stand to do it again....man talking about blowing off some steam!

03-27-2020, 11:49 AM   #88
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 F150, 20 GLI, 19 ZLE, 212S

Quote:
I just do the gold mine run in PA and have a blast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I was lucky enough to get to do that right before Christmas.

I could stand to do it again....man talking about blowing off some steam!
My fam and I took the ZLE to get a car wash and go talk to our in laws from the street/driveway. When we left, I put about a 40 foot streak of rubber down.

Cold weather plus all seasons plus 650 hp/tq equals pretty easy burnouts. They were laughing and texted us later saying the neighbours (who know us well) thought it was pretty funny/helped break up some of the tension for a moment.
Appreciate 3
Rmtt7229.00