BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

04-13-2020, 10:57 AM   #199
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
These two posts combined are the correct answer to the wrong question; it's not about China, it's about national security and smart economics:

(1.) Have the best intelligence network and be ready to listen to it and act

(2.) Have the best capabilities - a country can't act on intelligence with outsourced/vulnerable capabilities, especially mission-critical ones like healthcare supply chain. (e.g., don't make all your IV bags in Puerto Rico because hurricanes)

(3.) Have the best friends network - a country can't fight on foreign soil or easily handle a crisis unless it has friends; and it certainly can't gather intelligence or expect goodwill assistance.

With these three things, we're prepared for any crisis, which we'll always have, be it from China or elsewhere.

Without these 3 things, we're fucked.
why cant there be an AND? AND create international laws against the poor judgement used in countries like China?

Your solution is flawed because its all about preparing and has nothing to do with preventing. If you take out zoonitcs and replacing it with radioactive material basically your solution would be to prepare for the fallout from meltdown or nuclear war, but have no laws in place to protect one from happening. i.e. international standards, sanctions against arming etc etc etc.

It needs to be about preparing AND preventing. Its not enough to dismiss it by saying "well bats carry viruses so its just a matter of time until one comes into contact with a human". Would you really not feel it greatly increases the probability of zoonotic to transfer of viruses if humans are eating them, and and purposely in close contact with them every day in markets?!

For the life or me I just cant understand why people are shying away from the source of this problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 03:57 PM   #200
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
Your solution is flawed because its all about preparing and has nothing to do with preventing.
Rule #1 of reading: start at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
(1.) Have the best intelligence network and be ready to listen to it and act
But, the key is, you can't prevent all crises, so you must be prepared to respond to any crisis at any time; ideally by at least being forewarned so you can put up all protective measures that have been prepped.

If you dismantle those warning and preparation systems, and ignore intelligence, then you're neither forewarned nor able to competently respond -- which is exactly what happened in the US with Covid19.

And it's what'll happen with any new crisis the US faces because the federal government isn't doing shit to fix our unprecedented incompetent covid19 response that's killed more Americans than recent wars.

But, the good news is, Federalism increases ... when the federal gov't consistently fails, States can align and coordinate to ignore the feds and fill the competency gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.

Last edited by GrussGott; 04-13-2020 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2020, 04:13 PM   #201
supboner
Rep
Drives: BMW M340iXdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriphill View Post
Oh and never forget...

If this happens in NYC, would mayor or Cuomo have the guts to do the real lockdown?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 09:04 PM   #202
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 09:13 PM   #203
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by supboner View Post
If this happens in NYC, would mayor or Cuomo have the guts to do the real lockdown?
Not sure what you mean by "if" given the 1000s of NYers dead, but that kind of lock-down is really a little-win last ditch population intervention after the horse is already out of the barn.

If the US had an extensive intelligence network the Federal Government was willing to listen to (meaning act on the intelligence), then the US would've known about the potential infection danger and executed a FULL travel ban (vs the travel restriction that actually happened).

But even that wouldn't have been enough without a robust case management capability to do fast widespread testing and contact tracing so you can identify all travellers the left before the ban and test, trace, and quarantine. Given the Federal Government gutted the NIH, FDA, CDC and other orgs, and ignored US agency intelligence and the advice of those left, the US had and has no capabilities to test & trace.

Given our feckless inept federal government - who believes US taxpayer funded supplies don't belong to US taxpayers and is unwilling to use its powers to protect US citizens, its #1 job - the only hope now is for US governors to step in, push the federal government aside, coordinate the creation of those capabilities, and get the country operational again.

Before the next crisis hits.

Quote:
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 10:19 PM   #204
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
In useful fact-based news, this is interesting:

Here's what's interesting to me:

(1.) Covid19 seems to be correlated with vitamin D levels and/or melatonin (total initial data, who-the-fuck knows, etc caveat). Maybe this (these?) cohort(s) get a decent amount of sun?

(2.) "Metabolic strength" has been rumored to have a protective effect against covid (that's code for not fatfucks, fattys, the roly poly, even the husky) My assumption is the homeless aren't that metabolically healthy, don't have great diets, aren't caught up on their vitamins, etc so, maybe "metabolic health" being primarily protective is crap? Although, it's possible the homeless do have lower levels of visceral fat, so maybe still something to it. They also oddly probably get a lot of exercise.

(3.) We can probably start with some clever de-sheltering at this point Maybe the young, etc and/or maybe we can figure out the protective secret here and turn it into a therapeutic?

(note: seems like I shouldn't have to say this, but please nobody say experimenting on the homeless is totally cool if it saves the economy)

Quote:

Last edited by GrussGott; 04-15-2020 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 0