BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

01-19-2023, 11:41 PM   #1
Jjoynt
Private
Rep
Drives: AY F82 CCBs MPE

LCI Worth it?

Anyone have strong opinions on whether the LCI coupe cars are worth it or not? I really want e-Copper (LCI color only), but a tad difficult in my mind to justify paying a 10-15k premium for it. Think I likely ultimately will though.

The newer iDrive and bigger battery pack is nice I guess. Same with the carbon interior trim w/ the e-Copper interior as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 09:53 AM   #2
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
$10k-$15k for maybe 10 miles extra battery range. You do the math.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 04:16 PM   #3
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

This is a question has been asked many times on this forumn.

Owners of Pre-LCI cars always no.
Owners of LCI cars always say yes.

As one would expect people support the cars they own.

I have owned both and now have an LCI car. I cannot tell the difference, but i know the car will always have a premium over the non-LCI cars. I always say get the best car you can afford and condition/mileage is more important that MY. If two cars have the same mileage and condition and you have the means go for the newest MY.
Appreciate 1
dhurng407.00
      01-23-2023, 12:54 PM   #4
dhurng
Rep
Drives: '19 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5506m View Post
This is a question has been asked many times on this forumn.

Owners of Pre-LCI cars always no.
Owners of LCI cars always say yes.

As one would expect people support the cars they own.

I have owned both and now have an LCI car. I cannot tell the difference, but i know the car will always have a premium over the non-LCI cars. I always say get the best car you can afford and condition/mileage is more important that MY. If two cars have the same mileage and condition and you have the means go for the newest MY.

I think this is perfectly put.

Coming from a recent purchase I did contemplate this a lot as well and I would say if both conditions (mil/wear/etc) are similar then definitely go with the LCI.

Not for the battery itself but the surplus years of warranty on it ~7 years - factory year.

I ultimately needed apple carplay, heated seats, hud and more years on warranty to make the call.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 08:19 PM   #5
thesubmitter
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 BMW i8 Acura MDX

Apparently LCI coupes are very rare but LCI still have depreciating to do it seems

I like have carplay (wireless) its vain but it makes my car entertainment system never go out of date

I didnt know pre lci didnt have hud
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 02:04 AM   #6
mwhfgjvcg
Rep
Drives: I8

Pre LCi offer HUD, I do have it on my 2014 model.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 12:37 PM   #7
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

The most important LCI changes for me were in performance, especially handling. Combination of stiffer chassis, sportier 'sport' handling software, lighter rims, bit more power with greater range. After three years of ownership, I appreciate the awesome copper interior w cf, the Donington gray exterior, lasers, and most of the little issues like windshield cracking and AC resolved.
Appreciate 3
      01-29-2023, 04:14 PM   #8
dort89
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yes
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 12:12 AM   #9
Jjoynt
Private
Rep
Drives: AY F82 CCBs MPE

Thank you all for the opinions. I wanted to get updated thoughts as most other LCI threads are fairly old. 3-4yrs ago I certainly would not have the paid the large/gap premium for LCI, but now that prices have consolidated, for me it does make sense since I will appreciate the smaller updates/features.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 03:07 PM   #10
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep
Drives: I8 Coupe

I'd like to turn your question upside down.

I got a Non-lci 2014 as it was way cheaper. The only car I lust after as replacement is a LCI, for the battery and just because will probably trade mine for a LCI at some point.
financially it still makes no sense to get a LCI, but if you have the cash..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 10:32 AM   #11
TheRiddler
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorgzx View Post
I'd like to turn your question upside down.

I got a Non-lci 2014 as it was way cheaper. The only car I lust after as replacement is a LCI, for the battery and just because will probably trade mine for a LCI at some point.
financially it still makes no sense to get a LCI, but if you have the cash..
Curious, how reliable has your 2014 been? Have you had any major issues with it that requires it to sit in the shop for a long period of time & does it have warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 03:33 AM   #12
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep
Drives: I8 Coupe

Thanks for the question, its a very pointy one, I was very unceartain about bying a wildly complicated car from beta year with no warranty.

However it's 90% based on std bmw solutions.

Full disclosiure my engine (petrol) blew up.

Wife driving @ 100km/h motorway, oilpressure warning, then kerplunk inside 30seconds.

Turns out the oil filter is rotated and connected via 90 degree "adapter". Mini engine repurposed, custom parts for wierd small run car. Gasket failed, dumping all the oil in no time. Never heard about anoyone else having that fault.

Engine was NOT replaced on good will as I had one service that was late (bmw I tech was on vacation) and the car had a few km over 100.000. was not wildly expensive sub 10k eur. But I did haggle.

Other than that it has been totally reliable, still love it.
It throws a few errors and does stupid stuff, but no more than any bmw 5 series. I've not had any of the common faults, perhaps because this is my daily driver so it never sits.

It is not bmw serviced, as i find my local shop is more capable (I have 7+ company cars running, most bmw.
Appreciate 0