BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

01-25-2023, 11:34 AM   #1
Javaq
Rep
Drives: BMW 4-series

Possible first i8 - questions

Hello!

I have been looking for an i8 and now possible purchase is close by.

I have some questions about the car and maybe you could help me

- Car is used (2015 model) and has about 100k km (62k miles). Anything what I should really be aware or know on those mileages? Car has perfect service history. Front brake discs are original ones. How long those should last?

-Is it possible to fit skibag (about 180cm long) inside the cabin - somehow? Thought about lowering the passenger seat down or diagonally from behind the driver seat trought to the passenger seat?

-I live in Northern Europe so winter is really a winter. Car has a proper winter tires and driving in winter should not be problem?

-Anything else I should be aware of?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 12:00 PM   #2
dhurng
Rep
Drives: '19 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaq View Post
Hello!

- Car is used (2015 model) and has about 100k km (62k miles). Anything what I should really be aware or know on those mileages? Car has perfect service history. Front brake discs are original ones. How long those should last?

-Is it possible to fit skibag (about 180cm long) inside the cabin - somehow? Thought about lowering the passenger seat down or diagonally from behind the driver seat trought to the passenger seat?

-I live in Northern Europe so winter is really a winter. Car has a proper winter tires and driving in winter should not be problem?

Nice! So from my view:

1) 2023 - 2015 = 8 years which i believe is > 7 factory years for the battery. This is huge and could and should be make/break decision due to the pricing of the fix, if anything were to go wrong. Not sure if this can be extended or what depending on location.

2) So far I can fit 6.5' boards and golf clubs without major issues and without leaning the seat back down, just backward. But there is a great suction roof rack option available

3) winter driving i cannot speak for but it will affect your battery which is already somewhat concerning as stated in 1. But you can just rely on petrol majority of the time anyways

4) I hate to say this and might get heat for it, but maintenance on these things are a pain. Definitely definitely extend that warranty if possible. I have an '19 w/18k miles and i already have some issues with trunk getting locked in and not opening sometimes, window regulator issues, rear window heating issues etc. relatively minor things of course but not so much if you aren't covered.

All in all, if possible, consider looking into a newer year 2016+. I believe 2014-2015 have the most issues regardless of pre-lci vs lci.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 08:15 PM   #3
thesubmitter
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 BMW i8 Acura MDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaq View Post
Hello!

I drive the car in Montreal in winter as long as there are no high snow bumps, its 4wd and pre heats like a champ

There is a post here on how to check the life of the battery

Would recommend an independent inspection

I also have a 2019 so cant comment on longevity. Its been fine so far, there was one small issue which snowballed into a major issue but was covered by warranty
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 08:16 PM   #4
thesubmitter
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurng View Post
Nice! So from my view:

1) 2023 - 2015 = 8 years which i believe is > 7 factory years for the battery. This is huge and could and should be make/break decision due to the pricing of the fix, if anything were to go wrong. Not sure if this can be extended or what depending on location.

2) So far I can fit 6.5' boards and golf clubs without major issues and without leaning the seat back down, just backward. But there is a great suction roof rack option available

3) winter driving i cannot speak for but it will affect your battery which is already somewhat concerning as stated in 1. But you can just rely on petrol majority of the time anyways

4) I hate to say this and might get heat for it, but maintenance on these things are a pain. Definitely definitely extend that warranty if possible. I have an '19 w/18k miles and i already have some issues with trunk getting locked in and not opening sometimes, window regulator issues, rear window heating issues etc. relatively minor things of course but not so much if you aren't covered.

All in all, if possible, consider looking into a newer year 2016+. I believe 2014-2015 have the most issues regardless of pre-lci vs lci.

Hope this helps!
The trunk issue is very common, there are several solutions including the emergency handle being not in place or the latch being misaligned
Not worth getting a warranty because of that
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 10:56 AM   #5
tommyb13662
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

My 2016 has had major issues. It's still sub 40k miles. I had an engine mount fail. It caused the engine/trans to fall. They are just now replacing the transmission because of this issue. And the cv axel has been replaced 2x in just a few thousand miles. All this has been warranty work or covered by my ins. Seems like a known issue the engine mounts.

I also had a high voltage issue which caused all the batteries to be replaced. Also they replaced the wiring harness inside the battery box and also a battery safety module. That was also covered under the battery warranty. Sadly that means almost 11 months total that the i8 has sat at the dealership either waiting for parts or being repaired. Not the record I was hoping for when I purchased my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 09:40 PM   #6
thesubmitter
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyb13662 View Post
My 2016 has had major issues. It's still sub 40k miles. I had an engine mount fail. It caused the engine/trans to fall. They are just now replacing the transmission because of this issue. And the cv axel has been replaced 2x in just a few thousand miles. All this has been warranty work or covered by my ins. Seems like a known issue the engine mounts.

I also had a high voltage issue which caused all the batteries to be replaced. Also they replaced the wiring harness inside the battery box and also a battery safety module. That was also covered under the battery warranty. Sadly that means almost 11 months total that the i8 has sat at the dealership either waiting for parts or being repaired. Not the record I was hoping for when I purchased my car.
Anything suspicious in the history of the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 03:19 PM   #7
tommyb13662
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

No. I think it's mostly bad luck. Engine mount failure is a semi known issue. I have read about quite a few. I'm wondering if perhaps it manufacturer defect in some. As they are designed to be lightweight so any defect makes them too weak.
Also the batteries get damaged sitting at their lowest voltage. When I bought the car (2021) it had barely 18k miles and sat a lot. These ev batteries don't like to sit at low voltage and can even brick to the point charging system can't recharge them if they sit discharged too long. I think mine is simply an issue of sitting is almost as detrimental as abuse. My particular car simply had 2 of the biggest/worst possible issues I have seen in these cars. Pretty confident that after these repairs I won't have serious future issues. It just sucks waiting.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 02:44 PM   #8
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep
Drives: I8 Coupe

I'd not worry about it. Definitely check the AC pump is not noisy (tempers the battery allso and very expensive fix).
I have a 2014 daily driver with 130Kkm on it, runs like a champ, nothing fails. Had the oil filter assembly fail on me killing the engine, but its a freak break that could happen in any car.
I drive it lots in the winter.. its not actually 4wd, but the low cg, wide stance and excellent traction control/esp means its great at it unless your completely knob at driving.
You can make it 4wd in sport mode, but its not really needed.
I'd get a roof rack with suction pads for ski's. If you want to do really deep snow requiring 4wd for safe running, it's too low anyway so walk away.

Im still on oe brake discs, as the regen takes 99% of braking.
Preheating the car is brilliant for winter, and even if you dont the electric heater is Quick.

Fantastic car in all respects, unless you want a balls out sports car or 4wd truck, it's neither.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 11:48 AM   #9
Javaq
Rep
Drives: BMW 4-series

Thank you all.

So, I decided and bought one! I should get the car next week. Late 2014 model (build) and 5/ 2015 first registration.
Car has about 100Kkm on it - the last owner has driven 25Kkm in one year.

Deal includes high voltage battery check in BMW service and I got one year / 25Kkm limited warranty, which should cover a lot of possibile technical issues. (hope no need for that though).
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 08:36 PM   #10
thesubmitter
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorgzx View Post
I'd not worry about it. Definitely check the AC pump is not noisy (tempers the battery allso and very expensive fix).
I have a 2014 daily driver with 130Kkm on it, runs like a champ, nothing fails. Had the oil filter assembly fail on me killing the engine, but its a freak break that could happen in any car.
I drive it lots in the winter.. its not actually 4wd, but the low cg, wide stance and excellent traction control/esp means its great at it unless your completely knob at driving.
You can make it 4wd in sport mode, but its not really needed.
I'd get a roof rack with suction pads for ski's. If you want to do really deep snow requiring 4wd for safe running, it's too low anyway so walk away.

Im still on oe brake discs, as the regen takes 99% of braking.
Preheating the car is brilliant for winter, and even if you dont the electric heater is Quick.

Fantastic car in all respects, unless you want a balls out sports car or 4wd truck, it's neither.
Unless you drive in electric only mode the car is awd
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 05:44 AM   #11
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep
Drives: I8 Coupe

allthou its been a while, i feel I remember the last time I drove it in full snow, with esp off it was 100% rwd ?!
Appreciate 0