lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matsarge
not try to handle it personally or just with friends (no offense to you lux). That's his best shot of coming out of this in the best shape possible.
thanks for the tip. I'll tell him that.

and no offense taken. He doesn't even know Im asking around for help. We just don't even know where to begin with this, since me, him and my other friends usually never get into serious happening like this one.

I guess a lawyer or attorney's office is a place to start.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2006, 07:41 PM   #24
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
thanks for the tip. I'll tell him that.

and no offense taken. He doesn't even know Im asking around for help. We just don't even know where to begin with this, since me, him and my other friends usually never get into serious happening like this one.

I guess a lawyer or attorney's office is a place to start.
Not sure if you've heard of this guy but it looks like a good place to start...
http://www.davidlesh.net/duii.htm

Good luck with everything!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2006, 08:11 PM   #25
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

wow, he was a DUI prosecutor, and now he's on the other side haha
Quote:
Not sure if you've heard of this guy but it looks like a good place to start...
http://www.davidlesh.net/duii.htm

Good luck with everything!
      10-16-2006, 09:13 PM   #26
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion
wow, he was a DUI prosecutor, and now he's on the other side haha
That's the kind of background I'd want on my team. It is pretty funny but also pretty common, private practice pays alot better.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2006, 09:41 PM   #27
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

haha, I know, when I got a huge speeding ticket on our provincial highway, I got an ex-copper to represent me, he knew all the prosecutors, the fee I paid to him was higher than the ticket itself, but I got reduced points, which's all that matters when it comes to insurance.

Quote:
That's the kind of background I'd want on my team. It is pretty funny but also pretty common, private practice pays alot better.
      10-17-2006, 04:24 PM   #28
dmontic71
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
Those of you recommending a lawyer,

is it to get the DUI off his record and prevent license suspension? I assume lawyer cost will be higher than the ticket($3700). Everyone around me is saying he'll need a lawyer just like you guys but I honestly don't know what the lawyer is for.

any explanation guys?
Forget about cost.. The goal is to minimize penalties & what goes on their record. I don't know what your laws are, but here in Florida there is a wide range of other things that come with the DUI.. Probation, possible jail time, community service, mandatory enrollment in AA, etc... The attorney will be able to properly represent their client to the state, and make sure their punishment isn't unfair relative to what others have received.

For those posting about how they hate drunk drivers, I am with you but that doesen't mean that he isn't entitled to due process and a fair trial..
      10-17-2006, 04:35 PM   #29
18LLC
Major General
Rep
Drives: e89

always hear the, "not me, but my friend" stories...
      10-17-2006, 10:57 PM   #30
T-MC-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

damn that sucks, we all make mistakes. The best thing he needs right now are friends and money. If you can find a way to have his back and slide him some money to get a proper lawyer that will be the best thing for him, that is if he needs to money. All people make mistakes and need a second chance. Anyone who thinks otherwise look inside yourselves and tell me you don't agree. Criminals are people who purposely hurt and steal, I am sure your friend didn't know any better at the time. Sure he needs to understand that drinking and driving don't mix, but I am sure now he does. Good luck to you and your friend.

"tell me what you don't like about yourself..."
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2006, 11:21 PM   #31
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Thanks for all the help guys. It looks like he won't hire any lawyer at this point.
He is more concerned about financial stability right now and just can't afford the lawyer at this point.

He did find out about "Diversion" class thing. Since this is his first offense and has relatively clean history with good records, he is eligible for that. DUI will be recorded as "Diversion" or something. Supposively not as bad as DUI, but he will be on some sort of "probation" for 1 year. If he stays clean for 1year, DUI is gone and "Diversion" instead. If he gets in trouble within that 1 year however, he is sh1t outta luck.

He is now stuck with a hyundai. I told him to install the nitrous kit he has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18LLC
always hear the, "not me, but my friend" stories...
Ever heard of "not me, but you are a moron" stories?
There are people out there with true friends helping them out.
In your case, I guess you wouldn't understand.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 12:19 AM   #32
myfirstbimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i

Charged under DUI? Tell your friend to get a good lawyer. Drunk driving is a serious offence both in Canada and the US.

35% Formula 1 Ceramic Tints, //M E-Brake handle, //M Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 07:25 AM   #33
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

Lawyer... and i hope this helps...

Call the court he has to show up to... well, you call them, and ask them for attorney's that are well known for representing DUI cases... The US has a sub-par judicial system--given that, the local courts have a preference for local attorneys, etc...

I got a speeding ticket doing 135+ in a 65 and plea bargained it down to doing 80 in a 65... figures...

As for the legal fees, i don't believe that they'll cost more than the actual ticket. Your friend's going to be slammed with other fines, but if he can plea bargain down to something else, it'll be much better for future insurance premiums... etc.

Shop around for lawyers... Shopping is key. I shopped around a lot for competent attorneys for all of my moving violations -- and all have been reduced to non-moving traffic violations...

Secondly, just know your limits (geared toward your friend since he got the DUI)... apparently, he did not. And i say, give him a break. Shit happens, and for him, shit hit the fan, but it's not the end of the world...

And from my recollection, most of the idiots that end up killing others get what they deserve anyway... I don't think we should rag on lux's friend b/c i'm sure as hell he learned his lesson... On another note, i know numerous kids from harvard, mit, hopkins, and those other schools that have at least once drove home under the influence... so give the guy a break...

Anyhow, best of luck to your friend...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 11:28 AM   #34
Scarabeo
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: E90

Sorry, no breaks for people who drive drunk..they kill innocent people..that is why Lux's friend is in so much trouble...my friend was not so lucky - he died....and you know what irritates me even more, all this talk/advice about finding the right lawyer to get a reduced/lighter sentence.
Appreciate 0