Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
Random lines
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-26-2021, 12:24 PM   #1
yco
i'm just saying
yco's Avatar
4449
Rep
2,560
Posts

Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Istanbul & Kyiv

iTrader: (0)

Question Sprint Race For Quali

Such a big concept change trial actually by going for 100km sprint race on Saturday for Sunday's GP.. quite a change after almost a decade..



https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...pmE5xK4sK.html
__________________
"Race car driving is like sex. All guys think they're good at it." Jay Leno
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2021, 12:48 PM   #2
Ngilbe36
Captain
Ngilbe36's Avatar
United_States
1601
Rep
880
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2019 F150
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
Such a big concept change trial actually by going for 100km sprint race on Saturday for Sunday's GP.. quite a change after almost a decade..



https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...pmE5xK4sK.html
I am interested to see how it goes.
Introducing it in just a few races at first is definitely better than chucking it into a season for every race.

I think it will make it more interesting, but I do think it has some very odd implications for the championship. It puts much more weight behind cars that can handle well in traffic and pass.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2021, 01:05 PM   #3
rcracin
Major
1052
Rep
1,178
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NYC

iTrader: (3)

That's two wheel to wheel races for the weekend and when most crashes tend to happen in lap 1, I wonder how this affects the cost cap.

Otherwise should be fun.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2021, 01:13 PM   #4
yco
i'm just saying
yco's Avatar
4449
Rep
2,560
Posts

Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Istanbul & Kyiv

iTrader: (0)

yes its more like a trial for next year but if it really comes into play, it ll mean that "pole position" or fastest driver over one lap concept will be gone.. even if its for quali it still be a race.. and 1/3 race distance is not that short..

quali format has a different flavour than GP day and its part of F1.. and its awesome.. im ready to change my mind about this but so far doesnt seem like that.. im not sure playing with F1's DNA is the solution to spice up the show.. lets see..
__________________
"Race car driving is like sex. All guys think they're good at it." Jay Leno
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 01:19 PM   #5
Ngilbe36
Captain
Ngilbe36's Avatar
United_States
1601
Rep
880
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2019 F150
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
yes its more like a trial for next year but if it really comes into play, it ll mean that "pole position" or fastest driver over one lap concept will be gone.. even if its for quali it still be a race.. and 1/3 race distance is not that short..

quali format has a different flavour than GP day and its part of F1.. and its awesome.. im ready to change my mind about this but so far doesnt seem like that.. im not sure playing with F1's DNA is the solution to spice up the show.. lets see..
I am with you, qualifying is no slouch in terms of excitement for me. I really like the current format and Q3 gets pretty wild sometimes! I have an open mind for now though.
Appreciate 1
yco4449.00
      04-26-2021, 01:38 PM   #6
3798j
Major
3798j's Avatar
4221
Rep
1,062
Posts

Drives: E86 3.0si
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Susquehanna Valley

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [4.50]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
.. im not sure playing with F1's DNA is the solution to spice up the show..
My thought too.
Appreciate 1
racerbruce3276.50
      04-26-2021, 01:51 PM   #7
FuzzyPeaches
Private First Class
FuzzyPeaches's Avatar
488
Rep
198
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
That's two wheel to wheel races for the weekend and when most crashes tend to happen in lap 1, I wonder how this affects the cost cap.

Otherwise should be fun.
Speaking from memory and not any actual facts, I believe that was the big talk the teams were having regarding this change. They said the cap needed to be increased to cover the extra racing.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2021, 02:23 PM   #8
racerbruce
Colonel
racerbruce's Avatar
3277
Rep
2,529
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4MR Imola Red
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (1)

We can see it now....the massive traffic jam(s) while the drivers attempt to team up with a known car that has the greatest trap speed that weekend....and follow that car to achieve the maximum slipstream....can't you see it now....drivers holding secret meetings to team up and create "the advantage".
__________________
Racerbruce
OZ Rims / Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks / Eibach Pro-Kit Springs / ZHP Control Arms / RE Diablo Exhaust / RPi Air Intake / BMC Air Filter / CDV / RE Trans Mounts / 3M Paint Protection / TMS CF Grilles / TK CF Mirrors / Skyer CF Spoiler / CF Antenna / M Pedals & Dead Pedal / CoCo Floor Mats / WeissLicht LED Rear Turn Signal Lamps / #748 of 3,042
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 03:18 PM   #9
Autobacs
Lieutenant
Autobacs's Avatar
466
Rep
402
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW X5M
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: WA state

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Very interesting for sure.
__________________
2011 BMW X5M
2010 Nissan GTR Elite Prime
2013 Lexus 450H
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 07:16 AM   #10
apexit4
Major
Poland
1189
Rep
1,095
Posts

Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPeaches View Post
Speaking from memory and not any actual facts, I believe that was the big talk the teams were having regarding this change. They said the cap needed to be increased to cover the extra racing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
That's two wheel to wheel races for the weekend and when most crashes tend to happen in lap 1, I wonder how this affects the cost cap.

Otherwise should be fun.
They've already decided on how to tackle that for the three races this season:

Quote:
RaceFans understands each team will receive a $75,000 payment from Formula 1 Management per Sprint Qualifying race to cover the cost of participation. On top of that, any team which suffers significant damage in one of the extra races will be permitted to spent up to $200,000 more over their budget cap limit per round.
https://www.racefans.net/2021/04/19/...lifying-races/


I'm of the same opinion as most F1 fans and against it, particularly against awarding points for the sprint race (3-2-1). If they must try it, I hope it goes the way of the elimination style format they tried in Australia in 2016 and gets dropped quickly.

Also, not cool on Liberty Media for pulling aside the F1 drivers and asking them to be less vocal on their opposition to the changes. A bit surprising that Domenicali of all people led the meeting as most people consider him a real racer and a perfect replacement for Chase Carey to lead F1

From another RaceFans article:

Quote:
The drivers largely fell into line following a meeting with Domenicali during pre-season testing in Bahrain, where they are believed to have been urged to rein in their criticism having panned a similar proposal last year. Pierre Gasly confirmed the sprint race proposal was discussed but said “I don’t want to go public.”
Appreciate 1
yco4449.00
      04-27-2021, 09:01 AM   #11
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
inTgr8r's Avatar
Canada
2032
Rep
11,418
Posts

Drives: M2 Comp
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (10)

1st lap carnage in the sprint is what concerns me.
There could be cars out of the Sunday race due to the qualli sprint.
Appreciate 1
racerbruce3276.50
      04-27-2021, 02:23 PM   #12
apexit4
Major
Poland
1189
Rep
1,095
Posts

Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
1st lap carnage in the sprint is what concerns me.
There could be cars out of the Sunday race due to the qualli sprint.
I dont think cars missing the race on Sunday will be an issue. Time has shown that all the teams are quite capable of rebuilding a car quickly, especially overnight.

I think the bigger issue will be the availability of spare parts (especially newer spec parts) for teams further down the grid and the implications of damage on the cost cap limit.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 03:00 PM   #13
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
inTgr8r's Avatar
Canada
2032
Rep
11,418
Posts

Drives: M2 Comp
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
I dont think cars missing the race on Sunday will be an issue. Time has shown that all the teams are quite capable of rebuilding a car quickly, especially overnight.

I think the bigger issue will be the availability of spare parts (especially newer spec parts) for teams further down the grid and the implications of damage on the cost cap limit.
I agree if its just an individual 'off'
I think the difference when racing is when you get muti-car incidents the damage can be much worse.

e.g BOT & RUS last race; if that happened in a sprint, I highly doubt that the Merc or Williams would make the race.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 04:29 PM   #14
dtla1
Colonel
dtla1's Avatar
814
Rep
2,241
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Silicon Valley

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I agree if its just an individual 'off'
I think the difference when racing is when you get muti-car incidents the damage can be much worse.

e.g BOT & RUS last race; if that happened in a sprint, I highly doubt that the Merc or Williams would make the race.
It's possible teams will take that into account and ask their drivers to calm it down a notch for the sprint quali race starts?

I wonder if tire choice for the sprint race might make things interesting. With 100km race, will a soft set of tyres last the whole race without a pit stop for new tires, or degrade enough such that a two stop soft/medium might catch them? I also wonder why they limited it to two compounds? Could there be a scenario where a hard tire can do the whole race but the other two compounds require a pit, and so the teams have to take that into account.

It's also interesting that the race tire compound will be a free choice in this setup.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST