BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

10-18-2023, 07:03 PM   #45
f82fanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoZ View Post
Dealer has the car since Tuesday. They replicated the issue on the mid-range tones/sounds being distorted. However, as of today, they said that they tested two other iXs and they pick up the same distortion. They said no service bulletin has been issued.
They offered to have me hear the stereo with an another iX to show me that they are all this way. I can't believe the Ix HK stereo is this bad?

I have a nice i4 loaner, with the standard stereo, and its way better without the distortion.
Dealer is trying to be nice, but if this is what the car sounds form the factory - that's very disappointing. I'm going to run this up the ladder and get the stereo professional tested - no way at 55-60% you starting getting mid range vocal distortion.
I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow when I meet with the shop foreman.
I don’t know what to tell you. I don’t hear mid range vocal distortion at 55-60% at all.

The system sounds great after improving the quality of the file system on Spotify.m and setting up the EQ.

But it might be the case that you actually have such an acute ear that you hear stuff differently than the rest of us. I’m no audiophile but can definitely hear distortion. Hopefully you can try it for yourself at the dealership and see if it’s the car or your discerning ear!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 07:09 PM   #46
darylp310
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Garage List
2023 BMW iX50  [0.00]
Sounds like it might be a real bug/glitch for certain people. Maybe a bad DSP chip or something like that? Both DemoZ BimmerNor are experiencing this strange HK audio problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 08:57 PM   #47
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoZ View Post
I'm a very happy new owner of a iX50. Car has exceeded all of my expectations, even the ride with 22' rims without the Air Suspension (which to me from my test drive of a 2023 vs. 2024 is negligible) is still excellent (and lightyears ahead of my prior 2022 Tesla Model S).

Only issue is the Harman Kardon 18 speaker stereo that comes with the Premium package (its 650 watts).
It has a high amount of distortion in the mid-ranges at medium or high levels. Bass is excellent but a really annoying/unsatisfying mid-frequency distortion that puts the stereo way below my lesser Audi A5 and (Tesla and other BMW 7 series that had the 'regular stereos' prior cars.

Has any one had any issues on their HK stereo. I guess I need to go the dealer on this on and prove that the stereo is not performing? Any suggestions on how to test or prove this?

thanks in advance
I felt similarly when I first got the car, I feel like it needs a break-in, as it sounds amazing to me right now. It’s so great that I find myself sitting in the parking lot, as I want to stay in the zone
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 1
darylp310981.50
      10-19-2023, 03:23 PM   #48
DemoZ
Rep

I met with the Shop Manager with my car (2024 Ix with HK sound), and then we went to an Ix (2022) with the HK system. In all honesty, the 2022 Ix with the HK had some distortion but typical. Mine was worse but he couldn't hear it. (When my Salesperson is back next week, I can also run it back to back with a 2024 model Ix with HK.

He did acknowledge that he can't be certain they ran all of the tests, but a BMW field tech is scheduled to be there in the next 1-2 weeks and will meet with me and review the car himself to further review.
The Service Manager was helpful, but acknowledged other than running the computer code/fault test - they can only pick up what they can hear. He said until they can ascertain the problem, he wouldn't even know what to replace.

I'll await for the Field Tech's review, and if unsuccessful, will take it to my audio installer (who does my boat and other toys) to professionally assess it.
Unfortunate for an otherwise perfect car.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 08:01 PM   #49
darylp310
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX50  [0.00]
DemoZ any update from your side?

I’ve discovered a small distortion that happens in the 300hz range. Seems like the rear tweeters might need their cross over point adjusted. On songs where there is a lot of signal in the 300hz range you can hear the rear tweeters distorting a bit. This only happens when I’m at the 70% volume level or louder.

Luckily, by adjusting the EQ a bit you can get rid of it. I turned down the 100hz band by two clicks and the 200hz band by four clicks. This roughly approximates bringing down the 300hz band by a few decibels.

Anyways after making this change I can listen to any song at near maximum value without hearing any distortion.

My guess is that there is a software bug in the cross over point. It seems to be accentuated when I max out the Surround Intensity (my hypothesis is this is because more signal is sent to the rear speakers in this mode.)

Hope this helps anyone who might be having this same experience.

P.S. I stand by my opinion that the HK system provides a more faithful audio reproduction than the BW system. With Bowers & Wilkins, yes, indeed it tickles my stomach to have so much bass, but it’s not realistic compared to the more natural sounding Harman Kardon system.
Attached Images

Last edited by darylp310; 10-29-2023 at 11:22 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-30-2023, 10:32 PM   #50
DemoZ
Rep

I have an appointment with the BMW regional field tech on Wednesday to demonstrate the problem. The distortion is like yours but worse, with the 100hz and 200hz being reduced by 5-6 clicks. Then the system sounds great, but once I raise the 100hz and 200hz to 'reset' equal - the distortion above 65% is unbearable. I'll have more to report by Thursday.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 04:38 PM   #51
DemoZ
Rep

Good news. The regional bmw field tech diagnosed a bad speaker and they agreed to order and replace it and retest.
I had shown them the EQ settings to avoid distortion and once you put them back n thr middle - it was very apparent

Hopefully this fix solved it next week
Appreciate 2
darylp310981.50
bmwix1182.00
      11-01-2023, 04:47 PM   #52
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Glad you are on the way to get it resolved. The HK is awesome when combined with the boat shape equaliser setting.
On YouTube music with audio quality as high on mobile data and WiFi a song such as this literally makes the seats shake.
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=32...&feature=share
Appreciate 2
darylp310981.50
bmwix1182.00
      12-12-2023, 09:22 AM   #53
PTR-iX
Registered
Rep
Drives: iX50

Try playing Metallica - Master of Puppets at 60% on a Harman-Kardon. I have the same complaints about this Harman Kardon system in my BMWiX50. I'm curious about your experiences playing this track.

From less than 60% you can clearly hear the distortion from the speakers in the passenger doors.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 09:58 AM   #54
darylp310
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTR-iX View Post
Try playing Metallica - Master of Puppets at 60% on a Harman-Kardon. I have the same complaints about this Harman Kardon system in my BMWiX50. I'm curious about your experiences playing this track.

From less than 60% you can clearly hear the distortion from the speakers in the passenger doors.
This is a good point! This album is quite unusual and tends to overdrive the speakers in the iX. BTW, this problem occurs with this album even with the Bowers and Wilkins speakers in the iX M60! If you try this EQ setting I mentioned here I think it might help. But that entire Metallica album is mastered in a strange way that even causes distortion in my home KRK Studios Monitors.

My hypothesis is that they added saturation so it would sound really "thick" on Airpods and headphones, but it causes small speakers to overdrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 11:16 AM   #55
DemoZ
Rep

Now they claim the system is within spec and that they all sound the same. The BMW salesguy is a close person friend so he's going to let me try the stereo on a few other iX's with HK and hear for myself. Still working through this - but for now, I have a U shaped equalizer setting to make it tolerable.
Appreciate 1
PTR-iX0.00
      12-15-2023, 12:49 AM   #56
60diablo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Wow. I can't believe I just found this thread. I just picked up my 2024 ix50 yesterday afternoon with the HK. On the way home from dealer I started to listen to music and noticed right away as soon going over 50 percent volume something was very wrong. The distortion is very noticeable.
I just traded in a 2022 X5 45e with the HK that absolutely rocked. I was always incredibly happy with the sound of that car.

There is something definitely wrong with this HK sound system. Maybe not everyone car has this problem. But it's obvious some of us have a problem.

I'll keep following this thread. I called my dealer this morning and told my sales person I had blown speakers before I found this thread.

I have a feeling they are also not going to do anything about it till enough of us get after them. The car so far is awesome but this HK sterio is unacceptable to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 06:24 AM   #57
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
I turned up the volume in mine( manufactured march 22) to 70% and listened to a range of songs. This is the max my ears could take. No distortion. There must be an issue. Cross reference same song same source in your IX with another user with IX HK who doesn't have problems.
should consider network locally and do this.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 12:13 AM   #58
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
HK here too and I have zero complaints. The HK setup in the IX is on par or even ahead of the B&O system I had in my X5. Zero issues with the midrange and no distortion. I personally believe this to be the best HK setup ever fitted in a BMW.

It also puts the “premium” Burmester system in the EQS SUV to shame (in a big way).
B&O in a BMW?😜
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 08:32 AM   #59
60diablo
United_States
Rep

Look I’m not a young guy. In my 50s and been incredibly fortunate to have and own 100k plus cars which my my XI build also hit.

I’m sure most of the HK in your cars sound amazing. Like I said. The HK in the 2022 X5 45E I just traded was absolutely amazing. Better than my 2017 Autobiography which I still own.

My IX I just picked up has definitely a problem. Yesterday. I had to run some errand by myself (no wife in the car 😁. Omg… the sound is awful. And I have the tracks that will show anyone something is incredibly wrong.

Chris Cornell (Nothing Compares to you) live 2015. At over 55 percent his voice starts cracking. If you know anything about this recording. This man’s voice does not crack!!

Another track that actually even worse is
Nirvana. (Somthing in the way) Nevermind album. Omg…. Absolute garbage coming out of those speakers.
I have BMW dead to rights if I play both these tracks.

+ believe me. Everything I play, I can tell there is a problem.

Once again … I just came out of an 2022 X5 with incredible sound with the HK

If anyone in Arizona is having or not having this problem. Pm me if you want to get together and compare.

Or if you are having this same problem. Please let me know if you have found a solution.
Appreciate 1
DemoZ16.00
      12-17-2023, 01:33 PM   #60
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60diablo View Post
Look I’m not a young guy. In my 50s and been incredibly fortunate to have and own 100k plus cars which my my XI build also hit.

I’m sure most of the HK in your cars sound amazing. Like I said. The HK in the 2022 X5 45E I just traded was absolutely amazing. Better than my 2017 Autobiography which I still own.

My IX I just picked up has definitely a problem. Yesterday. I had to run some errand by myself (no wife in the car 😁. Omg… the sound is awful. And I have the tracks that will show anyone something is incredibly wrong.

Chris Cornell (Nothing Compares to you) live 2015. At over 55 percent his voice starts cracking. If you know anything about this recording. This man’s voice does not crack!!

Another track that actually even worse is
Nirvana. (Somthing in the way) Nevermind album. Omg…. Absolute garbage coming out of those speakers.
I have BMW dead to rights if I play both these tracks.

+ believe me. Everything I play, I can tell there is a problem.

Once again … I just came out of an 2022 X5 with incredible sound with the HK

If anyone in Arizona is having or not having this problem. Pm me if you want to get together and compare.

Or if you are having this same problem. Please let me know if you have found a solution.
Listened to the Chris Cornell track this morning at probably 75% volume and it was crystal clear.
      12-17-2023, 05:22 PM   #61
BMWEVGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Audi Q7 PP

Guys I keep going back n forth whether to get iX with Bowers and Wilkins or stick to HK system.

For those who have BW in their personal vehicle which mode (Concert, Stage or Studio) you keep it in.

Any one care to share their sound settings on 9 band equalizer. I would check it out on iX M60 or iX 50 locally.

But for my car it will have to be custom order.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 02:15 AM   #62
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWEVGuy View Post
Guys I keep going back n forth whether to get iX with Bowers and Wilkins or stick to HK system.

For those who have BW in their personal vehicle which mode (Concert, Stage or Studio) you keep it in.

Any one care to share their sound settings on 9 band equalizer. I would check it out on iX M60 or iX 50 locally.

I just saw a post on my facebook group today that a BW customer is also experiencing terrible distortion at moderate volume.
      12-19-2023, 11:23 AM   #63
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWEVGuy View Post

I have the B&W and love it! The seat shakers work like a mofo to convey the feeling of being there. I don't know which mode I use, but it's the one with the most enveloping soundstage (concert or stage, not studio). I also use a V-shape EQ curve.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 01:25 PM   #64
MrMarioG
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

Same Problem over here in Germany with my iX on Harman Kardon. There are several people experiencing the sound problems even on B&W Systems.
BMW is working on this issue, should be solved via Software Update soon.

Here are my songs, in which I farely hear the sound problems:

- Billie Eillish - What was I made for
- Ariana Grand - 7 Rings
- Zucchero - Dune Mosse
- Metallica - Nothing else Matters
darylp310981.50
DemoZ16.00
      12-20-2023, 10:29 PM   #65
DemoZ
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarioG View Post
Same Problem over here in Germany with my iX on Harman Kardon. There are several people experiencing the sound problems even on B&W Systems.
BMW is working on this issue, should be solved via Software Update soon.

Here are my songs, in which I farely hear the sound problems:

- Billie Eillish - What was I made for
- Ariana Grand - 7 Rings
- Zucchero - Dune Mosse
- Metallica - Nothing else Matters
This is encouraging news as I'm still battling with BMW on this issue. The distortion is in that mid range on certain sounds/songs at 55% or more.
I'm hoping that software update fixes it, although its disappointing that the regional tech claimed that's how they all side -which is completely untrue.

Please keep us posted and I'll keep pushing BMW with another demonstration between my 2024 iX and the ones on the lot (i suspect that many other 2024's are having this issue)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 11:09 PM   #66
60diablo
United_States
Rep

I met with a Genius tech today at my dealership. I had a couple other questions with some other features.

After we were done. I asked him if he had heard anything about what is going on with the audio system. He told me no and I believe him.

I told him what was going on and that other people are experiencing the same problem. He told me he was an audio file and to show him what I was talking about.

Well.... His mouth dropped when I payed the first track. He noticed the midrange completely struggle (understatement). Played a couple other tracks. He could not believe it and told me BMW would have to correct this. He made some adjustment with the EQ. Basically the V curve, which did make a difference but if you push over 70% volume it comes back.

He said he was going to investigate further on this. I'll touch base with him after the new year. I realize everyone is busy and so am I.

I'm glad to have read on this thread that most likely it might be fixed by a software update. I sure hope so. I honestly really like this car. I giggle like a little kid when I drop the hammer.

For those of us who have this problem. We have to keep on BMW.
I am optimistic they will correct this. Like I said in a previous post. I have them dead to rights. The sound is awful.
Appreciate 3
DemoZ16.00
darylp310981.50
KRS_SN13714.50