BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The Sports Lounge

06-04-2016, 06:49 PM   #1
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Curry and James

Curry and James

Each have their loves and haters. As fans, we are lucky to see them play against each other. We will look back on this someday and tell our kids and grandkids that we saw these two play. Its a team sport and both teams are full of talent, but these two guys will most likely be what we remember years from now.

These guys are best on the planet at what they do. Here's to a great series. I'm for GS, but the Cavs are not going to lay down.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 06:59 PM   #2
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

I think the OKC series was the better drama.. this series is less so.. the WCF was essentially the championship.. too bad OKC couldnt win 1 of the last 3
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2016, 02:27 AM   #3
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

LeBron is the self proclaimed King. Gives me pleasure to watch him lose again. Jordan never lost like this in the finals. Certainly not year after year. Where was LeBrick tonight? What's the excuse going to be this year LeBrick?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 03:35 AM   #4
tmspec
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Goes to show what good defense can to both these "superstars". The league is plagued with bad defenses and these guys are brought up in best ever conversations. Lebron has no real position, bad jumpshot and no post moves. Curry is good but cannot create his own against tough defenses.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmspec View Post
Goes to show what good defense can to both these "superstars". The league is plagued with bad defenses and these guys are brought up in best ever conversations. Lebron has no real position, bad jumpshot and no post moves. Curry is good but cannot create his own against tough defenses.
So you are saying that Curry is only good because all the defenses in the league are so bad they let him be good? He averaged over 30 points per game this year. He won MVP two times in a row. He is on his way to 2 rings in a row. Last night he scored 18 points in 25 minutes and shot 7-11 2 pointers for 63% and 4-8 3 pointers for 50%, with 9 assists. He also did his share to help completely clog the Cavs offense. What else would you like Curry to do before you take his superstar status out of quotes. We are witnessing real time a player we will be telling our kids and grandkids about as being among the best players of all time. I'd never say he was the greatest since there are several amazing superstars that went before him. I would say that Curry is among the greatest to play right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 10:40 AM   #6
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

So far, this is the biggest snooze fest finals matchup.

GS may as well start making room in their trophy case
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 11:11 AM   #7
tmspec
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
So you are saying that Curry is only good because all the defenses in the league are so bad they let him be good? He averaged over 30 points per game this year. He won MVP two times in a row. He is on his way to 2 rings in a row. Last night he scored 18 points in 25 minutes and shot 7-11 2 pointers for 63% and 4-8 3 pointers for 50%, with 9 assists. He also did his share to help completely clog the Cavs offense. What else would you like Curry to do before you take his superstar status out of quotes. We are witnessing real time a player we will be telling our kids and grandkids about as being among the best players of all time. I'd never say he was the greatest since there are several amazing superstars that went before him. I would say that Curry is among the greatest to play right now.
I agree with that whole heartily, he is one of the best to play right now and I love his game. He is smart, knows how to move without the play and plays off others with great skill. It is impossible to know how he would do against say Mike and Pippen who were all world defensive stoppers.

With regards to defense (http://espn.go.com/nba/history/awards/_/id/49) and top 10 players of all time I don't see it. Its one thing to be a great shooter and avg 30 in regular season. Against this CAVs team which is an defensive liability even Farmer's would not insure, he should be finals MVP and avg 30 every night.

http://www.nba.com/history/finals/gr...formances.html

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012...formances-no-1

http://www.basketball-reference.com/..._career_p.html

You had to take a point for all time greats would you choose curry over magic/oscar/Isaiah/lebron whom I would put at point.

Lebron/Jordan/larry/duncan/karim
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 11:50 AM   #8
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I agree with that whole heartily, he is one of the best to play right now and I love his game. He is smart, knows how to move without the play and plays off others with great skill. It is impossible to know how he would do against say Mike and Pippen who were all world defensive stoppers.

With regards to defense (http://espn.go.com/nba/history/awards/_/id/49) and top 10 players of all time I don't see it. Its one thing to be a great shooter and avg 30 in regular season. Against this CAVs team which is an defensive liability even Farmer's would not insure, he should be finals MVP and avg 30 every night.

http://www.nba.com/history/finals/gr...formances.html

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012...formances-no-1

http://www.basketball-reference.com/..._career_p.html

You had to take a point for all time greats would you choose curry over magic/oscar/Isaiah/lebron whom I would put at point.

Lebron/Jordan/larry/duncan/karim

Thanks for agreeing. But, I'm confused about your comment on defense. In your original post you were talking about lack of defense against Curry's offense. In this post, you talk about Curry on defense. Now, are you saying he is not a great defender? As a guard, his rebound and block stats are not great, but he happens to be number 1 in the nba this season in steals. I think the notion that Curry is not good on defense is myth.
http://www.knbr.com/2016/03/29/a-bre...good-defender/
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 12:31 PM   #9
tmspec
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Thanks for agreeing. But, I'm confused about your comment on defense. In your original post you were talking about lack of defense against Curry's offense. In this post, you talk about Curry on defense. Now, are you saying he is not a great defender? As a guard, his rebound and block stats are not great, but he happens to be number 1 in the nba this season in steals. I think the notion that Curry is not good on defense is myth.
http://www.knbr.com/2016/03/29/a-bre...good-defender/
Curry is a lot better version of AI/Miller/Allen, he knows the game and has great handle and is a very smart player, he is smarter than most people give him credit. Which is why you hear a lot of ex-players say yea he is only great shooter. The defense in this league along with his very good teammates allow him to avg 30/game in regular season. He is not a killer on his OWN, he cannot handle Lebron's defense for full game.

As for his own defense, you cannot rely on curry to guard lebron or westbrook for that matter (http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/05/step...rriors-thunder). Not saying westbrook is better than Curry, he is not, but great stealing ability does not put him in same conversation as Gary Payton. Can you imagine curry trying to defend jordan/kobe/wade/magic, not for a minute. He needs to have great finals performances and MVPs before getting any where near the top 10 of all time.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 01:12 PM   #10
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Curry is a lot better version of AI/Miller/Allen, he knows the game and has great handle and is a very smart player, he is smarter than most people give him credit. Which is why you hear a lot of ex-players say yea he is only great shooter. The defense in this league along with his very good teammates allow him to avg 30/game in regular season. He is not a killer on his OWN, he cannot handle Lebron's defense for full game.

As for his own defense, you cannot rely on curry to guard lebron or westbrook for that matter (http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/05/step...rriors-thunder). Not saying westbrook is better than Curry, he is not, but great stealing ability does not put him in same conversation as Gary Payton. Can you imagine curry trying to defend jordan/kobe/wade/magic, not for a minute. He needs to have great finals performances and MVPs before getting any where near the top 10 of all time.

You may be right about Curry defending that list of players, but what a list.

Time will tell where he stands among the greats.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #11
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Curry has been off since he injured his knee. Shooting below his season averages, but still better than most guys in the league. If he continued to play all game last night, he would have put up 30+ no problem. Only 11 shots when he averages over 20/game. Ive got a feeling he will still have a couple great games this series, as long as the Cavs can keep games close in the 4th.

As for defending Westbrook, Westbrook only shot 32% while Curry was defending him and 44% vs everyone else. He shot 45% on the season as well so I'd say Curry had an impact on him.

Is Curry the best ever? No, you cant say that. Its only been 2 seasons at this elite level of play. But if he keeps it up and has many more seasons of this play, you could definitely make a strong argument that he should be in the conversation.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #12
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw

OKC vs. Warriors was far more interesting.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 01:56 PM   #13
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
Curry has been off since he injured his knee. Shooting below his season averages, but still better than most guys in the league. If he continued to play all game last night, he would have put up 30+ no problem. Only 11 shots when he averages over 20/game. Ive got a feeling he will still have a couple great games this series, as long as the Cavs can keep games close in the 4th.

As for defending Westbrook, Westbrook only shot 32% while Curry was defending him and 44% vs everyone else. He shot 45% on the season as well so I'd say Curry had an impact on him.

Is Curry the best ever? No, you cant say that. Its only been 2 seasons at this elite level of play. But if he keeps it up and has many more seasons of this play, you could definitely make a strong argument that he should be in the conversation.
^This!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 01:57 AM   #14
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep

2 rings > 1 ring
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 07:42 AM   #15
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
2 rings > 1 ring
Curry sure looks like he's on his way to a 2nd ring...

100% finals winning percentage > 33%
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 01:55 AM   #16
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep

he makes it look so easy.

Which brings us to something called Beat the Ogre. It’s a variation on an old basketball drill called Beat the Pro, which Kerr and Fraser used to play at Arizona. The game is simple: Shoot a series of shots from wherever you like—threes, midrange, wherever. Every make is one point. Every miss is negative two. Reach seven before you hit negative seven and you beat the pro (so named because you can envision playing “against” an imaginary opponent like, say, Steph Curry). As this reporter can attest, it’s a challenging and addictive game, especially if you extend the range.

Because Curry is Curry, however, Fraser had to up the ante. So in Beat the Ogre—the name derives from a joking nickname for the “meathead” Warriors strength and conditioning staff—Curry takes NBA threes on the move, plays to 21 and every miss counts for negative four, rather than two. To succeed, Curry has to be numbingly accurate: Make 10 in a row but miss two and he’s only at +2. How does he fare? “On average he does it on the second try,” says U’Ren
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 11:06 AM   #17
csu87
Banned
Rep

Not sure of the validity of this but if true, Lebron should never be discussed as one of the Greats. The Greats were great because of mental toughess along with their physical toughness and Lebron is not mentally tough.

"According to a source familiar with the spat between LeBron James and Draymond Green, the trigger word was DG calling James a "b*tch""
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 11:11 AM   #18
BuzzE46
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3 E46

not one of the great's? mental toughness? you clearly don't know basketball. not making excuses but the warriors have depth and a better team. that's why they are wining this series. LeBron is the MVP bc he carries his cavs. Still is the best player in the league for the past 10 years. chill. I doubt Jordan and magic would be able to win if they were on THIS CAVS team as well.... have u seen kevin love? garabge....
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #19
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzE46 View Post
not one of the great's? mental toughness? you clearly don't know basketball. not making excuses but the warriors have depth and a better team. that's why they are wining this series. LeBron is the MVP bc he carries his cavs. Still is the best player in the league for the past 10 years. chill. I doubt Jordan and magic would be able to win if they were on THIS CAVS team as well.... have u seen kevin love? garabge....
no where did I say he doesnt have amazing athletic ability and skills, just that he is no where near the level of mental toughness that the guys like Jordan, and Kobe, and Magic, Etc. had.

You cant be the greatest and only have one aspect of the game down.

And this isnt only with reference to this series, he hasnt had the mental toughness required to be the greatest for years now. Jordan would have never let someone call him a bitch without destroying him during the game.

Maybe you dont watch basketball?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #20
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
no where did I say he doesnt have amazing athletic ability and skills, just that he is no where near the level of mental toughness that the guys like Jordan, and Kobe, and Magic, Etc. had.

You cant be the greatest and only have one aspect of the game down.

And this isnt only with reference to this series, he hasnt had the mental toughness required to be the greatest for years now. Jordan would have never let someone call him a bitch without destroying him during the game.

Maybe you dont watch basketball?

he just destroyed golden state. while at the same time irving had 41.

maybe you missed the game.
Appreciate 2
      06-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #21
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
he just destroyed golden state. while at the same time irving had 41.

maybe you missed the game.
Yeah he had one great game, after i made the comment. Maybe you don't understand how time works? Congrats, he took over 1 game out of the 5 played so far. Although i don't expect much from people like you.

We'll see how he does with Green back in the lineup though. Want to bet on how many more 40+pt games he has this series?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 02:23 PM   #22
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

betcha draymond is going to do something stupid and get in trouble again game 6

but hard for swish bros not to go off for two games
Appreciate 0