BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

11-28-2023, 07:52 PM   #1
Sgtklein
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW I8

New first time BMW owner. Probably dumb question but I don't know what I don't know

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello all and thank you for welcoming into your group. I've spent months reading through all these great post and learning all I can. But I still have questions that I could use some easy assistance with.
I just bought a 2017 Protonic Frozen Black, getting shipped out of Cali to Ohio. I have several other fun cars; Lotus Elise, Stinger GT2 and a, very familiar in all car mechanics and electronics but I know BMW is it's own unique girl with her own special controls and oddities.

Question for the group

What operating system is in a 2017 and can I upgrade it to the latest bmw version?
Do all I8 have all the mood color lighting options? If not can I add it?
Should I get the BMW app? What does it do fully and what does it cost to us?
What add ons (bimmer tech or similar) should I get to make the car the most modern and as capable as possible?
Anyone do anything special to the flat paint to protect it? Does it need protection, does it scratch easy?
Anything I need to know about using the BMW informant system? Any tips tricks on how to use and what I should do with it?
What's the best way to get exhaust to sound better outside? Is maxexhaust the main option and if so do I just need the Maserati amp?
Anything I need to watch out for while driving that should alarm me if pops up?

Guess anything anyone want to chime in on about what I should do shouldn't do and or how to do those things.

Super excited to be joining this rare special team. Looking forward to sharing my knowledge and support with you all once I get a little more knowledgeable on these beautiful cars.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 01:31 PM   #2
thesubmitter
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 BMW i8 Acura MDX

Welcome!

BMW App is free - lets u lock and unlock, see a bunch of status

The best add-on for the car are wider tires 245 in the front 275 in the back seems to be the wides you can go.

In sport mode, on hwy for better efficiency you need to go to Manual Mode and shift up to 6th gear for cruising otherwise the car stays in 5th.

LCI (2019+) have CarPlay and a bigger battery.

I would also advise you to immediately check if the coolant system has been replaced and if it hasn't, replace it.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 02:48 AM   #3
billy.gif
Private
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtklein View Post
Hello all and thank you for welcoming into your group. I've spent months reading through all these great post and learning all I can. But I still have questions that I could use some easy assistance with.
I just bought a 2017 Protonic Frozen Black, getting shipped out of Cali to Ohio. I have several other fun cars; Lotus Elise, Stinger GT2 and a, very familiar in all car mechanics and electronics but I know BMW is it's own unique girl with her own special controls and oddities.

Question for the group

What operating system is in a 2017 and can I upgrade it to the latest bmw version?

Do all I8 have all the mood color lighting options? If not can I add it?

Should I get the BMW app? What does it do fully and what does it cost to us?

What add ons (bimmer tech or similar) should I get to make the car the most modern and as capable as possible?

Anyone do anything special to the flat paint to protect it? Does it need protection, does it scratch easy?

Anything I need to know about using the BMW informant system? Any tips tricks on how to use and what I should do with it?

What's the best way to get exhaust to sound better outside? Is maxexhaust the main option and if so do I just need the Maserati amp?

Anything I need to watch out for while driving that should alarm me if pops up?

Guess anything anyone want to chime in on about what I should do shouldn't do and or how to do those things.

Super excited to be joining this rare special team. Looking forward to sharing my knowledge and support with you all once I get a little more knowledgeable on these beautiful cars.
Thanks
1. Operating system / informant system is ancient BMW iDrive 3, kind of crap in 2023. You can't upgrade it via "flashing" of coding. IF you would have opted the "LCI"-model, 2018 -> it would have had much better iDrive with touch screen and also much bigger batterypack.

BUT the informant system does have 20Gb hard drive for music, dunno if this was option or not at the US? It came with Harman/Kardon audio.

2. Should have, at least in EU. But only with 3 different colour. I don't know can more unlocked via coding.

3. BMW App is free but some of the features may need "subscription", it depends how the 1st owner opted some of the "remote connection" stuff I believe. BMW sells different kind of BMW Connected -subscriptions for RTTI, map updates etc.

Most usable for BMW App is the "remote heating / cooling" function. It also locates your car and if you lose your keys or whatever, you can lock / unlock the car via app.

4. Some say that the windshield does crack rather easily, better to add it to the insurance policy. Also the shocks have a rubber "collar" which will fail letting dirt and crap into the shocks -> they will begin to leak -> rather $$$ job.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 06:52 AM   #4
avdept
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesubmitter View Post
Welcome!

BMW App is free - lets u lock and unlock, see a bunch of status

The best add-on for the car are wider tires 245 in the front 275 in the back seems to be the wides you can go.

In sport mode, on hwy for better efficiency you need to go to Manual Mode and shift up to 6th gear for cruising otherwise the car stays in 5th.

LCI (2019+) have CarPlay and a bigger battery.

I would also advise you to immediately check if the coolant system has been replaced and if it hasn't, replace it.
Could you clarify about coolant system? What's wrong with it?
Also on 245mm width tires, what height? 35 or 40?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 09:11 AM   #5
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdept View Post
Could you clarify about coolant system? What's wrong with it?
Also on 245mm width tires, what height? 35 or 40?
There is nothing wrong with the coolant system. Just watch for leaks like any other car.

The best tire option which I believe improves the look is 245/40x20 on the front and 275/35x20 rear. Stock wheels, no spacers. Everything clears just fine.

Last edited by Coastali8; 12-14-2023 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0