Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

09-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #177
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopealle View Post
went on sweet ride today. weather was perfect. a nice 89degrees and clear roads. and i met up with a rider on the street. biking always brings new friends a nice people. and he told me about a website for accessories also. i will share the ones i know. im sure you guys know them already though.

nashbar.com (thats the one he shared)
jensonusa.com
performancebike.com

thats all i know. if you could post what you know that would be awesome.
Just placed an order with a new (to me) vendor today, if it works out I will post a link.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #178
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS32 View Post
Can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive pair of shoes & pedals? I'm clipless right now but would like to get some clip-ins in the near future.
I use SPD stuff (with some SIDI MTB shoes *gasp*)... Semi frowned upon in the road world because of hot-spotting in shoes, etc. But I'm not riding 200 miles at a time, so I don't have any issues with that... plus it allows me to wear shoes I can actually walk in vs. having a cleat sticking a half inch out of the sole.

Lots of inexpensive shoes to use with spd. The soles aren't giong to be super-stiff with some (like the rubber soled sandles, etc. ) but you can certainly find some good MTB shoes with stiff soles that are compaitible.

I'll probobly end up going to a "toe-clip" cleat at some point when my riding gets to that point, but for right now, what I have suits me fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #179
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
nashbar.com (thats the one he shared)
jensonusa.com
performancebike.com
Your options are almost limitless. I've built about a dozen bike from the frame up, so I search lots of sites frequently. One thing to note, the UK sites are very cheap on tires and components, as they don't charge VAT on orders posted to the US, and they tend to offer free shipping on orders over a small amount.

UK Sites
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/
http://www.totalcycling.com/
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/

US Sites
http://www.cambriabike.com/
http://www.universalcycling.com/
http://www.excelsports.com/
http://www.speedgoat.com/
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/
http://www.biketiresdirect.com/

Just a sampling, but that should keep you busy.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #180
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
I use SPD stuff (with some SIDI MTB shoes *gasp*)... Semi frowned upon in the road world because of hot-spotting in shoes, etc. But I'm not riding 200 miles at a time, so I don't have any issues with that... plus it allows me to wear shoes I can actually walk in vs. having a cleat sticking a half inch out of the sole.

Lots of inexpensive shoes to use with spd. The soles aren't giong to be super-stiff with some (like the rubber soled sandles, etc. ) but you can certainly find some good MTB shoes with stiff soles that are compaitible.

I'll probobly end up going to a "toe-clip" cleat at some point when my riding gets to that point, but for right now, what I have suits me fine.
you are not alone. my brother gave me a pair of new-ish Sidi Dominator 5 MTB shoes to use with my road bike and i have crank bros eggbeater pedals to go with.

i've been considering going full road but then i see guys trying to walk in those things and it's just silly. i only have to walk about 100' to get out of my building but those big cleats just seem awkward. it's not like i even dismount while i'm riding like the cafe crowd does but i would still like to be able to get to my apartment without looking more douchey than i have to. also i've heard that the mechanical cleats like Speedplays are extremely sensitive to being walked on and require a lot of maintenance.

i have beaten the hell out of my SPD cleats, pedals, and shoes and they're still working like a charm

the benefit of the road shoes is a stiffer sole and usually a lighter shoe but since i'm riding for fitness i don't think it'll kill me to lose 3% of my power transfer to the pedals. has anyone made the switch before from SPD > road?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #181
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
oh, on a huge + note i got out this morning for my first ride in almost 2 months since i broke down my ride to the frame for repair. it came back looking like new from RR Velo and if you ever need a CF repair i highly recommend them.

last weekend was spent re-assembling the bike, running cables, and being pissed that the Jagwire cable kit i bought didn't include enough housing to run both front/rear der cables in between the ferrule points on my shifters and frame. i'm sure it would've worked just fine on a bike that uses externally routed cables but mine are internal and i just needed about a foot more than they included.

thus i had to take it in to my LBS and they installed some Dura Ace cable with a nice little in-line barrel adjuster for the front der. nice touch!

anyway, this morning it was humid as hell but i got an hour of riding in before work and it felt great! no jello legs or nothing but i'm willing to bet my ass is going to be a little sore after being out of the saddle for ~50 days.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #182
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
no jello legs or nothing but i'm willing to bet my ass is going to be a little sore after being out of the saddle for ~50 days.
You'll start feeling it in t-minus 2 hours when you hit that 4pm wall. LOL.

Good for you getting out though, it is still currently cloudy with a 70% chance "shitty" here in Chicago.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #183
Feyd
Major
Rep

On a side note though, I've nearly convinced myself that I should have a "foul weather" bike for rainy days... LOL.

Just can't decide if I want an aluminum cx bike with some all weather tires, or if I just want to go big and get a fat bike. I'd really like to have both, but that'll take a lot of convincing with the wife.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #184
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On a side note though, I've nearly convinced myself that I should have a "foul weather" bike for rainy days... LOL.

Just can't decide if I want an aluminum cx bike with some all weather tires, or if I just want to go big and get a fat bike. I'd really like to have both, but that'll take a lot of convincing with the wife.
You don't need anything special for riding in the rain. If you have a steel bike, just pull the seat tube after the ride, drain any water that got in and let it dry out before your next ride. You don't need special tires either, even fully slick road tires grip just fine in the wet, even in pouring rain, the pros use slicks in the rain, even at 40+mph descents. I wouldn't talk you out of a good cx bike though, they're a lot of fun, both on the road and off road.

As for pedals, if you're riding more than 40 or 50 miles, a stiff sole makes a big difference, and a low q-factor, the distance from your foot to the center of the pedal spindle, will feel more natural too. I run Speedplays, but any road pedal will work well, and mtb pedals and shoes will work fine for casual purposes, but are more prone to causing hot spots and other foot pain issues. Rigid carbon soles are priceless for power transfer, and I usually have mine off within seconds of getting home, I keep a pair of flip flops on the porch. If you live in an apartment, just get a $10 pair of flip flops and leave them under your car, or under a bush when you leave.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #185
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
You don't need anything special for riding in the rain. If you have a steel bike, just pull the seat tube after the ride, drain any water that got in and let it dry out before your next ride. You don't need special tires either, even fully slick road tires grip just fine in the wet, even in pouring rain, the pros use slicks in the rain, even at 40+mph descents. I wouldn't talk you out of a good cx bike though, they're a lot of fun, both on the road and off road.
Oh, I'm fully aware that I don't need anything special.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #186
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
there's that word again. it keeps coming up at my house
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #187
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh yeah, I clearly misread your first post. You actually do benefit from specialized rain equipment. May I suggest a Ridley X-Fire with a full Red cx build (except the cassette, just use a 1070) and some nice tubular Edge rims with Chris King R45 hubs and some TRP magnesium cantis?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #188
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

I gave up road riding a few years ago but I really want this. It's totally slick, and I've always wanted a one speed city cruiser...
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #189
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
I gave up road riding a few years ago but I really want this. It's totally slick, and I've always wanted a one speed city cruiser...
Yeah I love that one too.... just sucks that it's like 3 grand... LOL.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #190
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Oh yeah, I clearly misread your first post. You actually do benefit from specialized rain equipment. May I suggest a Ridley X-Fire with a full Red cx build (except the cassette, just use a 1070) and some nice tubular Edge rims with Chris King R45 hubs and some TRP magnesium cantis?
Haha... vicious cycle if my "beater bike" costs more than my "nice" bike.

If that happens I'll have to get my cost ratio (beater/nice) back where it needs to be. Maybe a Serotta custom job?? I think I can get one of those all done up in the low 12's.

-Josh
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #191
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I love that one too.... just sucks that it's like 3 grand... LOL.
I know. And, since I know there's a carbon version, I can't settle for the regular one

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #192
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe a Serotta custom job?? I think I can get one of those all done up in the low 12's.

-Josh
Why Serotta? There are lots of custom guys out there, many who put their own name on their product, and who will speak to you directly about what you want. I have nothing against the Serotta, Indy Fab, Seven, Lynskey, Moots and other "big" outfits, but know that I love my two DeSalvo's (steel 29er and ti roady) and the experience that went along with getting them made a lot more than what goes into the bigger builders. When I first considered custom, about a decade ago, Serotta was high on the list, but after looking into it further, I decided I want something a little more unique.

Nothing wrong with any of them, or even the big manufacturers. I don't really mean to single out Serotta, I've ridden with guys on them and they seem like nice bikes, and I'm sure you wouldn't be upset with one. Anyone riding a bike is a friend of mine. I'd just encourage you to look into all of the available builders if you are considering custom. Groovy and Roark are both pretty close to you, and Waterford, of Schwinn family fame is up the road in Wisconsin, just for a start.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #193
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

A quick question since I am a novice when it comes to brands, prices, etc. I have no problem working on a bike like many so I have no issues building a bike from scratch. My friend and I are contemplating slowly building nice bikes over time by looking for deals and while riding our current bikes.

The question is if this is reasonable and/or not uncommon? Or, is it a long shot and we would be better off just dropping thousands on a fresh bike? I am leaning to the former but again, l am unfamiliar with the biking enviorment.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #194
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

I like to build mine, but I usually lose patience and just go buy one. You will save a lot of cash waiting, but like everything else, tech will pass you buy. If you don't need the latest or greatest, you'll be fine.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #195
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Why Serotta? There are lots of custom guys out there, many who put their own name on their product, and who will speak to you directly about what you want.
Purely hypothetical... my 4 month old CR1 is PLENTY good enough for me right now. When I get to the place where I can drop 5 figures on a bike, there will be A LOT of research on it, trust me. Serotta just popped into my head because my LBS sells them and I remember seeing one on a stand with a 12k sticker on it while I was waiting in line for something..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #196
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
A quick question since I am a novice when it comes to brands, prices, etc. I have no problem working on a bike like many so I have no issues building a bike from scratch. My friend and I are contemplating slowly building nice bikes over time by looking for deals and while riding our current bikes.

The question is if this is reasonable and/or not uncommon? Or, is it a long shot and we would be better off just dropping thousands on a fresh bike? I am leaning to the former but again, l am unfamiliar with the biking enviorment.
Even when bargain shopping a full gruppo and wheels, etc., it's hard to beat the volume deals that the big manufacturers get on those things, so buying a complete bike is almost always going to be cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #197
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
well gentlemen im doing some shopping for some new equipment. It's more of birthday gifts to myself.

2 camelbak water bottles
Cateye Astrale 8 Computer
Nashbar Ventoux 2 Road Bike Pedal
Nashbar Comp II Road Shoe

tell me what you guys think. im not a hardcore rider so i wont be blowing hundreds on equipment just yet
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #198
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
well gentlemen im doing some shopping for some new equipment. It's more of birthday gifts to myself.

2 camelbak water bottles
Cateye Astrale 8 Computer
Nashbar Ventoux 2 Road Bike Pedal
Nashbar Comp II Road Shoe

tell me what you guys think. im not a hardcore rider so i wont be blowing hundreds on equipment just yet
Good choices...

I have a feeling though, it's ONLY the beginning.. LOL.
Appreciate 0