BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

01-17-2021, 05:27 PM   #1
MGRMLN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GT-R Black Edition

Connected Services

Hi all,

I've noticed that starting last week, my BMW Connected weather content, which I usually have displayed as my split screen, has stopped working. It says it can't connect to the cell phone network. Anyone else experiencing this?

Minsoo
Appreciate 1
ChiTownM1050.00
      01-18-2021, 01:41 AM   #2
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGRMLN View Post
Hi all,

I've noticed that starting last week, my BMW Connected weather content, which I usually have displayed as my split screen, has stopped working. It says it can't connect to the cell phone network. Anyone else experiencing this?

Minsoo
Not exactly like this. I also experienced that the weather and all other connected services didn't work as well as the voice navigation based on cloud search, etc. The car however had internet connectivity because I could remote control it via the app. In the connected options I was not logged in anymore and login didn't word.

As even a reset, etc. didn't help the car went into service for a couple hours. They did a hard reset and SW update and after that I could log in again in the car. That problem never occurred again. I guess it was a connection hickup between car and connected drive servers that needed a harder reboot than the one you can do yourself. I would still try that first.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 07:40 AM   #3
MGRMLN
Private
Rep

Thanks. I may have to figure out how to do a hard reboot.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 02:31 AM   #4
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGRMLN View Post
Thanks. I may have to figure out how to do a hard reboot.
Why not let BMW do it? You pay for connect service, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 08:06 PM   #5
jojo
Private
Rep
Drives: 1989 M3

Or maybe your subscription has ended.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 09:50 AM   #6
MGRMLN
Private
Rep

My subscription is good for another year. I need to call I guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 09:16 PM   #7
FLYIN'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, M550i, X545e

Discontinued 3g and Connected Drive

I just received this notice today!

Dear ——-

There are important ConnectedDrive service changes affecting your 2015 i8, Vehicle Identification Number ending in —-/.

Due to a phasing out of the 3G network by cellular carriers, ConnectedDrive services can no longer be supported starting February 2022 for your BMW. The decision to phase out 3G network technology was made at the discretion of the respective cellular carriers and lies beyond the control of BMW.

We want you to be able to enjoy ConnectedDrive services for as long as they are supported for your vehicle, so a complimentary Connected Package Professional or BMW Assist Safety Plan subscription will automatically be activated for your BMW until February 1, 2022. Your vehicle will receive all services within the Connected Package Professional or BMW Assist Safety Plan subscription that it is technically capable of receiving.

To ensure you receive the complimentary services, you will need to "Update Services" via iDrive, as outlined below. If after performing an "Update Services" you do not have the services available to you, please contact BMW Assist Customer Care at 1‑888‑333‑6118 or customercare@bmwassist.com.

We regret that ConnectedDrive services will no longer be supported as of February 2022 for your vehicle but hope that you enjoy the complimentary ConnectedDrive services in the meantime.

BMW ConnectedDrive

HOW TO UPDATE SERVICES

Depending on your vehicle's Model Year and Make, navigate to "BMW Assist", "ConnectedDrive" or "Apps" using your iDrive controller.

Under BMW Assist or ConnectedDrive:

Open "Options" (physical button surrounding your iDrive controller)

Click on "Update BMW Assist"
Under Apps:

Click on "All Apps"

Open "Options" (physical button surrounding your iDrive controller)

Click on "Update apps and services"
Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram
For more information, please visit www.bmwusa.com/ConnectedDrive. You can also visit the BMW ConnectedDrive Portal, your BMW Center, or call BMW Assist Customer Care at 1‑888‑333‑6118.

View our Privacy Policy | Unsubscribe

300 Chestnut Ridge Road, Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677

© 2021 BMW of North America, LLC.

The BMW name, model names, and logo are registered trademarks. Call 1‑800‑831‑1117 or go to www.bmwusa.com for more information.

View in Browser
'21 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Appreciate 1
ChiTownM1050.00
      03-31-2021, 06:35 AM   #8
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

Interesting attempt. Although my i8 Roadster isn't affected by this, I never bought a 3G or 4G modem. I checked. I only bought a service that requires a connection that has components that are sold as "lifetime". I don't see how BMW would get around having to upgrade the modem in the older cars, if they sold the connected service instead of the 3G modem like in my contract. Preowned is a different story.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 10:33 AM   #9
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Makes you wonder what years are affected. No connected services is an issue since it will render the APP remote functions inoperable, since the car cannot connect to the network if I understood the message right?!?! It is :
Appreciate 0