BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
Dark_Sub_Rosa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not sure

Experience with Insurance? Home/Auto

I am looking to switch up my policy when my 335i comes in and am looking at either Travelers or All State for my home & auto. Just seeing if anybody had any experience with either to give pros and cons. I am currently with Progressive and while their customer service is excellent their coverage prices are skyrocketing and I refuse to keep paying them. Thanks!

-jake
      06-14-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Progressive is one the most expensive insurers out there. Do you have Mercury or Wawanesa out there? Never had Travelers but Allstate has been around for years. Allstate insures my mom's home. Most companies give you a discount for multiple policies since you are looking for both auto/home. Try http://www.insweb.com too.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
Dark_Sub_Rosa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Honestly I haven't heard of Mercury or Wawanesa but then again I haven't shopped for insurance in 5 years, I just got fed up with Progressive when they gave me my quote for my 335 and started shopping around today. Thanks for the link!
      06-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #4
Dark_Sub_Rosa
Captain
United_States
Rep

ah... yeah Mercury and Wawanesa do not exist here in TN, I just looked.
      06-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

I have allstate via the web/1-800 number, not happy with the service. I'm going to look at moving my policies to an agent and see if it gets any better. State Farm is great, but they only take you if you have a sparkling clean driving record.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
Dark_Sub_Rosa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yeah I hate State Farm, I have dealt with them before when their clients hit me and it was an absolute nightmare.
      06-14-2008, 08:06 PM   #7
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Sub_Rosa View Post
Yeah I hate State Farm, I have dealt with them before when their clients hit me and it was an absolute nightmare.
Their awesome when their on your side. My fiance and I both have statefarm. Should be seeing some nice price drops since we're both turning 25, about to get married, have the multiple car line and just picked up home insurance. The agent told me to expect a 50-60% drop over the next 3 months

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Sub_Rosa View Post
lol that's why I liked them. They're great to their policy holders - not so great when you're on the other side.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 10:58 PM   #9
Solonng
Captain
Rep
Drives: Monacco Blue 335i coupe

www.esurance.com
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 12:05 AM   #10
Dark_Sub_Rosa
Captain
United_States
Rep

I think I'm going to go with All State, customer service was good on the phone today and quoted me a lot less than what I am paying now. I called AIG and got some ghetto sounding guy who could have given two shits less about helping.
      04-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
TunasBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: e92xi

STATE FARM is the WORST

I got in an accident which wasn't even my fault. State Farm is trying to put used parts on my 08 with 7K miles even though the difference is 1K. They want me to pay the 1K so they don't have to go after the other insurance company for the difference. This is the biggest heap of sh1t I have ever heard. I will never use these guys again. It is State Farm policy to use recycle parts if they are available.

I could understand if I hit the other two cars, but I didnt. The other driver is at fault and has claimed so, and they are afraid to go collect the extra 1K from them? I don't get it, but I've been on the phone with 3 different people hearing the same apologies and no action.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #12
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
my experience with insurance is that its a fucking rip-off. ALL of it.

i used to have Esurance on my old Jetta. Paid like $70/mo because the car was 7 year old and all paid off. Got my E92 and it went up to $109/mo. Fine. Renewed for another 6 months after that. No problems at all. Fast forward till December of last year. I get an email that i am up for renewal and that my new premium is $1788 for 6 months! wtf?

Apparently some genius went and for no apparent reason changed my car code from regular, to high performance. Plus i had a minor fender-bender in November. Insurance paid $600 (+$500 my deductible) to fix my car and paid $0 to the other person involved, because there was no damage of any kind on their car.

So i drop them and go get Mercury, because that one appeared to be the cheapest one.
They pull up my driving record and there are 4 accidents on it. 1 at fault (the November one) and 3 not at fault. Was rear-ended twice sitting at the light and another one, my car was scratched while parked and me being at starbucks getting coffee. The guy was nice enough to leave his info and his insurance paid for it. I also have a speeding ticket from 2+ years ago.

So Mercury lady goes "We're sorry, but you have too many accidents. I know some of them are not your fault, but you are either an unsafe driver or an unlucky driver and Mercury reserves the right to NOT INSURE DRIVERS LIKE YOU". Funny, eh?

So i was finally able to find a company that would insure me - Unitrin, BUT at $1420 / 6 month!!! Even Geico quoted me $1900/6 mo... Progressive? That one is fucking retarded. I got a quote from them for $2700/6 months. That's more than my CAR PAYMENT!!!

All those accidents, accept the November one, and the ticket should fall off my record within the next year, so my insurance fates should drop, but for now, i am paying $250/mo.

Considering the fact that im almost 34, been driving for 18 years and have nothing else on my record this is fucking RIP-OFF for something that is mandatory....
      04-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

I have Allstate. I've had them for quite awhile after having both Progressive and Travelers. Allstate has been great.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #14
TunasBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: e92xi

Confirmed - State Farm says it is out of pocket. 3 people give me the run around, the team leader tells one of them to call me and tell me that is it, they cut me a check already and the can only use the estimate that they have with the used part.

They only use recycled parts if available. I still don't understand why they would want to have a pissed off customer rather than go after the other guys insurance for the extra 1k and make me happy. I can understand if i hit the two other cars, and SF is paying 20K to fix everything, but i'm not even at fault.

Worst insurance experience ever and i will never use these guys again.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #15
Dark_Sub_Rosa
Captain
United_States
Rep

When I was hunting for insurance I got the same deal about too many accidents. 0 were at fault but I've been rear ended probably 5 or 6 times in the past 5 years because I sit in a lot of heavy work flow traffic and retards can't stop. Majority of the time it hasn't even been a quick stop, it would just be someone not paying attention and slamming into me. I think All-State wouldn't touch me because they felt I basically had "bad-luck" even though none of the accidents I had were my fault or my insurance ever had to pay a dime.
      04-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #16
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by damadama View Post
I have state farm and i'm completely satisfied, as does everyone in my family. My sister recently got her civic totalled by someone in a rental car. rental car company said they would only pay 5k or some nonsense, my dad just had to pay the $500 deductible and state farm cut him a check for $11,000, which is actually 1k more than was paid for the car about 10 months prior. They are also sending a lawyer after the other company in an attempt to recoup the deductible on behalf of my parents...
Now watch the insurance rates for your ENTIRE family skyrocket next time you renew!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damadama View Post
I also had a parking lot incident 6 or 8 months ago. And initially they told me that since I was backing out, 98% of the time I'm going to be at fault. So I figured I was just SOL, but they inspected the damage on her car, apparently set up a model of the accident and then gave the lady trying to file on my insurance the middle finger. She came banging on my door all pissed the same day they told me they dropped the claim against me. Anyway, stupid bitch was threatening to sue me directly and all this nonsense, I laughed in her face and slammed the door... I'm happy w/ my State Farmage and the bs they deal with so I don't have to
Really? They setup a model for a parking lot fender bender? This is a first time i hear about something like this....

I got into the same accident in November. Was pulling out of the spot and some lady was waiting for me to get out of the spot so she could take it, and this impatient jackass went around her car on the RIGHT side. He slammed his brakes when he saw me pull out, but i did not see him until it was too late and i bumped into him. His fault, right? Wrong. I explained how everything happened to my insurance adjuster and he said that it is 100% my fault for not paying enough attention.

I think State Farm is full of shit with this "accident model" story. They just did not want to pay for that lady's damages. Paying for 1 car and ignoring your deductible was probably cheaper than paying for 2 cars.
      04-16-2009, 08:29 PM   #17
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I got a new auto and renter's policy with Erie today. Definitely look into Erie and Amica. They both have various JD Power awards, and a quick google search will turn up more positive customer reviews than any other company. They also happened to be the cheapest of any company I got quote from, and I got tons of them.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #18
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GTR

I have statefarm and have found them to have the best service. I have had to make three claims within the last three years or so. one being a total loss one being 15k+ in repairs and the other being fairly minor. All have been flawless in my book. I dont know if the bodyshop im taking them to is fantastic or statefarm is. I called them got a claim number and had my car begin to be worked on in the same day. No used parts. All brand new.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 12:11 AM   #19
mtechnik3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

+1 on Erie...currently working with an agent, I'll be switching from Nationwide very soon here. Not only is Erie cheaper, but also highly regarded.
      04-19-2009, 10:40 AM   #20
Bimmer335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 Sparkling Graphite 335i Sed

USAA!
      04-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #21
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MiroE90 View Post
+1 on Erie...currently working with an agent, I'll be switching from Nationwide very soon here. Not only is Erie cheaper, but also highly regarded.
did you look into them because I recommended them? I used Mark McDuffie. Hes on fairview across from southpark, in between BofA and fifth third bank. Lowest rate I found anywhere.

http://mcduffieinsurance.com/
Appreciate 0