Frupal779.50
      04-16-2020, 10:50 AM   #24
bimmer pleaser V2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C43

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
It's your opinion. There's 7+ bln more people in the world. With their opinions, values, agendas, etc.
same thing was probably going through the head of the person who ate that bat, and the he was like "fuck it, looks tasty".
Appreciate 2
      04-16-2020, 10:54 AM   #25
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer pleaser V2 View Post
same thing was probably going through the head of the person who ate that bat, and the he was like "fuck it, looks tasty".
Ozzy Osbourne?
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2023.50
      04-16-2020, 11:13 AM   #26
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

How is the hotel even open? Most Hotels, Motels, Inns, B and B's, Air BNB's etc. here are shut down by state order, except for long term stay ones that people live there.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #27
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
We are similar. I too like to analyze people's behaviour. Moreso, I like to use that to try to predict what they will do if I or someone else does X, Y or Z. I see similarities to life and chess.
I am not a chess player - but I should be. I sound a lot like you in our way of thinking.

I am in sales though - and studying peoples behaviors is a very useful tool. I am shocked often though - and I like that.
      04-16-2020, 11:28 AM   #28
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOWER5266 View Post
Careful man. I picked up some Mexican to go food and some beer from a local brewery and had dinner with my neighbors. We ate outside on a deck, and then had some beers around a fit pit. 5 of us(which is legal in my state) and we kept out distance, brought our own coolers, didnt lick each other, and those that wanted to, used hand sanitizer. I made a post on facebook about supporting local restaurants and businesses and the social distance warriors blew me up.

Edit:this was before Georgia listed the mandatory shelter in place and banned meeting at peoples homes.
Exactly. It amazes me how voracious people will get when told to "attack" by something/someone that connect with them. People will get absolutely rabid about it. Not just this, but politics, etc. And if you dare causally question anything about their thoughts or beliefs - it triples on you.

I don't know - I enjoy hearing other views and how people got to that point. I don't get offended when someone asks me why I think a certain way.

Asking questions is a good thing to me.
Hawkeye2069.50
      04-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #29
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
Exactly. It amazes me how voracious people will get when told to "attack" by something/someone that connect with them. People will get absolutely rabid about it. Not just this, but politics, etc. And if you dare causally question anything about their thoughts or beliefs - it triples on you.

I don't know - I enjoy hearing other views and how people got to that point. I don't get offended when someone asks me why I think a certain way.

Asking questions is a good thing to me.
Virtue signaling. I posed the question, "How many saved lives would it take, for you to give up everything you worked for, close your business and you and your family would have to start over. " I had so many people answer with "1" which is total BS but you look like a hero online. Most of these people spend their weekends at bars or breweries(not judging I do to) not helping at a soup kitchen. They are also the same people that will say the meanest shit to strangers online when they disagree with them.
Appreciate 2
Frupal779.50
Hawkeye2069.50
      04-16-2020, 11:37 AM   #30
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Some really intelligent friends you have there... That action alone shows me they are self-centered and selfish idiots. And that's not the type of friends I care to have, they'd be added to my block list pretty soon.
Appreciate 2
      04-16-2020, 12:02 PM   #31
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

I can't imagine any scenario where seeing a friend is worth the risk of potentially catching covid. Why do you even need to see them? just facetime or something.

then again i'm an introvert so this whole pandemic is a great excuse to not see people and get out of office meetings.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 4
upstatedoc7555.50
Frupal779.50
premier3is1627.00
Rmtt8206.00
      04-16-2020, 12:15 PM   #32
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDimmer6 View Post
Unless you were planning a hookup with hairdresser friend, don't go.

Would be foolish.

Just meet her separately to limit exposure.
Lol! No hookup planned.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2020, 12:18 PM   #33
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colodano View Post
How is the hotel even open? Most Hotels, Motels, Inns, B and B's, Air BNB's etc. here are shut down by state order, except for long term stay ones that people live there.
I wondered the same thing. I also wondered why they would accept reservations? There have to be at least 50 employees running a hotel like that who all come in contact with at least 20 people a day. The risk is too high.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 12:21 PM   #34
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
I can't imagine any scenario where seeing a friend is worth the risk of potentially catching covid. Why do you even need to see them? just facetime or something.

then again i'm an introvert so this whole pandemic is a great excuse to not see people and get out of office meetings.
I have a friend that has some depression issues and he has been texting some scary stuff because of the shut down. I try to walk the dog by his house of a few times a week and have a chat on his front yard(keeping our distance.) Some people need human contact. There has been an uptick in drug and alcohol relapses.
Appreciate 4
Frupal779.50
Rmtt8206.00
Humdizzle6024.00
Hawkeye2069.50
      04-16-2020, 12:31 PM   #35
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Yep. Also, YOLO.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 12:36 PM   #36
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
...Many who were probably alive and "of age" in 2009 when the H1N1 pandemic came through and were busy living their best lives. Most remember the name, but not much else about it.

Yes this is not the same, yada, yada. That is not the point. My point is why did we ignore than one like nothing was happening. Like did ZERO different yet this one people are wishing death on anyone that speaks to their neighbors. Written sarcastically of course......

I'm not wanting to debate the differences here - just why are people SO different about this one. Human actions fascinate me sometimes and I always wonder why.....

It's that 'it is totally different' thing - largely due to preparation, but also the nature of the bug. For H1N1 we had better tracking and preparation, and a vaccine. It really was only about as bad as the 'normal' flu, just affecting a different demographic (IIRC, it only killed about 20,000 or less). Never got to bodies stacking up in the streets, providers going down sick by the dozens. Afterwards they beefed up the federal programs to track and prepare (those programs were why we had already gotten the head start on the vaccine) - they were later disbanded because stable geniuses felt they were a waste of time. The WHO also got crucified for 'spreading false fears' which probably participated in the reluctance to sound the alarm this time.
Appreciate 1
Frupal779.50
      04-16-2020, 12:59 PM   #37
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post

I have a friend that has some depression issues and he has been texting some scary stuff because of the shut down. I try to walk the dog by his house of a few times a week and have a chat on his front yard(keeping our distance.) Some people need human contact. There has been an uptick in drug and alcohol relapses.
If you feel comfortable, share this with him. It's completely anonymous & they have counselors available 24/7.

That's good that you're walking the dog near to check & chat. I'm sure he really appreciates the thought & it may be one of the few things helping him hang on.

https://www.crisistextline.org
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #38
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
If you feel comfortable, share this with him. It's completely anonymous & they have counselors available 24/7.

https://www.crisistextline.org
I think Im his crisis text line, haha. I stop by and chat often, and we text several times a day. But I will hang on to that info just in case. Thank you.
Appreciate 3
Rmtt8206.00
rebekahb3128.50
      04-16-2020, 02:03 PM   #39
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Virtue signaling. I posed the question, "How many saved lives would it take, for you to give up everything you worked for, close your business and you and your family would have to start over. " I had so many people answer with "1" which is total BS but you look like a hero online. Most of these people spend their weekends at bars or breweries(not judging I do to) not helping at a soup kitchen. They are also the same people that will say the meanest shit to strangers online when they disagree with them.
That is the exact stuff that goes though my head. How much of this is for show from the general public?

I've heard some say "even one death is too many". Really? So you think we should all stop driving? We should all stop flying? We should never leave our houses? Of course not - but that is what we all have to agree to in order for things even as simple as transportation to exist. There will be deaths and deaths every single day.

I had a convo about this years ago when the subject of self driving cars came up. I posed the "how many is acceptable" question at the table and everyone there said zero. I said why would you be ok with 2-3 fatalities per DAY in our state by human drivers, but just a single one ever should make auto drive cars illegal? After they called me a liar and google for themselves the discussion got better - but you can understand how humans see even very similar things differently. We get numb to what we see every day.

Even if auto driving cars killed 10 people less per year - they would howl at the deaths as a travesty. At least until that became the "norm".

We are funny creatures for sure.
      04-16-2020, 02:11 PM   #40
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
I am not a chess player - but I should be. I sound a lot like you in our way of thinking.

I am in sales though - and studying peoples behaviors is a very useful tool. I am shocked often though - and I like that.
You really should try sometime. It might take a while if you've never played to get comfortable, but critically examining the board, anticipating where the opposing player might go, meanwhile planning your own trap for that spot is quite enjoyable. Or just outright being smarter.
Appreciate 1
unluky7465.00
      04-16-2020, 02:12 PM   #41
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That is the exact stuff that goes though my head. How much of this is for show from the general public?

I've heard some say "even one death is too many". Really? So you think we should all stop driving? We should all stop flying? We should never leave our houses? Of course not - but that is what we all have to agree to in order for things even as simple as transportation to exist. There will be deaths and deaths every single day.

I had a convo about this years ago when the subject of self driving cars came up. I posed the "how many is acceptable" question at the table and everyone there said zero. I said why would you be ok with 2-3 fatalities per DAY in our state by human drivers, but just a single one ever should make auto drive cars illegal? After they called me a liar and google for themselves the discussion got better - but you can understand how humans see even very similar things differently. We get numb to what we see every day.

Even if auto driving cars killed 10 people less per year - they would howl at the deaths as a travesty. At least until that became the "norm".

We are funny creatures for sure.
Settle in, this isn't going anywhere until after the election or longer. Neither side will be willing to call for relaxing all this regulation and taking responsibility if it's the wrong decision.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 02:25 PM   #42
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I believe a major reason for the deaths in NYC is the population density and the failure to social distance. The fact that the majority of personalities are probably Type A makes me think that they thought that they were too smart to get the virus. Your friends for some reason thought that hanging out at the Ritz Carlton would be cool and inviting others elevated their social standing. The reality is that social distancing helps lower your chances of catching this virus, flattens the curve and shortens the time needed to get back to normal.
      04-16-2020, 02:27 PM   #43
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

One of my financial advisors asked me if I wanted to go to the gun range last weekend, then said they were going golfing, then asked me to come to an NFL draft party. I can maybe see golfing cause you're outside in a large empty area but I have no idea who else he invited or who they're around during the day.
      04-16-2020, 02:58 PM   #44
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I believe a major reason for the deaths in NYC is the population density and the failure to social distance. The fact that the majority of personalities are probably Type A makes me think that they thought that they were too smart to get the virus. Your friends for some reason thought that hanging out at the Ritz Carlton would be cool and inviting others elevated their social standing. The reality is that social distancing helps lower your chances of catching this virus, flattens the curve and shortens the time needed to get back to normal.

LOL - exactly what I thought when it hit. I worked for a company that was headquartered in NYC. If you think you are going to tell NYC people what to do - think again! People talk about how freedom loving us midwest rednecks are, but monkey with a NYCer and see what happens. Those people sounds like they hate your guts when they are asking how your coffee is.

I loved it. I don't waste a lot of time on pleasantries and beating the bush for months to not hurt someones feelings is not my thing. You could call and tell those people exactly what you wanted or needed and almost hang up on them and that stuff got done.

One of them I talked to regularly answered his phone every time "WHAT?". Took me a bit to get used to and I though this guy hated me because he was so short with me, but when I turned in my notice and the email went out he was the 2nd one that called me and said "Damn it, your the only mother fucker I can get shit done down there with!" I laughed my ass off. We talked for a few then he says "well, have a nice life" and hung up on me. I have never spoken to him since.

"obey" is not what they do well. God love them.