08-22-2020, 08:22 PM   #45
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Geez I hope mine isn't $46k. Your house has a bit more footage than mine, but mine's a two story. So my roof will be smaller if yours is a single story.

I was looking at that tesla roof. I agree with the guys above that you almost have to get an electric car with that setup. Would just kinda hate supporting elondouche.
Yeah we have one story.

I doubt we’ll be in the market for a Tesla roof. The price of the roof + battery packs is likely cost prohibitive, even net of electric savings. And when it comes to my roof, pretty sure I don’t want Tesla involved in in any aspect of quality control. Great concept but I’d want to see it used in Florida on a widespread basis for at least a decade before jumping in and we will need a new roof well before then.
      08-22-2020, 09:58 PM   #46
maul3d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 AY M4 - 2012 Nissan GTR

I fixed my frigidaire fridge , replaced two boards. The main one, and behind the ice mixer.

$500 in parts.. and 0$ labour. Or, a $3000 fridge.

Week before that I had the a/c needed to be recharged. Lol
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 05:59 AM   #47
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post
Wtf really? Our house is 35 years old and on its original roof which shows no sign of issues. Our previous house had a roof that was also original and therefore about 70 years old with just the odd slipped tile that needed re-fixing.

What are your roofs made of that necessitates such frequent replacement?
Concrete barrel tile on top of plywood with underlay material in between. Unless they are cracked by impact (such as debris during hurricanes) the tiles should last over 50 years. But rain, humidity, and debris getting under the tiles take a toll on the underlay materials and if moisture penetrates to the wood, it will eventually cause a leak and require replacement of the wood and underlay material to repair. Additionally, these roofs need cleaning, which involves either pressure washing, chemicals or both. This further hastens deterioration, as does anyone walking on the roof, especially as the roof gets older.

Once you start spending money on repairs to the roof and repainting ceilings inside the house frequently, it makes sense to replace the roof. Usually 25-30 years. But some can last longer and lack of maintenance can require earlier replacement.

There are some houses with asphalt shingles here but not many because the heat kills them.
We have similar tiles (concrete pantiles), on top of batons with felt in between, they don't need cleaning and if hung properly, debris shouldn't get underneath them. I wonder if it's the plywood that's the problem, or the fact that our tiles are over 10lb each. No maintenance other than re-seating a slipped tile on our house.
      08-23-2020, 07:45 AM   #48
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We have similar tiles (concrete pantiles), on top of batons with felt in between, they don't need cleaning and if hung properly, debris shouldn't get underneath them. I wonder if it's the plywood that's the problem, or the fact that our tiles are over 10lb each. No maintenance other than re-seating a slipped tile on our house.
I don’t think the plywood is the problem as water should not get through to the plywood. The material between the tile and plywood is the critical part. And it is a widespread issue with the roofs throughout the region, not just our neighborhood. The tiles are heavy and yes, there could be constructions deficiencies for new construction. But I think the weather (incl. tropical storms) and cleaning are what accelerate decline the most. Our roof has been through at least 4 significant hurricanes and some tropical storms. Roofs here typically get cleaned every 2 years more or less to remove built up mold and mildew. I am going to try a different approach to cleaning next time to avoid having anyone walk on the roof.
      08-24-2020, 10:01 AM   #49
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I don’t think the plywood is the problem as water should not get through to the plywood. The material between the tile and plywood is the critical part. And it is a widespread issue with the roofs throughout the region, not just our neighborhood. The tiles are heavy and yes, there could be constructions deficiencies for new construction. But I think the weather (incl. tropical storms) and cleaning are what accelerate decline the most. Our roof has been through at least 4 significant hurricanes and some tropical storms. Roofs here typically get cleaned every 2 years more or less to remove built up mold and mildew. I am going to try a different approach to cleaning next time to avoid having anyone walk on the roof.
Yeah I wouldn't clean a roof. I guess hurricanes would cause issues, but cleaning certainly won't help. If it needs to be clean, can you get something called 'wet and forget' over there? It's a spray on biocidal solution that you just spray and leave. Works really well.
      08-24-2020, 11:15 AM   #50
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I wouldn't clean a roof. I guess hurricanes would cause issues, but cleaning certainly won't help. If it needs to be clean, can you get something called 'wet and forget' over there? It's a spray on biocidal solution that you just spray and leave. Works really well.
Roofs would get pretty full of mold and mildew here if not cleaned, and HOAs require it so not much choice. I am actually pretty familiar with Wet and Forget and use it on my patio and driveway. My former neighbor used it on his roof and it did not work well - very spotty / streaking cleaning. I don't think the sprayed enough. I may give it a try at least on a section, but am also looking into a soft wash service which is similar in that the person cleaning does not walk on the roof. Just need to understand what they spray and how much it costs.
      08-24-2020, 01:09 PM   #51
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayB View Post
I hope that everybody has the garage door springs safety wired. Once a year spray some Lithium Grease onto the tracks, first remove the car, I use CRC.
Quote:
What you don’t need to lubricate: The track
A common misconception is that you need to lubricate your garage door’s track to help the rollers move up and down.
https://garagetransformed.com/garage-door-lubrication/
      08-24-2020, 02:35 PM   #52
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

I feel your pain But everything you named can be fixed by you for few hundred dollars
Good Luck