BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-20-2020, 05:41 PM   #1
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Really well for an Asian.

Double check your license plate to your reg. card

Just found out the hard way that you should double check your license plate number to your registration card.

I bought my Toyota Tacoma in April 2019. When I received the registration and plates in the mail I assumed it was all correct so I just slapped the plates onto the car and placed the card into my glove box. Today, I got pulled over, handcuffed, and placed into the back of a squad car for about an hour because the police thought my car and/or plates were stolen. Come to find out the plate # was one digit off and coming back registered to a Dodge Ram. Luckily, the outcome was confiscated plates and a couple hours wasted. The officers were very professional and courteous considering the circumstances.

Now I'm trying to get a hold of the DMV or someone at the dealership I purchased the car at to trace back where the mix up happened and fix the issue.

Not gonna lie, I was freaking out in my head a bit when they told me to get out of the car and to put my hands behind my back and cuffed me. I've never been in trouble with the law and thought I was being arrested knowing I did absolutely nothing wrong. Being told I was only being detained and not arrested didn't help much as that was the first I'd ever had cuffs put on me.
Appreciate 1
yco5734.50
      08-20-2020, 06:47 PM   #2
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Sue em
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 06:55 PM   #3
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Sue em
Meh. At the end of the day, no harm, no foul.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2020, 07:05 PM   #4
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Handcuffs seemed rather excessive. They could have easily done a background check while running your plates and your llicense. If you've never had any issues before, they could have put you in the back of their squad car without handcuffs while doing the investigation. Based on your profile, you're Asian. Got to wonder if the same would have happened if you were a Karen or Kyle or a Ken.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 07:11 PM   #5
309xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Handcuffs seemed rather excessive. They could have easily done a background check while running your plates and your llicense. If you've never had any issues before, they could have put you in the back of their squad car without handcuffs while doing the investigation. Based on your profile, you're Asian. Got to wonder if the same would have happened if you were a Karen or Kyle or a Ken.
You're right. No whites get handcuffed while being detained. Nailed it.
Appreciate 2
      08-20-2020, 07:16 PM   #6
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I get what you're saying, but I'd like to give the officers the benefit of the doubt and think that they would have treated anyone the same, regardless of race. Other than the cuffs, they were professional. I never really felt threatened by any of them. I was just freaked out by the situation.

I do have a clean record, btw.

Sedan_Clan or any other LEO. Care to chime in?
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410971.00
      08-20-2020, 07:20 PM   #7
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
It's LAPD. First handcuffs. Then a few punches to the gut. Doughnut, then checking on the "perp" Finally, ROR. Next customer!
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
      08-20-2020, 07:30 PM   #8
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard print View Post
I get what you're saying, but I'd like to give the officers the benefit of the doubt and think that they would have treated anyone the same, regardless of race. Other than the cuffs, they were professional. I never really felt threatened by any of them. I was just freaked out by the situation.

I got to sit in my car while they ran the check when I had unattached plates. I was dumb though and thought the plates followed me, not the vehicle, so I slapped on the plates from the car I got rid of onto the new car and off I went.

When they told me I had unattached plates, I thought they meant one of my plates had fallen off the car. I too had a clean record, so they gave me a fix it ticket where if I showed them proof of registration it would all go away, which I did.

It probably didn't hurt that I was on my way to church that morning and had the bible on the front passenger seat. But overall, my experience was pretty pleasant, and I learned something I didn't know.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 07:47 PM   #9
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:

The use of handcuffs should not be taken personally. They are merely a measure used to restrain while we investigate.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410971.00
      08-20-2020, 07:57 PM   #10
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

I'm white, with absolutely no record.

When I got busted for going 95 in a 45 they did a felony stop (at gunpoint), handcuffs, the whole 9 yards. I shut up except for yessir/no sir and honestly it wasn't that bad. Got taken downtown, booked, whole thing.
Appreciate 2
      08-20-2020, 08:01 PM   #11
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I got to sit in my car while they ran the check when I had unattached plates. I was dumb though and thought the plates followed me, not the vehicle, so I slapped on the plates from the car I got rid of onto the new car and off I went.

When they told me I had unattached plates, I thought they meant one of my plates had fallen off the car. I too had a clean record, so they gave me a fix it ticket where if I showed them proof of registration it would all go away, which I did.

It probably didn't hurt that I was on my way to church that morning and had the bible on the front passenger seat. But overall, my experience was pretty pleasant, and I learned something I didn't know.
Very different from my experience ,but not surprised because you're from Canada. Haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 08:03 PM   #12
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
The use of handcuffs should not be taken personally. They are merely a measure used to restrain while we investigate.
I didn't take offense to the handcuffs. Obviously, I would rather not have them on, but I understood the necessity from the LEO's perspective. I was respectful and so were they.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25085.00
      08-20-2020, 08:05 PM   #13
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
I didn't take offense to the handcuffs. Obviously, I would rather to not have them on, but I understood the necessity from the LEO's perspective. I was respectful and so were they.
It's really that simple!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 08:07 PM   #14
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Great advice!

Many moons ago, a dyslexic DMV clerk handed my wife plates with 2074 on them, but typed 2704 on the registration. A few weeks later, we received a new registration in the mail with both 2074 and 2704 on it, along with the 2704 plates and instructions to destroy the 2074 plates. Apparently DMV discovered the error when they tried to issue the 2704 plates when they came up in the pile. Neither of us are dyslexic, and we didn't notice until they sent the the new registration/plates.

Another example was back in the 1980's, when I bought a boat as a partnership (co-signer) with a sibling. I arrived at the dealership to sign the paperwork late due to transportation issues. (My day started out with pushing my car 1/4 mile off the interstate to avoid the highway robbery tow rates when the clutch grenaded, followed by a 3 mile walk to work.) They were waiting for me to sign so that they could close for the evening, and my sibling sat there for hours and never verified the VIN on the paper against the boat hitched to his truck. Long story short, the VIN on the trailer was correct, but the boat's VIN and owner's manual that they handed him were for a completely different (and more expensive) model. I didn't find out until after I had to foreclose on it after three months, and let it sit for a few years while making payments because I had no way to move it. By then, the dealership was out of business, and the DMV process to get the title fixed was more complex than selling the trailer and parting out the boat to cover most of the loan obligation.

Needless to say, I obsessively verify all DMV paperwork during every transaction.....
      08-20-2020, 08:10 PM   #15
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
It's really that simple!
I agree. The vast majority of cops are respectful if you show them the same.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410971.00
      08-20-2020, 08:18 PM   #16
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Great advice!

Many moons ago, a dyslexic DMV clerk handed my wife plates with 2074 on them, but typed 2704 on the registration. A few weeks later, we received a new registration in the mail with both 2074 and 2704 on it, along with the 2704 plates and instructions to destroy the 2074 plates. Apparently DMV discovered the error when they tried to issue the 2704 plates when they came up in the pile. Neither of us are dyslexic, and we didn't notice until they sent the the new registration/plates.

Another example was back in the 1980's, when I bought a boat as a partnership (co-signer) with a sibling. I arrived at the dealership to sign the paperwork late due to transportation issues. (My day started out with pushing my car 1/4 mile off the interstate to avoid the highway robbery tow rates when the clutch grenaded, followed by a 3 mile walk to work.) They were waiting for me to sign so that they could close for the evening, and my sibling sat there for hours and never verified the VIN on the paper against the boat hitched to his truck. Long story short, the VIN on the trailer was correct, but the boat's VIN and owner's manual that they handed him were for a completely different (and more expensive) model. I didn't find out until after I had to foreclose on it after three months, and let it sit for a few years while making payments because I had no way to move it. By then, the dealership was out of business, and the DMV process to get the title fixed was more complex than selling the trailer and parting out the boat to cover most of the loan obligation.

Needless to say, I obsessively verify all DMV paperwork during every transaction.....
Here's to hoping we can save some people some headaches with our misfortunes.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615256.00
      08-20-2020, 10:09 PM   #17
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 309xi View Post
You're right. No whites get handcuffed while being detained. Nailed it.
Read my post again. Never said "no whites". This is the problem with America. Everyone is looking to start a fight and misinterpret messages and facts.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 10:10 PM   #18
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post

And this is how OP should have been treated.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 10:12 PM   #19
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:

When I got busted for going 95 in a 45 they did a felony stop (at gunpoint), handcuffs, the whole 9 yards. I shut up except for yessir/no sir and honestly it wasn't that bad. Got taken downtown, booked, whole thing.
At 95 in a 45, you could have killed someone. You may have been drunk, high, or leaving the scene of a crime. They responded appropriately, regardless of your race! Very different than someone casually strolling around in their car with a registration that is one digit off. OP, I'm assuming you weren't driving recklessly, correct??
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 10:32 PM   #20
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
At 95 in a 45, you could have killed someone. You may have been drunk, high, or leaving the scene of a crime. They responded appropriately, regardless of your race! Very different than someone casually strolling around in their car with a registration that is one digit off. OP, I'm assuming you weren't driving recklessly, correct??
Correct. Was obeying all traffic laws as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 10:53 PM   #21
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:

What the hell were you doing 95 in a 45 for?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 07:49 AM   #22
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Correct. Was obeying all traffic laws as far as I know.
Yeah, but Asian, sooooo.....

(maybe violating at least 3-4 traffic laws without knowing it ). Sorry...I actually do know a few Asians who actually drive really well. But there doesn't seem to be a middle ground - they either drive very well, or absolutely terrible. And I've seen a lot more that are terrible than are good.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
What the hell were you doing 95 in a 45 for?
He just had Taco Bell. Give him a break would you?
Appreciate 3