United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
I have Craftsman GDOs, essentially rebranded LiftMasters. I can use Siri to open and close the garage door either through the iPhone or Apple CarPlay.

My GDOs do not have MyQ built-in so I had to retrofit a solution. Be careful they offer various ways to retrofit and it's not always clear, why.

I chose the 819LMB myQ Home Bridge vs. the G821LMB myQ Smart Garage Hub and the 828LM Internet Gateway. The latter two provide connectivity to the myQ app but do NOT support Apple HomeKit integration.

G821LMB myQ Smart Garage Hub
I didn't choose this option b/c it attaches to the garage door and it only supports two garage door sensors. I have three garage doors.
https://www.liftmaster.com/smart-garage-hub/p/G821LMB

828LM Internet Gateway
https://www.liftmaster.com/myqpck-sm...pener/p/MYQPCK

This doesn't list all products, e.g. hub but does provide a nice overview.
https://embed.widencdn.net/pdf/plus/...7.pdf?u=mcyivk

I have this solution working for 1 door. To support the other two doors, I will need to add additional 889LM control panels.

I used...

819LMB myQ Home Bridge
This bridge is plugged into the ceiling and zip tied to the operator bracket...
https://www.liftmaster.com/myq-home-bridge/p/G819LMB

889LM Control Panel
in combination with this control panel which is hardwired to the operator and attached to the wall. I wish the control panel wasn't hardwired. The control panel does have a motion sensor that can be configured to turn on the operator light when you enter the garage.
https://www.liftmaster.com/myq-control-panel/p/889LM

The older 888 control panel had issues...
Scroll down the 889LM page and you will see a link to request a replacement...
https://cloud.info.liftmaster.com/88...845.1599058305

Last edited by omasou; 09-02-2020 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13296.00
      09-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #24
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
I have Craftsman GDOs, essentially rebranded LiftMasters. I can use Siri to open and close the garage door either through the iPhone or Apple CarPlay.

My GDOs do not have MyQ built-in so I had to retrofit a solution. Be careful they offer various ways to retrofit and it's not always clear, why.

I didn't like this option that attached to the garage door.
https://www.liftmaster.com/smart-garage-hub/p/G821LMB

I have this solution working for 1 door. To support the other two doors, I "think", I will need to add additional 889LM control panels but can use the one hub. I'll update once I get the additional 889LM control panels.

I used...

This bridge is plugged into the ceiling and zip tied to the operator bracket...
https://www.liftmaster.com/myq-home-bridge/p/G819LMB

in combination with this control panel which is hardwired to the operator and attached to the wall. I wish the control panel wasn't hardwired. The control panel does have a motion sensor that can be configured to turn on the operator light when you enter the garage.
https://www.liftmaster.com/myq-control-panel/p/889LM

The older 888 control panel had issues...
Scroll down the 889LM page and you will see a link to request a replacement...
https://cloud.info.liftmaster.com/88...845.1599058305

I forget why I went with the bridge vs. the "internet gateway"
https://www.liftmaster.com/myqpck-sm...pener/p/MYQPCK
Are you sure about only one base station and door sensor per garage door? I seem to recall during the setup process the ability to pair an additional door sensor to the single base station. An alternative is to call Chamberlain's tech support line. I did for an issue that turned out to be a Genie issue. They were able to help out with that one too even though Genie support was pointing fingers at Chamberlain. Chamberlain's support is very good.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 10:50 AM   #25
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

Zx10guy, how many years have you had this system?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 11:06 AM   #26
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by QM View Post
Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. I'm taking about a wall button that opens the garage door from inside. Part number Liftmaster 888LM. https://www.liftmaster.com/888lm-myq...ntrol/p/G888LM

There is a wire from this wall button to the opener. The MyQ wall button communicates with the liftmaster gateway that connects to the router. That's how the retrofit MyQ system operates.
Anyway, just read the reviews in the above link and you'll see that this is a common problem. Yes the system works very well for a number of years until the wall switch/button goes bad. Then you'll find your garage door open by itself at random times. The first one went bad after 4 years in the winter and left the door open. Luckily we were home and no pipes burst since I just used a car remote to close the door. The second went bad last week (7 years) during the night. I get alerts when the door is opened. Was not a fun thing to investigate in the middle of the night. Don't know if this issue is limited to retrofit MyQ systems only. Just be warned if you have an older opener and want to go that route.
My 888LM failed to open the garage door, which of course was the day that I said, I don't need my keys.

I did "fix" it by reconfiguring the pieces and it's working fine again, while I wait fo r the 889LM replacements.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 11:07 AM   #27
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
I'm not 100% sure and why I would like to test it. I did call Chamberlian support to get this far and they weren't as helpful as I had hoped.

If like other bridges, e.g. Philps, etc. then it "should" bridge the MyQ protocol to Apple Homekit.
That's surprising. Because the guy I had help was very good.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 11:11 AM   #28
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The "version 1" of the system has been in service since February of 2017. It was first used with my Genie opener in my primary home. I moved it when I got the "version 2" of the system in November of 2019. Version 1 is now installed in my vacation home mated to a Liftmaster opener. And of course version 2 is now mated to my Genie opener in my primary home.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 11:25 AM   #29
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:
The "version 1" of the system has been in service since February of 2017. It was first used with my Genie opener in my primary home. I moved it when I got the "version 2" of the system in November of 2019. Version 1 is now installed in my vacation home mated to a Liftmaster opener. And of course version 2 is now mated to my Genie opener in my primary home.
Does the wall unit need to be charged from the opener wires to continue working (888/889LM does)? That was the point of failure with each of the older 888LM units I had.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 11:30 AM   #30
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
That's surprising. Because the guy I had help was very good.
This thread reminded me to check on the status of my replacements 889LM control pads, which should be in stock in a few weeks.

So I asked the question. To which, I received the incorrect answer but upon clarifying the question again was told yes.

The 819LMB myQ Home Bridge will support multiple 889LM (one for each door) control pads or newer operators.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 11:41 AM   #31
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

This is the one I have, bought it mainly because I have it connected to my Google assistant, as I pull into my street I long press the mic button on the steering wheel, say "open garage" or whatever you set it to and it works, love it. You connect two cables to the back of the opener and plug it into a power outlet, run a sensor to the top of the door, easy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...language=en_US

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 2
QM287.00
Soul_Glo13296.00
      09-02-2020, 11:44 AM   #32
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Does the wall unit need to be charged from the opener wires to continue working (888/889LM does)? That was the point of failure with each of the older 888LM units I had.
From the pic I posted, those are the only two components to the system I installed. The bigger unit with the strobe light is the base station. You're supposed to mount it on the ceiling a set distance from the garage door opener. At my vacation home, I did just that. At my primary home, I haven't done this. It's sitting on my work bench in my garage because I'm using both outlets in the ceiling: one for the garage door opener and the other is for my ceiling mounted workshop light with a spooled power cord.

The smaller box is the door sensor. This is velcro'd to the garage door to tell the base station if the door is up or down. This is battery powered with a Lithium cell. I've only had to replace the battery in this sensor in the version 1 unit once since owning it. I did get a low battery warning on the version 2 system for the door sensor. I got a replacement battery but checked the old one first which turned out to still be good. I replaced the old battery and haven't had any warnings since.

All the other components you and omasou have discussed, I'm not using. I haven't looked into those components but what the basic setup has is enough to satisfy my needs for now.
Appreciate 1
QM287.00
      09-02-2020, 11:49 AM   #33
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
The 819LMB myQ Home Bridge plugs into the ceiling.

The 889LM control panel connects to the operator using normal bell wire to get power.

I still need to trench the wire into the drywall.

Liftmaster 889LM Instructions
Attached Images

Last edited by omasou; 09-02-2020 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
QM287.00
      09-02-2020, 05:54 PM   #34
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

This seems a little gimmicky to me. 80/20 rule here, I don't see how I'd benefit from this? Why do I need to control my garage door from my phone?
      09-02-2020, 06:00 PM   #35
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

It provides piece of mind. There are times I'm in such a hurry I forget to shut the garage door. The system provides me with a real time update as to if the door is up or down. In the past, I would be able to see if my garage door was up or down as I have a security camera in the garage of my primary home. But even if I saw the door open, I couldn't do anything about it till I got home. Now I can.

Second advantage is that I can open the door remotely for neighbor of friends to get into my garage. I've done this a couple of times.

Third, it's another backup to get the garage door open. I don't carry my house keys with me much for my primary home.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 08:05 AM   #36
M_Chronos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Am I recalling correctly that the myQ has a subscription fee?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 08:12 AM   #37
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

There is no subscription fee for just the base function which is monitoring the status of the garage door and remotely opening and closing. I seem to recall if you leverage integration with other Smart home type systems then there is a subscription.

I also remembered another feature that is present in the version 2 unit which is scheduled closing of the garage door. Nice feature when you forget to close the garage door when you're home. I've done this too where I've been working in the garage and forgot to close it when turning in for the night. Been a number of occasions where I wake up in the morning and realize the door was left open all night. Some of my neighbors have done this too.
Appreciate 1
M_Chronos112.00
      09-03-2020, 08:20 AM   #38
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
There is no subscription fee for just the base function which is monitoring the status of the garage door and remotely opening and closing. I seem to recall if you leverage integration with other Smart home type systems then there is a subscription.

I also remembered another feature that is present in the version 2 unit which is scheduled closing of the garage door. Nice feature when you forget to close the garage door when you're home . I've done this too where I've been working in the garage and forgot to close it when turning in for the night. Been a number of occasions where I wake up in the morning and realize the door was left open all night. Some of my neighbors have done this too.
This is one of the main reasons I want one!

I like to leave my door cracked because of the extreme heat build up. I sometimes forget to close it before bed. I have tons of valuables in there.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 11:48 PM   #39
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
This seems a little gimmicky to me. 80/20 rule here, I don't see how I'd benefit from this? Why do I need to control my garage door from my phone?
That's the whole why do I need home automation question and you may not.

The reasons I like it are...

1) I can use my phone to double check that my garage door is closed and doors are locked. Similar to BMW Connected Drive to know my car windows are closed and the doors are locked when it starts raining.

2) I can or my children can open the garage door and enter the house without keys. Yes, we need to have our phones but we always do.

Now of course if that still seems silly then home automation isn't something you will find value in.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 10:30 AM   #40
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Made my decision.

As always, I appreciate everyone's input and opinions. That's Wray these online forums should be about: Either helpful tips abd recommendations or fun.

After a few days of research and MANY reviews and what will fit my particular need, I went with the Tailwind iQ3. Once I receive and install it and use it a few times, I will update.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 12:14 PM   #41
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
You can use MyQ opener or buy an add-on module that works with most modern door openers. For voice and remote activation/monitoring, you can use Apple Homekit, Google Home and Alexa should also work.

I use Apple Homekit myself. I can open and close my garage with my Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad and Macbook, iMac and Apple TV remote. Apple Homepod will only close and lock doors but won't unlock for obvious reason so intruders can't summon SIRI and open doors.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #42
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Chronos View Post
Am I recalling correctly that the myQ has a subscription fee?
I have MyQ installed as an ADD-ON to my Liftmaster opener. There is no subscription fee as far as I know. They even sent me an update module but it doesn't have an LED light like the old one.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 02:13 PM   #43
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I had a couple coupons a year or so ago to Lowes and I got a myQ set for my garage. Do I need it? Probably not.. have I actually used it in a year or so? Twice. So for those two times that A) the wife left the house and didn't close the garage door.. and B) I told the kids to close the door and they ended up opening the other door late at night. Not only saving me a potential loss if someone stole something from my garage.. I'm certain that overnight I would get all sorts of animals heading into the garage to find whatever food was possible (I do have stored food and fridge in my garage too.. which a year ago two mice managed to chew through the garage door plastic seal and hide away in the winter. The mice managed to go everywhere including the engine bay of the cars).

There's a setting that it will not only send a push notification, but an email to you if the door is left open too long (in my case I have it for 30 minutes) I'm either outside working so I know it is.. or I didn't realize it was open. I do also have cameras, but as stated before, you know it's open but you can't do a thing about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #44
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I would also recommend adding a camera to confirm the status of your garage door so that you're not just relying on the door sensor alone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0