09-13-2020, 08:07 AM   #23
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So we have a 50 foot cherry tree next to the house. The black bears LOVE cherries. Every mid-June the bears come to feast. My one beagle was absolutely possessed about the bears. He would wait 11 months for the bears to come back. Every day he'd sit by the door facing the cherry tree and wait. There was no more strong-willed dog for prey than him.

When the bears came, I'd let him out and he'd chase the bears to the fence line and then stop. It got to the point the bears figured out he'd only chase that far and the bears would sit on the perimeter with the pup on the inside barking at each other.
I was digging though pics this morning. Found this unexpectedly; the invisible fence line is just a about 10 feet into the woodsline behind the Greehouse (what we call it), thought I'd post it:
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 09-13-2020 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
Smgs1992720.00
Poiseuille5362.00
      09-13-2020, 09:49 AM   #24
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
I was digging though pics this morning. Found this unexpectedly; the invisible fence line is just a about 10 feet into the woodsline behind the Greehouse (what we call it), thought I'd post it:
We have made two signifiant purchases recently. A new Jack Russell puppy and a new home. I have experience with JRT's, the new home is on 1.5 acres with no fence. Our current home is on a small lot in town with a fully fenced yard. We are concerned about keeping the dog on the property so are leaning strongly towards an invisible fence, my concern is the dogs will and ability to defeat the fence. What type of fence did you use?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Poiseuille5362.00
      09-13-2020, 10:17 AM   #25
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Build the wall
And get the neighbor to pay for it.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      09-13-2020, 10:36 AM   #26
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
We have made two signifiant purchases recently. A new Jack Russell puppy and a new home. I have experience with JRT's, the new home is on 1.5 acres with no fence. Our current home is on a small lot in town with a fully fenced yard. We are concerned about keeping the dog on the property so are leaning strongly towards an invisible fence, my concern is the dogs will and ability to defeat the fence. What type of fence did you use?
Jesus, is that Jack cute! Sweet house too. We used The Invisible Fence company and had them train the beagles. Like I said, they never broke the fence in 16 years. They were about 10 months old when we installed it. I think the younger the dog when it is trained the better. And having short-haired coat is better too.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 10:47 AM   #27
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Jesus, is that Jack cute! Sweet house too. We used The Invisible Fence company and had them train the beagles. Like I said, they never broke the fence in 16 years. They were about 10 months old when we installed it. I think the younger the dog when it is trained the better. And having short-haired coat is better too.
Thanks for the compliments.....he is a cute little shit. There's a few companies that install and train and that's what were leaning towards. We took that picture of him the day we brought him home, about 5 weeks ago now. We put the offer in on the house about a week ago and so far it's basically a done deal conditional on the sale of our current home which has an offer conditional on inspection which happens tomorrow and that shouldn't be a problem so should know end of day tomorrow that it's all done. Moving date will be October 30th, fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 04:28 PM   #28
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Strong-willed dogs will break the "electric" fence. I had golden retrievers which could do it (with a running start) so I'm sure a GSD with strong prey drive could do the same.

Plus you have to be diligent with keeping the collar clean or at least had to with ours (long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away)
The GSD i am not worried about at all. If it was just him i probably wouldnt worry about a fence. He doesnt go off anywhere, has a great recall and i take him outside off leash now all the time he just hangs out by me
your assessment of the differences between the Shepherd and the Lab is spot on. i've always had Labs and the worry with Labs is that when they take off they don't pay any attention to the way back, when it eventually occurs to them that it's dinner time they have no clue and a big Lab can cover a lot of distance.
invisible fence works just fine for both male and female Labs. i currently have two, one a 105lb male. you may already know that male Labs can be pretty hard-headed and seemingly oblivious to pain. once properly trained a Lab will not mess with that fence. as others have said they definitely will respect the beeper on the collar which starts a yard or so from the actual jolt. it works even on a young Lab at wot which as you know is saying something.
during training as the dog approaches the fence he only gets a partial jolt that is adjustable anyway, so your dog actually getting hurt by it is unlikely.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 07:34 PM   #29
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Thanks for the compliments.....he is a cute little shit. There's a few companies that install and train and that's what were leaning towards. We took that picture of him the day we brought him home, about 5 weeks ago now. We put the offer in on the house about a week ago and so far it's basically a done deal conditional on the sale of our current home which has an offer conditional on inspection which happens tomorrow and that shouldn't be a problem so should know end of day tomorrow that it's all done. Moving date will be October 30th, fingers crossed.
Good luck with the house swap I'd bet everyone will be happy in the new house.
Appreciate 0