BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
Brown Stud
He aint my president
India
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Question about America/American's

So I am coming to LA in a couple months for holiday. I am going to be staying in Newport Beach to be specific. I have lived in California before, but I was younger. My question is about how Americans are presented television here true? We are shown American's as pompous assholes who only care about themselves. I also don't want to be ridiculed for my accent, which is kind of like a mix of British and American mostly because I grew up in London and in the States until moving to India. I know I could ask my Dad, Uncles and cousins, but they're going to say things that will please me rather than tell me the truth.

Sorry for such a weird question, but I really don't know.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Stud View Post
So I am coming to LA in a couple months for holiday. I am going to be staying in Newport Beach to be specific. I have lived in California before, but I was younger. My question is about how Americans are presented television here true? We are shown American's as pompous assholes who only care about themselves. I also don't want to be ridiculed for my accent, which is kind of like a mix of British and American mostly because I grew up in London and in the States until moving to India. I know I could ask my Dad, Uncles and cousins, but they're going to say things that will please me rather than tell me the truth.

Why are you so concerned?

It's like any other place in the world. You should know better than to stereotype an entire country.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
xT4iw4n3zx
Private
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 09' E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post

It's like any other place in the world. You should know better than to stereotype an entire country.
This.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:

do you believe everything you hear/see on tv? if that's the case, i'm sorry for you. it's not like you're going to alabama...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
FR305
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i Coupe

Quote:

I CANT BELIEVE YOU'VE DONE THIS
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
Brown Stud
He aint my president
India
Rep

Quote:

I didnt stereotype an entire country, I am only asking if what I see is how American's act

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
do you believe everything you hear/see on tv? if that's the case, i'm sorry for you. it's not like you're going to alabama...
I never said I believe it, where did you get that from?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Yes. We are bunch of "pompous assholes who only care about ourselves" but we will make an exception and roll out the red carpet for you ...Just come on down.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 07:34 PM   #8
Brown Stud
He aint my president
India
Rep

Well I got my answer. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 07:38 PM   #9
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Well I got my answer. Thanks
Listen, we know we aren't liked by much of the world. This thread is only a reaffirmation of that. You presented a slightly provoking question. I think it would be in your best interest to come here and decide for yourself.

Where I live is probably THE most diverse place on earth. We have all sorts of people.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #10
Jammin Jason
We run LA
Ras al-Khaimah
Rep
Drives: Slow E90

Garage List
06 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR305 View Post
I CANT BELIEVE YOU'VE DONE THIS
I can't believe you've done this.
      04-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
Brown Stud
He aint my president
India
Rep

Quote:
Listen, we know we aren't liked by much of the world. This thread is only a reaffirmation of that. Wasn't a very well worded question, and, it would be in your best interest to come here and decide for yourself.
I don't have an issue with Americans, I am just asking a questions. I would say British and Canadians are much bigger assholes than Americans. We have British Indian and Canadian Indians that come here and think they own the place, but most American Indians are real chill, well the ones I have hanged out with.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #12
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I can't help but LOL at the fact you're going to Newport Beach. Of all the places you could possibly go to that is an area with a very strong reputation for the kind of attitude you're asking about. It's a very nice place but there are a lot of snobs.

And, no offense intended, but the fact you call yourself "Brown Stud" says to me that you should probably be more concerned with your own self-centered attitude...
      04-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #13
Brown Stud
He aint my president
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
I can't help but LOL at the fact you're going to Newport Beach. Of all the places you could possibly go to that is an area with a very strong reputation for the kind of attitude you're asking about. It's a very nice place but there are a lot of snobs.

And, no offense intended, but the fact you call yourself "Brown Stud" says to me that you should probably be more concerned with your own self-centered attitude...
Well that is where my family lives, so there isn't much I can do about that.

Because my username is "Brown Stud" that means I am self-centered?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #14
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep

It sounds like a name someone with frosted tips, giant sunglasses, and a bunch of undersized D&G t-shirts would call himself. Just saying
      04-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #15
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
It sounds like a name someone with frosted tips, giant sunglasses, and a bunch of undersized D&G t-shirts would call himself. Just saying
LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #16
Brown Stud
He aint my president
India
Rep

Quote:
Have you seen Indians like that? They try to hit on the chicks at the clubs here, but fail so bad
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 07:59 PM   #17
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Do all Indians work in tech-call centers or run quickie marts? No.

Are all Americans inbred rednecks that say y'all? No.

You'll find a diverse group of people in the U.S. Most people will be very nice to you and if you ask for help or directions be happy to assist you. Your accent won't be a problem, after all you are going to California. A lot of people speak English with an accent there (Mexican immigrants). Will you run into some assholes? Sure, its possible. After all, every country has their pricks.

As far as Americans only caring about themselves, that couldn't be further from the truth. The United States donates more to international charity than any other country on earth, both as a government and as citizens. I have never encountered someone who wasn't willing to help me in a city that I was visiting, including NYC, which has the reputation for being a city of rude people. Everyone in NYC was super nice.

If we all believed the stereotypes on TV, then all Arabs would be suicide terrorists, all French people would have hairy armpits and be cheese eating surrender monkeys, all Canadians would say "Eh", etc. etc. Come here and form your own opinion. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
      04-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #18
Brown Stud
He aint my president
India
Rep

Thanks for clearing somethings up. I really can't wait to visit!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 08:04 PM   #19
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

yes it is true, especially in Newport Beach. No they won't ridicule you for your accent.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #20
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep

Quote:
Have you seen Indians like that? They try to hit on the chicks at the clubs here, but fail so bad
Yeah I've been to a couple of clubs on nights they have Indian DJs and are geared toward attracting Indian crowds, and there are always a few Indian Guidos around. That being said I always have the most fun on those Indian nights. The crowd is usually a lot more chill than on other nights.
      04-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #21
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
I also don't want to be ridiculed for my accent, which is kind of like a mix of British and American mostly because I grew up in London and in the States until moving to India
Ridiculed for your accent? Not unless you are going to Paris... but its not in America. This country is built on immigration. Half of the people i know are either from another country, or their parents or grand parents are. No one will ridicule you.

Just ask Sara504, she loves my accent
      04-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #22
xT4iw4n3zx
Private
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 09' E90 LCI

Quote:
I would say British and Canadians are much bigger assholes than Americans.
Excuse me?
Appreciate 0