Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing

11-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Dell 24" Monitor (2408WFP)

So, I've been in the market to buy a new monitor. I've learned more than any one person should learn about a monitor just for casual home use.

While browsing the Dell website, I came across that they had their 2408WFP monitor for sale, down $172 from $689 to $517.

Here is the link:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-6272

This is the best deal on the market right now for a monitor of this quality. There is a HP monitor, the LP2475w that has alittle better color rendering and quicker performance (we are talking MS quicker), but it is $650.

If anyone wants to learn about monitors, don't hesitate to ask. I'd love to share what I learned over the past week.
      11-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #2
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Above

I've got that monitor. Its pretty good.

Only thing i wasn't too happy with was the fact that dvi and vga gave the same image quality, i thought dvi would have been better.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
teej361
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
I have the dell monitor. Love it.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

For the extra few bucks, I'd go for the HP monitor. Dell stuff seems very cheap and low quality to me - like an 80's Chrysler interior... I have Dell laptop for work and it's such a POS...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 05:35 AM   #5
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

DELL's monitors are great. If it's just for a computer/desk then 24" is perfect.

BUT... if this is your bedroom, another good set up would be a 37"+ LCD monitor which would double as a tv. You could keep it clean and have that monitor do everything.

http://www.buy.com/prod/new-westingh...205467075.html
      11-11-2008, 08:37 AM   #6
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post
DELL's monitors are great. If it's just for a computer/desk then 24" is perfect.

BUT... if this is your bedroom, another good set up would be a 37"+ LCD monitor which would double as a tv. You could keep it clean and have that monitor do everything.

http://www.buy.com/prod/new-westingh...205467075.html
I'm sorry, but this would be a total mistake for anyone. You can't use a 37" television as a computer monitor. You'll kill your eyes, and its just too damn big. If you want to read a website, itll be like reading a billboard from 3 ft away. You'll have to move your entire head to see the different parts of it.

I just got my 24" HP LP2475w, and its massive. Sitting at my computer desk I would say it is the absolute top of the size spectrum for effective monitor sizes. Anything bigger would be too big. Especially for a bedroom.
      11-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
BSM 335I
Sir Boost-a-Lot
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I'm sorry, but this would be a total mistake for anyone. You can't use a 37" television as a computer monitor. You'll kill your eyes, and its just too damn big. If you want to read a website, itll be like reading a billboard from 3 ft away. You'll have to move your entire head to see the different parts of it.

I just got my 24" HP LP2475w, and its massive. Sitting at my computer desk I would say it is the absolute top of the size spectrum for effective monitor sizes. Anything bigger would be too big. Especially for a bedroom.
Thats's why you have a wireless keyboard and mouse so that you can sit on your couch in comfort and surf the web and whatever else on the computer. It's a luxury feature. 37" is not that big if you think about it we have projectors that produce a 72" display. It's just a matter of the displays settings and graphics card.

P.S. Why do you think Sony has a all-in-one TV/DVD/Computer system?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #8
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Would you really be able to read text from that far away? aka websurfing.

From my experience, it is impossible to read text in the form of a webpage from a TV.
      11-12-2008, 06:50 AM   #9
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

How old are you?

I don't mean that as an insult by any means, but most of my friends (mid 20's) and I that are into computers, games, movies and the whole entertainment system thing all prefer set ups like this. If you had your own apartment then you'd have a nice big TV in your living room with a separate computer/monitor, and then a smaller TV in your bedroom. BUT if you have a roommate, dorming or anything like that, then it's totally feasible to have a small 20-22" monitor with a 36"+ LCD mounted to your wall. They'd all be connected so you'd have 2 monitors, and one doubling as a TV.

It's just a way of making the most of your space, and setting up an incredibly versatile system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM 335I View Post
Thats's why you have a wireless keyboard and mouse so that you can sit on your couch in comfort and surf the web and whatever else on the computer. It's a luxury feature. 37" is not that big if you think about it we have projectors that produce a 72" display. It's just a matter of the displays settings and graphics card.

P.S. Why do you think Sony has a all-in-one TV/DVD/Computer system?

Yeah, it's totally a luxury... and a nice one at that. Plus now with the prices dropping on these LCD's, you can have a set up like that for under $900! (a 37" LCD tv/monitor + an additional 22" monitor) Also..Apple, and Dell both have pretty awesome 30" monitors as well... and those are primarily meant to sit on a computer desk, so yeah, 37" isn't that crazy.
      11-12-2008, 08:57 AM   #10
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
How old are you?

I don't mean that as an insult by any means, but most of my friends (mid 20's) and I that are into computers, games, movies and the whole entertainment system thing all prefer set ups like this. If you had your own apartment then you'd have a nice big TV in your living room with a separate computer/monitor, and then a smaller TV in your bedroom. BUT if you have a roommate, dorming or anything like that, then it's totally feasible to have a small 20-22" monitor with a 36"+ LCD mounted to your wall. They'd all be connected so you'd have 2 monitors, and one doubling as a TV.

It's just a way of making the most of your space, and setting up an incredibly versatile system.
I'm 24.

I've just never been able to read text cleanly on televisions. I just finished college not too long ago, but when I lived in my dorm room I never had 2 monitors. Our dorms at the school I went to were much to small for that. I could barely fit my desktop computer in there. Plus, I try not to be too frugal. I just couldn't justify buying a television of any kind while I was in school. Any show I wanted to watch could typically be found via torrents. As a result, I didn't watch TV at all for the whole 4 years I was in college. Even on breaks I rarely watched it. Now that I'm out, I still don't watch much of it. I turn on something while I'm cooking but thats about it.

I don't really see the need of having a 36" TV doubling as a second monitor. Everybody is different though, and if you can websurf and do everything else you need to do on that setup then more power to you.
      11-12-2008, 12:39 PM   #11
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

My brother picked up an Acer 24" about 5 months ago for ~$400

Does not come w/ speakers, but has HDMI port. We use it for the comp and the Xbox360

Only bad thing he now has a few dead pixels, sending it back this week.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 06:57 AM   #12
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm 24.

I've just never been able to read text cleanly on televisions. I just finished college not too long ago, but when I lived in my dorm room I never had 2 monitors. Our dorms at the school I went to were much to small for that. I could barely fit my desktop computer in there. Plus, I try not to be too frugal. I just couldn't justify buying a television of any kind while I was in school. Any show I wanted to watch could typically be found via torrents. As a result, I didn't watch TV at all for the whole 4 years I was in college. Even on breaks I rarely watched it. Now that I'm out, I still don't watch much of it. I turn on something while I'm cooking but thats about it.

I don't really see the need of having a 36" TV doubling as a second monitor. Everybody is different though, and if you can websurf and do everything else you need to do on that setup then more power to you.
Fair enough... I'm a big TV junkie, and watch a lot of stuff downloaded off torrents, so it's just nice to just have everything connected. The tv monitor as a computer monitor isn't very praticle, but if you're on the more extreme end of setting up some crazy system, then it's a nice option.
      11-14-2008, 08:28 AM   #13
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Fair enough... I'm a big TV junkie, and watch a lot of stuff downloaded off torrents, so it's just nice to just have everything connected. The tv monitor as a computer monitor isn't very praticle, but if you're on the more extreme end of setting up some crazy system, then it's a nice option.
      11-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #14
e90dream
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

i've been computing in my living room with a 50" panny plasma for 3 years now. resolution set at 1366 x 768. surf the web all the time from my couch, about 6 ft away
      12-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #15
TTexan
Verizon Expert
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 JB 335i

I have the Dell, I like it. It came w/ t he PC I bought.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 11:22 AM   #16
kronzprinz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

i have two of those and they're good, dell's other products might be crap but the dell monitors are some of the nicest out there
Appreciate 0