mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
good luck getting a gt3 allocation. i went in with my ferrari and had zero chance of getting an allocation with all the rules and preferred customers they have.
Any other car and you would probably have had more luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 06:50 AM   #24
Petlizard
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C63 BS; LC500; F Pace SVR; P8

OP: I have a similar thought as you (between 570, NSX, 911 turbo, and an AMG GT variant) so I went and test drove a 570s a few weeks back. It was a 17' convertible with sports exhaust. Drove it for about 20 minutes and the sales manager riding with me had me pushed it to 110mph on a straight. I then drove a 18' AMG GT the following week. And here's the strange part, the GT felt more special to me. I know it doesn't make any sense but I preferred the GT over the 570s, and it's just the base version too, not S or C or R. I need to go back and re drive the 570 again to make sure I'm not going crazy. Any how, between the three cars you listed I'd vote for the 570.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 09:15 AM   #25
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
good luck getting a gt3 allocation. i went in with my ferrari and had zero chance of getting an allocation with all the rules and preferred customers they have.
Really? My colleague at work got one and he just went to the dealership where he had bought a Porsche in the past.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #26
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

AMG GT-R
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 02:21 PM   #27
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Have driven the 570S, 991.1 GT3, and standard V10 R8. My thoughts-

I would be inclined to say the GT3 if it were manual. That may be the tipping point for me, though the retained value would be a major plus. Hard to beat that razor sharp, howling N/A engine and manual transmission.

If the GT3 in question were PDK, I pick the 570S. It is such a glorious machine. So devoid of the 'speed/performance at all costs' mentality that plagues other cars. It feels wholly natural, engaging, precise, and fun. The responsiveness, weight, and feeling of the controls are as close to perfect as I've ever experienced in a car. Frankly, if we were talking about any other variants of the other 2 cars in question- say, a 911 Turbo or AWD R8- it embarrasses them.

Have not driven the RWS R8, but having driven the standard car, and the older LP550-2 Gallardo, I bet it's pretty damn good. The engine is just spectacular, and almost enough reason to buy the car alone.

Really, you can't go wrong regardless of your choice. But if you had a gun to my head, and it were my own money-

1) 6MT GT3 (especially in Turing spec)
Super ultra mega close 2) 570S
3) RWS R8
4) PDK GT3
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #28
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Porsche or mclaren.

McLaren if you like the attention but TBH i'd go the GT3 because naturally aspirated and resale means you likely lose nothing after 4 years, like really, lose nothing.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 03:27 PM   #29
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

The car I would stay away from is the McLaren. I know of 2 people who had to get rid of the 570 because of service just being awful. The fit and finish is terrible. Rattles everywhere, and let's not even talk about the electrical gremlin they can't even diagnose.

Had lots of time in both cars. Owned both. Kept the R8.

The GT3 is fantastic. It's the most visceral of the bunch however, it is the least practical of the 3. Try driving it for 30 minutes on average or less then perfect roads. Try to drive it in traffic. It is brutal . The 570 probably has the best all around suspension setup and the R8 non plus is a very close second. Even though the cockpit is tight, you can drive it for reasonable distances in good comfort.

With that being said, I purchased new. There are deals to be had on the McLaren and the R8. I would call around. With the discounts to be had on the Audi and McLaren and the markup on the Gt3, the cheapest will be the R8. By a lot.

I would only omit the McLaren cause of the fit and finish issues that they have. They are brittle. Like early 2000 Ferrari sensitive.

It would come down to the GT3 and R8 for me. 2017 R8 with 12K on the dial and still loving every minute of her...
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 04:34 PM   #30
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

this is the kind of dilemmna i envy😁

you havent answered a key question...manual gt3 or pdk?

also what other sports cars are you coming from and which did you enjoy most?

this information will inform my entirely speculative response
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 09:15 PM   #31
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

Thanks everyone. I debated whether or not I should even post this but honestly it's been fun reading through comments and getting a bit of validation before pulling the trigger (even if internet validation is totally asinine).

I've had a GT3 allocation locked down for quite some time and we're getting close to the point of order and deposit being locked so I wanted to make sure I didn't have any doubts before it's too late. The 570s has been my "dream" car in recent years but practically speaking the GT3 just makes a ton more sense over the long term and I know I'll use it more. I can't imagine taking the 570s to occasional work meetings, grocery runs, etc. but the GT3 is a bit more livable while being just as fun and potent. Plus I trust the GT3 longevity more than I trust the 570s. Maybe it just means I'll have to aspire for a 600LT next.

Candidly, a new 2019 GT3 RS is the one I've been trying to lock down but haven't had any luck. One member pointed me towards a lead so we'll see how that pans out.
      07-18-2018, 09:21 PM   #32
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep

Quote:
Porsche dealers have been playing a ton of games in recent years. If you spend some time finding the "good guy" dealers you'll have better luck but usually word spreads and they have long waiting lists.

I know some folks who finally got a GT3 or even GT3 RS this time around that have been on the list for 4-5 years but got their cars at MSRP as promised.

I called about 24 dealers. Met a lot of interesting SAs for better or for worse. Got lucky with one smaller market dealer that added me to their list and honored my spot when extra allocations popped up. Others that promised me MSRP suddenly wanted markups. It's all about casting a wide net and finding the good ones.
      07-19-2018, 07:07 AM   #33
Spoonman
Registered
Rep
Drives: R8 RWS

My observation.
You have 32 replys here and three actually own one of these cars. The least desireable R8 is the correct car. I also bought one. So three for three picked R8. However the ones wishing for a car didnt pick it...lol

This is alot like asking a crowd of dudes....pick a girlfriend out of this lineup....or pick a wife out of this lineup. Then see who got married and what they picked.

The ones that got married bought the R8 three for three.
The ones that picked girlfriends didnt. The ones that picked girlfriends may NEVER get married.

Aka armchair quarterback comes to mind.

A tuned rws is 630 hp and 150lbs lighter. Yet is a beautiful daily driver.
Track car go mclaren
Exclusive car investment go porsche. Although i refuse to play cars like an investment.
Keeping it real in all aspects of a drivers car that does so many things right. R8
Appreciate 2
Flacht31135.00
bm4w144.50
      07-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #34
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I figured from the Op you had a Porsche spot locked down.

I agree we are all arm chair quarterbacks but for track days, i can't go past the Porsche, go NA before it's too late.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 04:47 PM   #35
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Couple things that I'd like to clarify:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
You have 32 replys here and three actually own one of these cars. The least desireable R8 is the correct car. I also bought one. So three for three picked R8.
1) The OP asked what we, as members of this forum, would choose. He didn't specifically ask current owners of those cars what they think. If so, then yes, 3 people would've chimed in and picked the R8 RWS.

Quote:
However the ones wishing for a car didnt pick it...lol
2) It may be me interpreting this a bit funny, but it sounds like you're insinuating that the people who didn't pick the R8 are "dreamers", or perhaps can't afford those cars. Not sure what that has to do with anything, but I'm sure plenty of people here can afford an R8 RWS (cheaper than the AWD), GT3, or even a 570S. If we were faced with that decision like the OP is, we've aired out what we would choose.
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 06:52 PM   #36
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
My observation.
You have 32 replys here and three actually own one of these cars. The least desireable R8 is the correct car. I also bought one. So three for three picked R8. However the ones wishing for a car didnt pick it...lol

This is alot like asking a crowd of dudes....pick a girlfriend out of this lineup....or pick a wife out of this lineup. Then see who got married and what they picked.

The ones that got married bought the R8 three for three.
The ones that picked girlfriends didnt. The ones that picked girlfriends may NEVER get married.

Aka armchair quarterback comes to mind.

A tuned rws is 630 hp and 150lbs lighter. Yet is a beautiful daily driver.
Track car go mclaren
Exclusive car investment go porsche. Although i refuse to play cars like an investment.
Keeping it real in all aspects of a drivers car that does so many things right. R8
Gt3 > r8
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 09:19 AM   #37
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_DM View Post
Thanks everyone. I debated whether or not I should even post this but honestly it's been fun reading through comments and getting a bit of validation before pulling the trigger (even if internet validation is totally asinine).

I've had a GT3 allocation locked down for quite some time and we're getting close to the point of order and deposit being locked so I wanted to make sure I didn't have any doubts before it's too late. The 570s has been my "dream" car in recent years but practically speaking the GT3 just makes a ton more sense over the long term and I know I'll use it more. I can't imagine taking the 570s to occasional work meetings, grocery runs, etc. but the GT3 is a bit more livable while being just as fun and potent. Plus I trust the GT3 longevity more than I trust the 570s. Maybe it just means I'll have to aspire for a 600LT next.

Candidly, a new 2019 GT3 RS is the one I've been trying to lock down but haven't had any luck. One member pointed me towards a lead so we'll see how that pans out.
Passes on dream car then says can't imagine taking it to work or store, but thinks taking a GT3 is more practical.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 05:27 PM   #38
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Passes on dream car then says can't imagine taking it to work or store, but thinks taking a GT3 is more practical.
Not sure where you're going with this...but it's hard to argue that a GT3 isn't more sensible and practical than a 570s in almost every way.

To many non-enthusiasts the GT3 is just another 911, and some people appreciate the ability to blend in a bit more. Plus in terms of maintenance (both in cost and reliability) a GT3 is definitely a more sensible winner.

And although the 570s has been the "dream car" for a hot minute, these things tend to change. I'm already plotting ways to get a 600LT in a few years
      07-30-2018, 12:20 AM   #39
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: plenty

I have a R8 V10+.
I've driven it for about... 1 month and put 2000 miles on her.
I also put a race exhaust on it. (No resonators, mufflers, or 2nd cats so yeah, it's VERY VERY loud).

Best purchase ever. And I've owned PLENTY of cars. 570s is an unreliable nightmare to own if anything breaks, check the mclarenlife forums for proof.
GT3 is a GREAT car, but it does ride rough and is a bit more bland in terms of street presence. It does keep it's value very well. Personally, I'd give up a GT3 for my R8 after driving both extensively. R8 is comfier, faster, better looking and still handles like go-cart plus V10 noise is intoxicating (especially since mine sounds like an R8 LMS car!).
Appreciate 0