BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #1
bcroadster
Canada
Rep
Drives: I8

I8 Roadster

Had the 1st gen I8 (2014}.Loved it but needed a change.Got ferrari 488 GTB love it.
Jus received i8 roadster wow wow wow ,Amazing car, wow what a difference.I very much doubt this car will be easy to get used, as I for sure will never sell it ,great improvements, will post pics soon
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Can you give a quick recap of how is it so different? I am on the verge of decicing on cancelling mine and any input is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #3
bcroadster
Canada
Rep

I was in the same frame of mind wanted to cancel but thought id take a look .Man it sure is different from the drivers seat ,its not the same experience as the i8 coup.I hate drop tops due to heat sun directly on me .But this puppy is very well designed its creates a tub like experience where you can control the environment very well. its very silent with the top off .Performance is improved and it has an extra sport mode that works great.I got the First edition so its loaded I would not order it any other way.Best car I've ever driven simply put.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #4
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroadster View Post
it has an extra sport mode that works great.I got the First edition so its loaded I would not order it any other way.Best car I've ever driven simply put.
I'm curious about the "extra" sport mode. First time I've heard of that, which is not present on my 2019 coupe. Can you explain what it is and how it is engaged?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 10:40 PM   #5
bcroadster
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
I'm curious about the "extra" sport mode. First time I've heard of that, which is not present on my 2019 coupe. Can you explain what it is and how it is engaged?
When you put it in manual mode it gives a different sound and tightens the steering more like a race mode, is a better discription . you don't need to change gears manually, it has a really neat program that does it for you .you also get the rev meeter on the hud. Well done BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #6
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroadster View Post
When you put it in manual mode it gives a different sound and tightens the steering more like a race mode, is a better discription . you don't need to change gears manually, it has a really neat program that does it for you .you also get the rev meeter on the hud. Well done BMW
Given your description, I'm not sure there is a difference between the coupe and the roadster in this regard. The only thing you mentioned that I'm not sure about is a different sound for the engine note. The only difference I can tell on my coupe is the sound of the rev blips when down shifting in manual sport mode. Does your sound actually change as soon as you engage manual shifting?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 10:26 PM   #7
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 i7 and '23 M8 Competition

Love it! Just took delivery today.
Attached Images

2021 M8 Competition - Frozen Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 03:04 AM   #8
bcroadster
Canada
Rep

Congratulations! beautiful car
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 02:13 PM   #9
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwestfield View Post
Beautiful car. Congratulations.

Been a few years since you and I were anxiously tracking delivery of our 2014 i8's. Looks like you've had a couple of them already and now a third. I had to wait a while for mine, but finally got a 2019 coupe a couple months ago. It was definitely worth the wait. I'll be interested to hear your comparison of the 2019 roadster to your earlier i8's.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 05:19 PM   #10
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 i7 and '23 M8 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwestfield View Post
Beautiful car. Congratulations.

Been a few years since you and I were anxiously tracking delivery of our 2014 i8's. Looks like you've had a couple of them already and now a third. I had to wait a while for mine, but finally got a 2019 coupe a couple months ago. It was definitely worth the wait. I'll be interested to hear your comparison of the 2019 roadster to your earlier i8's.
Thx! And yes, it was a few years ago we were tracking our very first ones!!

At first drive, this one seems more energetic, interior is more refined, fluid, and definitely nicer, and they fixed some of the issues with first few models. Still no display key. Door is a little different. On this roadster, trunk is tinier than ever! Elec seats are nice. Still no electric steering wheel adjustments. Touch screen nice.

2021 M8 Competition - Frozen Grey
Appreciate 0