BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

06-29-2018, 11:04 PM   #1
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Dear BMW, Please Deceive Me

If the stringent CAFE and other fuel economy and emissions regulations don't allow you to build the cars we enthusiasts would prefer, perhaps you can integrate some really good features that fake me out to think I'm driving the car I prefer. Allow me to explain.

I have been a huge BMW fan for years. I am a huge fan of performance cars in general. I watch professional motorsports events. I am lucky that I live in a location that allows me to test out the best performance cars on earth, and buy whatever I like. Like some here, I go beyond simply being a fan of professional motorsports and I participate in non-professional motorsports activities whenever possible.

I am not here to complain and my opinion is probably worthless but given the direction you are going, I'm having trouble liking the new cars you are making, even though you now have more model and sub model and sub sub model offerings than ever before.

Like most fans of motorsports, we like cars with certain qualitative characteristics: great driving dynamics, a car with a soul, connected nimble steering, a high revving powerful engine, intoxicating sound, a transmission that shifts lightning fast and a chassis and driveline that gets the power to the ground, and others. You have many of these attributes in your performance cars...but you used to have them ALL.

I think there is general consensus about what attributes are currently lacking - a high revving powerful internal combustion engine (ICE) and the intoxicating sound that comes with it. Stringent regulations no longer allow you to build the cars of the past. Despite that progress+technology has allowed your cars to get faster. Better? Well that's an altogether different debate altogether. So let me stay on topic.

The goal of efficiency resulting from CAFE and other worldwide regulations has forced the evolution to smaller turbocharged ICEs, and in the case of the i8 and now newer models, combination of the ICE with a rechargeable battery. This is not negotiable. It's required by law. We understand.

So how can you, BMW, give me everything I want? At the i8 pricepoint, there are some incredible cars. McLaren 570 with a flat plane v8...Porshe's iconic flat 6s: 911 Turbo and 911 GT3. Event the hybrid powered Acura NSX blows away the i8 in performance and has the engine and sound attributes we enthusiasts want.

You can't change the i8. But actually you can. Just Deceive Me.

What am I talking about? Hear me out.

You already pump in fake sound. And you already provide multiple driving modes with a HUD that can change from blue to red in an instant. Right?

So why can't you give me many more modes to choose from that literally deceives me into thinking I'm driving something I'm not. F1 mode? Yes please....pump in the sound of one of your F1 engines of the past. Maybe I'm not quite ready for F1 mode...ok how about selecting the sound of your naturally aspired v10 screamer from the e60 M5/6. Or perhaps the inline 4 from the first gen M3. See, it wouldn't take much to capture and provide the option of pumping in the sounds of your iconic motors of the past. Accompany that sound with a unique HUD display accordingly. Sure the i8 1.5 ICE revs to a dismally low rpm before it runs out of steam and shifts to the next gear....but in F1 mode, double the rpm on the display to make me think it's revving to 12,000. Is it really revving to 12,000 rpm? Of course not. But with a visceral F1 sound and a display that says I'm nearing 12,000...guaranteed it will be thrilling.

Years ago I took control of the ECU of my e92 335 and created a linear boost profile....boost was correlated to rpm. While it wasn't naturally aspired, I made it feel that way. I could change maps on the fly. It was fun and gave the car a few different personalities. Incorporating mapping changes in different modes to make the power delivery correspond with the sound/display would be very complimentary.

Fake? Yes. Sacrilege? Maybe. But I think changing the experience is going to be necessary in not just the i8 but all offerings....particularly if you continue the trend of the smaller and smaller ICE.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to mention today. I was to thank you for some amazing BMWs that I have previously and currently own. I wish you continued success and I look forward to you making something that will continue to put a smile on my face.

Cheers.

Adam
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 2
      06-29-2018, 11:16 PM   #2
vance
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Have you heard a stock NSX without an aftermarket exhaust (like Fabspeed)? It sounds awful, arguably better than the i8 fake sound at best. That being said, I think the biggest downsides to the i8 are obviously the lackluster performance at this price point but also the lack of a roaring exhaust sound. There’s nothing more disappointing than someone asking you to cold start the car or let them hear a rev and expecting to hear a Ferrari exhaust. Even with my Maxhaust mod (which is worlds better than stock i8 sound), it doesn’t come close to replicating a true exotic sounding exhaust. Having owned my i8 for a while now has basically solidified my choice for my next car being a straight piped Aventador
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

With you on this one LongBoarder.

One of my biggest hassles with the i8 is the lack of customisation you can do in the software - in this day and age it's just an insult, right down to the limited LED colours on the dash. BMW sticking to the old approach of 'buy a newer car' if you want newer features just don't work in the world where everyone has tablets/smartphones/laptops etc... Tesla (I don't like their styling at all) get big credit here for maxxing the software updates.

Of course an ICE that revs to 8 or 9k RPM would be appreciated and I'm sure even be profitable for BMW to make such a thing as I'm sure one could easily find its way into other BMWs of the future (Mini M? or even M3?). I think BMW missed a trick here on the LCI models, battery tech is a long way off being production ready for all-electric BMWs , a high-revving 3 pot could have been the masterpiece to fill the gap for the next 10 years - power and efficiency, taking the i8 forward and most other performance BMWs with it.

Personally I love my i8 and think it is a remarkable car, very misunderstood and was a brave move by BMW. But, a high-revving ICE and software that doesn't treat me like a 3 year old and it would be close to perfect.
JasH621.00
      07-02-2018, 05:23 PM   #4
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGR View Post
With you on this one LongBoarder.

One of my biggest hassles with the i8 is the lack of customisation you can do in the software - in this day and age it's just an insult, right down to the limited LED colours on the dash. BMW sticking to the old approach of 'buy a newer car' if you want newer features just don't work in the world where everyone has tablets/smartphones/laptops etc... Tesla (I don't like their styling at all) get big credit here for maxxing the software updates.

Agree 100% with this bit Really puts me off buying the next one.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 11:40 AM   #5
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Well how 'bout that...nice starting point.
Attached Images

a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
drewjevans
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Audi Q7, Jeep XJ

Best post I've read in a very long time. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 09:01 PM   #7
PaulDhillon
Rep
Drives: Audi A7, BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vance View Post
Have you heard a stock NSX without an aftermarket exhaust (like Fabspeed)? It sounds awful, arguably better than the i8 fake sound at best. That being said, I think the biggest downsides to the i8 are obviously the lackluster performance at this price point but also the lack of a roaring exhaust sound. There’s nothing more disappointing than someone asking you to cold start the car or let them hear a rev and expecting to hear a Ferrari exhaust. Even with my Maxhaust mod (which is worlds better than stock i8 sound), it doesn’t come close to replicating a true exotic sounding exhaust. Having owned my i8 for a while now has basically solidified my choice for my next car being a straight piped Aventador
I just got the FI valvetronic titanium exhaust installed on me. It doesn't sound bad actually.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 04:00 AM   #8
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Guys your time is over. Enjoy what you like while you can but the future is free of combustion, silent, sustainable and autonomous in 25 years. It doesn't matter if batteries, fuel cells or superconductors in the streets power the electrical engines. Electrical they are going to be. Try the Formula E to get used to it slowly.

I am sad to be the one to break the news for you but you are dinosaurs and about to go extinct.

Appreciate 1