Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

11-03-2021, 06:41 AM   #375
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgixxer View Post
Thanks brother,I just try to stay in *slightly* better shape than the other 52yr olds
Yeah man, same here. I'm far from where I want to be, but that won't stop me from getting after it.
Appreciate 2
chassis6373.50
Dang3r12503.00
      11-03-2021, 11:09 AM   #376
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Thanks @3pedaljake. Metabolic flexibility is the goal, and keto/intermittent fasting/time restricted eating is the means to achieve the goal. Is this the correct understanding?
Appreciate 1
3PedalJake2613.50
      11-05-2021, 05:29 AM   #377
MariaAllen
Banned
Rep
Drives: Ford F30

I'll recommend you just 3 things:

1- Diet.
2- Exercise.
3- Sleep.
Appreciate 2
chassis6373.50
Sara5775.50
      11-07-2021, 12:15 PM   #378
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Thanks @3pedaljake. Metabolic flexibility is the goal, and keto/intermittent fasting/time restricted eating is the means to achieve the goal. Is this the correct understanding?
That is my take on it. Disclaimer, I don't have any medical credentials, this is my belief after several years of self study. If you can transition smoothly between feasting and fasting you'll never have to be concerned with the specifics of "diets", that will just take care of itself. Understanding the role of Insulin is the biggest step you can take in deciphering nutrition as a whole. Keto and fasting are just the most expedient way to get there.
Appreciate 2
arkie6397.00
chassis6373.50
      12-03-2021, 05:38 AM   #379
salmandoherty
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: WV passat 2006

Gym and healthy food is the best way to lost weigh, bro
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      12-04-2021, 08:18 AM   #380
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

I think fasting is just the current fad and unless the research has changed it can really mess up your metabolism.

Ultimately it's not about losing weight. it's the ratio of muscle : fat.

Muscle burns calories.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 2
Sara5775.50
chassis6373.50
      12-04-2021, 06:11 PM   #381
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
I think fasting is just the current fad and unless the research has changed it can really mess up your metabolism.

Muscle burns calories.
From an evolutionary perspective fasting is the norm, it's a condition we evolved under, the difference being historically it was not voluntary fasting. What is a "fad" is our current 24/7/365 supply of endless variety of food. Voluntary fasting can be challenging at first, not because fasting "messes up your metabolism", but because your metabolism is already compromised from an excess of feasting and zero fasting.
The body stores energy in 2 ways, first could be considered your capacitor, it is carbs stored in the liver and muscle tissue as Glycogen with a capacity of a few hundred grams. Second is as adipose tissue (fat), this is your battery. Too frequent eating and no fasting conditions your metabolism for a constant stream of energy input leaving no need to retrieve from storage, insulin levels stay high and you are effectively locked out of using your stored energy. This is a "messed up" metabolism, and is the condition that the majority find themselves in today. You should be able to seamlessly transition from a fed state to using your glycogen stores to metabolizing fat stores with no appreciable change in metabolic rate. For prolonged fasts, once you're able to do them, basal energy expenditure actually increases after around 36 hours.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2021, 07:45 PM   #382
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalJake View Post
Quote:

Muscle burns calories.
From an evolutionary perspective fasting is the norm, it's a condition we evolved under, the difference being historically it was not voluntary fasting. What is a "fad" is our current 24/7/365 supply of endless variety of food. Voluntary fasting can be challenging at first, not because fasting "messes up your metabolism", but because your metabolism is already compromised from an excess of feasting and zero fasting.
The body stores energy in 2 ways, first could be considered your capacitor, it is carbs stored in the liver and muscle tissue as Glycogen with a capacity of a few hundred grams. Second is as adipose tissue (fat), this is your battery. Too frequent eating and no fasting conditions your metabolism for a constant stream of energy input leaving no need to retrieve from storage, insulin levels stay high and you are effectively locked out of using your stored energy. This is a "messed up" metabolism, and is the condition that the majority find themselves in today. You should be able to seamlessly transition from a fed state to using your glycogen stores to metabolizing fat stores with no appreciable change in metabolic rate. For prolonged fasts, once you're able to do them, basal energy expenditure actually increases after around 36 hours.
Yes being in a negative caloric state was the norm however that doesn't mean it should be mimicked. Fasting, as I understand it, can cause a reduction in your post-fast metabolism. It creates a circle where the more you fast the easier it is to put the weight back on. It's less noticeable when you're younger because the metabolism is at a higher starting point. It's why for example a lot of inactive people gain more weight when they go off some low caloric fad diet.

In the end it's about burning as much or more than what you're consuming and managing insulin as well as corrtisol (sp?) levels.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 08:12 PM   #383
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes being in a negative caloric state was the norm however that doesn't mean it should be mimicked. Fasting, as I understand it, can cause a reduction in your post-fast metabolism. It creates a circle where the more you fast the easier it is to put the weight back on. It's less noticeable when you're younger because the metabolism is at a higher starting point. It's why for example a lot of inactive people gain more weight when they go off some low caloric fad diet.

In the end it's about burning as much or more than what you're consuming and managing insulin as well as corrtisol (sp?) levels.
Being in a negative caloric state long term could never have been the norm, there would have been feasting along with the fasting, so caloric sufficiency would be the long term trend. Our ancestors certainly went through constant cycles of abundance and lack, in your scenario they would have become fat and lethargic. Fasting doesn't cause any metabolic slowdown, that is caused by chronic caloric insufficiency aka "dieting". Eating to satiety then fasting is the direct opposite of chronic calorie deprivation, and the hormonal response is entirely different as well.

Agree with the last paragraph, controlling hormone levels is the key to it.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 03:05 PM   #384
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I need to lose 10 pounds of fat and add 10 pounds of muscle. I'd like to complain to whoever for not making this possible at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 05:52 PM   #385
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
I need to lose 10 pounds of fat and add 10 pounds of muscle. I'd like to complain to whoever for not making this possible at the same time.
Speaking from experience, losing fat is easier than adding muscle.

I started cycling about 3-1/2 years ago and dropped 80lbs the first year. I keep it off by continuing to ride 100 miles/week, but I've stopped counting calories (which is a nice way of saying I eat whatever I want now), so the weight loss has stopped. But riding allows me to maintain my current weight.

I've no doubt strengthened my leg muscles from all the riding, but riding a bike does nada for your upper body strength. I really need to find the motivation to do some upper body and core exercises regularly.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 3
chassis6373.50
King Rudi13152.00
Dang3r12503.00
      12-14-2021, 06:54 AM   #386
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post

I started cycling about 3-1/2 years ago and dropped 80lbs the first year. I keep it off by continuing to ride 100 miles/week, but I've stopped counting calories (which is a nice way of saying I eat whatever I want now), so the weight loss has stopped. But riding allows me to maintain my current weight.

I've no doubt strengthened my leg muscles from all the riding, but riding a bike does nada for your upper body strength. I really need to find the motivation to do some upper body and core exercises regularly.
Good for you sir!

I started the gym 3 years ago last month. You are 100% correct on losing fat is easier than building muscle. I'm 45, around 145 (I stopped weighing myself) and BMI (guessing around 13% BF at the moment, just started a bulk cycle) is unknown at this point. Aside from the lingering lose skin/tiny bit of fat left, I'm pretty lean.

When I started the gym I had dropped from 240 to 211 in the prior months. I lost all the big fat really fast. Eating 1500 cal/day and doing an hour of cardio 5 days a week. I dropped 70 pounds in a matter of a few months. It's crazy looking back at pictures. December 200 pounds, March 130. I also made myself crazy catabolic. If I sat down for 5 minutes and something wasn't keeping my attention, I feel asleep. At work, watching TV, etc. This is not the way to lose weight, but I did it. My weight resistance training, in the first year, was 30 minutes of weights, and then an hour of cardio...intense cardio. I'm talking 1100 - 1250 calories burned. Let's not discuss the amount of preworkout and other caffeine I was abusing. There were seriously times that I would get off one elliptical or treadmill and jump on the one next to it so I didn't have to wait on the computer to reset. The clocks only go to 1 hour 15 minutes on treadmills and ellipticals btw.

Now, I reversed the entire process. I do no form of cardio as I'm trying to use every calorie I can to build muscle. I'll do occasional cardio when cutting. The goal is to get to about 155 and between 10-12% BF. September I was 137 at 8.3%. Lots of work to be done.
Appreciate 1
M_Six16536.50
      12-14-2021, 08:43 AM   #387
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Steriods. That is about all that will allow that at your BF % haha.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
F32Fleet3539.50
      12-14-2021, 08:46 AM   #388
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post

Has cycling helped you build leg mass at all?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 09:19 AM   #389
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
Cycling definitely helps build leg mass, but at certain intervals it can become detrimental - similar to running. Look at the legs on a sprinter compared to a marathon runner - same goes for track cycling vs endurance cycling.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2021, 10:16 AM   #390
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
There was this girl who'd stated: I want the whole 9 inch and it had to hurt.
Simple answer: Got banged twice and booty slapped, mission accomplished

Your turn, Rudi.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      12-14-2021, 12:48 PM   #391
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
Not that it's noticeable. I do know my legs are stronger because I can maintain a constant pedal cadence now where I couldn't when I first started riding. Plus my avg speed has increased from 12-13MPH to 17MPH. But I don't think there is any more muscle mass in my legs than I had before.

That said, I don't do interval training or any other leg training other than just riding. I know you can train in such a way as to build leg muscle. I just don't do it.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 02:25 PM   #392
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
.....There were seriously times that I would get off one elliptical or treadmill and jump on the one next to it so I didn't have to wait on the computer to reset. The clocks only go to 1 hour 15 minutes on treadmills and ellipticals btw.
Lol, that's crazy man. I own my own elliptical trainer (Life Fitness) and treadmill (Landice) and they aren't limited to 75 minutes so that's one way around that.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      12-14-2021, 02:28 PM   #393
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Lol, that's crazy man. I own my own elliptical trainer (Life Fitness) and treadmill (Landice) and they aren't limited to 75 minutes so that's one way around that.
Yeah man, I used to watch people come in the gym and finish their workout before I was halfway through my cardio. Pansies.
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12786.50
      12-14-2021, 02:33 PM   #394
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Yeah man, I used to watch people come in the gym and finish their workout before I was halfway through my cardio. Pansies.
Haha. I'll bet a good chunk of their time was devoted to their phone and trying to cue up their music before even setting foot on either apparatus. Pansies indeed.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      12-14-2021, 02:56 PM   #395
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Haha. I'll bet a good chunk of their time was devoted to their phone and trying to cue up their music before even setting foot on either apparatus. Pansies indeed.
The new trend is to do about 3 reps of weight they can't control, then spend 15 minutes in front of the mirror taking selfies. I've started intentionally stepping in front of them and peering over their shoulders in the mirror to ruin their selfies. I've also started telling people "If you're only taking pictures, I'm going to use this."
Appreciate 2
TiMSport12786.50
Chaos236207.00
      12-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #396
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Ugh. Shit like that is why I don't like going to a gym.
Appreciate 0