LittleJoe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 xDrive 50i

Glass Controls reflect sunlight

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
This video is in another language but watch how often the sun is reflected in his face from the glass controls while driving. I want soft-close doors but may pass on them because BMW bundled soft-close doors with the glass controls.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 10:55 AM   #2
LittleJoe
Major
United_States
Rep

And this video at 29:38

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 12:49 PM   #3
ggalanis
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
This video is in another language but watch how often the sun is reflected in his face from the glass controls while driving. I want soft-close doors but may pass on them because BMW bundled soft-close doors with the glass controls.

Happens right now with the glass shifter in my X5 but it will likely happen more often with the controls on the doors. I really don't think it is that big of a deal since you can move your head ever so slightly to avoid it, but I get that some may really be annoyed.

Someone on another thread joked around about painting them black.... but I think if it does bother people, you could likely add a tint film over them to make them smoky and I think that would really look nice and reduce the glare.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 01:10 PM   #4
slampert
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 -X5

Yes, too bad the glass controls are not an "a la carte" option as they were on the 2020 X5. I don't want to forgo the soft closing doors or the center console upgrade.

Don't forget your shades !
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 01:13 PM   #5
LittleJoe
Major
United_States
Rep

I'm going to pass on the glass controls. I can live without soft-close doors.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 12:00 PM   #6
daswartz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i xdrive, GT350

Quote:
I'm going to pass on the glass controls. I can live without soft-close doors.
BMW has had crystal/glass knobs for a long time. The guys who bashed the crystal controls in the videos were pretty negative in general. I watched at least a dozen of the videos and 2 of the 12+ were down on them. Could I live without them? Heck yeah, but it is my wife's car and she wants them. We'll see...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 01:25 PM   #7
LittleJoe
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daswartz View Post
BMW has had crystal/glass knobs for a long time. The guys who bashed the crystal controls in the videos were pretty negative in general. I watched at least a dozen of the videos and 2 of the 12+ were down on them. Could I live without them? Heck yeah, but it is my wife's car and she wants them. We'll see...
We have the crystal shifter and iDrive controller in our X7 but in general, using crystal in the car is not the issue. It is the placement of the crystal parts in the iX that is causing several reviewers to say pass on them. Of course the glare may not bother everyone but for me it's not worth the risk. And personally, I like the look of the black center control panel over the wood look. But to each his own and your wife wants the bling, the bling it shall be.
Appreciate 1
ggalanis219.50
      11-15-2021, 01:58 PM   #8
ggalanis
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i, 1989 325ic

Quote:
We have the crystal shifter and iDrive controller in our X7 but in general, using crystal in the car is not the issue. It is the placement of the crystal parts in the iX that is causing several reviewers to say pass on them. Of course the glare may not bother everyone but for me it's not worth the risk. And personally, I like the look of the black center control panel over the wood look. But to each his own and your wife wants the bling, the bling it shall be.
I too believe that the placement of them on the door causes the problem in more lighting conditions than where the X5/X7 have the crystals. The reason that so many reviews complained about it, is that a lot of them all did their test drive on the same day, following the same pre-determined route, in the same conditions at around the same time of day. So they all had the opportunity to experience it happening.

Honestly if you are on the fence, I would hold off on deciding for good until I could see how they both look and compare. With my X5 I originally hesitated with the crystal stuff but when I saw the two options in person, it helped me decide to go for it. You may not be in love with the crystal stuff, but you may hate the alternative more.
Appreciate 0