Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-03-2022, 05:40 PM   #89
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Really well for an Asian.

I would like to thank this thread for the entertainment and helping me get through the work day. Carry on party people.
Appreciate 8
Sedan_Clan25113.50
///MPhatic13862.50
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
tcphoto3537.00
Dino GT35134.50
minn1914037.50
      02-03-2022, 05:40 PM   #90
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328dx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Your reading comprehension sucks.

In both instances it was a RECKLESS DRIVING issue because of the willful and wanton disregard of the actions. Did you even read the articles?!? Pulling in front of another vehicle and slamming on the brakes is different than a brake check.
Did I read the articles? Did you?

Video of the incident shows the 2006 Infiniti M35x traveling between 22 and 29 miles per hour north up Van Houten Avenue before the driver was stopped.

The officer admits in the recording that he braked only because he felt the motorist behind him was following too closely. As a result, the driver was forced to brake quickly in the middle of the road.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 05:44 PM   #91
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdnb View Post
Quote:
Your reading comprehension sucks.

In both instances it was a RECKLESS DRIVING issue because of the willful and wanton disregard of the actions. Did you even read the articles?!? Pulling in front of another vehicle and slamming on the brakes is different than a brake check.
Did I read the articles? Did you?

Video of the incident shows the 2006 Infiniti M35x traveling between 22 and 29 miles per hour north up Van Houten Avenue before the driver was stopped.

The officer admits in the recording that he braked only because he felt the motorist behind him was following too closely. As a result, the driver was forced to brake quickly in the middle of the road.
Again, SLAMMING on the brakes is different than a brake check, which any rational person would describe as a brief tap of the brakes just to initiate the brake lights. SLAMMING on the brakes purposely, nearly causing a collision is a willful and wanton act. Pulling in front of a school bus and slamming on the brakes is a willful and wanton act. Those behaviors are reckless driving behaviors. I feel like I'm talking to a child.
Appreciate 4
minn1914037.50
DETRoadster11462.50
chowser512025.00
      02-03-2022, 05:47 PM   #92
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Again, SLAMMING on the brakes is different than a brake check, which any rational person would describe as a brief tap of the brakes just to initiate the brake lights. SLAMMING on the brakes purposely, causing a collision is a willful and wanton act. Pulling in front of a school bus and slamming on the brakes is a willful and wanton act. I feel like I'm talking to a child.
so this truck wasn't slamming on his brakes multiple times then speeding up to block the other driver? That isn't a wanton act? That individual did exactly what this truck driver did just in a different way. They intentionally put their vehicle in a position to make that person wreck by both braking and speeding.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 05:47 PM   #93
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
In an effort to be brief I didn't explain properly.

2 semi trucks are following each other in the right lane.
Truck #1 is going 65.
Truck #2 is gong 67.
I'm in the left lane going 75 coming upon them.

Truck #2 gets close enough to truck #1 that he wants to pass, and pulls in front of me with only feet of margin.
Truck #2 then passes truck #1 at 2 mph until there are 2 full truck-lengths in front of truck #1 before getting back over.

So he gives me 10 feet or less and gives the truck he's passing 2 truck-lengths.

This is a situation that plays out every single time I'm on the Interstate (my average drive is 3.5 hours, and many times 5.5 hours).

My question is; is it legal for truck #2 to pull out in front of me with only feet to spare at 67 mph?
Did he hit you though??

Having towed our 32’ RV across the country I will say pulling in-front of you with 10’ to spare takes skilzzz! I find for the most part truckers drive pretty well, especially the long haul trucks. Occasionally we have run into a crazy trucker, but much more rare than crazy people in cars.

One of my all time favorite things while towing the RV was on ramps. I mean… I know the average person isn’t great at physics or math… I’m not. However I somehow seem to instinctively know that driving my smart car next to a massive truck and trailer at the same speed as them when I KNOW my lane is about to end…. will not end well for me. You would be surprised how many people do not posses such instincts.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      02-03-2022, 05:48 PM   #94
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If you employ at least a 3-second following distance behind the car/truck in front of you, you'll never find yourself in that position. Sometimes the truckers have good spatial awareness and sometimes they don't, that's why the onus is on the driver following.
In an effort to be brief I didn't explain properly.

2 semi trucks are following each other in the right lane.
Truck #1 is going 65.
Truck #2 is gong 67.
I'm in the left lane going 75 coming upon them.

Truck #2 gets close enough to truck #1 that he wants to pass, and pulls in front of me with only feet of margin.
Truck #2 then passes truck #1 at 2 mph until there are 2 full truck-lengths in front of truck #1 before getting back over.

So he gives me 10 feet or less and gives the truck he's passing 2 truck-lengths.

This is a situation that plays out every single time I'm on the Interstate (my average drive is 3.5 hours, and many times 5.5 hours).

My question is; is it legal for truck #2 to pull out in front of me with only feet to spare at 67 mph?
That would be an unsafe lane change violation here in California. I would either cite the truck driver for 21658 CVC or 22107 CVC; likely the former.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      02-03-2022, 05:50 PM   #95
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Again, SLAMMING on the brakes is different than a brake check, which any rational person would describe as a brief tap of the brakes just to initiate the brake lights. SLAMMING on the brakes purposely, causing a collision is a willful and wanton act. Pulling in front of a school bus and slamming on the brakes is a willful and wanton act. I feel like I'm talking to a child.
so this truck wasn't slamming on his brakes multiple times then speeding up to block the other driver? That isn't a wanton act? That individual did exactly what this truck driver did just in a different way. They intentionally put their vehicle in a position to make that person wreck by both braking and speeding.
You aren't comprehending anything, so I'm going to let it go.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 05:54 PM   #96
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Let him go with a warning though....i like that. I like that.
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan25113.50
Tyga113235.50
minn1914037.50
DETRoadster11462.50
      02-03-2022, 05:55 PM   #97
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Quote:
Let him go with a warning though....i like that. I like that.
He's the kind of driver I throw the book at.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2022, 05:56 PM   #98
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
comprehending? You say brake checking isn't citable, yet I produce you two times brake checking was cited in two wreckless driving citations in the state of NJ. We see what happens in the original video. I am classifying both drivers as driving recklessly. You want to give the truck a pass and that's completely wrong. Any driver doing what either of these two did should have their license suspended.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      02-03-2022, 05:59 PM   #99
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
lol, you've got to pull me over first. I'm neither one of these drivers. Maybe you're reading comprehension is off but you should go back and see that I clearly stated the Honda was in the wrong as well from my first comment on.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 06:02 PM   #100
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Having towed our 32’ RV across the country I will say pulling in-front of you with 10’ to spare takes skilzzz!
Trust me, I give truckers the benefit of the doubt every time (just like I give it to police officers), but once something happens so many times, it's just like man, can I get a witness?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 06:04 PM   #101
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
comprehending? You say brake checking isn't citable, yet I produce you two times brake checking was cited in two wreckless driving citations in the state of NJ. We see what happens in the original video. I am classifying both drivers as driving recklessly. You want to give the truck a pass and that's completely wrong. Any driver doing what either of these two did should have their license suspended.
I'll try one last time. I must be a glutton for punishment.

THERE IS NO VEHICLE CODE VIOLATION SPECIFIC TO BRAKE CHECKING.

^^^Read that again three times.

There ARE things that fall into the category of reckless driving when you can ARTICULATE the wanton nature of the act. Brake checking, in and of itself, is NOT a violation.

^^^Read that again three times.

If I write a citation because an intentional action behind the wheel was done in a reckless/wanton manner, I write the citation for reckless driving. Just because YOU feel the truck driver was reckless doesn't mean he truly met that criteria. Your feelings do not equate to a violation of law.

We aren't going to agree, so let's just move on. I'm the one out here working the road and going to court over these matters. I know what the courts look for to establish a violation of the statute.
Appreciate 4
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
minn1914037.50
sygazelle11416.00
      02-03-2022, 06:08 PM   #102
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
lol, you've got to pull me over first. I'm neither one of these drivers. Maybe you're reading comprehension is off but you should go back and see that I clearly stated the Honda was in the wrong as well from my first comment on.
I can ALWAYS find probable cause for a traffic stop. I know some of the most obscure reasons to pull over a vehicle. If I want to pull you over, I will pull you over and be legally justified in doing so.
Appreciate 1
minn1914037.50
      02-03-2022, 06:09 PM   #103
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Dude, in my 2nd? video (showing what transpired before the OP video), the Accord wasn't even behind the truck, not to mention even if the truck didn't brake-check him, he still shouldn't try to squeeze into the gap, does he think he's flying w the Blue Angels in some tight death-defying formation? That was way more dangerous there, not the brake-check. Ridiculous you'd compare this to the vengeful Hyundai guy 'getting back' at the bus, driving in front of it and fully slamming his brakes so hard that the bus had to make evasive maneuvers - luckily there were no children but not like the Hyundai guy cared or whatever effects to the traffic behind them. Incredible that you'd go to crazy lengths trying to defend the Accord who was clearly the aggressor.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25113.50
minn1914037.50
      02-03-2022, 06:30 PM   #104
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

We aren't going to agree, so let's just move on. I'm the one out here working the road and going to court over these matters. I know what the courts look for to establish a violation of the statute.
funny, when I worked in Law Enforcement both would have been pulled over and then I would have seen them in traffic court.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 06:31 PM   #105
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Incredible that you'd go to crazy lengths trying to defend the Accord who was clearly the aggressor.
can anyone point this guy out to all the times I blamed the Accord driver as well cause this guy clearly doesn't see it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 06:33 PM   #106
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Accord person is a loser for sure, and the main party at fault. They strike me as the reckless Nissan Altima-type of driver.

This also reinforces why I despise pickup trucks so much. They are a symbol of the average American's excess, unnecessary aggression, and selfish egos for a reason. They are routinely driven by assholes regardless of location.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3848.00
      02-03-2022, 06:33 PM   #107
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I can ALWAYS find probable cause for a traffic stop. I know some of the most obscure reasons to pull over a vehicle. If I want to pull you over, I will pull you over and be legally justified in doing so.
lol, no no you won't.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 06:36 PM   #108
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
IIRC, the law states that regardless of your speed, if you are in the passing lane and another vehicle wants to pass, you must speed up or slow down and let them pass. Intentionally blocking someone if the first place would be illegal, and then speeding up to block them from passing would further the issue.

IMO the truck is to blame as much as the car. But if you're the type of person that uses your car to force people to slow down, or to be where you want them to be on the highway, then I guess you wouldn't see it that way.

I feel like if this was done to you, you might have a different opinion.

Sedan_Clan : any insight?
The police DGAF. They'd rather hand a speeding ticket to the person who briefly goes 10-15 over the limit to pass the self-centered left lane camper.

Never have I once seen or heard of police enforcing the "keep right except to pass" law. Must not be lucrative enough a ticket for the county.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 06:40 PM   #109
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
IIRC, the law states that regardless of your speed, if you are in the passing lane and another vehicle wants to pass, you must speed up or slow down and let them pass. Intentionally blocking someone if the first place would be illegal, and then speeding up to block them from passing would further the issue.

IMO the truck is to blame as much as the car. But if you're the type of person that uses your car to force people to slow down, or to be where you want them to be on the highway, then I guess you wouldn't see it that way.

I feel like if this was done to you, you might have a different opinion.

Sedan_Clan : any insight?
The police DGAF. They'd rather hand a speeding ticket to the person who briefly goes 10-15 over the limit to pass the self-centered left lane camper.

Never have I once seen or heard of police enforcing the "keep right except to pass" law.
In the city, how do you suggest we employ such enforcement measures?!? With the gridlock and overcrowded freeways it would be impossible.

P.S. Very little citation revenue actually comes to the city/county departments.
Appreciate 1
minn1914037.50
      02-03-2022, 06:54 PM   #110
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
can anyone point this guy out to all the times I blamed the Accord driver as well cause this guy clearly doesn't see it.
All I see is you trying to mitigate the Accord's dangerous actions and exaggerate the truck's: you actually think that the truck was the greater road threat and that he caused the accident, which is utterly wrong.

Some excerpts (bolded for emphasis):
Quote:
Are you kidding me!?! You post a video of the truck doing this and still don't want to blame the truck driver at all!?! Why is the truck hitting the brakes when no one in front of him. That's brake checking and 100% if you showed this to Police that truck driver would be charged with wreckless driving as well as the Accord. If you ask me the truck driver is more at fault for simply being an asshole in the left lane.
Quote:
Don't say things like this then. What that truck did was the cause of the accident and he could have involved innocent people by trying to be a vigilante controlling someone else's speed. If he doesn't do any of that, the Accord passes and everyone goes about their day.
Quote:
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
minn1914037.50