BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-07-2019, 04:02 AM   #1
MajorJump
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Another cracked windscreen

I'm starting a new thread on this in addition to the previous, as I believe it increases visibility of the problem.

Like many other previous reports, I went to my car (which is stored in a garage and actually had been there for two weeks whilst on holiday) to find a large crack in the windscreen. It "starts" just behind the rear view mirror and then curves upwards and terminates at the point where the glass meets the roof.

As with other people, there's zero evidence of impact (and couldn't have been whilst it was in the garage) so it's clearly stress related.

I've got a BMW extended warranty. However this explicitly doesn't cover glass, so I expect that will be a short conversation. I can try BMW, but as it's out of OEM warranty I'm not optimistic, there's also the fact that to even get them to look at the car I have to wait four weeks, which is terrible service.

I expect I'm going to be left having to go through my insurance, as I don't want to be left with a £2k plus bill. The £95 excess is easier to swallow.

There's clearly a fault here. However I'm not sure it's wise to take the time to fight it, I need to get the windscreen repaired.

Just sharing as no doubt there will be others who face similar problems in the future.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #2
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorJump View Post
I'm starting a new thread on this in addition to the previous, as I believe it increases visibility of the problem.

Like many other previous reports, I went to my car (which is stored in a garage and actually had been there for two weeks whilst on holiday) to find a large crack in the windscreen. It "starts" just behind the rear view mirror and then curves upwards and terminates at the point where the glass meets the roof.

As with other people, there's zero evidence of impact (and couldn't have been whilst it was in the garage) so it's clearly stress related.

I've got a BMW extended warranty. However this explicitly doesn't cover glass, so I expect that will be a short conversation. I can try BMW, but as it's out of OEM warranty I'm not optimistic, there's also the fact that to even get them to look at the car I have to wait four weeks, which is terrible service.

I expect I'm going to be left having to go through my insurance, as I don't want to be left with a £2k plus bill. The £95 excess is easier to swallow.

There's clearly a fault here. However I'm not sure it's wise to take the time to fight it, I need to get the windscreen repaired.

Just sharing as no doubt there will be others who face similar problems in the future.
Insurance seems like the simple and and least time consuming option.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 06:16 AM   #3
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorJump View Post
Please upload some pictures and update the thread if the crack grows as you drive it. Mine started mid-roof line after being parked in my garage overnight, and the crack branched into an upside down Y, and then extended towards the A-pillars.

I believe the door mounts on the A-pillars are transferring the force from the hinges, to the A-pillar, to the glass. Instead of being engineered to transfer that force to the remaining parts of the body, the exterior piece of the laminated glass is getting stretched to the point where it can't handle the force anymore and comes to a breaking point.

How many miles are on your i8 and what year is it? Mine cracked nearly 4 years after it was produced, and windshield was replaced under warranty after emailing many threads on this forum showing photos of the same crack location without evidence of an impact. It took a week to get approval and they kept the car overnight to let the windshield adhesive cure, which was the best thing to do. Immediately after replacement, I paid for 100% glass coverage (no deductible) on my i8 through my insurance company. It cost me an additional $100 per year, but after factory warranty ends, I'm going to be responsible if it cracks again, so this was cheap insurance.

If you reach out to BMW corporate on this issue and provide evidence of cracks that have developed, I'd be curious to hear what they have to say.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 02:48 AM   #4
LukasPukas
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i8

This happened to me recently to (late 2014 car with 30k on the clock under an extended warranty). BMW UK weren't interested in entertaining any kind of warranty claim (as you point out glass is excluded), despite all the evidence indicating that it is an issue.

Fortunately for me, my insurer uses National Windscreens and they replaced with an OEM BMW logoed windscreen at my request.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0