Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

03-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #1101
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I don't remember if I ever posted these, but I figured that I should add them to this thread....

Damn strong!

Btw upon completing the 10x3 bench program my bench went up 10 lbs to it's now 260. Slowly climbing up!

Finally passed 1100 total, happy about that.

Started Wendler 531 Triumvirate, thoughts or recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 05:57 PM   #1102
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Hey Sedan_Clan you weren't that officer hit by the SUV on Donner Pass, I hope!
I'm still alive and kicking. Thanks for the concern my good man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreez88 View Post
Damn strong!

Btw upon completing the 10x3 bench program my bench went up 10 lbs to it's now 260. Slowly climbing up!

Finally passed 1100 total, happy about that.

Started Wendler 531 Triumvirate, thoughts or recommendations?
Thanks koreez88.

I'm also pleased to hear that my suggestion proved beneficial and you made steady [and real/tangible] progress. Creeping up incrementally has longer lasting benefits that will pay dividends down the line. Keep it up!

I've never tried the Wendler 531 approach, but do try it and let us all know how it works for you. The basic structure is set-up for improving maximal strength, and that's a good thing. I've always been a fan of pull-ups/chin-ups/dips. You can vary them until you're blue in the face and the strength they build is phenomenal.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-28-2016 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 02:43 PM   #1103
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I'm still alive and kicking. Thanks for the concern my good man.

Thanks koreez88.

I'm also pleased to hear that my suggestion proved beneficial and you made steady [and real/tangible] progress. Creeping up incrementally has longer lasting benefits that will pay dividends down the line. Keep it up!

I've never tried the Wendler 531 approach, but do try it and let us all know how it works for you. The basic structure is set-up for improving maximal strength, and that's a good thing. I've always been a fan of pull-ups/chin-ups/dips. You can vary them until you're blue in the face and the strength they build is phenomenal.
Slow and steady wins the race!

The goal for SBD is 405-275-495 this year while trying to minimize the chance of elbows and knees blowing up. In this for a long run.

I'll keep you posted on the progress, I might run Wendler till end of year (might change the accessory work half way) so let's see where I end up.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #1104
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

So Saturday I had mowed the lawn, fertilized, then decided to go for a little run. I get less than a mile from the house and WATER STARTS FALLING FROM THE SKY. THE sky is literally FALLING on me.

The front of my shirt got so soaked that the weight was throwing off my stride, so had to remove it. Got home totally soaked.

Good thing though, I didn't need to take a shower afterwards (but wife still made me for some reason)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 11:32 PM   #1105
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

anyone ever tried mr. hyde for preworkout? i tried it for the first time today with 2 scoops and holy shit, i was cold sweating 10 mins into my workout. the more i sweat the colder i felt, n the rest of the workout pretty much sucked.
      04-13-2016, 11:20 AM   #1106
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbb85 View Post
anyone ever tried mr. hyde for preworkout? i tried it for the first time today with 2 scoops and holy shit, i was cold sweating 10 mins into my workout. the more i sweat the colder i felt, n the rest of the workout pretty much sucked.
Almost sounds like my workout Monday night. Went in feeling similar (cold sweats), still did my 5 sets of squats but could barely get 6-8 reps and didn't move from warm-up weight. Finally decided something was wrong so just left. Took me 5 minutes to get to my truck, staggering like a drunk. Each sidewalk square took me about 4-5 steps to complete (funny what I remember) Don't know how I got home, but came around eating a bowl of ice cream in the kitchen. #hypoglycemia
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 02:11 PM   #1107
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
1 serving of hyde is over 400mg of caffeine. You took two. That's over 8 cups of coffee right there.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #1108
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
basic advice for losing body fat yet retaining the current muscle i have right now? i know that's vague and whatnot, but i bet there is a wide variety of opinions and i'm open to learning always.

i started a basic diet/workout routine for myself almost three months ago with the goal of losing 30lbs in three months. i've become more focused in training hard the right way and losing bfp instead of actual weight as i've plateaued for the past 2-3 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 10:18 PM   #1109
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
basic advice for losing body fat yet retaining the current muscle i have right now? i know that's vague and whatnot, but i bet there is a wide variety of opinions and i'm open to learning always.

i started a basic diet/workout routine for myself almost three months ago with the goal of losing 30lbs in three months. i've become more focused in training hard the right way and losing bfp instead of actual weight as i've plateaued for the past 2-3 weeks.

count calories + cardio. workout program isn't that important when you on a cut/diet, you arent gona build any size/muscle
      04-16-2016, 02:59 AM   #1110
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:

The best way I found to retain muscle is to add light cardio in the mornings. Treadmill at 10% incline walking as fast as you can walk while keeping your heart rate below 130 for 30-45 mins. 3-5 times a week. Maybe throw in a HIIT session every now and then.

Track your calories and make sure your still getting the 1 to .75 grams of protein to body weight.

I found that this in combo with my lifting routine has helped retain muscle, but you'll lose a little bit of strength being in a caloric deficit.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 10:00 AM   #1111
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
count calories + cardio. workout program isn't that important when you on a cut/diet, you arent gona build any size/muscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErvGotti View Post
The best way I found to retain muscle is to add light cardio in the mornings. Treadmill at 10% incline walking as fast as you can walk while keeping your heart rate below 130 for 30-45 mins. 3-5 times a week. Maybe throw in a HIIT session every now and then.

Track your calories and make sure your still getting the 1 to .75 grams of protein to body weight.

I found that this in combo with my lifting routine has helped retain muscle, but you'll lose a little bit of strength being in a caloric deficit.
Already on the cardio. Need to start counting the calories. I have rough estimates of what I eat versus what I burn but nothing specific.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 12:34 PM   #1112
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:

Here's my advice. Start with a moderate calorie deficit... say 20% under TDEE. You need to be deliberate and track it accurately using something like MyFitnessPal or something like that. I'm super diligent in tracking. Figure out your TDEE and macros using something like this.... http://www.muscleforlife.com/weight-loss-calculator

Up your protein intake. I weigh 175lbs and I'm taking in 200+g of protein when I'm dieting down. For two reasons... higher protein (really more than I need) to preserve muscle, effective nitrogen balance and also the thermogenic impact of protein as it is the hardest macro nutrient for your body to process so it's calorie efficient, so to speak.

Continue heavy lifting and focus on compound exercises (squats, deadlifts, bench, etc) as your main exercises. Add HIIT to your routine. I do 5 days of weights and add 2 to 3 sessions (30 minutes) of cardio. Long, steady state cardio (jogging, etc) is bad for muscle retention. HIIT is much better. Lots of articles (LOTS) on the link above on this topic.

I find I don't lose any strength (and therefore likely little to no muscle) and I am able to lose weight quickly. Once I get to my goal, I reverse diet (add 200 calories a week) until I get back to my maintenance level TDEE. For me, I maintain around 2,600 calories, bulk around 2,800 to 3,000 calories and cut around 2,100 calories if I'm working out 4 to 5 hours a week. Works really well for me.

I went from 29% BF to 8% BF doing this. I then bulked to around 10% - 12% BF and then cut again to 8% BF in a very short period again. I'll continue this cycle until I'm happy with my lean muscle and then I'll simply continue working out and eat around my TDEE to maintain an 8% to 9% BF level.

Some useful reading...

http://www.muscleforlife.com/high-in...nd-weight-loss
http://www.muscleforlife.com/build-muscle-lose-fat

Lots of different views on all of this but what I wrote above worked amazingly well for me and it's pretty basic, common sense stuff.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 04-16-2016 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2016, 10:59 PM   #1113
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal
all the good stuff he said
Absolutely agreed. MyFitnessPal is an excellent starting point for gaining, losing, or maintaining bodily mass down to the terms of macro distribution. If you pay for the premium version (like I do) you get to receive full breakdowns of where the majority of your carbohydrates are coming from, and more in depth looks into the foods you are consuming.

Do you use a heart rate monitor? I use a Fitbit blaze for the majority of my HIIT and even my weight training routines, and it greatly helps to keep things into perspective. But high proteins, moderate carbohydrates and [good] fats are key, as well as knowing what to consume.

You don't want to invalidate your muscle gain based on consuming too little, or too much of the wrong stuff.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 12:14 PM   #1114
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Here's my advice. Start with a moderate calorie deficit... say 20% under TDEE. You need to be deliberate and track it accurately using something like MyFitnessPal or something like that. I'm super diligent in tracking. Figure out your TDEE and macros using something like this.... http://www.muscleforlife.com/weight-loss-calculator

Up your protein intake. I weigh 175lbs and I'm taking in 200+g of protein when I'm dieting down. For two reasons... higher protein (really more than I need) to preserve muscle, effective nitrogen balance and also the thermogenic impact of protein as it is the hardest macro nutrient for your body to process so it's calorie efficient, so to speak.

Continue heavy lifting and focus on compound exercises (squats, deadlifts, bench, etc) as your main exercises. Add HIIT to your routine. I do 5 days of weights and add 2 to 3 sessions (30 minutes) of cardio. Long, steady state cardio (jogging, etc) is bad for muscle retention. HIIT is much better. Lots of articles (LOTS) on the link above on this topic.

I find I don't lose any strength (and therefore likely little to no muscle) and I am able to lose weight quickly. Once I get to my goal, I reverse diet (add 200 calories a week) until I get back to my maintenance level TDEE. For me, I maintain around 2,600 calories, bulk around 2,800 to 3,000 calories and cut around 2,100 calories if I'm working out 4 to 5 hours a week. Works really well for me.

I went from 29% BF to 8% BF doing this. I then bulked to around 10% - 12% BF and then cut again to 8% BF in a very short period again. I'll continue this cycle until I'm happy with my lean muscle and then I'll simply continue working out and eat around my TDEE to maintain an 8% to 9% BF level.

Some useful reading...

http://www.muscleforlife.com/high-in...nd-weight-loss
http://www.muscleforlife.com/build-muscle-lose-fat

Lots of different views on all of this but what I wrote above worked amazingly well for me and it's pretty basic, common sense stuff.
First of all thank you for the well thought out response. Secondly you are absolutely right about the common sense part. Most of what you advised are things I've either heard from others or basics I've found researching. For me it comes down to actually counting my calories which I dreaded, but if I want to reach my goals it's a must. I will admit I need to add a little more HIIT to my workouts for sure, but I have a decent amount in right now.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 12:18 PM   #1115
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
Absolutely agreed. MyFitnessPal is an excellent starting point for gaining, losing, or maintaining bodily mass down to the terms of macro distribution. If you pay for the premium version (like I do) you get to receive full breakdowns of where the majority of your carbohydrates are coming from, and more in depth looks into the foods you are consuming.

Do you use a heart rate monitor? I use a Fitbit blaze for the majority of my HIIT and even my weight training routines, and it greatly helps to keep things into perspective. But high proteins, moderate carbohydrates and [good] fats are key, as well as knowing what to consume.

You don't want to invalidate your muscle gain based on consuming too little, or too much of the wrong stuff.
Once again well said. Things I already knew, but I think what you've said is very basic knowledge needed for people trying to accomplish certain levels of performance.

Your last statement is the basis of my need for help. I don't want to consume too little and make myself miserable and lose muscle mass, but I also know eating too much will not get me to my bfp goal. The quality of food I eat is very good, my workouts are decent but I could definitely add a little more HIIT routines in, and now I need to just track my calories closely to reach my goal.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2016, 05:10 PM   #1116
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

What's everyones thoughts on carbs?

I read this one bodybuilding.com article about restricting yourself to 30g carbs per day for 5.5 days and then, not really unleashing, but sort of letting go the next 1.5 days. So Sunday-6pm Friday this guy would go 30g carbs a day and Friday night and Saturday he wouldn't regulate. He argued it gives a similar physiological response to steroids because of how your body acts on carbs/off carbs and would burn more fat.

I then read another nutrition guide by another bodybuilding.com writer that pegged most bodybuilders eating 3-400g carbs a day. Now, I'm not a bodybuilder, but this is a staggering difference.

At the moment I estimate I am probably at around 145-180g carbs per day. I was going to try to cut to 30, and realized that it's almost impossible. Even my protein has 3g of carbs. I decided to cut down on them instead, down to around 100g or under.

Who is right in this bodybuilding.com article war?

Last edited by FType22; 04-20-2016 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 11:03 PM   #1117
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP86 View Post
What's everyones thoughts on carbs?

I read this one bodybuilding.com article about restricting yourself to 30g carbs per day for 5.5 days and then, not really unleashing, but sort of letting go the next 1.5 days. So Sunday-6pm Friday this guy would go 30g carbs a day and Friday night and Saturday he wouldn't regulate. He argued it gives a similar physiological response to steroids because of how your body acts on carbs/off carbs and would burn more fat.

I then read another nutrition guide by another bodybuilding.com writer that pegged most bodybuilders eating 3-400g carbs a day. Now, I'm not a bodybuilder, but this is a staggering difference.

At the moment I estimate I am probably at around 145-180g carbs per day. I was going to try to cut to 30, and realized that it's almost impossible. Even my protein has 3g of carbs. I decided to cut down on them instead, down to around 100g or under.

Who is right in this bodybuilding.com article war?
30g of carbs per day is stupid IMO

You need carbs to perform in the gym. Carbs will not make you fat. Overeating makes you fat. Carbs are not bad. I'm at around 360g per day and am not gaining any fat at all. When I'm cutting I'm around 190-200g per day.

So much misconception and fad diets that restrict carbs these days.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 12:03 AM   #1118
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
30g of carbs per day is stupid IMO

You need carbs to perform in the gym. Carbs will not make you fat. Overeating makes you fat. Carbs are not bad. I'm at around 360g per day and am not gaining any fat at all. When I'm cutting I'm around 190-200g per day.

So much misconception and fad diets that restrict carbs these days.
Thank you just needed someone to confirm my feelings. I'm following the "Arnold get ripped" work out plan from bodybuilding.com the next few weeks to change things up and I can't function without the carbs, the work outs are too intense.

I still can't seem to easily drop body fat though. Not sure what the deal is.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #1119
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Thank you just needed someone to confirm my feelings. I'm following the "Arnold get ripped" work out plan from bodybuilding.com the next few weeks to change things up and I can't function without the carbs, the work outs are too intense.

I still can't seem to easily drop body fat though. Not sure what the deal is.
That's because that is one of the (literally) hardest things to do when conditioning. Do you know what BF% you are trying to reach?

Also, as gthal stated, carbs are necessary in adequate moderation but cannot be indulged in very frequently because your lifting/HIIT efficiency is going to suffer, and you will grow increasingly sluggish. I've learned this the hard way.

I am currently averaging 40-50g fat, 200-300g carbs, and 200-250g protein.

30g is nothing.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #1120
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's because that is one of the (literally) hardest things to do when conditioning. Do you know what BF% you are trying to reach?

Also, as gthal stated, carbs are necessary in adequate moderation but cannot be indulged in very frequently because your lifting/HIIT efficiency is going to suffer, and you will grow increasingly sluggish. I've learned this the hard way.

I am currently averaging 40-50g fat, 200-300g carbs, and 200-250g protein.

30g is nothing.
How do you usually get your protein? Can you give me the amount per meal and how it's eaten (like shake 40g/chicken 45g/fish etc) ?

I'm Shooting for single digit body fat, last time I was checked I was down to 11% but that was probably around 3-6 months ago. I'm
Also not sure how much body fat you can lose month to month safely, or on average.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 10:41 AM   #1121
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
How do you usually get your protein? Can you give me the amount per meal and how it's eaten (like shake 40g/chicken 45g/fish etc) ?

I'm Shooting for single digit body fat, last time I was checked I was down to 11% but that was probably around 3-6 months ago. I'm
Also not sure how much body fat you can lose month to month safely, or on average.
What works for me, on an average day (concerning solely/mainly protein macronutrients) are a greek yogurt (15g avg)/protein granola bar (6g avg) for breakfast, deli meat chicken sandwich (2-3oz on whole wheat with reduced fat cheese) around lunch (10g), and dinner includes 18-24oz of chicken/beef (120g avg) with a BSN Syntha 6 shake with almond milk, double scooped (22g a scoop, 44g a serving, for me).

Of course these are just the main sources, with everything else providing slight distribution for me to hit those numbers.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #1122
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What works for me, on an average day (concerning solely/mainly protein macronutrients) are a greek yogurt (15g avg)/protein granola bar (6g avg) for breakfast, deli meat chicken sandwich (2-3oz on whole wheat with reduced fat cheese) around lunch (10g), and dinner includes 18-24oz of chicken/beef (120g avg) with a BSN Syntha 6 shake with almond milk, double scooped (22g a scoop, 44g a serving, for me).

Of course these are just the main sources, with everything else providing slight distribution for me to hit those numbers.
OK cool that is good reference, now how often do you work out? Are you happy with your results?
Appreciate 0