11-14-2020, 12:06 AM   #23
eshtog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachbar View Post
Now black
Very nice 👍 Did you paint the Apple MagSafe charger?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 01:20 AM   #24
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshtog View Post
Quote:
Now black
Yes, but I had to use a plastic primer bc in the middle it is sort of plastic/gum. If it doesn't hold, I will put a black round sticker on there.

Edit: plastidipp would also work well, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 01:36 AM   #25
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshtog View Post
Quote:
Now black
Looks sick with the iPhone attached. And it holds pretty well. I also like that I can turn the phone to landscape easely.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 01:48 AM   #26
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 LCI

The Brodit integrates nicely and is very neat. But it's a bit too low for my uses to be useful. I prefer google maps up 90% of the time and it's too far down to look at!

I use a vent holder with a ball joint and it works great - only problem is with a cable it can be a bit messy, blocks 7/8 buttons and breaks up the nice LED line. Not a huge problem in the grand scale of things. No issues with blocking AC/vents.

Before people say use carplay or integrated maps and problem solved - gmaps is by far the best for routing and traffic, carplay is useless/unusable, and integrated maps is nice just for general / headsup display but it isn't great for routing.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 02:49 AM   #27
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolarBear View Post
The Brodit integrates nicely and is very neat. But it's a bit too low for my uses to be useful. I prefer google maps up 90% of the time and it's too far down to look at!

I use a vent holder with a ball joint and it works great - only problem is with a cable it can be a bit messy, blocks 7/8 buttons and breaks up the nice LED line. Not a huge problem in the grand scale of things. No issues with blocking AC/vents.

Before people say use carplay or integrated maps and problem solved - gmaps is by far the best for routing and traffic, carplay is useless/unusable, and integrated maps is nice just for general / headsup display but it isn't great for routing.
Here in Switzerland I couldn' find much differencies between integrated and google maps.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 06:01 AM   #28
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Here in Switzerland I couldn' find much differencies between integrated and google maps.
I commute in mine (anything from 30-60 minutes each way) where traffic can occur quickly and also I drive in the city late at night - where there's often road closures in the UK (due to seemingly permanent road works!!). Google maps is far better with traffic in this respect, it'll pretty much know most of the time when roads are closed. BMW integrated would probably not even register an evening onlyroad closure in Yorkshire where I am!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 06:37 AM   #29
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I commute in mine (anything from 30-60 minutes each way) where traffic can occur quickly and also I drive in the city late at night - where there's often road closures in the UK (due to seemingly permanent road works!!). Google maps is far better with traffic in this respect, it'll pretty much know most of the time when roads are closed. BMW integrated would probably not even register an evening onlyroad closure in Yorkshire where I am!
Woow you live in a beautiful place! It's definitely on my list. We should swap houses, cars etc. (not wifes!) 😁 one day.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2020, 05:01 AM   #30
dragonsdreams
Private
Rep

Yes, I went for a Brodit mount too. Seems very robust even for my massive phone (Huawei 20x).
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 03:28 AM   #31
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Woow you live in a beautiful place! It's definitely on my list. We should swap houses, cars etc. (not wifes!) 😁 one day.
Thanks! Sounds like a deal! If only it all looked like that, some parts are beautiful, I live in the city sadly so pretty standard! Switzerland sounds like a far nicer place!!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 09:48 AM   #32
eshtog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5

Quote:

Not sure what you mean by “ gmaps is by far the best for routing and traffic, carplay is useless/unusable” as Google maps is supported by CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 02:49 AM   #33
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Thanks! Sounds like a deal! If only it all looked like that, some parts are beautiful, I live in the city sadly so pretty standard! Switzerland sounds like a far nicer place!!
So much about the grass always being greener on the other side. Which is by the way true because of the different angle you look at it.

Sorry,
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 06:07 AM   #34
pjs
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 363ny View Post
I am looking for phone mount recommendations for use in the i8. I had previously used the iOttie Easy One Touch (mounted to the windshield) in my last car but with the windshield so far from the driver on the i8 and the iOttie being a bit of an eye sore (imho) due to its bulk I am looking for suggestions. What are you using?

TIA,
Jeff
A few quid of Amazon for this , clamps onto air vent works great
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 02:34 AM   #35
SurreySid
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Now black