BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #23
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

P.S. before an Elon acolyte steps in to defend him, I'm perfectly aware cold jet thrusters are an existing technology. I'm just saying it's a stupid thing for a car (for a variety of reasons I can't be bothered going into).
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2019, 11:14 AM   #24
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
P.S. before an Elon acolyte steps in to defend him

Our Lord and Savior, Elon Musk, may God bless his Holy name.
Appreciate 1
JasH621.00
      07-29-2019, 04:00 PM   #25
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 12:19 AM   #26
RacrX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Msport

C8 is an amazing car for the money.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 11:53 AM   #27
orion1977
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 i8 & '14 328i

All attention is on the C7’s successor, not the i8’s successor. BMW dropped the ball big time.

I wonder how the exotic car market is going to be affected by the C8. Surely some exotics will drop in price which is good for us, but how does it feel knowing your more expensive, exclusive performance car is outperformed by a more common car that’s half or a third of its price?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 07:03 AM   #28
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion1977 View Post
All attention is on the C7's successor, not the i8's successor. BMW dropped the ball big time.

I wonder how the exotic car market is going to be affected by the C8. Surely some exotics will drop in price which is good for us, but how does it feel knowing your more expensive, exclusive performance car is outperformed by a more common car that's half or a third of its price?
My ego isn't nearly as fragile to let something so meaningless such as a depreciating asset ever effect me on a personal note .

And considering I bought my protonic frozen black i8 for 70k- I could careless that a 60k car can whoop my ass in a race. Thankfully, I buy my cars to enjoy driving- not racing

And yes, I am definitely picking up a c8 when released
      08-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #29
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

For the moment, It would be hard put to find an i8 replacement, as its supercar looks, GT ride, well-balanced handling, and extraordinarily low cost to maintain pushes all the right buttons for me as a daily driver. What's more, it's durability and low maintenance requires substantially less care than the Italian exotics I use to drive. As for a track car, I've defaulted to using a friend's 911Turbo S. No more guilt nor lament of having an infrequently utilized racer occupying space in the garage.

Last edited by YWGT3; 08-03-2019 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 04:51 PM   #30
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I wonder how the exotic car market is going to be affected by the C8. Surely some exotics will drop in price which is good for us, but how does it feel knowing your more expensive, exclusive performance car is outperformed by a more common car that’s half or a third of its price?
It won't outperform the premium supercars. And will have zero impact in Europe. (I can't say about USA of course.)
Appreciate 1
Aye-eight508.50
      08-25-2019, 12:15 PM   #31
IS350
IS350 to IS-F to M3 and M4
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal i8 View Post
I don't understand the autopilot thing.
I like to drive.
I don't like to drive in traffic, that's where autopilot has been a joy. And, on my 20 hour trip to Canada, it's just nice to have a little added assistance here and there, truly feels like the future. When I'm ready to take over, I rip the instant torque. Even my friend in his Aventador S was impressed with this acceleration.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 01:50 PM   #32
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Today I took a local drive to a convenience store driving in all electric as I always do for nearby errands. I love silently cruising around town and have grown tired of loud exhausts. I guess I’m getting old. I parked across the street because I am always wary of door dings in tight parking lots. I went to the counter to pay and the cashier and a customer had gone outside to check out my car. They both came back in with big smiles on their faces saying that they wished that they could have a car like that. I didn’t let on that it was mine, just enjoyed their reactions. There are not many other cars that elicit that kind of response. I didn’t buy the car to be ogled, but I must admit that I enjoy the reactions I have gotten. I have owned it for one and a half years now and have received nothing but thumbs up and positive remarks. People are smitten by its looks which are as fresh and cutting edge as they were when it first came out. Replacement? You can get better performance, which I don’t need, but nothing looks like the i8.
Appreciate 4
      08-29-2019, 01:07 PM   #33
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
Porsche Taycan. I’m on the list.
Ditto! I'm on the list as well!
Appreciate 1
Aye-eight508.50
      08-29-2019, 02:26 PM   #34
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

There is a LOT to like about the Taycan - electric, 4 seats, good range and performance, nice interior, likely good build quality & reliability (vs Tesla).

I just wish they hadn't ruined it by moving so far away from the Mission E concept look. And it is VERY heavy, at 2.2 tonnes.

Had it looked like the concept, I almost certainly would have had one for my next family car.
Appreciate 2
Aye-eight508.50
mptpa251.00
      08-29-2019, 03:08 PM   #35
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJohn View Post
Today I took a local drive to a convenience store driving in all electric as I always do for nearby errands. I love silently cruising around town and have grown tired of loud exhausts. I guess I’m getting old. I parked across the street because I am always wary of door dings in tight parking lots. I went to the counter to pay and the cashier and a customer had gone outside to check out my car. They both came back in with big smiles on their faces saying that they wished that they could have a car like that. I didn’t let on that it was mine, just enjoyed their reactions. There are not many other cars that elicit that kind of response. I didn’t buy the car to be ogled, but I must admit that I enjoy the reactions I have gotten. I have owned it for one and a half years now and have received nothing but thumbs up and positive remarks. People are smitten by its looks which are as fresh and cutting edge as they were when it first came out. Replacement? You can get better performance, which I don’t need, but nothing looks like the i8.
This!
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2019, 06:08 PM   #36
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
There is a LOT to like about the Taycan - electric, 4 seats, good range and performance, nice interior, likely good build quality & reliability (vs Tesla).

I just wish they hadn't ruined it by moving so far away from the Mission E concept look. And it is VERY heavy, at 2.2 tonnes.

Had it looked like the concept, I almost certainly would have had one for my next family car.
I’m with you. Being “on the list” is not fully committed. I wish, for instance, they had kept the rear suicide doors. Practical in tight spaces or not, that kind of interior access would be awesome. And the show effect would be somewhat similar to the i8 butterflies. I also read somewhere that their high-speed charging system might not be available / fully operational on the first generation Taycan. I may end up waiting for gen 2. Still happy with my i8 and in no rush.

But I’m going to the Taycan launch in Frankfurt. Porsche invited me. Looking forward to seeing it “in the flesh”.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 06:24 PM   #37
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
The new corvette revealed today hands down the best looking & performing 60k Car. 60..freaking..K...only
Corvettes have always been cheap (or let’s be more friendly and say “bargain”). They’re getting better as actual cars, yes. But it will take a while until they’re taken truly seriously. Over here in Europe, they’re pimp mobiles. They say “I wanted a sports car but couldn’t afford anything else”. Geez - there was a time when you could register one in Germany as a truck due to the engine size, and save on taxes. Really? That reputation may no longer be deserved. But perception is reality. And this is not the perception I’m after.

Plus, the world is going electric, like it or not. There will be niches - like “pure combustion sports cars” - but that’s more for Morgans. McLaren has gone hybrid (P1), Porsche has (918) and is going fully electric (Taycan), etc. The Americans are very actively running into the risk of missing the technological boat once again. And then they wonder why we Europeans don’t buy more of their cars and call it “very unfair” on Twitter.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 04:13 PM   #38
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

FYI, The Taycan Configurator is now live:

https://www.porsche.com/usa/modelsta...elrange=taycan
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 06:46 PM   #39
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

In the same situation right now. Lease is due back in a few months...what to get now?!

On the to do list:

Taycan
NSX
McLaren 570s
Tesla Roadster
Corvette C8

Roadster looks amazing, but doesn't work with the timeline.
Corvette is nice, and what a price! But still just kind of too 'muscle' car for me. Still haven't seen one in real life, so maybe that will change.
Taycan is kind of on the other side, and looks too sedan for me.

Leaves the NSX and the McLaren.
I love the looks of the McLaren, but the NSX is way more daily driveable.
Or maybe I'll just try and lease another i8 if I can before production end.

Last edited by rastaman777; 09-08-2019 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 04:18 AM   #40
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

For now I love the i8. I will wait for the iNext.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #41
eswimm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:

That's exactly why I love the i8, it stayed so true to the concept car, minus the crazy glass doors.

The Taycan looks decent, I'm glad to see Porsche coming out with a fairly compelling EV, but I'm still somewhat skeptical. I feel it's a little underwhelming compared to what you can get for half the price from Tesla.

I realize Tesla bashing is about as popular here as BMW bashing is on my Tesla forums, but after nearly 20 years of BMW ownership I can safely say that the ownership experience isn't vastly different on either side. In addition to the i8, I own 2 Teslas; I replaced my X6M with a Model X P100D and a 335i Convertible with a Model 3 RWD.

Part of me feels like Porsche held back in the Taycan so that it wouldn't threaten its own ICE vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #42
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eswimm View Post
...I realize Tesla bashing is about as popular here as BMW bashing is on my Tesla forums,...
Funny how some people are so insecure that they need to label folks who appreciate OTHER brands of vehicles as "fanbois". Like you say, it doesn't matter which brand forum you are on - there are always those narrow minded individuals who feel they need to defend their brand. Tribalism and ignorance runs rampant in the world today and we are paying the price on many levels and from many perspectives.

Car guys (or gals) like cars. It doesn't matter what brand they are. Many manufacturers bring different things to the table. Its their loss if some folks can't appreciate the differences "other" vehicles bring to the table.

No shortage of "BMW Fanbois" here...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 05:05 PM   #43
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Taycan looks pretty good in fact, and close to concept. But VERY heavy and too little range.

NSX is just...lacking IMO. US designers ruined it. Should have let the Japanese design it, and keep it light and smaller. Old NSX is

570S is the only car on that list that is a supercar (and exists to buy), and will outdrive any of them.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2019, 01:53 PM   #44
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

I replaced my 2nd MS after 6 years of Tesla driving with an i8 Roadster. Couldn't stand the horrible quality, service and customer treatment anymore and canceled two M3 reservations after test driving. Replacing an i8 with a Telsa you need a high suffering tolerance. Battery and MCU gate for the M3s is only a question of time if you ask me based on the last 6 years.

Rival to the i8 was the Panamera eHybrid SportTourismo who lost because of size and pricing in the end (wanted a smaller car).
Appreciate 0