BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

05-19-2016, 07:37 AM   #23
P1et
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: my wife's cars

What a giant mess...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 08:34 AM   #24
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WORK-F36 View Post
GirthBrooks won't respond. He knows he has no position to stand on, so will go silent
He'll respond I'm sure, which is entertaining since he has the mental capacity of a rock.

Which is just another way of saying "your average Trump supporter".
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 03:08 PM   #25
DonaldPump
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
He'll respond I'm sure, which is entertaining since he has the mental capacity of a rock.

Which is just another way of saying "your average Trump supporter".
I'mmmmm baccccckkk I read the article, interesting read. Not anything solid though. Good ole Bill flew with the guy 26 times.

Glad to see that the SJW's heads are exploding.
Hebrews 4:12
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 10:05 PM   #26
tracer bullet
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So he had the State Police go pick up his rape victims. Do you really think that was just a matter of convenience, or a plan to get the police involved and be complicit in the crime.
For some reason I am thinking you have been prescribed some sort of meds and that you aren't taking them.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 06:48 AM   #27
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirthBrooks View Post
I'mmmmm baccccckkk I read the article, interesting read. Not anything solid though. Good ole Bill flew with the guy 26 times.

Glad to see that the SJW's heads are exploding.
We missed you.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 12:47 PM   #28
DonaldPump
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT

Quote:
We missed you.
Hebrews 4:12
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 04:04 PM   #29
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Cuban was on TV last night, offering to be the running are to either Trump or Hillary - because he's an independent....

Imagining him staring at his phone today... Waiting for it to ring....
      05-23-2016, 04:17 PM   #30
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Silver 135 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard5040 View Post
I don't ever recall that he was charged with rape. I guess the liberal press covered it up. Eight years of continued economic growth, balanced budgets, and a debt that actually fell below the 3 trillion he inherited from Bush senior (who was saddled with it from Ronnie).
Clinton's greatest accomplishment was that he didn't screw with the economic success built up by Reagan/Bush Sr.
I've never heard or seen any evidence that the economy benefited from any policies Clinton introduced. He simply didn't screw up a good thing. Which I do give him credit for. It would be all too easy to say he was to busy chasing skirt to focus on economic policies, but I won't go there.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 11:17 AM   #31
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRG_135 View Post
Clinton's greatest accomplishment was that he didn't screw with the economic success built up by Reagan/Bush Sr.
I've never heard or seen any evidence that the economy benefited from any policies Clinton introduced. He simply didn't screw up a good thing. Which I do give him credit for. It would be all too easy to say he was to busy chasing skirt to focus on economic policies, but I won't go there.
I know a few. The budget he passed in the early 90's which begun to decrease the large deficits put in place through Reagan and Bush. He also reappointed Alan Greenspan as chairman of the Fed.

The former was good, the latter not so much. But yes you're right, a lot of it arguably was him not ruining a good thing. The dot com boom came during his Presidency so he lucked out there.

Of course long after that, Greenspans artificially lowering of interest rates would cause the global financial crisis brought on by subprime lending.

It is ironic, partisan kool aid drinkers love to spout on about how bad the deficit is under Obama yet worship Reagan....who had horrid deficits under his watch as well. So much so, he was forced to raise taxes.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2016, 12:59 PM   #32
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Silver 135 DCT

Quote:
I know a few. The budget he passed in the early 90's which begun to decrease the large deficits put in place through Reagan and Bush. He also reappointed Alan Greenspan as chairman of the Fed.

The former was good, the latter not so much. But yes you're right, a lot of it arguably was him not ruining a good thing. The dot com boom came during his Presidency so he lucked out there.

Of course long after that, Greenspans artificially lowering of interest rates would cause the global financial crisis brought on by subprime lending.

It is ironic, partisan kool aid drinkers love to spout on about how bad the deficit is under Obama yet worship Reagan....who had horrid deficits under his watch as well. So much so, he was forced to raise taxes.
Nobody is or was perfect......even Ron didn't get to do everything he wanted, but the deficits he ran up had the direct result of bringing down the Soviet Union. I'm sure Bernie is upset about that.......
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 08:09 PM   #33
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

IIRC, the only cuts Clinton made were to defense. Newt Gingrich and the Republican congress wouldn't approve his budgets (he had to revise it five times), and pushed him into things like welfare cuts. Republicans in Congress were hell-bent to balance the budget, and did it in 4 years.

He and Hillary tried to pass "Hillarycare" which would have done to the deficit and economy what Obamacare has done.
      05-25-2016, 05:11 AM   #34
ard5040
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 e90 M3

I can envision all you conservatives checking your "facts" on some right wing website. I'll bet I can find one that states emphatically that elephants are pink. Do you remember glasnost and perestroika? Gorbachev's refusal to react to Poland, Romania, and Yugoslavia's leaving the Soviet Union ended the cold war. Not "Ronnie's" standing in front of the Berlin Wall thinking that he was in another B rated movie from the 50's. We can thank him for ending institutional care for the mentally ill, forcing thousands into homelessness, in addition to deficits approaching $300 trillion. Clinton's first budget, which proposed tax increases on the top 10% and modest cuts began lowering the debt before the end of his second year in office. By his second term we had surpluses thanks to the "dot com bubble". You're right, he doesn't get credit for that but neither do Reagan or Bush 1, shit just happens. By the way, the surplus would have been greater if Newt and the Republican congress hadn't spent 60 mil to investigate a blowjob. I know, I know, the sanctity of the oval office. Tell me that you're not so niave that you think that Republicans never got them in the White House.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2016, 04:06 PM   #35
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard5040
I can envision all you conservatives checking your "facts" on some right wing website. I'll bet I can find one that states emphatically that elephants are pink. Do you remember glasnost and perestroika? Gorbachev's refusal to react to Poland, Romania, and Yugoslavia's leaving the Soviet Union ended the cold war. Not "Ronnie's" standing in front of the Berlin Wall thinking that he was in another B rated movie from the 50's. We can thank him for ending institutional care for the mentally ill, forcing thousands into homelessness, in addition to deficits approaching $300 trillion. Clinton's first budget, which proposed tax increases on the top 10% and modest cuts began lowering the debt before the end of his second year in office. By his second term we had surpluses thanks to the "dot com bubble". You're right, he doesn't get credit for that but neither do Reagan or Bush 1, shit just happens. By the way, the surplus would have been greater if Newt and the Republican congress hadn't spent 60 mil to investigate a blowjob. I know, I know, the sanctity of the oval office. Tell me that you're not so niave that you think that Republicans never got them in the White House.
Well... I'd be interested to hear how Reagan ran up a deficit of "$300 Trillion?"

If it's true about Glasnost and Perestroika, I wonder why Poland, et.al. wanted to leave the Soviet Union at all? Could that be because they were being exploited by the Russians to siphon off money for the arms race that Reagan forced them into?

Reagan also didn't ruin the mental health system. In 1967 he signed a law as CA governor which prohibited forces medication or extended hospital stays without a judicial hearing - it was in fashion at the time to view mentally ill people as just having a different perspective (see the movie "One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest). Then the ACLU started bringing court cases against anyone who tried to get a relative committed to a mental institution. The Supreme Court finally ruled in the ACLU's favor in O'Connor vs. Donaldson. Community counseling was supposed to replace the mental health system, but (amazingly...) mentally ill people didn't keep their counseling appointments, so they closed.

I don't think the Republicans were so worried about the blowjob, or even that the President was exploiting his office to get one. I think it was his lying under oath, and shaking his finger in the voters face while lying again. Maybe that was a problem for a few?

But alas - it doesn't sound like you are open to any other perspectives.
      05-26-2016, 11:56 AM   #36
ard5040
Captain
Rep

bbbb thanks for pointing out the error. Billion not trillion. Still, I think you would agree, not insignificant. In 1980, one month before the election, Jimmy Carter signed the Federal Mental Health Systems Act which was intended to provide federal dollars to0 struggling state run hospitals. Reagan abolished it within a month of taking office. I liked your reference to One Flew Over ..., You might read Edmund Morris' authorized biography, Dutch, where he describes Reagan's disdain, even contempt, for his father who was a mentally ill alcoholic. Reagan emptied mental health facilities not because that's how people viewed mental illness then, but rather a personal feeling that the ill were in some way weak. Regarding the end of the Cold War, after reading that Reagan's closest advisers were extremely concerned about his mental capacity by early '87, later to be diagnosed as alzhiemers, I don't know how much credit you can give the man for anything that happened in the last thee years of his second term. If you ask a horse what's 2+2, and he stomps his hoof 4 times, does that mean he has the mental capacity of a 7 year old?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 12:55 PM   #37
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
bbbb thanks for pointing out the error. Billion not trillion. Still, I think you would agree, not insignificant. In 1980, one month before the election, Jimmy Carter signed the Federal Mental Health Systems Act which was intended to provide federal dollars to0 struggling state run hospitals. Reagan abolished it within a month of taking office. I liked your reference to One Flew Over ..., You might read Edmund Morris' authorized biography, Dutch, where he describes Reagan's disdain, even contempt, for his father who was a mentally ill alcoholic. Reagan emptied mental health facilities not because that's how people viewed mental illness then, but rather a personal feeling that the ill were in some way weak. Regarding the end of the Cold War, after reading that Reagan's closest advisers were extremely concerned about his mental capacity by early '87, later to be diagnosed as alzhiemers, I don't know how much credit you can give the man for anything that happened in the last thee years of his second term. If you ask a horse what's 2+2, and he stomps his hoof 4 times, does that mean he has the mental capacity of a 7 year old?
I honestly don't think that's true about mental hospitals. JFK was the first to start the dismantling of mental hospitals:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comm...tal_Health_Act

Carter's mental health act was to provide funding for community mental health centers - not mental hospitals. Reagan, as the Wiki article says, reversed it in favor of block grants to the states - which gave the state's more control.

In defense of JFK and Carter, psych meds at the time were new, and many people were able to lead independent lives, as long as they took their meds. It's reasonable to think they were trying to get people out of inpatient mental hospitals, which can be a dumping ground.

But the ACLU/legal community focus on individual rights of the mentally ill has been a major issue in those people ending up on the street. Ask someone with a seriously mentally ill relative what it's like to get them committed against their will. It's a tough issue, and we see the unfortunate outcomes. This was not Reagan.

Edit: here's a good overview of the history in CA:

http://www.ukiahdailyjournal.com/opi...l-health-myths
      05-26-2016, 03:14 PM   #38
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I just looked up Edmund Morris' "authorized" biography of Reagan:

"There is much controversy about the book, cited by the Amazon.com editorial staff as "one of the most unusual and critically scrutinized biographies ever written,because of the fictional characters in display."[1] Debate exists as to whether Dutch should even be referred to as a biography at all."

"The biography has caused confusion in that it contains a few characters who never existed and scenes in which they interact with real people. Morris goes so far as to include misleading endnotes about such imaginary characters to thoroughly confuse his reading audience. Elsewhere, scenes are dramatized or completely made up."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutc..._Ronald_Reagan
      05-26-2016, 07:36 PM   #39
ard5040
Captain
Rep

bbbb, sounds like you're not open to other perspectives yourself. Read the book, instead of watching a movie or reading someone else's opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 09:08 PM   #40
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
bbbb, sounds like you're not open to other perspectives yourself. Read the book, instead of watching a movie or reading someone else's opinion.
Sorry, I don't read fiction. Morris apparently wrote the book about a fictional "Edmund Morris" (25 years younger than Morris himself), who fictionally interacts with Reagan. The book was widely panned - I don't want to spend time on it.
      05-27-2016, 08:36 AM   #41
ard5040
Captain
Rep

So if a book or academic paper or article doesn't agree with YOUR (which apparently is Rush"s, Sean's, Mark's, or Bill's) definition of fact, then it's not factual? Have you read American Theocracy or Dark Money? Probably not. It would mean that you'd have to face the reality that you, and other middle class conservatives, have been tools of a handful of billionaires.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 08:53 AM   #42
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 amg

Quote:
Lol, that's putting it mildly. Ask him about evolution for a real treat

2008 dct coupe, evolve engine/dct tune, ttp, ms intake, megan exhaust, cf ds. Sold.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 09:15 AM   #43
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So if a book or academic paper or article doesn't agree with YOUR (which apparently is Rush"s, Sean's, Mark's, or Bill's) definition of fact, then it's not factual? Have you read American Theocracy or Dark Money? Probably not. It would mean that you'd have to face the reality that you, and other middle class conservatives, have been tools of a handful of billionaires.
It's fictional - and I'm certainly not the only one who sees it that way. Morris even made up his own footnotes, to further obfuscate fiction from and potential fact. Morris even said he got almost nothing from his time with Reagan and his cabinet.
      05-27-2016, 09:17 AM   #44
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc
Quote:
Lol, that's putting it mildly. Ask him about evolution for a real treat
I don't recall contradicting the theory of evolution? But it is a theory that continues to evolve - it's clearly not "settled science.."