Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafelabdal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBahn View Post
the autonomous driving problem is very hard and the OEMs have decided the amount of risk (i.e. hands off the wheel) they allow.

Also, no one has L3 available. They're all working on it... investing heavily in hardware and developers to build their respective systems (I work with a couple of them). The easy part is keeping speed with the vehicle in front... staying in the lane... etc...most brands do that very well. The hard part is all the unknown variables... road debris, animal, pedestrian, random thing falling out of the truck in front.... and that's not even the local driving... intersections, 4-way stop, yielding to other traffic, and a slew of other things that I haven't written... It's gonna take a _long_ time before it's anywhere near "full" autonomy vs assisted driving.... no matter what Elon says.... which is usually BS.

Agree with you 100%. We are no where near "FULL" autonomy. My estimation is 2035. I am talking about self drive capability that require NO human intervention at all where you can literally sleep in your car. One must also remember that our entire highways, freeways, and roads would have to be converted gradually to "smart" roads to accommodate this leap. I'll be surprised if we achieve this before the mid 2030s.
Mid 2030s?? A typical smart conversion road project in the UK for a 30-mile stretch will take 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 01:36 PM   #46
Mikli
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05F36F16F82E90E86E46E36E30

Is this what "Parking Assistant Professional" 5DW does? Is it a wasteful option in Canada? Only $500 though.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 12:44 AM   #47
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikli View Post
Is this what "Parking Assistant Professional" 5DW does? Is it a wasteful option in Canada? Only $500 though.
LOL, of course not.
This is just a demo of what it can potentially do.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 01:21 PM   #48
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

So the sequence of events is that they get out of the car, the car drives itself to a parking spot to get a charge, then drives itself to a car wash, then picks them up. Does the charge port flap have motorized open and close functionality, then? It was clearly closed post-charge when it went through the wash. Or would you still need human intervention to open and close it?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 04:41 PM   #49
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird~Dawg View Post
Does the charge port flap have motorized open and close functionality, then? It was clearly closed post-charge when it went through the wash. Or would you still need human intervention to open and close it?
Since they resort to using a robot arm to plug in the charger, I'm sure they can use a robot arm to open the flap.
Appreciate 0