BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

11-29-2021, 10:59 AM   #23
Evrim
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xDrive 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco_iX View Post
Anyone know if the “Sport” front/back bumper change the drag on the car?
I want to maximize the miles on an electric car…. Also the 20” wheels give you the best range in the iX followed by the 22”, and the worst range is by the 21” wheels (something to keep in mind) for people like me that like to squeeze every mile in an electric car.
Thank you for the information.

But I couldn’t understand how 21” is worse then 22” wheels. 22” has larger friction (wider surface than 21) and also as per my basic knowledge, larger inch increases the consumption.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 02:14 PM   #24
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Anyone know if the “Sport” front/back bumper change the drag on the car?
I want to maximize the miles on an electric car…. Also the 20” wheels give you the best range in the iX followed by the 22”, and the worst range is by the 21” wheels (something to keep in mind) for people like me that like to squeeze every mile in an electric car.
I don't think the sport bumpers change anything.
What are you basing your info on to say that the 21" wheels are worse for range than the 22"?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 03:02 PM   #25
Loco_iX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
What are you basing your info on to say that the 21" wheels are worse for range than the 22"?
It’s somewhere on their website
20” 325 miles
21” 275 miles
22” 300 miles

I don’t know how the bigger 22”s have a better range, but that’s what they said…
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 03:40 PM   #26
Evrim
Turkey
Rep

That is interesting.

Actually I have checked but couldn’t find that info. Technically, that is not possible because larger the wheel means larger in all dimensions. Basic information is that, holding all other variables constant, larger wheel has more consumption. This is applicable for all EVs and others.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 05:36 PM   #27
Kennethjk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911S, Mustang Mach E,

Quote:
It’s somewhere on their website
20” 325 miles
21” 275 miles
22” 300 miles

I don’t know how the bigger 22”s have a better range, but that’s what they said…
I found the same thing on BMW website, I believe in q&a area
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 06:32 PM   #28
Loco_iX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
I actually had asked them this question in an email, and they just answered me today…..
The shadowline has 0.30 of drag coefficient and the sport has a 0.25 drag coefficient . Unfortunately the “sport” doesn’t come with 20” (the best range) wheels…
Just for comparison the car with the best drag coefficient at the moment is the Mercedes EQS with 0.20, followed closely by Lucid and Tesla model S @ 0.21
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 12:52 AM   #29
kid2010
Private
Rep
Drives: iX 2022

The range situation on the US site is a little weird. The 21" - 275 miles data, 22" - 300 miles were shown under Charging Q&A. However, when playing with the configurator from other regions that actually provides "live" range estimation (UK or Germany), the 21" always have a slightly longer range than 22".

Not sure which one to trust now.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:50 AM   #30
Evrim
Turkey
Rep

After a bit of checking, I realized that range values on BMW US and Canada sites are based on EPA, while European sites are based on WLTP.

There is also a notice on USA website saying “ The EPA and US Department of Energy estimates have not been released for the 2022 BMW iX.”

As far as I know, WLTP is for European roads (more city driving) and EPA is for US roads (more freeway driving).

For example, WLTP of xdrive 40 is between 246-257 miles. Whereas xdrive 50 is between 365-380 miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:52 AM   #31
Evrim
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid2010 View Post
The range situation on the US site is a little weird. The 21" - 275 miles data, 22" - 300 miles were shown under Charging Q&A. However, when playing with the configurator from other regions that actually provides "live" range estimation (UK or Germany), the 21" always have a slightly longer range than 22".

Not sure which one to trust now.
I think there is a typo error in USA website. Theoretically 22” cannot have longer range than 21”.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 12:05 PM   #32
Evrim
Turkey
Rep

Additionally, there are nice explanations on BMW UK website:

“ High average speeds (motorway) reduce the range most significantly, while inner-city traffic leads to a higher range due to lower speed and higher recuperation shares (in contrast to vehicles with internal combustion engines). Furthermore, the range is reduced at low temperatures due to heating, and high temperatures with strong air conditioning. The vehicle load, for example the number of passengers carried as well as the amount of luggage, as well as optional equipment fitted to a vehicle can also impact the range. The selection of larger alloy wheel and tyre sizes generally reduces the range (if the aerodynamic disadvantage is not compensated for by a more closed wheel design). The rolling resistance class of tyres is also relevant for the range: e.g. the use of a winter tyre reduces the range compared to a Label A summer tyre.”

“ In the model selection, the communicated range is based on the WLTP (Worldwide harmonized Light-Duty Test Procedure) cycle.

WLTP enables a calculation of the range under prescribed driving conditions. WLTP assumes a defensive driving style with a route mix of city streets, country roads and highways.

The range indicator enables you to estimate the range based on the effect of three variable factors (Driving style, ambient temperature and use of air conditioning). The actual range achieved will depend on a number of other variable factors as set out in the ‘In detail’ section above.

The outer circle represents the calculated range value based on linear distances (not the actual street map), while the inner circle shows the calculated value -30% to take the real-world routes into account.

All range figures shown assume the battery has been fully charged.”

Source: https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/all-models/...range-charging
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 03:26 PM   #33
Loco_iX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evrim View Post
After a bit of checking, I realized that range values on BMW US and Canada sites are based on EPA, while European sites are based on WLTP.

There is also a notice on USA website saying “ The EPA and US Department of Energy estimates have not been released for the 2022 BMW iX.”

As far as I know, WLTP is for European roads (more city driving) and EPA is for US roads (more freeway driving).

For example, WLTP of xdrive 40 is between 246-257 miles. Whereas xdrive 50 is between 365-380 miles.
You are comparing an X50 against a X40. In Europe you have 2 options, in the US only the X50 with a bigger battery (hence more range) is the only trim available.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 03:41 PM   #34
Evrim
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
You are comparing an X50 against a X40. In Europe you have 2 options, in the US only the X50 with a bigger battery (hence more range) is the only trim available.
Actually I wanted to focus on ranges via WLTP standard.

In USA, all range information is given through EPA.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 06:40 PM   #35
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
The shadowline has 0.30 of drag coefficient and the sport has a 0.25 drag coefficient
that is an insanely big difference... I mean if it made that big of a change to the CD then the range figures on the website should officially reflect that. I looked at a few variants of the BMW site (i.e. Uk, German) which show range when you build your iX and none of them show this difference in range based on the sports package bumpers.

Maybe I'm in the weeds here, but I would challenge that figure and ask them why do the websites not show this difference when they went through the trouble of doing it for each different wheel you can get. Seems odd to me, but what do I know
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 07:28 PM   #36
slampert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOP View Post
Just paint those crystal things.
Paint them black.
Or you could carefully mask off and shoot a bit of dulling spray. Might look better than black....
Appreciate 0