Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

08-05-2021, 07:23 PM   #45
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Truth is reality
Oh why not ban yourself ⁉️
You are wasting your time preaching Tesla in a BMW dedicated forum.
If I want a Tesla, I would be writing in a Tesla forum right now.

And I can't see how BMW is "way behind" Tesla when you can't even get basic safety features like Cross Traffic Alert and Blind spot indicator; or convenient features like 360 degree camera, HUD or massage seats in a Tesla.
You're wasting your time lecturing me as I own a BMW and I have mad respect for Tesla regardless of your opinion

Tesla has everybody beat with their batteries, their battery factories, and they're supercharger network

That's just the reality of it all… BMW is at least five years or more behind in the EV race
      08-05-2021, 08:11 PM   #46
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
You're wasting your time lecturing me as I own a BMW and I have mad respect for Tesla regardless of your opinion

Tesla has everybody beat with their batteries, their battery factories, and they're supercharger network

That's just the reality of it all… BMW is at least five years or more behind in the EV race
The answer is not so simple.

1) Tesla has absolute global industry leadership (pending Lucid) on batteries, electric powertrains, and recharging network. No question. They earned respect for this and deserve it.

2) Almost every other brand leads Tesla in the ability wrap a quality automobile around those best-in-class, state of the art components, as reported and documented by Tesla's own owner body in large sample data.

Remains such a shame Tesla didn't partner with a company who knows how to design and assemble the rest of the vehicle. High sales volume is not a rebuttal. McD sells lots of hamburgers and some may think that is good food.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13119.00
      08-05-2021, 09:37 PM   #47
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
I have no intention of "lecturing you" - that would be absolutely wasting my time.
I have seen too many of your kind - Tesla fanatics, who would keep defending Tesla to no ends. And it's the typical bragging about EV and battery tech, insane acceleration etc, and the willingness to overlook everything else including the glaring deficiencies I pointed out.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 10:12 PM   #48
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:

The answer is not so simple.

1) Tesla has absolute global industry leadership (pending Lucid) on batteries, electric powertrains, and recharging network. No question. They earned respect for this and deserve it.

2) Almost every other brand leads Tesla in the ability wrap a quality automobile around those best-in-class, state of the art components, as reported and documented by Tesla's own owner body in large sample data.

Remains such a shame Tesla didn't partner with a company who knows how to design and assemble the rest of the vehicle. High sales volume is not a rebuttal. McD sells lots of hamburgers and some may think that is good food.
Rome wasn't built in a day…

I agree the quality isn't a comparison but they have everyone in the technology arena

Sandy says the Model Y is the best EV made currently and the only one he'd buy, snd actually owns one as well

08-05-2021, 11:04 PM   #49
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I agree the quality isn't a comparison but they have everyone in the technology arena

Sandy says the Model Y is the best EV made currently and the only one he'd buy, snd actually owns one as well

Perhaps ownership has affected his impartiality. This example alone renders Model Y, along with other Tesla quality spills, as beneath consideration for me, no matter the performance, range, or recharging. I'd stay with ICE first.

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/36274/...rade-fake-wood

Tesla is a company of powertrain/battery leading edge experts...but automotive amateurs. "Rome" may take decades to build at this rate for them.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 02:48 AM   #50
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:

Perhaps ownership has affected his impartiality. This example alone renders Model Y, along with other Tesla quality spills, as beneath consideration for me, no matter the performance, range, or recharging. I'd stay with ICE first.

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/36274/...rade-fake-wood

Tesla is a company of powertrain/battery leading edge experts...but automotive amateurs. "Rome" may take decades to build at this rate for them.

Sandy is the Almanac and know all of reverse engineering, and he knows the cost Analysis and the technical breakdowns of every car made today and according to him Tesla is 5-7 years ahead of every other EV made today regardless of the manufacture And that refers to the car not the Supercharger network or their clear advantage of battery technology which smokes everybody to date

I trust his knowledge if you are tuned in you'd know he's the gospel of facts and he understands more than anyone else period
      08-06-2021, 08:57 AM   #51
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Sandy is the Almanac and know all of reverse engineering, and he knows the cost Analysis and the technical breakdowns of every car made today and according to him Tesla is 5-7 years ahead of every other EV made today regardless of the manufacture And that refers to the car not the Supercharger network or their clear advantage of battery technology which smokes everybody to date

I trust his knowledge if you are tuned in you'd know he's the gospel of facts and he understands more than anyone else period
I've been in enough tear downs through the excellent team we had at my prior car company (before retirement) and competitive suppliers to Sandy, such as A2Mac1, to know the importance of professional tear-down expertise. I do not disagree with you that he has encyclopedic knowledge and has been a top source for his particular field. Even if we are not distracted by his supposed personal purchase of a Tesla or by his controversial purchase and sale of Tesla stock without ongoing disclosure, there remain some overarching realities. He speaks about the specific OEM-side issues you accurately describe in your first sentence, although his apparent silence (unless I missed it) about the wood parts used in the Model Y engine compartment is bizarre, unless we can uncover his reason for not commenting. Secondly, when he speaks of Tesla, he is speaking in a narrow universe of comparing among other EV technology vehicles, which Tesla clearly leads, as of today. However, there are far higher overall quality vehicles available independent of powertrain. Per Tesla owners, that would be almost any other OEM. With the onslaught of new models in the next few years, that will include among EVs as well. Independent of the battery technology where competitors have a lot of catching up to do, a Mercedes EQC, for one example, will be a clearly higher overall quality vehicle from a consumer perspective than any Model Y could hope to be. I suspect a Cadillac Lyriq will be there as well.

A good tear down Engineer is highly valuable to a manufacturer to help guide design and cost efficiencies. As to pronouncements to the overall consumer quality experience of owning/driving a car...not so much and certainly not gospel.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 12:06 PM   #52
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:

I've been in enough tear downs through the excellent team we had at my prior car company (before retirement) and competitive suppliers to Sandy, such as A2Mac1, to know the importance of professional tear-down expertise. I do not disagree with you that he has encyclopedic knowledge and has been a top source for his particular field. Even if we are not distracted by his supposed personal purchase of a Tesla or by his controversial purchase and sale of Tesla stock without ongoing disclosure, there remain some overarching realities. He speaks about the specific OEM-side issues you accurately describe in your first sentence, although his apparent silence (unless I missed it) about the wood parts used in the Model Y engine compartment is bizarre, unless we can uncover his reason for not commenting. Secondly, when he speaks of Tesla, he is speaking in a narrow universe of comparing among other EV technology vehicles, which Tesla clearly leads, as of today. However, there are far higher overall quality vehicles available independent of powertrain. Per Tesla owners, that would be almost any other OEM. With the onslaught of new models in the next few years, that will include among EVs as well. Independent of the battery technology where competitors have a lot of catching up to do, a Mercedes EQC, for one example, will be a clearly higher overall quality vehicle from a consumer perspective than any Model Y could hope to be. I suspect a Cadillac Lyriq will be there as well.

A good tear down Engineer is highly valuable to a manufacturer to help guide design and cost efficiencies. As to pronouncements to the overall consumer quality experience of owning/driving a car...not so much and certainly not gospel.
If you watch his tear-downs you'll figure out real quick that Tesla is years ahead of everybody VW included

Although he did like VW's modular designed e motor cradle
      08-06-2021, 01:07 PM   #53
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If you watch his tear-downs you'll figure out real quick that Tesla is years ahead of everybody VW included

With EV technology, batteries, motors, no doubt that it true and no disagreement there. If I had my own car company, I would source EV powertrains from Tesla, if they had such a business model. But, that is where it ends. I would not be interested his design office, body engineering, suspension engineering, assembly, paint, interior trim, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 01:18 PM   #54
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:

With EV technology, batteries, motors, no doubt that it true and no disagreement there. If I had my own car company, I would source EV powertrains from Tesla, if they had such a business model. But, that is where it ends. I would not be interested his design office, body engineering, suspension engineering, assembly, paint, interior trim, etc.
I completely understand your POV

That said, recent reviews of the new Model S Plaid shows huge improvements in quality and fit and finish of the entire car

So there is hope in that regard
      08-06-2021, 01:46 PM   #55
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Why there is a Tesla discussion in a BMW M Performance parts thread?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 01:51 PM   #56
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Good point and true!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13119.00
      08-06-2021, 02:23 PM   #57
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Why?

There's enough censorship in this world right now so my apologies but hopefully you can get over it
      08-06-2021, 02:26 PM   #58
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Why?

There's enough censorship in this world right now so my apologies but hopefully you can get over it
Another good point! This forum has been very quiet so any opportunity to engage with another smart and interesting member is welcome, even if we stray a bit. Not like we are blocking out a mainstream of conversation. Wish there was more going on here!
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13119.00
      08-06-2021, 02:32 PM   #59
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Why?

Another good point! This forum has been very quiet so any opportunity to engage with another smart and interesting member is welcome, even if we stray a bit. Not like we are blocking out a mainstream of conversation. Wish there was more going on here!

Likewise

And well said I might add
      08-06-2021, 04:50 PM   #60
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Why?

Ok, now the discussion is about censorship? Dude, stop the nonsense. This is a parts thread, there is a general discussion forum about everything else.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 05:45 PM   #61
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Why?

Ok, now the discussion is about censorship? Dude, stop the nonsense. This is a parts thread, there is a general discussion forum about everything else.
Try getting over yourself and maybe get a life while you're at it

08-08-2021, 02:34 AM   #62
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iToy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3RTA View Post
Quote:
Please let that carbon fiber gear shift trim fit my G20 M340i
This should fit as it looks identical. They did do an alcantara one which for some reason was only mentioned & possibly sold in Canada. I only hope they do an open pore as well as a gloss version.
Quote:
Quote:
Please let that carbon fiber gear shift trim fit my G20 M340i
This should fit as it looks identical. They did do an alcantara one which for some reason was only mentioned & possibly sold in Canada. I only hope they do an open pore as well as a gloss version.
Even the alcantara one sounds very nice. Thanks for that. Have you ever found a part number for it? I will spend all day on realoem.com today . I agree about the open pore. Would be great
Sorry for the late reply as it has taken me an age to locate the part number. Luckily I took a screenshot & saved it on my phone.

[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Appreciate 1
330iToy71.00
      08-10-2021, 04:18 PM   #63
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply as it has taken me an age to locate the part number. Luckily I took a screenshot & saved it on my phone.

[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Not sure if the above is showing correctly as tried from the app & looking on the computer nothing is showing so I'll try again:

Name:  20200520_185437.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  556.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 06:50 AM   #64
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Please let that carbon fiber gear shift trim fit my G20 M340i. I actually might be looking an a I4 as well. It would fit my current old ass. Major performance. I might be disappointed in the handling. My E90 M3 and 2004 330i ZHP handle like nothing currently. Have not driven the G80 though. Passed on all the F M3's.
I tried sending you a PM but your inbox is full.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 10:17 AM   #65
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
To add to this, getting a Model 3 associates one with Tesla stans who make stupid comments like the one you are responding to. Tesla stans are a cult much like vegans, crossfitters, coal rollers, etc.

Plus, everybody and their mother drives a Model 3, and it's never the enthusiast-type.
Another thing about Tesla is that...
Okay, they're good at battery tech and EV performance. But how much better they can get? I think it's fair to make the argument that performance and battery life won't matter in near future. Once you reach 500 miles range, and 0-60 in 2 sec, there's nowhere else to go except for maybe decreasing battery weight.

My point is, Tesla is great at EV performance and batteries; which won't matter at all once a certain threshold is reached by all manufacturers. Everything else will be differentiating factors: driving experience, weight management, interior comfort and quality. Everything that Tesla is bad at.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0