Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
For those that want:

1. Hardtop
2. Less weight
3. Cheaper MSRP as hinted by even this forum's insider and mod.
4. Some people may like the styling over the Z4.
Different strokes for different folks.
at that price range it's comparable to a fully loaded M2C and the starting point of M3/M4s. I just don't see anyone capable of that price range not dishing out a few thousand more for a true upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #772
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420Coupe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
For those that want:

1. Hardtop
2. Less weight
3. Cheaper MSRP as hinted by even this forum's insider and mod.
4. Some people may like the styling over the Z4.
Different strokes for different folks.
at that price range it's comparable to a fully loaded M2C and the starting point of M3/M4s. I just don't see anyone capable of that price range not dishing out a few thousand more for a true upgrade.
Smaller, lighter cars do hold appeal for many of us. I'd have a Cayman GTS over an M2C, even though it's down on power and costs more.
Appreciate 1
supra932474.00
      07-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #773
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #774
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
...but with BMW listing weight of a soft top Z4 at over 3,300, I just don't see it happening.
They’ve already listed the weight of the NEW Z4?
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #775
supra93
Colonel
Rep

New interview with chief engineer Tetsuya Tada on the Toyota Supra

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/new-toyota-...r-tetsuya-tada

Quote:
New interview with chief engineer Tetsuya Tada on the Toyota Supra

The first Supra model was produced in 1978, and 40 years later the hotly anticipated, all-new fifth-generation model has been revealed in prototype form. It’s been experienced dynamically at the famous Goodwood Festival of Speed hill course and showcased statically at a special invite-only event for Supra enthusiasts.

At all times, chief engineer Tetsuya Tada has proudly accompanied his ‘new baby’ and been eager to reveal tantalising glimpses into its development and specifications. The following is a transcript of our discussion together.

How long have you been working on the Supra project?
Tada: “Since 2012, so nearly seven years… a long time. The normal cycle for car development is around three years but with this project we wanted to make absolutely sure it was right.”

How does it feel to finally reveal the prototype after such an extended development programme?
Tada: “All I can say is that I’m just so happy that we’ve made it to this point. I’ve finally been able to reveal the car to the UK; it’s the happiest day of my life. And to drive it up the hill at Goodwood was a really exciting experience.”

You introduced the GT86 as your ‘passion project.’ Did the Supra project arouse similar feelings?
Tada: “Of course. It was imbued with a lot passion. Before the GT86 arrived, Toyota had not produced a sports car for a while, so there was a lot of ground to catch up. But for the Supra project we already had the experience from developing the GT86 and were able to start from a much higher level. This meant we were aiming for a much higher level in the finished car.”

Were you trying to create a big brother for the GT86?
Tada: “Akio [Toyoda] has always said that as a company he would like to have Three Brothers, with the GT86 in the middle and Supra as the big brother. So we’ve tried to aim for the Supra to offer an overwhelming superiority in all attributes. For example, people were happy that the GT86 had a very low centre of gravity… but the Supra has an even lower centre of gravity, and its body rigidity is twice that of the GT86.

“It’s actually the same level of rigidity as the Lexus LFA supercar, and it has been achieved without using carbon fibre so we could keep the price point at an affordable level. That was the most difficult thing to achieve. But I’m pleased we were successful because when I was sitting in the queue to go up the hill at Goodwood, I was surrounded by all these amazing supercars and thinking: ‘This is the cheapest car in the line by a long way – probably about a tenth of the price – but we got the biggest cheer!’

“The track width is also wider, of course. But it may surprise people to know that the new Supra has a shorter wheelbase than the GT86. The car was developed with a specific ratio of wheelbase and track in mind, and I think we’ve been able to achieve the balance that we were looking for.”

How do you think the new A90 will be received by hardcore Supra fans?
Tada: “I’m really looking forward to hearing from them, actually. Thinking back to the introduction of the GT86, some owners of classic AE86 models were quite hard to please and were very critical of the new car. So it may be similar with this car. I know there are hardcore owners of the previous generations out there and it may be hard to convince them just by introducing a new car.

“But I have an open stance and want to offer my respect for the older Supra models. In turn, I hope the owners will be open enough to see what the new model is all about, even if it takes them some time to fully accept it.”

As this is the fifth-generation Supra, can you give us five things that you would like Supra fans to know about the car?
Tada: “First of all, the Supra has always had an inline six-cylinder engine, and of course we have that with the new car, too. Secondly, all generations had a front-mounted engine and rear-wheel drive; that is also the same here.

“I think for number three I would like to point out its design. We’ve taken cues from the A80 [fourth-generation Supra] and, although the design is not the same, we carried elements over so that when people look at the new car they can tell immediately that it is a Supra.

“Number four is that if you look across the previous generations, each of them have been exciting in their own right and in their own era. We wanted to achieve the same thing with this new-generation car, and I believe that when it goes on sale next year it will be the most fun-to-drive car in its class.

“Looking at the current automotive industry, the talk is all about autonomous driving, electrification and artificial intelligence. What that’s doing is giving rise to a lot of strict regulations, and that limits our capacity to make emotional sports cars; it’s getting much more difficult to do that. So for the fifth point, I think the new Supra will be the last present from Toyota to those who enjoy hearing the pleasing sound of a pure petrol engine at high revs.

“Those are my five highlights, and I hope that people will be able to enjoy the new Supra for a long time to come. Perhaps in another 30 years we will be able to meet again and talk about how good it was.”
Appreciate 1
420Coupe222.50
      07-19-2018, 12:05 PM   #776
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
They’ve already listed the weight of the NEW Z4?
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/p...m40i-roadster/

Not officially, but here is a estimate from Automoblie.

L x W x H 170.1 x 73.3 x 51.3 in
WHEELBASE 97.2 in
WEIGHT 3,384 lb (est, Euro-spec)
0-60 MPH 4.4 sec (est, Euro-spec)
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      07-19-2018, 12:38 PM   #777
Speedwell-Industries
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3

The new Supra is looking great
Appreciate 2
      07-19-2018, 12:38 PM   #778
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

I think that weight was from the prototypes that the press drove. But it does seem directionally sound. Porker.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 01:47 PM   #779
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Tetsuda:

"I think the new Supra will be the last present from Toyota to those who enjoy hearing the pleasing sound of a pure petrol engine at high revs."

Eeeek.

Get 'em while they're hot!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 09:49 PM   #780
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Here's Where the New Toyota Supra Story Began

Quote:
The GR Racing Concept revealed at this month's Geneva Auto Show gave us a hint of what the new Toyota Supra will look like, and finally confirmed the return of the legendary nameplate. But it also represents the latest phase in the development of a car like no Toyota before it.

Three years before the red FT-1 concept's Detroit 2014 unveiling gave us our first tangible indication that a fifth-generation Supra might be in the works, Toyota and BMW jointly announced plans in December 2011 to identify and discuss potential collaborative projects.

Speaking with Autotrader at the Geneva Auto Show, Supra chief engineer Tetsuya Tada told the story of where his involvement kicked off.

In February 2012, Tada-san (then Toyota 86 chief engineer) attended the 86's first European media drive event in Spain.

But halfway through the event, he received a phone call from Toyota headquarters, and was told to immediately leave for Munich to visit BMW headquarters -- without giving away his destination. He discovered their discussion would delve into the potential of joint development projects between the Toyota and BMW.

He reported back to his superiors, explaining that a joint development project could be possible -- just two months after the announcement of Toyota and BMW's potential collaboration.

Five months later, in late June 2012, Toyota and BMW publicly announced the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding between the two, "aimed at long-term strategic collaboration in four fields: Joint development of a fuel cell system, joint development of architecture and components for a future sports vehicle, collaboration on powertrain electrification and joint research and development on lightweight technologies."

The keywords here are clearly 'sports' and 'vehicle,' but Tada San explained the decision to make it a Supra took two more years.

"In the beginning, we had many other possibilities that we discussed; mid-ship sports car could be a possibility, or a high deck car could be another possibility," Tada said. This had two potential results: A new MR2, or a new SUV. The MR2 had been absent from Toyota's global line-up since 2007.

The two years spent deciding on Supra coincides with the unveiling of the red FT-1 concept at the 2014 Detroit Motor Show. While FT-1 actually stands for Future Toyota 1, it seemed to be code for Supra.

Fast forward to the Geneva show early this month, and the Supra GR Racing Concept is effectively the new A90 generation hiding behind a bunch of tasty GT3-like racing mods. We know the production version will share its underpinnings with the next Z4, and house a turbocharged BMW straight-six under its hood. Here's hoping we get the 86 big brother with a heart of M240i we all want it to be.
https://content.autotrader.com/conte...le.275456.html
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 09:46 PM   #781
supra93
Colonel
Rep

http://club4ag.com/chief-engineer-te...ment-with-bmw/

Quote:
CHIEF ENGINEER TETSUYA TADA, REVEALS THE A90 SUPRA, FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF A JOINT DEVELOPMENT WITH BMW

Making the Supra in hindsight: The BMW Joint Development of the Toyota A90 Supra
Past weeked of July 12~15 was the first revealing of the Toyota Supra in public light, and in running, near-production form.
Staged at the Goodwood Festival of Speed it was met with loads of media, both on sight and online.
In this translated article, one of Japan's leading automotive media, "Holiday Auto" managed to dig a little deeper into the mind of the Chief Engineer, Tetsuya Tada.
Along with what I gleaned too from my first person encounter face to face on this in the last few months.

----

Why Goodwood Festival of Speed as the first reveal?

The car we used at the Goodwood Festival of Speed is what we (Toyota) call a Pre-Production Vehicle. (Normally Toyota produces a few samples of the near final production-trim cars about 6 months before the start of line-assembly, and are used for reveals and final stages of component testing, dealer feedback, and other roles as we near sales date. We build another batch during MPT, on the actual line 2 months ahead to make sure the factory works well, then another called QCS which is 1 month ahead to address final quality concerns. )

The Pre-Production unit is very close to the production models in its near final form, with the only major difference is that this is hand-built before the factory is setup.

We didn't have a plan to drive at the Festival at all, and the car was bound for the UK for testing on urban road surfaces of that area. We received an invitation generously from the production team of Goodwood event, to have it be a feature car, and by our luck the car was nearby so we decided to enter it.

During the Parade Run, we wanted to reveal as much as we could without going into much finer details. We wanted to let the audience hear the engine and exhaust note. Due to the speed and distance/duration constraints it wasn't like a full attack of the section, but I've kept the RPM high, and kept it in gear for deceleration too, so everyone could also hear the off-throttle noises too. The engine unit inside this Pre-Production was our inline 6 powerplant. A 3.0 Liter Turbocharged unit, if you are curious about numbers. It will be the flagship engine for this car.

We may also offer inline 4 variant for select markets where costs of a larger engine can be prohibitive in ownership or registration costs. That has yet to be determined, but we left some room for tuners and aftermarket on these engines, and it should be an interesting engine in that respect too.  One thing to add though, is that the unibody structure of the car is extremely light, and as such, some people might even prefer the 4 cylinders to seek a more intrinsic, and classical full throttle duration driving feel, and value agility above all. We hope this will be an exciting choice as well, not just economical.

BMW, Why?

How this whole thing started was in 2012. During the press release event of the then-new Toyota 86 in Europe. A BMW official there, and casually approached me and enthusiastically said to me. "Wouldn't it be fun, if we can join to produce a car together? And can we have a discussion at our BMW office if you are interested?" I really didn't visualize what that might even look like or how we could even do this. But I was flown immediately after the press event, to the German headquarters of BMW and there it looked to be a very inviting and fun project going forward, still without a plan, but enthusiasm was the mood of the meeting. I had not a slightest clue of what high hurdles and extreme challenges were ahead, looking back... All of which I can only smile and tell you now, that the car is running in final shape!

Initially, we didn't really have a clear goal as to what this car would be like, and BMW folks even asked us what we'd like to make. This is a very unusual experience as we do not normally form a meeting, and have another company ask what we like to build, ever! It's one thing if it was us inviting them, but this was the opposite. We didn't think of an idea at that point.
But a few days of brain storming, I had this recollection from a couple of years ago, when our CEO Akio Toyoda has exclaimed "Someday would it be nice, if the 86 has had a little brother and a big brother like in the past? I'd like to see this happen someday, to have 3 brothers in our lineup of sports cars again." At that point it was a natural flow to see if BMW could build the new big brother to the 86. It really was a coincidence that BMW was the only maker still producing a straight six engine, and our legendary Supra was also a car laureled on our flagship inline-six at the time. Perhaps it was some stroke of luck, or maybe a divine intervention. Who knows, but it fit.

The Start, The Struggles...

When we compare the previous collaboration with Subaru, this time it was much more of a challenge. The cultural barrier of German engineers, proud of their engineering, and our pride of what we do best collectively as teams from each firm was something astonishingly different. I won't get into much detail today, but even simple things had very different approaches, and thinking. There were people at BMW who've never driven a Toyota there or have had much exposure to the history and how we are known. From circumstances like this and many others, it was a whole list of tasks to even get them to understand why we do things our way, and what is crucial about our cars as opposed to their cars. It took a little over a year, but by this time, things were going much smoother and communication and focus much more sharply aimed. Bit by bit we started to envision the same goals as well as the distinct final products.

The Fundamental Differences

We've learned a lot from BMW. The task list of each step in car making they expended on R&D was impressive. I almost started to think if they had an infinite budget funding to the task of design. Each step just much more extensive (and expensive) than what we would normally expend in different areas. Just astonishing. I started to doubt myself if this whole thing can be accomplished in a manner that can profit as a product sold as a Toyota. But then as development proceeded into next phases I was comforted when I saw there were later stages where Toyota would be the exact opposite, and BMW couldn't believe how extensive some of our quality and efficiency studies were as parts came into shape one by one. We would take every bit down to a fastener or rivet, and put it through our stringent quality control and a dozen other testing, we'd ship thousands of parts back to Japan for analysis. That is normal to us. Each piece we test at our level, they were now the ones surprised.

Also impressive was the amount of road testing and final tuning they would do on each test mules. You'd think they are working on a final car when you look at the meticulous care they have toward a early testbed. They also love to print a complete modeling and design right down to the location of the badge, before we had decided on the car itself! I mean stacks and stacks of diagrams and blueprints, computer simulations, and so many man-hours of something that isn't a product yet...

BMW's fundamental difference in approach was that they wanted to design a package, and from there they would naturally evolve a shape and size of the body from that packaging, a functionally oriented goal. They'd often say to me, "the car will shape itself, as we put in the equipment where it needs to go." And they will spend a great deal of time in how to mechanically package this. I mean a lot of time. Our company (Toyota) with my tenure and experience, the focus was always design elements being the priority. We would first spend a lot of time on the shape and appeal of the car from visual perspective and adjust based on where mechanical things fit or how our assembly lines can be efficiently used. So that was a lot of differences there as the base of how we do things often seemed backwards to both of us. However, again, we learned a lot, and even developed a lot of new ways on how to think and do things too, tremendously.

Smooth, Respectful, and Focused Engineering and Design toward a Goal.

So, months and years went by working very efficiently by the latter half of the development. CEO Akio Toyoda came often to see us and seemed very interested on how it was coming along. It seemed he was most excited to replace the old A80 Supra that was sitting in the design facility, and said, "Oh, I just want to back this old car into the line of other previous Supra models before it, and finally have a new one... It's embarrassing that the A80, is so aged and we'd not had one to replace it sooner. We need one that can run with the European cars now." He also added, “I need a Nurburgring-worthy car in our lineup”
We took this seriously and refocused often to drive at what this was to be.

And BMW folks started to see the energy in what this meant for Toyota too.

And in some respect, started to back off with the usual adamancy of how they see fit, so that we can focus on the "SUPRA," that part which is distinct from their car.

We do a lot of testing on the Nurburgring, and yes with the BMW staff too and their design teams working on both cars.
It is a shared platform to an extent, and some things just get accomplished this way faster.
However, we work separately just as much, and we expend a lot of time ourselves as Toyota to make adjustments in suspension tuning, and character of how shifters respond.
We have a different goal for the Supra and the Z4. Handing is very different now, and we have our own Master Driver from TME who’s an accomplished Nur-Meister, making sure the car exhibits superb driving feel at extreme speeds.

The Competition, and the Character

A lot of people assume, like the 86/BRZ the difference is minimal and just a styling difference divide these cars from ours to the BMW. I will say it now. Officially. That is not the case.

The whole thing wasn’t based even on the goal to achieve a less expensive development or subcontracting of any sorts. This was a collaboration that drives at broadening of possibilities, when two different minds and systems, and culture and history, that will enhance a car, and eventually, prowess and forte for both companies. Not just in exterior panels, but even in the interior too. There isn’t much that be seen as shared-components in how the car feels. Down to even shift knobs, they are different. Of course, major components are shared, such as engine and carriages, but even the tuning of the engine and transmission are different too.

I will elaborate that the target for this A90, was the Porsche Cayman. While the location of the engine is very different, the driving pleasure you’d get will be something I would like to have you drive and feel for yourself.
We are confident in this regard.

You can see also that we used a lot of styling cues from the A80 Supra, and that was a something we felt adamantly to include from the start.

Many of the model concepts to this day, all have that shape, from FT1 to now. The rear fender bulge was something that wasn’t easy to shape for production machinery you know!

The A90 has a neutral steer character.

On the raceway of course, that’s a given for this caliber sports car. But we worked hard to make this handling consistent over many roads. We’ve tested countless distances and months. From the French Alps, to long continental drives in the USA, and narrow streets of Japan. We’ve put so much distance on this car that I can’t recall exactly all the places we have been in my head. But from this long term testing cycle, living day to day we find more things to refine. The A90 Supra is a 2 seat car. There wasn’t a firm consensus or early decision to choose it as such, but after many revisions, we simply derived that this was the ideal form, for how we want this car. Simple, and no compromise there.

Who is it made for?

As for the pricing you ask. Well at the start, we didn’t put a constraint on the price. There was no target really. Just that we would make a car that more people can afford and share the experience of what we created as a team. I mean we can make anything if the price wasn’t an issue. But cars over $100,000 USD would certainly limit the number of buyers, and that just wasn’t our goal for this.

To keep things in check, there isn’t much formed out of anything too expensive like carbon fibers.

Sure, you saw some on the Supra Racing Concept, but for production, it is entirely designed to be attainable.

And that Racing Concept can be an example for the aftermarket as well. If the customer chooses to take it another level for sports driving dedicated purpose.

Truly a Sports Car.

The best trait of the inline-6 engines are the smooth, responsive operation. That's been a trait of sports and luxury cars in the past.

When driving at the very edge, the inline 6’s prove to be such an asset as it will respond to the driver predictably and smoothly. That is important so as not to upset the attitude of the car on the edge of tire adhesion.

But we didn’t just refine it to a point where it became boring either. While retaining the smooth feel, we also worked very hard on the transmission to shift very quickly. The A90 will give you each gear with consistent split-second timing. It isn’t programmed to be watery and muted, it will give you a positive feedback at each shift to engage you.

We did leave a quite a bit of room for conversions into racing chassis too. Whether it be Toyota’s own GR operations to come, in many series around the world, or for individual owners and teams to strip it to a racing platform. Aerodynamics in this regard was carefully approached.

Not since the LFA have we spent so much time on the air around and under the car. We’ve designed the floor shape so that the airflow produces downforce, and guides air into pockets where we left open for additions of things like oil coolers too.
And transmission cooling lines, diff cooler space? Sure, we left dedicated spaces for that too.

People asked me about Nurburgring lap times. I don’t want to make a promise, as that greatly depends on the level of driving and conditions, but accomplished drivers in testing were consistently in the 7 minute range. The car is very honest at the limits, and again neutral-steer. Push and tuck are at the will of the driver. The turn-in for this car is unusually responsive for a car with an inline-6 in front, but it still manages to be extremely stable at high speed cruise at well over 200km/h.

Part of the secret to this newly found stability and response in handling is the new differential gear unit that was developed for this car. I can’t elaborate at this time, but please look forward to the release of information on this unit.

As a prideful flagship this will be, it will see continual and incremental development, in small bits for many years. And knowing that, we have designed the base platform and drivetrain to be at a level beyond anything we previously made at Toyota or BMW.
It was difficult to achieve a good balance using a very big inline 6 engine. But for that goal, BMW, had even done a late-development redesign once at great expense.

They just felt our goals were worthy enough, to lower center of gravity further by dropping the engine to a plane that was previously deemed too difficult.

BMW just came though like this for many things, to get this car done right. They felt it, and we were adamant about it.

As the car became more capable, we just made the decision to go delve further into what was possible, each time a goal was met. And we pressed on further past it.

And that was a surprise too, thinking how difficult it was to even talk just 4~5 years ago.

We’ve come a long way, and we will present you this car shortly, along with more details. Stay tuned.

___

That was the words of Mr.Tada, and graciously taking the time with enthusiasts all over the world.
In his words as a project lead, the Chief Engineer, and more importantly, as a car-guy.

We really can't wait.

Written / Translated by Moto Miwa

SOURCE:
Some content translated from a Japanese article, "新型スープラ開発責任者 多田哲哉氏が語ったBMWとの共同開発の舞台裏" by Holiday Auto (Japan)
An interview with Chief Engineer of the A90 Supra, Tetsuya Tada.
Along with accounts of what I have also discussed first hand with Mr.Tada.

Last edited by supra93; 07-20-2018 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #782
supra93
Colonel
Rep

"⁣Supra goes Madrid" - Toyota Europe invites to drive the new A90

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/%E2...ew-supra.1345/

Quote:
With an official announcement, the new Toyota Supra was last presented to the public at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the USA and personally raced over the track by Toyota boss Tetsuya Tada.

When Toyota publishes press releases on the new Supra with increasing frequency, or watches more and more events, the official sales of the new Toyota Supra are not far off.

Agile fun car

With every event more and more details become known. Last to the engine and the model types. In addition to the 335-hp 6-series engine, there should also be a lightweight and equally turbocharged variant (B48B20) with a 4-cylinder engine from BMW. Both variants will have the ZF-8HP51HIS 8-speed automatic transmission. With these two Supra models Toyota pursues the previous concept, as it was with the previous model MK4. The GE and the more powerful GTE turbo version.

Contrary to rumors at the time of many portals and blogs, both models are to be sold normally under the Toyota brand. In fact interesting is the version sold under the sports label GR, as you already know from other models like the Yaris. However, there are no facts yet and the rumors move between hybrid propulsion and an output of over 400 hp.

Together with the engineers of the GT86, the new Supra is just as much an agile fun car as the GT86 already is. A kind of combination of old Supra and the GT86 model.

Presentation in Madrid

From 18 to 20 September, the new Supra will now be presented to the public in Europe at the Track Day event in Madrid, to which we have been invited as one of Toyota Europe's largest and oldest community. On the spot, we should not only make an impression of the (probably still veiled pre-series), but may also even drive the new Toyota Supra A90 test.

Of course, we would like to inform you about this event, of course, ask all possible questions and reports about the driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 12:46 PM   #783
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Tetsuda:

"I think the new Supra will be the last present from Toyota to those who enjoy hearing the pleasing sound of a pure petrol engine at high revs."

Eeeek.

Get 'em while they're hot!
If this is how ICE is going out, maybe it's not such a bad thing?
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      07-22-2018, 12:48 PM   #784
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm1z View Post
Is anyone else having a hard time with this? The MKIV was the end-all for me.

I will say that the size looks promising. I'm sure it will be fun to drive.
But this just seems like a "suped" up (pun intended) 86.

And at a starting price (for the V6) reported at $63k? No thanks!

What am I missing?
it appears to be that buy size, dimensions, engine---they are strictly aiming this to disrupt the Porsche Cayman market. If they priced it at $50K it would be able to disrupt that market but honestly WHO is going to have this at $65-70k over a mid-engined Porsche?! really doesn't make sense to me.

It's like if someone were delusional enough to soup up an M4 and price it similar to a 911 GT3 and expect it to sell! oh wait.....lol.
      07-23-2018, 12:48 PM   #785
supra93
Colonel
Rep

New 2019 Toyota Supra: latest pics, specs and details

Quote:
The next-generation A90 Toyota Supra has made its dynamic debut in the UK. Here is all we know about the Japanese performance car...

The all-new Toyota Supra will be revealed early next year and as part of the build up to one of the most eagerly-anticipated performance car launches of the year, a disguised production model has been officially tested in public for the first time.

We’d previously seen the model testing while wearing detail-masking camouflage, and Auto Express reader Johnny Daly snapped photos of the fifth generation of the iconic sports car on UK soil in right-hand-drive form.

We already have a good idea of what to expect from the Porsche 718 Cayman rival; the GR Supra Racing Concept that was the star of the 2018 Geneva Motor Show gave us a thinly veiled glimpse at what to expect from the new coupe. It is being developed by Toyota’s Gazoo Racing performance division, but in partnership with BMW, which is basing the new Z4 on the same platform.

Speaking at the Geneva show, Supra Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada said a front-mounted six-cylinder turbocharged engine powering the rear wheels was the configuration favoured by owners and aficionados of previous versions of the Supra. His comments tally with information recently leaked that the car would offer up 330bhp from an in-line six.

The Supra promises to be an uncompromising road car. Tada described the Supra, which has been benchmarked against the Porsche 718 Cayman and 911, as a “pure sports car”. He believes it will be “quite different” from the forthcoming BMW Z4, with which it is related. Both cars’ original concepts were visualised separately, before the common parts were defined. He said parts shared across both models will be fewer than many people imagine, and even then, many will be calibrated differently.

While the show car features an automatic transmission, he revealed that a manual gearbox is still the subject of internal discussions. He continued: “We are aware there is a huge fanbase for the previous models around the world, so we made sure to interview them to hear their expectations and opinions before we started the project.”

As a darling of the tuner scene, Tada expects the Supra to be modified by owners to their own liking – even if those modifications aren’t sourced from Toyota, Gazoo Racing or their official partners. He went as far to say that Toyota “wouldn’t interfere” where modifications are concerned as previous experience points to the kinds “appropriate” modifications owners make to their GT86s.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/...cs-and-details
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2018, 11:34 PM   #786
supra93
Colonel
Rep

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/mos...18.803/page-27

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 12:03 PM   #787
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      07-27-2018, 12:00 PM   #788
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Appreciate 3
      07-30-2018, 12:55 AM   #789
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 01:23 PM   #790
supra93
Colonel
Rep

The NASCAR Toyota Supra’s Big Nose Actually Makes it Faster

Quote:
Last month it was announced the Toyota Supra would join the NASCAR Xfinity series for the 2019 season. The radical-looking Supra NASCAR body looks very different from the Camaro and Mustang XFinity Series bodies. You can thank the California-based team at Toyota’s Calty Design Research studio for that, which wanted the composite body to look as close to the production A90 Supra as possible. To do this, they incorporated the new Supra’s rather pronounced nose, but it wasn’t as easy as just submitting the design to NASCAR, group vice president and technical director for Toyota Racing Development, Andy Graves told us in an interview.

“Right at the start Calty did that design (with the nose),” Graves said. “Actually, the very first version with that center ‘snorkel’ on the hood, it actually stuck out from the front bumper like 2 and a half inches. Very, very pronounced. It actually looked much cooler than even what we have right now.”

But the original design protruded a bit too much, so the team went back to the drawing board and came up with a less exaggerated version. Toyota then ran the design past NASCAR to ensure they hadn’t broken any rules. After all, no one had tried to implement such a design on a NASCAR body before.

“First we had to go to NASCAR because the lower half of the nose is a common piece amongst all three manufacturers, so from the split line, the lower half, that’s a mandatory part,” Graves explained. “No one has ever produced anything for the top surface of the nose that stuck out past the bottom half. So we had to make sure, even though it wasn’t in the rule book, that NASCAR wasn’t going to come back when we tried to get it submitted and rule that out, but they were fine.”

Then Graves and his team turned their attention toward the aerodynamic advantage, or disadvantage, the nose provided. It turned out the ‘snorkel’, as Toyota refers to it, actually improved airflow at the front of the vehicle in some way – although Graves didn’t elaborate on exactly how this works.

“It’s definitely helped us on the aero side, it ended up being a great design feature that we worked out,” Graves said. “We were very fortunate that ended up being a (positive) styling effect, on the Supra. When we first looked at it (the Supra’s nose) we said ‘we’re not sure that’s going to work’ but it ended up being a positive for us.”

You’re probably wondering the same we did when we looked at the NASCAR Supra’s protruding nose: “how’s that going to work in the bump draft, though?” The smart minds at TRD thought of this (of course) and ran the design past their star drivers to ensure this wouldn’t be a problem.

“We talked to Kyle (Busch), talked to Erik Jones and talked to Christopher Bell to make sure that the nose protruding like that was not going to mess them up in any way as far as bump drafting goes,” Graves said. “They were all perfectly fine, they said as long as you make it strong enough that we don’t smash in that piece then we’ll be more than happy with it. We’ve run some simulations, and actually, if you get far enough over to the side, by the time you get out that far, you’re not going to hook him or anything. So that’s not an issue.”

The Toyota Supra’s appearance in NASCAR’s second tier Xfinity Series will happen around the same time the road car debuts in early 2019. The Supra is a bit of an odd choice for NASCAR, if you ask us, but the automaker is insistent on taking the sports car racing everywhere – ovals included. You can thank chief engineer Tetsuya Tada for helping to employ that mindset. Tada would also like to see the car race at Le Mans one day, but the automaker hasn’t committed to anything official yet with the FIA.

We’re excited for the road-going Supra to debut and all, but we’re really excited to watch NASCAR’s XFinity Series drivers bop each other in the rear with the Supra’s big nose (or snorkel, whichever you prefer) at superspeedways like Talladega and Daytona.
https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...es-faster.html

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 10:09 PM   #791
supra93
Colonel
Rep

A translation by SupraMKV member zakira.

Quote:
I would translate the last two paragraphs of the blue section of that article as follows:

"Besides the suspension modifications, a 3 pedal MT is being prepared. Although Tada hinted that there would only be AT, because of strong market demand for an MT, the consideration/preparation for it has already started. BMW already offers an inline 6 turbo with an MT in other models, so it is not technically unfeasible."

I don't know what magazine this is nor do they quote any source, but I remember Tada-san saying in that one on one interview a while back, that he never said that there wouldn't be an MT, and that if there is strong enough demand for it, they will offer it.

Last edited by supra93; 08-02-2018 at 12:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 10:28 PM   #792
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Does BMW offer an inline six and a manual once the F3x ends production? I realize the rumor is that the Z4 will have a manual, so it's certainly possible, but outside of the G8x and the Z4, BMW is largely out of the manual game. Oops, and the M2c (although I'm not sure if it will be in production any longer than the F8x.)
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread