Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Hey everyone, this may concern some of you or all of you. Sign if you'd like.

https://www.sema.org/epa-news
jmack550.00
E46ZHP254.00
      03-16-2021, 06:47 PM   #112
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

signed/sent to reps
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 08:07 AM   #113
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
signed/sent to reps
      03-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #114
Idfkman
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Anyone heard about this?

https://www.sema.org/epa-news

"Street vehicles—cars, trucks, and motorcycles—can't be converted into racecars according to the EPA.

The EPA has announced that enforcement against high performance parts—including superchargers, tuners, and exhaust systems—is a top priority."
      03-19-2021, 10:40 AM   #115
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

This has already been discussed at length. It’s an attempt to insulate manufacturers of illegal tuning parts from the provisions of the Clean Air Act. The EPA doesn’t give a shit about racecars, but they do care about punishing companies which intentionally defeat emissions equipment that enables your idiot neighbor to roll coal down the street. SEMA is trying to scare you into thinking racing will be banned, when in actuality the bill exists simply to protect companies that circumvent the law and make it impossible to enforce the use of federally mandated vehicle emissions equipment. It’s a step back to the horrid air quality of the 1970s-1980s.
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7609.00
      03-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #116
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

"The epa can kiss my shiny metal ass" - my car

I get it, they always need to be moving forward and and they can't go after the livelihoods of landscapers with their two stroke small engines. So they go after our past times and recreational vehicles. Same thing happened about 20 years ago for two stroke off road vehicles..at least technology has gotten us to a place where we can be happy with cars off the showroom floors if we can't modify/remove emissions equipment. I'll fill out the petition for sure.

It would really suck for the drag racing community.
MikeD943.00
      03-19-2021, 11:34 AM   #117
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Some agency (possibly SEMA) is attempting to make it look as though there’s a grassroots effort to pass the RPM Act.

Check out this letter to the editor of the Red Bluff, CA Daily News:

https://www.redbluffdailynews.com/20...s-the-rpm-act/

Quote:
I respectfully request that Congress pass the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act. The bipartisan RPM Act protects the right to convert an automobile or motorcycle into a racecar used exclusively at the track.

Modifying a vehicle into a racecar is an integral part of America’s automotive heritage. Many types of racing, including NASCAR, were founded on the premise that street vehicles, including motorcycles, can be converted into dedicated race vehicles. Racing events are an economic driver for many communities and a source of affordable family-friendly entertainment for millions, with participants that range from professionals to novices using converted race vehicles.

Congress never intended for the Clean Air Act (CAA) to apply to motor vehicles modified for competition use only. However, the EPA maintains that CAA requires converted vehicles driven exclusively on the track to remain emissions-compliant.

The RPM Act clarifies that transforming motor vehicles into racecars used exclusively for competition does not violate the CAA. It is imperative that Congress passes the RPM Act to provide long-term certainty to racers and motorsports parts businesses.

— Tamera Schromm, Corning
How about this letter to the editor of the Jamestown Sun from “Dylan Schumacher”:
https://www.jamestownsun.com/opinion...otorsports-Act

Quote:
I respectfully request that Congress pass the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act. The bipartisan RPM Act protects the right to convert an automobile or motorcycle into a racecar used exclusively at the track.

Modifying a vehicle into a racecar is an integral part of America's automotive heritage. Many types of racing, including NASCAR, were founded on the premise that street vehicles, including motorcycles, can be converted into dedicated race vehicles. Racing events are an economic driver for many communities and a source of affordable family-friendly entertainment for millions, with participants that range from professionals to novices using converted race vehicles.

Congress never intended for the Clean Air Act (CAA) to apply to motor vehicles modified for competition use only. However, the EPA maintains that CAA requires converted vehicles driven exclusively on the track to remain emissions-compliant.

The RPM Act clarifies that transforming motor vehicles into racecars used exclusively for competition does not violate the CAA. It is imperative that Congress passes the RPM Act to provide long-term certainty to racers and motorsports parts businesses.
How about this one from several people, and sent to the paper in Lima, Ohio. https://www.limaohio.com/opinion/let...es-motorsports

Stop me if you’ve heard this.
Quote:
We respectfully request that Congress pass the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act. The bipartisan RPM Act protects the right to convert an automobile or motorcycle into a racecar used exclusively at the track.

Modifying a vehicle into a racecar is an integral part of America’s automotive heritage. Many types of racing, including NASCAR, were founded on the premise that street vehicles, including motorcycles, can be converted into dedicated race vehicles. Racing events are an economic driver for many communities and a source of affordable family-friendly entertainment for millions, with participants that range from professionals to novices using converted race vehicles.

Peter Merkle, Fort Jennings

Cameron Martindale, Lima

Justin Elliott, Wapakoneta

Kyle Kuhbander, Lima

Trishina Jeffries, Coldwater
I stirred up a hornets nest on YouTube by simply posting a link to the proposed bill. Everyone there is up in arms because they think the EPA is coming after their racecars, and they have no clue what the bill actually says.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 11:40 AM   #118
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

polution from the aviation industry is way worse than anything we are capable of doing.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 12:18 PM   #119
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
This topic obviously predates the forum ban on political discussion.
While this is a bill in the US Congress, which inevitably has political undertones, this thread will not be a place for political bashing or outright discussions on political affiliations. There is to be no spillover of other political topics into this thread.

This thread exists only to discuss the merits and counterpoints of the RPM Act as well as its potential effects on the car enthusiast community.
Discussions surrounding the effects on the environment is limited to scientific talk only.

The moderators and administrators reserve the right to use their own discretion and will remove posts without warning. Flagrant/repeat violators will receive infractions and/or bans.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 2
RugbyBro7609.00
      03-19-2021, 05:11 PM   #120
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
Some agency (possibly SEMA) is attempting to make it look as though there’s a grassroots effort to pass the RPM Act.

Check out this letter to the editor of the Red Bluff, CA Daily News:

https://www.redbluffdailynews.com/20...s-the-rpm-act/

How about this letter to the editor of the Jamestown Sun from “Dylan Schumacher”:
https://www.jamestownsun.com/opinion...otorsports-Act

How about this one from several people, and sent to the paper in Lima, Ohio. https://www.limaohio.com/opinion/let...es-motorsports

Stop me if you’ve heard this.

I stirred up a hornets nest on YouTube by simply posting a link to the proposed bill. Everyone there is up in arms because they think the EPA is coming after their racecars, and they have no clue what the bill actually says.
Lol, uhh yes, that's the generic response that SEMA gives to people who want to give their Reps their opinion on the RPM act. You click the link on Sema's site to comment to your reps and it gives you the form/letter all filled out to quickly and easily send it to them directly from their site.

The RPM act lays out exactly what SEMA states it is trying to do according to the official link you posted to the Bill, so not sure what you are talking about?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 12:05 AM   #121
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 12:56 AM   #122
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

AFAIK there's no explicit bill or legislative effort that is currently seeking to restrict people's ability to turn their street cars into race cars. All that's referenced is a 2015 rule change proposal that didn't go anywhere.

All I read out of the RPM Act is an industry interest bill seeking to remove liability for aftermarket manufacturers in the case that their off-road products are used on-road. And lets be frank about it, this wouldn't be an issue if a significant amount of people who bought these products didn't use them on-road. It's 2021... you can get horsepower and remain emissions compliant, and the majority of people I'm seeing push this bill aren't actually running race cars.
      03-21-2021, 11:21 AM   #123
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I don't know how you don't see that as being a problem at all. If I want to have headers on my car I should be able to and be liable myself depending on current state laws that were pushed forward by my local dirt bag bureaucrats.

Having a manufacturer be liable for what they put out is a dangerous thing for them as the US is a very sue happy place, they just won't make shit for your car that will modify its performance or very few things if anything. Get ready to "mod" your M4 with a carbon fiber front lip and tire stickers because there will be no more downpipes :^)

Ridiculous that anyone here in this forum supports this kind of government behavior when there are much larger issues than a minuscule crowd of car enthusiasts driving their cars with modified emissions equipment. I would pay to see how much damage we actually do to the environment compared to ANY other sector, people barbecuing probably damage the earth more.
Appreciate 2
      03-21-2021, 11:58 AM   #124
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
AFAIK there's no explicit bill or legislative effort that is currently seeking to restrict people's ability to turn their street cars into race cars. All that's referenced is a 2015 rule change proposal that didn't go anywhere.

All I read out of the RPM Act is an industry interest bill seeking to remove liability for aftermarket manufacturers in the case that their off-road products are used on-road. And lets be frank about it, this wouldn't be an issue if a significant amount of people who bought these products didn't use them on-road. It's 2021... you can get horsepower and remain emissions compliant, and the majority of people I'm seeing push this bill aren't actually running race cars.
So what is your recommendation for companies who list their products for "off-road and competition use only". How does that company make sure all their customers are following the rules?

Because right now, the status quo is for the federal gov to sue these small companies into the ground and they are closing. Which I am sure that is the intent of the people running the EPA.
Appreciate 2
      03-21-2021, 12:22 PM   #125
_X
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Red Int. M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
So what is your recommendation for companies who list their products for "off-road and competition use only". How does that company make sure all their customers are following the rules?

Because right now, the status quo is for the federal gov to sue these small companies into the ground and they are closing. Which I am sure that is the intent of the people running the EPA.
If you have emissions laws in your state, city, or county, then that will verify that you are in compliance. If someone reinstalls cats to pass emissions then sure they will circumvent the regulations.

Why should the manufacturer have to ensure compliance? Government wants regulations, then they should be responsible for enforcing them. Why do we not put the onus on the individual? Individuals need to be responsible for their actions.

Additionally, by doing this we place another billion plus dollar industry in jeopardy.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2021, 12:36 PM   #126
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

There are companies on this forum who have had the hammer put down on them.

Burger tuning no longer sells exhaust products on their site. They are gone. This what is coming. They sold downpipes and exhaust, labeled for competition use only. Well they got contacted by the government and poof gone. Instead of fighting it they just gave in. They tried to follow the rules and even stop selling certain parts to California residents, in the end gov got their way. All exhaust products are gone from their site.

You think this stops with rolling coal or downpipes for your BMW. I've got news for you, it doesn't. Give the gov an inch, they will take a mile. It will come to the point when someone wants to do a track car build or off road build, the aftermarket parts are not going be there to purchase.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2021, 12:42 PM   #127
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Here is SEMA most recent position in regards in one of EPA's current lawsuits.

Amicus brief: https://sites.sema.org/ext-assets/se...llenge_Release
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 01:03 PM   #128
_X
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
There are companies on this forum who have had the hammer put down on them.

Burger tuning no longer sells exhaust products on their site. They are gone. This what is coming. They sold downpipes and exhaust, labeled for competition use only. Well they got contacted by the government and poof gone. Instead of fighting it they just gave in. They tried to follow the rules and even stop selling certain parts to California residents, in the end gov got their way. All exhaust products are gone from their site.

You think this stops with rolling coal or downpipes for your BMW. I've got news for you, it doesn't. Give the gov an inch, they will take a mile. It will come to the point when someone wants to do a track car build or off road build, the aftermarket parts are not going be there to purchase.

Whole heartedly agree.

In a decade or two, will they go as far as to place limitations on how many miles you can put on your ICE vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 01:47 PM   #129
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I’m not going to get political as this thread is slowly inching that direction. Here’s a vague solution, a national registry of VIN’d cars turned race car that cannot be registered as a street vehicle with any municipality. Then all a manufacturer has to do is cross check the VIN you provide for purchase. Therefore people who truly care about “grassroots” motorsports will have a clear as day exemption and aftermarket companies are held to a slightly higher standard than a promise that their customers won’t use them on-road.

At the end of the day the EPA is going after companies that make these products because they are so widely used on street vehicles that it is not practically possible to go after individual vehicles. I’m not for or against it but I’m just calling it as it is... this is not about “grassroots” motorsports, it’s about continuing to allow aftermarket companies to sell products that will find their way into street vehicles a significant amount of the time. Emissions isn’t a hill I’m going to die on because we live in the age of 700hp ICE cars that are compliant.
      03-21-2021, 01:56 PM   #130
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
I don't know how you don't see that as being a problem at all. If I want to have headers on my car I should be able to and be liable myself depending on current state laws that were pushed forward by my local dirt bag bureaucrats.

Having a manufacturer be liable for what they put out is a dangerous thing for them as the US is a very sue happy place, they just won't make shit for your car that will modify its performance or very few things if anything. Get ready to "mod" your M4 with a carbon fiber front lip and tire stickers because there will be no more downpipes :^)

Ridiculous that anyone here in this forum supports this kind of government behavior when there are much larger issues than a minuscule crowd of car enthusiasts driving their cars with modified emissions equipment. I would pay to see how much damage we actually do to the environment compared to ANY other sector, people barbecuing probably damage the earth more.
They’re not supposed to be making those items to begin with - cats aren’t new. And again, emissions equipment is not a roadblock to power anymore so there’s even less of an argument for gutting emissions controls in modern vehicles than there was even 10 years ago. Literally the only thing this effects is tuning/exhaust, which is only one aspect of modding so don’t act like it’s the end all be all. At the end of the day if you modify your engine/exhaust from what was approved for sale, just be ready to un-mod it. FWIW I’m neither for or against RPM act, but just calling it as I see it.
      03-21-2021, 01:57 PM   #131
_X
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
I’m not going to get political as this thread is slowly inching that direction. Here’s a vague solution, a national registry of VIN’d cars turned race car that cannot be registered as a street vehicle with any municipality. Then all a manufacturer has to do is cross check the VIN you provide for purchase. Therefore people who truly care about “grassroots” motorsports will have a clear as day exemption and aftermarket companies are held to a slightly higher standard than a promise that their customers won’t use them on-road.

At the end of the day the EPA is going after companies that make these products because they are so widely used on street vehicles that it is not practically possible to go after individual vehicles. I’m not for or against it but I’m just calling it as it is... this is not about “grassroots” motorsports, it’s about continuing to allow aftermarket companies to sell products that will find their way into street vehicles a significant amount of the time. Emissions isn’t a hill I’m going to die on because we live in the age of 700hp ICE cars that are compliant.
Emissions and emissions sniffers on roadways with cameras that send tickets registered owners of vehicles that do not pass emissions regulations. These are already in use so why target businesses? Not their responsibility or fault for how an individual chooses to utilize their products?

Your proposed solution, while not the worst, transfers the responsibility from the government or the individual to the business. This will drive up the cost of their products and I imagine many will cancel production of products that fall into these categories for fear of legal costs or other repercussions.

Any consideration for the impact on the economy and jobs this would have? The forfeiture of freedom to make decisions for yourselves?

Last edited by _X; 03-21-2021 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 02:09 PM   #132
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X View Post
Emissions and emissions sniffers on roadways with cameras that send tickets registered owners of vehicles that do not pass emissions regulations. These are already in use so why target businesses? Not their responsibility or fault for how an individual chooses to utilize their products?

Your proposed solution, while not the worst, transfers the responsibility from the government or the individual to the business. This will drive up the cost of their products and I imagine many will cancel production of products that fall into these categories for fear of legal costs or other repercussions.
There are all sorts of logistical issues with my "solution" but the point I'm trying to get across is if we truly car about "grassroots motorsports" and race cars - we can put our heads together and figure out a real solution that would make those vehicles exempt and penalize people who abuse the rule. The reason you go after the business is not because of principle but because of practice... that a significant amount of these "mods" are making it to the street.

Trust me, I get it - having all these mods available to us feels great, and it will suck to lose them but they aren't supposed to be out there to begin with. I don't have secondary cats on my car, but if battle lines are drawn then I'll weld them back on if I have to. I have enough people around me running their cat-less setup and ak47 popcorn tunes, that I honestly have no sympathy or empathy for people who can't do that anymore.